Notifications
Clear all

Acceptance Movement

MemberMember
(@cutecutetropicalfruit)

Posted : 05/28/2016 11:27 pm

There's a huge push these days to accept all forms of beauty and that all women are beautiful. specifically in size. People are becoming increasingly more politically correct about size, fat, and "everyone is beautiful". There has been immense progress! Women of all sizes are empowered and pegged as beauty icons. Go them! Here's a movement that still needs to happen.
GIRLS WITH ACNE.
No beauty or style icon I know of has acne. Sure they have zits, but that's not acne. Yet an estimated 85 percent of teens have acne. We feel sidelined and ostracized. Feeling ugly because of something we can't control. Looked over, because beauty is currency, and our monetary system has exclusively clear skin. I want to see a girl on the red carpet with acne I want us to stop feeling incompetent. I want a model to show up on vogue but guess what she has some cystic acne. I want that to not be weird. I want acne to be normalized. Because acne is normal. Acne is the norm-- not the exception. So, let's make this happen for the sake of all girls out there just like us with a a voice muffled by the acne they can't control.

jwalk liked
MemberMember
(@jwalk)

Posted : 05/29/2016 5:38 am

Its progress of a kind I suppose.

Im not a woman and at the risk of straying into militant feminist territory, I think the everyone is beautiful movement does more harm than good, largely because it seems to mix up the concepts of aesthetic beauty and inner beauty. It still objectifies women, implying that they will be judge primarily on their physical appearance and that the only way to negate this is to convince society that all women are physically beautiful in their own way. I would prefer something like an everyone is worthy regardless of their appearance movement.

The fashion/ modelling industry is inherently shallow, Im not sure why people expect it to be anything other than this. They dont make those pictures to make people feel good about themselves, they do it to sell products. They make up images of what people want to have. No one wants to have acne, so their images dont show any.

MemberMember
(@cutecutetropicalfruit)

Posted : 05/29/2016 1:45 pm

I think you said perfectly what I was trying to. I really appreciate that. I'm sick and tired of being overlooked and treated differently because of acne.

jwalk liked
MemberMember
(@unspecified)

Posted : 05/29/2016 2:16 pm

YES! I'm almost tired of seeing pro body image messages, not because I disagree with them but because it reminds me of the lack of acceptance for other 'flaws' like acne, bad teeth, balding, or physical deformities (which some acne can count as)