Notifications
Clear all

Acne how it has impacted me

MemberMember
(@snake3741)

Posted : 04/17/2016 10:01 pm

I'm just writing this because I have all this emotion built up and just want people to see what I'm going through. I don't know where to start but although acne has not destroyed my life, it has NOT let me live the life I want ( I think others would consider this as getting their life destroyed) Acne literally changed me to the opposite of who I really am. My true self is a funny cool and sociable confident guy but now I'm literally all the opposite.
I'm 22 I haven't even lived life yet and I'm set to grow old and do nothing with my life. Acne is preventing me from moving forward in life and that is a very depressing thought for me. If my acne and all the damage it has caused my skin were to go away it will literally fix ALL my problems I have. And what tears me apart are my thoughts of what I would have already had if I didn't have acne. And even if I didn't get what I wanted although I didn't have acne I know for fact I'll will be in the process of getting it. If I didn't have acne I know I would have a lot money saved up a girlfriend and in the process of pursuing my education. Which are the main things I want in life. No girlfriend why because of acne which leads to no confidence and awkward conversations, no money because acne Treatments are expensive , and since my face defines who I am I will absolutely try anything for improvement lasers, chemicals anything I don't care how much it costs. I have already spent 6000 on lasers that didn't work and in fact made it worse by working minimum wage. No school because I know i will fail because if I go back to school I need to be100 % focused which I am not and need nothing holding me back.i think people would have had acne and got clear skin are much happier than people who never had acne. If I were to cure my acne nothing will upset me ! A girl doesn't like me back! I don't care I got clear skin! My
Day is going bad ! I don't care I got clear skin! i will always lean back on that ! I just hope one day I will be satisfied with how my skin looks and live the life I want but I don't know when that day will come or if it even comes which is a thought that scares me, but I just hope.....

MemberMember
(@kasyani)

Posted : 04/18/2016 2:07 am

Yes you are right in what you write,my life kick started when I was 25 (32 years ago ), despite losing 10 years the confidence is greater as your thinking but there not aware,look at my now clear face but saying that I never suffered from scarring.
My daughter has the same condition as me,so I have been able to prevent her spots.
You don't mention the severity of your acne ?

MemberMember
(@jensweetone)

Posted : 04/19/2016 11:18 am

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'm pretty sure the majority of us here can relate to every bit of what you said. Hang in there friend.

MemberMember
(@ugurl)

Posted : 04/19/2016 10:06 pm

I can relate a lot to what you said. I agree while acne doesn't destroy your life it does fundamentally change who you are as a person. I used to be the kind of person who would participate in every activity because I loved having fun and hanging out with people, and until recently there were days I didn't even want to get out of bed or step outside of my house. And I'm not that type of person at all. I used to be so fun loving and now all I can think about is my appearance. I tell others to not be shallow and judge other people based on their personality and their character but I don't even do that to myself. But you know what, i think the older you get, you realize that there are some very ugly people with perfect skin and some incredible people who have less than 'perfect' skin. If you want a girlfriend, you can get one! There are people out there who will see you for the person that you are so don't give up on that front. I understand it can be difficult to muster up the courage to start a conversation, but it isn't impossible :) 

I know this isn't what you asked but, I feel so badly that you have tried so many procedures and spent so much money I wanted to tell you what worked for me. I'm in month 2.5 on using doxycycline tablets and tretinoin 0.025% and it has made such a drastic change in my appearance!! I went to the dermatologist ready to ask for the strongest laser or chemical peel they had and was a bit disappointed in walking away with the doxy and tretinoin but honestly this is all that has worked for me. Tretinoin has literally changed the texture and tone of my skin! It looks like it's glowing now and the scars are fading. It is a holy grail product but it requires some patience. Total cost, with an average insurance (It didn't cover the derm visit, but partially covered the meds) was Derm visit: $100, Tretinoin $10, and Doxy $10. Before this I had tried hundreds of OTC and "specialized" skin treatments even going as far as to get microdermabrasion to no avail., so to me, the cost was worth it. So, if you haven't tried it yet, I would certainly give it a go. And please stay positive, you're already doing great. Surrounding yourself with other people who are going through the same things is a step in the right direction. In the mean time, don't give up on things that make you happy. There are young women out there (like myself) who are capable of getting to know and entering into a relationship with a man whose skin may not be perfect. Keep your chin up always!!

MemberMember
(@mmm999)

Posted : 04/28/2016 8:46 pm

Im really similar to you. Acne gets in the way I live. Im failing school because of it, have ruined many relationships because I was so insecure. Hang in there, I hope the best for you. Things will get better even if you think they won't right now. They will. I even have to try to convince myself that things will get better because it feels as if its an ongoing cycle of misery.

Snake3741 liked
MemberMember
(@kasyani)

Posted : 04/30/2016 12:08 am

On 4/29/2016 at 2:46 AM, MMM999 said:

Im really similar to you. Acne gets in the way I live. Im failing school because of it, have ruined many relationships because I was so insecure. Hang in there, I hope the best for you. Things will get better even if you think they won't right now. They will. I even have to try to convince myself that things will get better because it feels as if its an ongoing cycle of misery.

how would you describe your acne

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 05/01/2016 8:12 am

You've been giving some good advice from our very supportive community. Here is another one. Be proactive in changing your mindset. You may not have a handle on your skin and that's out of your control but you can change how you respond to it, think about it, etc. I see a therapist for my depression and I've come to realize that my acne is only one part of my insecurities. I view myself as ugly so I shy away from people and activities. I make assumptions about what others are thinking and saying about me and even if my assumptions were right, i put too much stock into what they think. Solutions, get therapy if you can afford to and start changing those thinking patterns. I started in September of last year, thinking about suicide because of my acne and many months later, I still have bad skin BUT I have more of an nvestment in my life, my contribution to society the fact that I am so much more than what people see.

Its hard to do this and progress is never linear but you my dear are worth the investment.