Notifications
Clear all

*please Read* This Will Change Your Life

MemberMember
(@rkelly21)

Posted : 08/23/2015 9:22 pm

I have suffered from acne for the past 5 years or so.

In the first few years it was the worst. My face was completely covered in cysts, and there wasn't a clear inch on my face. I'm deadly serious.

Obviously, it affected my self esteem greatly. I could never look at someone in the eye. I had to take social "time outs", as I became weary of how I had to fend off looks from people.

Nonetheless, by God's grace I was captain of my high school basketball team. I managed to get a girlfriend, and had stellar high school results that enabled me to get into a university of my choice. On the surface, it seemed as if I had it all. (Incl acne of course)

I've always put on the false front and bravado that acne did not affect me. Friends could poke fun at me about it but i'd just shrug it off like its nothing. However, over time i realised that I just could not do it anymore. Surely, the time spent crying at home for God to heal me, or just looking in the mirror and feeling depressed had to mean something.

I felt that I lived two lives. One was the successful student-athlete. And the other, a Mr Hyde that could not even stand the man in the mirror. Till this day, no one but God knew of these deep insecurities. I was obsessed with beauty and the standards society has set for us to fill. I would go out of my way to look in the mirror and convince myself that my skin was healing. I would touch my face and try to even out the marks. My walk with God was all about asking him to heal me, and not about seeking his presence or word.

The change in life came when I was about to enter college. For some reason, I was granted enlightenment. I no longer became obsessed about my looks. I preoccupied myself with activities like reading or sports. I no longer touched my face nor looked in the mirror. In fact, acne that was always at the back of my mind slowly lost its place.

I believe the battle is 70% psychological and 30% material. Of course, it was also during this period where i decided to undergo the caveman regime. Upon an initial breakout, I am now having clear skin and barely had any acne during the past 3 weeks. A record.

I hope that my life story can bring you hope and peace. I've experienced the fiery tribulation of acne that has defined me as a person today, to be less judgemental and less concerned about superficialities. Character is more important than aesthetics. Remember, there are always people before you who have suffered the same way but have managed to overcome these difficulties, making them stronger people. Pray to God, he is here for you although in his own time. Be patient dear brethren:)