Notifications
Clear all

You Had It All, Everything You Needed In Your Life...

MemberMember
(@mruglyskin)

Posted : 05/27/2015 6:23 pm

And in such a short time, you lose it all.

6 years ago, I was the happiest that I have ever been in my life. I was still in school but that was coming to an end, Prom was around the corner and not only was I preparing to leave school I was also moving house to go to college.

Admittedly, this was roughly the time my acne had started to show and I was 16 but it never bothered me then. I got maybe one or two pimples a week but my skin still looked pretty damn good. I had a relationship, I was happy. I had friends, we went out all the time and there wasn't a care in the world, I was enjoying myself and had everything I needed at this point in my life.

Then came the move, prom finished and I said my final goodbyes, split up with my partner and that was it... I moved 135 miles away.

After coming to terms with the move I decided that I was still a confident guy, I could make new friends, go out and perhaps meet someone new to love, no problem.

Starting college, I could almost instantly feel the social anxiety hit me. The stress from the work, jumping into the deep end - I started to realise how much of a mistake it was. It then hit me, Acne vulgaris. In just 4 months my acne flared from a few pimples a week to a dozen a week and largely inflamed ones too. Horrible bumps in the skin, redness all over. It came on so quick I dropped out of college due to the sheer drop in self esteem and confidence.

Naturally, my friends from school had gone their ways, only a few remained in touch and those in college I barely knew long enough to become friends with - I now had no one but my family at this point. I started going to the doctors about it, time and time again nothing changed. 2 years later ( 2012 ) I took the plunge into Accutane, sadly it failed. I then became so self concious I started to see minor faults as very large problems. I saw myself hideous, unlovable and in desperate need to change. I either changed myself or fell into a deeper depression to what I was already heading towards.

To make these changes, I needed a job because I needed money. After a year searching, in 2013 I finally got myself a job. I said to myself, from this day forth everything changes.

Of course, being on Facebook, I could see what my old friends were up to. Happy as ever, skin fit enough to be the next top models, all in relationships, even my Ex girlfriend. They were living life in the fast lane. This saddened me, not because I'm selfish and wish them bad but because me once having all of that - was gone.

Anyhow, my job started and I was on my way to making money - I decided to go for braces, ( finishing this August ) and started a second course of Accutane after a few more medicines failed. Fortunately, the Accutane succeeded however.. I relapsed a few months later but the acne is much better than before, however the scarring, acne, blemishes and red marks are still there.

I'm friends with the staff, but they are either not my age demographic, or have their circle of friends already and just aren't interested..

At this point, finishing school just over 5 years ago - all my friends have quite literally gone their own ways. Now having families, moving abroad, finding themselves in better jobs.

For me, I've only managed to be promoted. Which is great but that's all I have to show for myself. Much less than everyone else, I'm actually embarrassed and ashamed of myself.

So bringing all this to the present and summarize, because I've gone on long enough...

6 yeas go I was so happy, I never had a problems. I loved life to the max! but then I lost it all, in just 4 months. And to this day I'm still suffering from acne and terrible skin, I can't even face a camera any more, not having to show much for myself and I feel like at this point that's it. I'm hoping my confidence will be slightly boosted once the braces come off, but eh.

Aaaand breathe...

Thanks for reading, I just needed to get it off my chest.

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 05/27/2015 7:39 pm

Thanks for sharing your story. There isn't a member here who doesn't feel your pain. Hang in there and stay strong!

Sending hugs your way!

MemberMember
(@mruglyskin)

Posted : 05/28/2015 3:57 am

Hi DeLovely - thank you very much for the hugs :)

MemberMember
(@jensweetone)

Posted : 05/28/2015 7:11 pm

I really appreciate hearing your story and I understand the frustration. The mere fact that you're willing to share tells me that you're making good choices by reaching out to us. I absolutely believe in you and believe your self confidence can improve over time.

MemberMember
(@mruglyskin)

Posted : 05/29/2015 3:18 am

I really appreciate hearing your story and I understand the frustration. The mere fact that you're willing to share tells me that you're making good choices by reaching out to us. I absolutely believe in you and believe your self confidence can improve over time.

Hi Jens,

Thank you very much for the kind words :).

There's a few changes I'd like to make to myself in appearance, fortunately this job has allowed it to happen but it just takes time. Braces and suffering from acne being the longest.

I hope once the changes have been made I'll be happy again :)