Notifications
Clear all

Feeling Depressed (Vent)..

MemberMember
(@hannaahx)

Posted : 02/15/2015 9:20 am

This is my first ever post on here, so bare with me, if this is in the wrong place then please feel free to move it.

I am a 15 year old girl in high school. I have been suffering with the odd few spots for the last 3 or so years. However suddenly in the last few months, it has got dramatically worse. Like, you can barely see my forehead now, it's so red and covered with acne. My skin is dry and flaky from products. I have huge spots on my chin and cheeks. I get so depressed, I always feel as if people are staring at me. I honestly feel so disgusting and I just want to curl up in a ball and cry. People at school judge me constantly, I get called ugly because of my acne as I do not wear make up to cover it as it may make it worse. On the off chance I do wear makeup, I get called fake and ugly! Even better.

I'm just so depressed right now, i just cried for over 30 minutes over how bad it is. It makes me feel pathetic. My family are worried about me, however they do not want to take me to the doctors/ dermatologist as they don't think it is that bad. I have never properly told anyone this, I just needed to get this off of my chest. If anyone read this, thank you.

MemberMember
(@blessedgirl314)

Posted : 02/16/2015 1:27 am

Hey love, I really feel for you because I was 15 when my acne started. I'm in college now and it's still here, it's tough. But hopefully I can help you some so that yours doesn't last so long. I don't have a cure but I will share some tips. If your family is telling you it's not too bad to go to a derm then you're probably still in the beginning stages. The first thing I can tell you is to never ever (ever!) touch your face. Hopefully you don't do it but I did and it has left scars that take years to heal apart from creating more acne and bacteria. Second, watch what you eat. Try to reduce your intake of refined sugars (try keeping under 25-30g of sugar a day...check what you're eating!) and dairy. Sugar = inflammation and dairy = hormones. Those are two things you don't want in your body. Drink as much water as you can and having a consistent intake of vegetables (especially spinach/kale). Really try to ease up on the products you're using, I know you want it to all go away but putting on products arbitrarly will only dry out your skin and not do much. Unfortunately acne is so personal that it's hard for anyone (including doctors) to tell you to put "this" on and that will cure it. I do actually suggest you visit a derm and see if their regime helps as it might. Give them a chance before you start trying things on your own. I mainly suffer with cystic acne (pretty much as over my face) and it is much better right now as I only break out during my period. About a year ago I started making my own mask of manuka honey (I now just use organic bc manuka is expensive!) and ceylon cinnamon (safer kind of cinnamon) and this mix basically got rid of the huge spots. Maybe give that a shot? I wish I could help more but there are so many factors going into acne that it's really difficult to give you a set plan. For right now I would suggest you keep things simple with a gentle face wash (only washing once a day since you don't wear makeup will decrease irritation) and I really recommend you buy a good serum for night time. Serums have helped me a lot, look for one online with Salicylic acid. I'm sorry people have been so cruel to you but keep your head up. These times will pass and for me at least, acne has made me a better person and it's actually improved my life in many ways. Try to see the good in everything that happens to you. Because of acne, I think twice before saying things to people that might hurt them and because of acne I eat healthier and I've shared these benefits with my family. There are many negatives, yes, but remember that this is only a small part of your timeline if you are careful and learn to heal it quickly. If I think of anything else I'll post back on here, but be strong and be kind to everyone, even those people that call you hurtful things. Talk to your family, they see that you're suffering, if you sit down and speak to them I'm positive they will take you to a derm which is what you need.

What is your exact regimen right now?

MemberMember
(@jessica21)

Posted : 02/16/2015 6:42 pm

Hello my dear,

If it bothers you as much as you say, you really should tell your parents. Even if they say it's not so bad, tell them how much it is affecting your life right now and how you would really like to see a dermatologist. You might feel better just opening up about how your acne makes you feel. The first time I cried in front of my mom about my acne, I felt a lot of relief. Best of luck and stay strong!!

xoxo

Jess

MemberMember
(@k3tchup)

Posted : 02/21/2015 8:04 pm

I don't care what your parents may say I would harp on them to get you in and started on a short term of antibiotics to get it under control. Then go from there. Because a lot of acne in teen years is from hormonal and related to growth and maturation there isn't much you can do besides keep a basic simple skin care routine, being clean, avoid binging on crap foods etc. Enough sleep and sun exposure support vitamin d levels. It happens, some more than most.