Notifications
Clear all

Do People With Acne Commit Suicide Very Often?

MemberMember
(@k3tchup)

Posted : 03/23/2014 5:13 am

I do not believe so speaking in the real world; but i also think it depends where you live and what your support system is like.

If its just looks then no, but if other major stressors are present (which they generally are) like my families divorce and once career rut then heck yes. But generally there are other dynamics that make it worse because we hold on to a hope that one day it will be different as we actively look for a way out/way to cope. Shut that down and many are left with what they see as a dead end.

MemberMember
(@miss-soloist)

Posted : 03/23/2014 6:32 pm

I actually did attempt suicide multiple times because of acne. Whilst I would hope I would never go down that road again and it's not exactly something I'm proud of, I would never berate another person for feeling that way. You can't help how you feel over some things.

The disease is very cruel and whilst it may not be comparable to other problems or diseases in the world, it is, in itself very traumatic to have a sudden onset of a disease which threatens to disfigure your face irrecoverably, with nothing you can do to stop it, in often a short space of time.

That in itself is quite devastating to any normal person. Factor in other scenarios and you can very easily start to fall down a slippery slope.

MemberMember
(@fatalbert911)

Posted : 03/24/2014 3:29 pm

You see with me to it's the opposite, I could give a fuk about what happens to me. Because all I want is to be able to go for a walk without being a freak show.

I'm always expecting the worst anyways. But even if I was homeless as long as I could walk into a store without being looked at like a freak. Then thats all id need, because it's what I desire above anything. Above money, sex, success whatever. I just want a normal face.

So I don't see myself thinking about suicide even if. I was eating out of a dumpster and besides I've got an eternity to be dead. In the mean time, I'm satisfied with growing my knowledge of this reality.

MemberMember
(@flowergirl1234)

Posted : 04/11/2014 2:45 am

I've read some studies done on acne and suicide. People with acne are more prone to depression, bdd, and suicidal ideation (surprise surprise). I'm not sure about the rate of suicides/ attempted suicides in acne sufferers, but I wouldn't be surprised if the rates were relatively high.

Wow, I just started reading through the replies on this thread. A lot of insensitivity. There's always more to the story than what appears when someone takes their life. No one just decides to kill themselves for no reason. The things some people commit suicide over might seem stupid to you, but there must be some deeper issues.

Have some compassion guys.

MemberMember
(@lapis-lazuli)

Posted : 04/11/2014 6:28 am

Well said.

A lot of idiotic posts have been made in this thread and it's infuriating and depressing.

Wow, I just started reading through the replies on this thread. A lot of insensitivity. There's always more to the story than what appears when someone takes their life. No one just decides to kill themselves for no reason. The things some people commit suicide over might seem stupid to you, but there must be some deeper issues.

Have some compassion guys.