Notifications
Clear all

Don't Know What To Do About Tomorrow

MemberMember
(@user174136)

Posted : 12/19/2013 10:00 am

Hey guys and girls!

So, I'm in a pickle of a dilemma (not an onion of a dilemma thankfully. Don't need any more eye watering going on!)

Basically, I'm meant to be meeting up with someone. We met a few years ago and really hit it off, but stopped talking for reasons that are irrelevant now. Tomorrow will be the first time we've seen each other in years. I'm really excited because I've missed him a lot and we left a lot of loose ends last time.

The problem is, my acne has come back. I was clear when I met him the first time and I've been clear right up until last week or so, but all of a sudden I'm going through a really rough breakout. My cheeks are very red and inflamed with headless, under the skin bumps and fresh hyperigmentation. I really like this guy and I don't want him to find me unattractive. In the past I've gone plenty of places with breakouts sans makeup - even first dates. I'm generally of the opinion that a person's skin doesn't matter. The problem being I'm very concerned that the attraction between us is probably still in that superficial physical stage. I know he thinks I'm attractive in general because he's said so but I have no idea if he's one of those people who acne really puts off.

I know makeup is an option, but I have two problems - it's not covering up my breakout very well at all and it makes me looks worse in general due to flakiness and masking the decent parts of my face. I'd look a lot better without makeup than with it if my skin would just behave.

So, right now I'm thinking there's a few things I can do. I can either go and wear makeup to semi-cover my skin but look worse, go bare faced (I suppose I'd learn quickly enough if he was actually in to me or not), or simply not go at all. I know, I know, I don't want to be one of those people that cancels something because they look bad. I've never done it before in my life. I just really, really don't want to make a bad impression on this guy, especially since I looked quite nice when we met initially.

MemberMember
(@markd343)

Posted : 12/19/2013 10:37 am

Go for it. It's hit or miss.

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 12/19/2013 11:55 am

Well you are going, so let's get that settled right now. You ARE going.

Toss some makeup on, not over the top, but get a good concealer and dab the hyperpigmentation ever so gently and lightly over the worst of your marks and then a light foundation over that with some mineral powder on top.

Let us know right now if you need product recommendations!! But practice now if you aren't good at it, and get ready.

Then go, try to relax and know that no one is going to inspect your face the way you do, no one. And a little makeup (again not full coverage nonsense that is caked on) that covers the hyperpigmentation helps with confidence.

So get going, get practicing if you don't feel comfortable putting make up on, and GO!!!!!!!

MemberMember
(@user174136)

Posted : 12/19/2013 12:07 pm

Thanks for the advice you two. Sadly it's not that I lack the skill or experience with makeup, the state of my skin is just making any attempts at it look terrible, like I've not only got a bad breakout but really bad makeup too. The hyperpigmentation is covered pretty easily but the colour of the bumps is showing through even tattoo concealer for some reason. It's really like a rock and a hard place at the moment: either way I'm not going to look like I'll probably need too. I'm just so stressed about so many different things at the minute. I wish I could just straight up tell him why I don't think I should go, but I know insecurity is a lot more undesirable than acne itself.

I can't not go, it's been way too long and we wouldn't be able to see each other until after Christmas if I don't go. I'll just have to do my best with the strongest makeup I have and fluff my hair up a little around my face.

EDIT: Woke up this morning and they'd gone a lot flatter. Managed to cover most of it up, plus I'm leaving my hair down (it's really fluffy) which covers some of my cheeks. I'm taking the makeup with me to touch it up at the end of the day. Wish me luck guys!

DOUBLE EDIT: I went and everything was fine. The makeup stayed on from 7am to 10pm: went on full coverage, ended up medium coverage by the end of the night - certainly enough to make me feel a bit better under dark bar lighting.

MemberMember
(@markd343)

Posted : 12/20/2013 11:36 pm

Great to hear! Glad we could help.

MemberMember
(@kim28)

Posted : 12/23/2013 8:46 pm

Glad to hear your skin behaved - but WHAT HAPPENED WITH THE GUY? Was HE still attractive? Did you hit it off? Will you see him again? I wonder if he spent the time before you met worried about how he had changed since you last met.

MemberMember
(@user174136)

Posted : 12/24/2013 12:40 pm

Haha, thankyou Kim! It went really well, we're both very different personality wise - he used to be very confident and I was very shy, now it's almost like we've switched places! But it works somehow and we get on brilliantly, no awkward silences or struggling to keep things going. He's still as handsome as ever, a little extra grey at the temples - it was strange, like no time had passed at all, yet it obviously has! We're still in touch and I think we'll definitely see each other in the new year. Whether we end up friends or anything more is yet to be seen :) He did say he was concerned I'd not like him anymore - I guess everybody worries about these things sometimes.