Notifications
Clear all

Sunlight And Post Acne Marks?

MemberMember
(@brandoncwb)

Posted : 11/03/2013 1:39 am

Alright, Forgive me if this has been asked before but I am new here and haven't figured it all out yet. I only know how to ask questions. I've tried asking on yahoo answers but just got made fun of basically and told to wash my face...I've had post-acne red marks on both cheeks and around my mouth for about 4-5 years now.... Since about 15-16. I am now 20. I feel like the last 5 years of my life has been wasted. I never leave my room. Whenever there is a family reunion, wedding, or any social event at all, I never go. I feel like a monster. I have no motivation and I feel like I am slowly slipping away. Like there is no coming back from this. I used to be really social and now I literally NEVER leave my house. I'm so embarrassed. I know I shouldn't let people get to me but I still do. I cant help it..I've heard of people have post acne marks (the flat pink marks) on their face for 6 months or so, but 4 years? really? I don't really get acne anymore, but these marks are equally as bad, And I'm starting to feel like they will never go away..I also have small icepick scars inside of the red marks which make them look even worse..I'm disgusted in myself. I swear if I ever get clear skin again I will never take it for granted again!..I guess my main problem is, I also have very pale skin. Which obviously makes my face look worse. So FINALLY, my question is, How can I get a tan and make my face darker, without irritating the red marks? Seems like when I try to tan They just get darker. This sucks. Can anybody give me advice? I currently use vitamin E oil on my face. Have been for about 3-4 months now and my skin tone in general is better, but the marks haven't faded at all. Someone please help me. I have nobody to talk to about this. Sorry if this is too long I just need to let this out somewhere, somehow. thanks guys for your time...

MemberMember
(@nicky30)

Posted : 11/14/2013 4:05 pm

Hi

What about fake tan? It safer than sunbeds and will make your skin all one colour :)

MemberMember
(@k3tchup)

Posted : 11/19/2013 3:10 am

I am very fare skinned. When i tan i look more oriental then a Midwest farmer which is what the rest of my family looks like in the summer months. I feel your pain. Working in a hospital doesn't help either, but heck, I'm at twice the risk for skin cancer because i have blue eyes, blond hair, and fare skin so staying inside has its benefits. Thats my rationale... gotta stay positive.

Red marks in scars like box scars and ice picks are not easily healed. Derma rolling and collagen rebuilding are almost necessary. The skin cannot shed and be replaced as easy if the scar was on no scarred skin. It is possible though.... I have a slowly** healing scar on my left check. It was red for a long time. I used very aggressive treatments such as acids at dangerous levels-burn my skin a few times- used copper peptides and derma rolling. The redness finally faded but the scar has yet to really "fill in" Its still there, but less than before. For red marks on the skin such as PIH you might try an acid (such as AHA) to make the skin exfoliate the dead skin bringing the redness closer to the surface and lifting away as the skin dies and exfoliates. This again takes time. Some respond better than others. Dyes and creams that change skin color such as hydroquinine really do not have affect on fare skin. I used 2-4% products (expensive products) and seen no results. I see more results from BP then that stuff.

So you can look into this. However, do not think the most expensive product is the answer. Also, BE CAREFUL with acids and there concentrations. Often they come in diluted in alcohol as a carrier-alcohol dries skin and too much will make you look like a peeling tomato.

To add i do not use any treatments for scars anymore I wasn't consistent with derma rolling.I also couldnt afford it in general. People state you are supposed to take a multidemonosional approach by apply products afterwards such as vitamin c, retin a, copper peptides (not all at once), but these things are expensive after awhile. I just abandonned it and let my skin heal naturally. I treated myself aggressively for a year and its now been a year of me doing nothing because of $$ and i accepted my looks. I have made slooooow progress.

MemberMember
(@sunnysarah)

Posted : 11/19/2013 6:10 am

Alright, Forgive me if this has been asked before but I am new here and haven't figured it all out yet. I only know how to ask questions. I've tried asking on yahoo answers but just got made fun of basically and told to wash my face...I've had post-acne red marks on both cheeks and around my mouth for about 4-5 years now.... Since about 15-16. I am now 20. I feel like the last 5 years of my life has been wasted. I never leave my room. Whenever there is a family reunion, wedding, or any social event at all, I never go. I feel like a monster. I have no motivation and I feel like I am slowly slipping away. Like there is no coming back from this. I used to be really social and now I literally NEVER leave my house. I'm so embarrassed. I know I shouldn't let people get to me but I still do. I cant help it..I've heard of people have post acne marks (the flat pink marks) on their face for 6 months or so, but 4 years? really? I don't really get acne anymore, but these marks are equally as bad, And I'm starting to feel like they will never go away..I also have small icepick scars inside of the red marks which make them look even worse..I'm disgusted in myself. I swear if I ever get clear skin again I will never take it for granted again!..I guess my main problem is, I also have very pale skin. Which obviously makes my face look worse. So FINALLY, my question is, How can I get a tan and make my face darker, without irritating the red marks? Seems like when I try to tan They just get darker. This sucks. Can anybody give me advice? I currently use vitamin E oil on my face. Have been for about 3-4 months now and my skin tone in general is better, but the marks haven't faded at all. Someone please help me. I have nobody to talk to about this. Sorry if this is too long I just need to let this out somewhere, somehow. thanks guys for your time...

Hello Brandoncwb!

I'm sorry that you're feeling down about your skin, and hopefully I can help. (: I have fair skin also, so I understand how the pink marks left over from acne can really be a pain. The number one thing you don't want to do, is go in the sun. The sun will darken your hyperpigmentation, along with your overall skin tone. When summer is over, and your entire face gets paler, the hyperpigmentation will remain a bit darker than it was before you went in the sun.

In July, I began using Clinique's Even Better Dark Spot corrector, and now my skin is flawless. My hyperpigmentation was not red, but it was pink and noticeable, and it was concentrated mainly on my cheeks. My acne is all clear, but the leftover discoloration was really bothering me, and this product worked. There are lots of reviews on this product, and many people say it works, while other people say it doesn't. The only way to get the full benefit of this product, if you purchase it, is to stay out of the sun, and if you must go in the sun, wear sunscreen and be out for as little time as possible. One month in, my skin was looking a bit better, but nothing dramatic. By 3 months, my skin was really improved, and now, 4.5 months later, my skin is perfect.

MemberMember
(@sunnysarah)

Posted : 11/19/2013 6:10 am

Hello Brandoncwb!

I'm sorry that you're feeling down about your skin, and hopefully I can help. (: I have fair skin also, so I understand how the pink marks left over from acne can really be a pain. The number one thing you don't want to do, is go in the sun. The sun will darken your hyperpigmentation, along with your overall skin tone. When summer is over, and your entire face gets paler, the hyperpigmentation will remain a bit darker than it was before you went in the sun.

In July, I began using Clinique's Even Better Dark Spot corrector, and now my skin is flawless. My hyperpigmentation was not red, but it was pink and noticeable, and it was concentrated mainly on my cheeks. My acne is all clear, but the leftover discoloration was really bothering me, and this product worked. There are lots of reviews on this product, and many people say it works, while other people say it doesn't. The only way to get the full benefit of this product, if you purchase it, is to stay out of the sun, and if you must go in the sun, wear sunscreen and be out for as little time as possible. One month in, my skin was looking a bit better, but nothing dramatic. By 3 months, my skin was really improved, and now, 4.5 months later, my skin is perfect.

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 11/19/2013 6:46 am

I'm not sure if you are male or female, but it doesn't matter- get a concealer, try a few that work (buy on line if you don't want to go to a store)- I like mineral concealers with a brush, but any will do...practice applying lightly. The objective is to get out of the house, to feel confident enough to do so. You need to get out exercise and socialize a little if possible, if not just get out and exercise, fresh air and sun everywhere else but the dark spots (many concealers have SPF built in)....so this is the bandaid to get you feeling more human and confident.

Then go see a doctor, discuss options, there are lasers (again if male, avoid the ones that remove hair) like IPL/PDL that treat redness...if you have money and want to speed it along, then do it! Takes a few treatments. If money is a problem then look into peels, like lactic acid peels, go slow and follow directions (check out amazon, start with the lower %s and build up).

You say they are post acne marks, if it truly isn't scarring then this will work- if your skin texture has changed you may need some fraxel treatments.

Now others may disagree, but as you know we aren't trained medical professionals, just trained by dealing with acne....but I apply the sunscreen only to the spots I don't want darkened, the ones you are treating, and I get 20 minutes or so of full sun everywhere else daily. I like having a tan (I know, it's bad) a little tan on my face so the difference to my acne marks isn't as dramatic.

good luck to you brandoncwb...keep us posted, we are here for you!

But you do need to get out! Get that concealer, open that door and get out and explore your options!

MemberMember
(@margay)

Posted : 11/21/2013 7:41 pm

I know what you mean. I have incredibly fair skin too &it tends to scar purple. Tbh I'm not nearly as grossed out by scars as I am by active zits so I wasn't looking for something to remove them but I tried a malic/mandelic acid duo a few months ago. I bought it to stop breakouts which it did nothing for. However it did significantly fade the purple scars. Here's a link: https://www.amazon.com/M2-Skincare-Refinish-Facial-Treatment/dp/B002SRHLD2/