Notifications
Clear all

Nobody I Know Can Relate To My Acne.

MemberMember
(@coveredinred)

Posted : 09/25/2013 4:40 am

I am new to this site and I have skimmed throughout some of the posts and threads. I see that everyone here has their not-so-fair share on acne like me. I think I did write a lot..I don't mind if you skim through it.

So, I'm a 17 year old guy, highschool graduate currently not in highschool for this semester. I have a part-time job that requires to actually talk to people face to face which bothers me sometimes, but not all the time. I work at the movie theaters! Very exciting job I know. glare.gif But I try not to have my unclear face AND neck bother me.

It wasn't until one day I was working Box Office selling tickets that really put me in shame for my face. An old man, maybe in his 50's, walks up to my window and orders a ticket. I hand him his ticket and tell him to enjoy his show. He then tries to start small talk with me. No big deal in that, there is no one waiting in line behind him so I say to myself why not? He goes on about the movie he saw like last week, blah blah blah...I thought he was gonna run to his movie by now but then he asks me, "So do you like to popcorn here, did they change it anyway?" I answer, "Yeah, it's my favorite popcorn compared to other theaters!". He then says, "Yeah, I can tell you like it by your FACE." I was never so offended in my life. I had all these emotions running up to my face but I had to hold it in and smile.

I have had acne for about 4 years now, getting worse every year. I wash my face everyday and I never skip. I am very skeptical about proactiv and every medicated wash given to me from multiple dermatologists. I think if I use this and it works. Once I stop using it, it gets worse and that has happen to me before.

Girls do tell me I am very attractive, it's just my acne that holds me down. I have no confidence in myself. My friends invite me to go out to eat, party, hang out and I just turn them down every time. My face is just so embarrassing and gross. I just want to rip a celebrities' skin off and replace it with mine! ( I wouldn't do that...I JUST WANT CLEAR SKIN). I do break down and once in a while because i get so stressed on my face. How no one can relate to my face. I have friends that complain about ONE PIMPLE. JUST ONE FREAKING PIMPLE. They have the nerve to say that when I'm standing right next them. Are you kidding me? They should be thankful they don't look like me.

This upcoming weekend, I am attending my girlfriend's homecoming dance, she is 16 and lives about 2 hours away. We don't see each other very often. But I am very committed to her. It's been 8 months we've been together. I just wonder why she's with me and how she deals with how ugly my face is. Well she is very excited about me meeting her friends!....I'm not. Not because I just don't want to and I'm an asshole. Because of my face. I am so embarrassed for her friends to see me at my worst. I always try to prep my face before I go and see her. I just wish I had clear skin.

I'm sick of all the comments about my face. I'm sick of trying to make my face perfect. I'm sick of being me.

Thanks for reading. :/

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 09/25/2013 5:39 am

To the older gentleman who made the rude remark, it's hard to let it go, but let it go. And it is difficult to deal with emotionally on it's own, without random strangers making it worse.

Get an action plan together on several fronts to beat back the acne to at least a bearable stage. Look at your diet, theater popcorn is likely one of the worst things you can eat, check the oil they use and do not have the 'butter substitute' ladled on. But look in other areas as well, do you eat healthy? Dairy is a trigger for many, you might try ditching that for 30 days to see if that helps.

Then topicals, have you tried the acne.org regimine that has helped so many? If that hasn't worked there is SA, or some great threads here on this site about Thyme/witch hazel, sea salt, etc....

Turn your frustration against acne, not the idiot rude movie goer, and come up with an action plan - give it a fair trial and if it doesn't work well enough do some tweaking to it.

Keep us posted, and vent anytime, we've all been there.

MemberMember
(@maria199)

Posted : 09/25/2013 7:14 am

I have noticed that the more people age the less they care about other people thoughts and feelings. I 'd say he should really look at his face because in your future there will be clear skin when you find what triggers your acne, his on the other other hand will be crippled by wrinkles (yeah i can be a pretty bad person). I know from experience that food has a huge impact on my skin. Things like dairy, nuts, food high in sugar cause pimples or nodules to me. If i avoid them i am generally clear. Have you tried any oral prescription(sorry if you did and i missed it)? For the girlfriend thing, my boyfriend thinks the same as you do but for other reasons. He is not supermodel (neither am i but he keeps feeling that way) of course but what i love is his character and mind and i don't care for the rest. Could be the same with her. I know the feeling about her friends but if they are really friends they should be happy when she is happy and since she is, commenting your face will only expose them.

MemberMember
(@underneath32)

Posted : 09/25/2013 9:23 am

We have all been there mate and I know its hard. What you need to do is focus your energy on fixing your acne. What is your current regime or products you are using? The best thing you can do now is to be proactive and understand your skin. Have you looked into the acne org regime yet? You are still so young and have the world ahead of you, you can beat this thing.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 09/28/2013 5:58 pm

Nobody I know can relate to my skin issues either, that's why I joined acne.org. Hopefully here you'll find the support and encouragement you need to focus on improving yourself not just physically, but also psychologically. Don't give up!

MemberMember
(@zach-zach)

Posted : 10/06/2013 11:34 am

OP Thanks for sharing - we all know how it is to feel isolated and alone when it comes to acne issues. It seems like there's a perceived stigma around talking about acne unless it's in the form of someone insulting someone else. For me personally, my own freaking cousins would make fun of my skin. I'd talk to my parents and they would show concern but no real empathy. So, I've been there any many, many others have as well.

About the old fart: There are plenty of cool old people in this world but most of the ones I've come across seem to act like they have all the authority to be pompous insufferable pricks and act incredibly entitled. I mean hey, if you were getting Social Security checks (money you did *not* earn) that are paid to you simply because you're old, wouldn't you be a little full of yourself too? lol.gif Case in point: I go to the gym and every once in a while, one of the old dudes in there will walk right the hell next to me while I'm lifting weights in such a way that I'd hit them if I didn't stop moving. I could swear they do it on purpose and they definitely do not apologize. I'll hold a door open for them and they walk right the hell in without a thumbs-up or anything. Old pricks are the worst, and you've obviously experienced one firsthand. OP, if your moviegoer old man didn't immediately feel sorry after saying what he did, he's an awful person. Awful people exist so that good people like you can be called "good."

And after reading your post, you sound like a good person so stay cool and best wishes with your GF... hey at least you have a GF! That's a lot more than lots of us with skin problems can say.