Notifications
Clear all

College, What Do I Do?

MemberMember
(@blessedgirl314)

Posted : 07/20/2013 12:31 am

Hi everyone. So I'm starting college in 29 days and I'm FREAKING OUT. Everyone in college has clear skin, it's a problem of the past and it's ridiculous that I'm still dealing with this. Most of my classes end in the early afternoon, I really don't want to be wearing make up till late, I mean, I want to enjoy myself not have all that dirty make up all over my skin for longer than is needed.

I have a lot of marks, acne right now isn't terrible, mostly on one cheek and in jaw but that's only because it's calmed down. My acne gets really awful around 2-3 weeks before my time of the month and I'm just so scared that It'll become unbearable like it has before. Any advice? Wise words? Also, I'm getting a meal plan and I'm guessing the food isn't the healthiest, anyone have a meal plan that can guide me on what to eat? I've never really been on a diet, and feel like it doesn't affect my skin but I'd like to try.

My acne has obviously affected my self esteem and i'd really like to bring it up, I feel like I didn't enjoy my life in HS, I don't want that to happen again or I'll regret it forever. How can I overcome this?

Thank you so much for any advice. :)

MemberMember
(@sum1killme)

Posted : 07/20/2013 12:48 am

I don't think I can deal with another semester of shitty skin, I want to fucking die everytime I go back everybody has grown out of that stage and I feel like a peice of shit.

MemberMember
(@oldstory)

Posted : 07/20/2013 1:39 am

It natural to feel nervous about college because it is a new experience and you are basically starting over. I just finished my 2nd year at uni and I still have acne marks not as much as I used to but it still there. I was like you 2 year ago thinking that with all these acne marks I won't be able to make any friends or I won't have fun and it was going to be brutal. It was the total opposite I found out that I wasn't the only one with acne in college even though it seems like it. You will find out that people aren't as shallow and they are willing to be friends. Just don't make the mistake of assuming and overthinking just relax and be yourself regardless of your skin. I know it is easier said than done but college is so short so why not make the most out of it.

(@LewisS)

Posted : 07/20/2013 5:14 am

Truth is though, there will be other girls at college with acne, but they too are wearing 500 layers of makeup to cover it.

You need to a find a diet that works for you (a user called Aanabill could help you a lot with diet). First thing you should do is cut out dairy and caffeine - this has helped me profoundly. Then you need to work out what foods trigger your acne, such as those that contain wheat and gluten.

As a quick fix, you could try using the acne.org regimen before and during college to help your skin along whilst you adjust to your diet.

Finally, be confident and don't let your skin take over your life! :)

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 07/20/2013 6:32 am

Another thing you may want to try is a tinted cream, for when you do take your makeup off at night....wash your face, then apply whatever meds you need to apply, then go hang out in the stall until it dries! Silly but hey, we do what we have to.

Then over the active spots try a tinted cream, like Margarite Zinc cream, okay there is only one shade but for me it's a pretty good match - I just dab a little tiny bit over the bright red active marks and it is so much easier to look in the mirror. This cream is cheap, and Zinc is a good healer. There are many other tinted treatment creams too - just a thought.

And watch your diet so you don't make things worse, a steady diet of pizza and beer probably won't help, so focus on eating good whole foods and drinkning lots of water.

Best of luck to you! And as you know, we 'all' go with you virtually for support, so we are here for you!

MemberMember
(@acneisacurse)

Posted : 07/20/2013 8:42 am

Have you tried the acne.org regimen? I've been using it for about 2 months now and it has worked really well! Many users had great success with it, and I'm sure if you give it a shot you'll get clearer skin as well!

MemberMember
(@blessedgirl314)

Posted : 07/20/2013 1:26 pm

Goodness, thank you all from the bottom of my heart. I really appreciate all the responses. I've tried the acne.org regimen a while back and It did help a lot but not in the long run, I still have some treatment left over and use it occasionally. But when I used it, it completely dried out my skin, making the marks more profound and my skin have a wrinkly look.

I'll have to take a look at that tinted treatment, sounds great. And also I'll try to cut out dairy, gluten, wheat, and caffeine. The hardest for me to cut out is dairy, since I'm used to drinking milk almost on a daily basis, but we have to do what's necessary.

I'm feeling much better after all your responses, so hopefully everything turns out okay and I'll get over these insecurities.

Thank you all very much! & Best of luck with your skin and life.

MemberMember
(@blessedgirl314)

Posted : 07/20/2013 1:42 pm

Then over the active spots try a tinted cream, like Margarite Zinc cream, okay there is only one shade but for me it's a pretty good match - I just dab a little tiny bit over the bright red active marks and it is so much easier to look in the mirror. This cream is cheap, and Zinc is a good healer. There are many other tinted treatment creams too - just a thought.

What color is that zinc cream, I'm seeing on Amazon but It doesn't show the color anywhere? I'd say I have a normal, little bit tanish, skin color.

MemberMember
(@mahweeoh)

Posted : 07/21/2013 12:17 am

I'd cut out dairy 100%. This includes casein, whey, and any form of it. I bet it will drastically reduce your acne, and if you're lucky and it's dietary for you in particular, it might knock it out. Give it a few months and see.

MemberMember
(@snsdgirl14)

Posted : 07/21/2013 1:10 am

First of all, start treating your acne...whether it's with the Regimen or by going to a derm. You need to try a method and stick with it for at least 2 months to see if it's really working. That's the only way your acne will begin to improve.

Secondly, don't worry so much over this. Trust me. I've been there. I can assure you that no one has perfect skin in college. in fact I've seen more people with flawed skin, even as bad as severe acne. And they're still getting their education, hanging out with friends, and generally enjoying their lives. I myself had very bad acne my freshman year, but I still had an amazing time because of the friends I made. I know wearing makeup all day seems annoying, but once you get used to it, it's really not. I just touched up throughout the day, blotted my skin when it got oily. And sometimes I'd wash off my makeup after classes, take a quick nap, then reapply again to have a 'fresher' face. It really didn't take long, and no one I knew questioned it.

Don't let acne control your college experience. It'll be fine.

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 07/21/2013 8:17 am

that zinc cream is a medium tan - only one color, but it's about right for me- and it will dry an exiting pimple- a little goes a long way.

MemberMember
(@blessedgirl314)

Posted : 07/21/2013 10:39 pm

Thanks everyone for all the advice!