Notifications
Clear all

Acne Is Controlling My Life

MemberMember
(@cara97)

Posted : 06/22/2013 1:58 pm

Hello All,

I've suffered from acne for nearly two years now- I am a sixteen year old girl. I know that people say 'it's just your hormones and puberty, it will go away', but it's not going away, it's just getting worse. I used to have a few whiteheads and red sore pimples on my chin, and that I could deal with, but over the past year it has spread to the sides of my mouth and down, to my cheeks, and all over my chin. My right side is especially bad. It is so angry, and the pimples are small, but in huge clusters which make my skin look so bumpy when makeup is applied- and if makeup isn't applied, they look like huge red rashes. I am currently abroad in Sweden, and I've tried every single product there is, basically.. Nothing will clear it up, not doxycycline from my home country (Australia) nor cleansers, toners, moisturizers.. Nothing!

I'm really at my wits end. Acne is taking over my life. I don't want to leave the house, I don't want my friends here to see me, nor my host family. I don't want to go anywhere, I have covered all the mirrors in my bedroom with blankets so I don't have to look in them- I hate even putting on makeup because then I have to take the time to look at every.single.pimple as i cover them, like covering an angry rash almost.

I think acne is nearly causing me to become depressed, and I don't know how to deal with it anymore. I've just given up on trying to make it better, because I feel like it won't ever be better. I feel like if my acne goes away I can face the world again, and be happy, but it's there alright, and I hate myself for it...

How can I deal emotionally, (and physically!?) with my skin problems!?

xeusa_pray.gif

MemberMember
(@wman)

Posted : 06/22/2013 2:16 pm

Hey I'm a sixteen year old boy. I feel your pain. I know acne isn't the same for boys and girls, but I had SEVERE acne. I wa afraid to look at myself. I wanted to shut myself in my room and never come out. Then I started accutane. Do I encourage it? Well, I'd have to judge that by the severity of the acne. I know that different people have different ideas of 'severe'. Accutane was my last resort. I had tried everything and nothing had worked for me. I Feel that acne is in my genetic makeup actually. But back to the point. Minocycline did suppress the acne a bit, but accutane took my face from exploding to merely a few white heads in a matter of five months. Granted, those five months weren't all dandy and great. Hardest months of my life. The effects of accutane never go away. Dry skin everyday. Dry lips everyday. But better than having acne? YES! Now, i felt the same way as you. Almost exactly. I felt that if my acne went away, id have the entire world in my hands and my life would be absolutely perfect. And you know, it kinda was after accutane. Then I had a relapse but that's beside the point again. I'm currently back on accutane. And it's going okay. Just as for advice, don't examine and judge yourself too harshly. There is more to a person than acne. It does not define you. Just let you inner beauty shine and eventually your acne will go away. When you need to see a dermatologist, do so immediately. Do not hesitate. As soon as possible, seek a dermatologists opinion on your skin, and maybe if you're lucky, you can get accutane. Now again, I don't know just how bad your skin is, but either way I know it can make you miserable. Just stick with your greatest friends and live your life. I look t it like this. If people don't like you because you have acne, they don't deserve you. Find the friends that admire you for who you really are. Then when your acne goes away, you can have a great life. Be happy. Get better. That's all there is to it. I've accepted acne as part of my life but I do no let it control me. And my life is still pretty great. I have a beautiful girlfriend and the greatest and most supportive friends. They don't care that I have acne because they see past that. They care about me. So just...I hope this helped. If you ever need any advice or questions, just ask.

MemberMember
(@cara97)

Posted : 06/22/2013 4:17 pm

Hey I'm a sixteen year old boy. I feel your pain. I know acne isn't the same for boys and girls, but I had SEVERE acne. I wa afraid to look at myself. I wanted to shut myself in my room and never come out. Then I started accutane. Do I encourage it? Well, I'd have to judge that by the severity of the acne. I know that different people have different ideas of 'severe'. Accutane was my last resort. I had tried everything and nothing had worked for me. I Feel that acne is in my genetic makeup actually. But back to the point. Minocycline did suppress the acne a bit, but accutane took my face from exploding to merely a few white heads in a matter of five months. Granted, those five months weren't all dandy and great. Hardest months of my life. The effects of accutane never go away. Dry skin everyday. Dry lips everyday. But better than having acne? YES! Now, i felt the same way as you. Almost exactly. I felt that if my acne went away, id have the entire world in my hands and my life would be absolutely perfect. And you know, it kinda was after accutane. Then I had a relapse but that's beside the point again. I'm currently back on accutane. And it's going okay. Just as for advice, don't examine and judge yourself too harshly. There is more to a person than acne. It does not define you. Just let you inner beauty shine and eventually your acne will go away. When you need to see a dermatologist, do so immediately. Do not hesitate. As soon as possible, seek a dermatologists opinion on your skin, and maybe if you're lucky, you can get accutane. Now again, I don't know just how bad your skin is, but either way I know it can make you miserable. Just stick with your greatest friends and live your life. I look t it like this. If people don't like you because you have acne, they don't deserve you. Find the friends that admire you for who you really are. Then when your acne goes away, you can have a great life. Be happy. Get better. That's all there is to it. I've accepted acne as part of my life but I do no let it control me. And my life is still pretty great. I have a beautiful girlfriend and the greatest and most supportive friends. They don't care that I have acne because they see past that. They care about me. So just...I hope this helped. If you ever need any advice or questions, just ask.

Thank you so much! Wow, I don't have words for all that, it made me feel so much better..! I'm thinking of starting accutane, I had a huge discussion with my mother about it, and i'm willing to deal with the side effects if it means this goes away!

MemberMember
(@wman)

Posted : 06/22/2013 4:58 pm

And by the way, don't have false expectations. It will not work right away. But stick with it. Everything takes time! Accutane will not remove scars but will certainly remove acne. The only way I make myself feel better is by thinking of everything good in my life, not the bad. In reality, it could be so much worse. I don't know, just really try to get accutane. I don't feel that natural approaches do any good, so I went for accutane.

MemberMember
(@ayeaye)

Posted : 06/23/2013 7:59 pm

Moved to emo forum where you may get more response for this type of post. Good luck with getting your acne under control.

MemberMember
(@perseverance92)

Posted : 06/24/2013 8:48 am

I'm 21 years old .And i have experienced(and still do) all the things which are currently been experienced by you.I know it's tough.Over the years i have learnt that a very important part of your acne treatment is "Acceptance". Yes,you have to accept things the way they are and just live your normal life.This,however doesn't means that you should let complacency take over you.No! Fight acne with grit and intelligence.But don't over do it.Don't let acne consume you and your life.Because you'll lose important years of your life.

You are 16 and are in a beautiful country! I always wanted to visit Stockholm smile.png. Just enjoy your life there.Start taking things positively (i know this is very cliched.But this will help you stay calm and happy).Acne did ruin my college years.I always feel it was a serious impediment in my dating life.But in retrospect i think it was actually a good thing.Because i'm not the type of guy who has a new girlfriend every month and wastes time ,energy and money(i'm a big introvert,i won't be able to manage that) .Not having a dating life helped me in having loads of time which i invested in reading,studying (my academics) and making friends! But yes it sucks lol...I mean the tender touch of a lady heals a man smile.png .

So you cheer up girl! smile.png Make friends who understand you and help you with your acne. Be a happy little girl and see how you attract people towards you! People love positive people who are happy and make others happy.

Embrace success and take failures in stride.And then you'll shine like a star :)