Notifications
Clear all

Most Embarrassing Acne Memory

MemberMember
(@vanbelle)

Posted : 04/21/2013 12:58 pm

There was one period where I was trying honey masks to help with inflammation. I would come home after school and apply it before work. Then my sister's friends all came over and I was sitting in my living room, slathered in honey.

Very awkward.

MemberMember
(@stella-the-diver)

Posted : 04/21/2013 10:26 pm

There was one period where I was trying honey masks to help with inflammation. I would come home after school and apply it before work. Then my sister's friends all came over and I was sitting in my living room, slathered in honey.

Very awkward.

Haha, I had the same experience. I was staying in Mexico at a friend's relative place and I was in their guest room with my clay mask on, and one of the cousins came inside to introduce herself, but she was nice about it when she saw me and laughed in an understanding way,iif that makes sense.

More recently, today I went to Sephora to get a new concealer for my hyperpigmented scars and the employee tried it on for me but the lighting in the store was kinda bad so she suggested I go outside the store (since it was inside a mall, I had to go out in the middle of the mall with a lot of people walking there o.o ) so there I was looking at my scarred face with a handheld mirror with people walking around me. I felt like a dumbass lol.

MemberMember
(@justinegabrielle)

Posted : 04/24/2013 8:40 pm

I have many embarrassing stories.

I guess the usual, "Oh my god, what happened to your face?". And, "You have acne." (No shit??).

But one that I really remember was when I was babysitting these two little girls, my teacher's daughters. I have a lot of anxiety to start with so I was pretty anxious. You know, I'm in my teachers house babysitting her kids, I was so nervous.

All was going pretty well, until one of the girls said,

"You have so many mosquito bites on your face."

I turned bright red and just could not say anything. I know she didn't mean any harm, she is just a kid. But she asked me that again later on in the evening and god, I wanted to die. I was so terribly afraid that after I left she would ask her mom why I had so many 'mosquito bites' on my face.

I think I have an even more embarrassing one but I think my mind erased it from my memory...for my own good.

However, I've had many pimple explosions happen in public. Hate when you realize that a zit is leaking and you just can't stop thinking about what the others might have been thinking. Absolutely unattractive.

MemberMember
(@vituperative)

Posted : 05/03/2013 1:36 am

I'm the same with make up! The only people who have seen me make up free is my mum and grandma. No else is allowed to! lol.

My embarrassing moment was, when I was going through a really bad break out and had a cystic pimples in a few places. One was between my eyebrows and it was such a giant bump. I could have seen it in a mirror across the other side of the room. I had an event to go to, so a few days beforehand I got so fed up, I picked at it (BIG MISTAKE!) I ended up squeezing and squeezing and the mess came out. Unfortunately, I had squeezed so hard that a chunk of skin ripped off. The next morning I woke up to a giant dark red/black scab. It was excruciatingly painful and no cover up in the world covered it. I was so embarrassed at my event, it was more obvious and disgusting than the pimples on my face and it was so obvious what had happened. I have a big scar there now. That was the last time I ever picked.

MemberMember
(@stella-the-diver)

Posted : 05/03/2013 11:20 am

I'm the same with make up! The only people who have seen me make up free is my mum and grandma. No else is allowed to! lol.

My embarrassing moment was, when I was going through a really bad break out and had a cystic pimples in a few places. One was between my eyebrows and it was such a giant bump. I could have seen it in a mirror across the other side of the room. I had an event to go to, so a few days beforehand I got so fed up, I picked at it (BIG MISTAKE!) I ended up squeezing and squeezing and the mess came out. Unfortunately, I had squeezed so hard that a chunk of skin ripped off. The next morning I woke up to a giant dark red/black scab. It was excruciatingly painful and no cover up in the world covered it. I was so embarrassed at my event, it was more obvious and disgusting than the pimples on my face and it was so obvious what had happened. I have a big scar there now. That was the last time I ever picked.

That's the big dilemma: to pick or not to pick? We end up losing the battle both ways. A huge cyst is just as bad looking as a huge scab from picking it :/ . Sometimes I'm thinking to myself whether I want a bad pimple day or a bad scab day,and I just tell myself fuck it and try to squeeze it in hope that the cyst will go down...unfortunately, it scabs badly most of the time especially on my nose!

MemberMember
(@vituperative)

Posted : 05/03/2013 11:24 am

That's the big dilemma: to pick or not to pick? We end up losing the battle both ways. A huge cyst is just as bad looking as a huge scab from picking it :/ . Sometimes I'm thinking to myself whether I want a bad pimple day or a bad scab day,and I just tell myself fuck it and try to squeeze it in hope that the cyst will go down...unfortunately, it scabs badly most of the time especially on my nose!

Honestly, I still do pick a bit but if I squeeze a bit and nothing happens, I leave it. I force myself to say, "I'll regret this if I continue".

I only squeeze when the pimple is almost about to burst. I know it's redundant to squeeze something one or two days before it's about to burst but I at least tell myself I won't do more self harm. Also, just like you, between the eyebrows and my nose scabs the worst - probably because of the lack of fat there, so it's very sensitive :\

MemberMember
(@stella-the-diver)

Posted : 05/03/2013 11:58 am

Honestly, I still do pick a bit but if I squeeze a bit and nothing happens, I leave it. I force myself to say, "I'll regret this if I continue".

I only squeeze when the pimple is almost about to burst. I know it's redundant to squeeze something one or two days before it's about to burst but I at least tell myself I won't do more self harm. Also, just like you, between the eyebrows and my nose scabs the worst - probably because of the lack of fat there, so it's very sensitive :\

Yeah, when it's still hard, I don't touch it, but if it's really tender and I see a bit of white in it peeking through, I try to squeeze it hoping it will come out.

MemberMember
(@auguriesofinnocence)

Posted : 05/03/2013 12:06 pm

My most painful memory was my first memory--I got acne early and a teacher at my gradeschool looked at me, made a face and the said, "whats that...?oh its just a pimple". Um did you really need to point that out? Masters of the Obvious, these people.

In junior high, two girls were in the bathroom and one of them said "do you have chicken pox"? I had like two red pimples on my chin. Bee-atches.

Luckily, thats the worst of it for me. I can believe a lot of you whose families say rude, ignorant things like "why dont you wash your face more?"...If someone in my family ever said something rude I think Id rip them a new asshole. lol

MemberMember
(@lifeisgoing)

Posted : 05/04/2013 3:39 am

I'm heading for the big 40 and I'm still suffering. It's not as bad as it was but my skin is definitely not 'normal'.

Acne memories..

1. After school one time, before I even understood acne and what it was doing to me, another kid said "you're sweating, why are you sweating?". I hadn't been doing anything strenuous, I couldn't understand it. Later I came to realise it was my skin covered in oil.

2. When it was at its full cystic worst (before I'd been to the doc and tried Minocycline), aged about 17, my form tutor stood and examined my cheek like it was some sort of art exhibit and said to me "that's quite amazing" with a big smile on his face. He was a bastard generally.

3. Aged 25 at work, someone asked me why I had chocolate on the back of my shirt. "Chocolate?" I said. I had no idea. When I checked it out in the bathroom mirror I realised it was a large burst zit that had dried blood into a half inch square in the middle of my back. Stuck at work, I had to get through the day knowing that was on show.

4. Another time I'd had a bad zit right in the middle of my forehead and in a moment of desperation I tried toothpaste on it. It came up bright red and at work I got asked if I'd joined the Sikhs.

Some stories here are hair-raising. It chips away at self-confidence and it has ruined my life when I really sit and think about it. I try not to do that but it enters my head from time to time. My skin, mirrors and my self-image are still a daily concern. People with normal skin don't know how lucky they are.

MemberMember
(@stella-the-diver)

Posted : 05/04/2013 3:40 pm

I'm heading for the big 40 and I'm still suffering. It's not as bad as it was but my skin is definitely not 'normal'.

Acne memories..

1. After school one time, before I even understood acne and what it was doing to me, another kid said "you're sweating, why are you sweating?". I hadn't been doing anything strenuous, I couldn't understand it. Later I came to realise it was my skin covered in oil.

2. When it was at its full cystic worst (before I'd been to the doc and tried Minocycline), aged about 17, my form tutor stood and examined my cheek like it was some sort of art exhibit and said to me "that's quite amazing" with a big smile on his face. He was a bastard generally.

3. Aged 25 at work, someone asked me why I had chocolate on the back of my shirt. "Chocolate?" I said. I had no idea. When I checked it out in the bathroom mirror I realised it was a large burst zit that had dried blood into a half inch square in the middle of my back. Stuck at work, I had to get through the day knowing that was on show.

4. Another time I'd had a bad zit right in the middle of my forehead and in a moment of desperation I tried toothpaste on it. It came up bright red and at work I got asked if I'd joined the Sikhs.

Some stories here are hair-raising. It chips away at self-confidence and it has ruined my life when I really sit and think about it. I try not to do that but it enters my head from time to time. My skin, mirrors and my self-image are still a daily concern. People with normal skin don't know how lucky they are.

Wow, #2, especially! I wonder what was going through that weird tutor's head!

About six years ago, I was at work in a restaurant and one of the delivery guys told me "What's that you got on your nose there, a nose piercing? Don't worry, the pimples should go away after the age of 18." He was referring to my pimple on my nose which was located in the area where people usually pierce their nose!!! And I'm 22 now, and still break out.

MemberMember
(@lifeisgoing)

Posted : 05/04/2013 4:14 pm

Wow, #2, especially! I wonder what was going through that weird tutor's head!

About six years ago, I was at work in a restaurant and one of the delivery guys told me "What's that you got on your nose there, a nose piercing? Don't worry, the pimples should go away after the age of 18." He was referring to my pimple on my nose which was located in the area where people usually pierce their nose!!! And I'm 22 now, and still break out.

The teacher was just an idiot who liked to make these comments to amuse himself.

Like your nose comment, some are from people who have good intentions but it can still be very embarrassing. I'm sure I have done it to people with other afflictions without realising.

MemberMember
(@dizzyabby)

Posted : 05/07/2013 11:43 am

I had a new lady start work with me who was also an avon lady, and she would bring the magazines in and try to make us buy stuff. So she ended up sitting with me and started flicking through the pages, and i knew immediately what pages she was heading for, and as she landed on the page marked "Clear Skin" i felt my blood boil. She said "you should try these products,they could sort out all that" then she proceeded to pull a face and pointed at the areas around my chin and mouth. I told her that 3 courses of accutane had not worked for me so i doubted her avon face wash would be any help. I went home and cried alot. I left the job shortly afterwards. People can be so ignorant!

Also, at school, it wasn't great for me being called Abby which unfortunately rhymes with scabby. My sister also had acne and we once had to get on a different bus home from school, and one boy on the bus said "oh look, it's scabby Abby and her even scabbier sister". I've seen that boy on facebook, and all his hair ended up falling out in his 20's. I know thats horrible, but i cant help feel it was karma!!!!!!!!!!!

MemberMember
(@auguriesofinnocence)

Posted : 05/08/2013 12:48 pm

thats horrible! I have a friend who also has acne and has a really cute boyfriend...people have actually said things to her face about how shes not up to his 'level" . Level of what, algebra?. god some people are just. big.eusa_wall.gif jackasses.

Everyone posting in here gives me such strength! I have dealt with the stares and being surrounded by friends with flawless skin for years and it depresses me to no end. I have been asked by countless people why I wear so much make up and it takes all my efforts not to cry right then and there. There was a time where I left the house for nothing for months, literally. I was too embarrassed to see anyone for I felt so hideous and like a failure.

One very recent embarrassing moment for me was this New Years. I have a boyfriend who I love to no end (unfortunately he has yet to see me without makeup, I'm so scared) and he invited me to his house for a small party. I felt very under the weather and looked it too, but he wanted me to attend so I did. I dressed rather casual thinking I would have no one to impress and of course, I was broken out. We arrive and an hour later people start piling in. The girls were all gorgeous, dressed to the T with flawless skin. My boyfriend's best friend's girlfriend looked adorable, as always, with not one flaw. I felt so ugly and out casted, I did not want to meet anyone and when my boyfriend introduced me around I swear everyone looked at me like "Really? Her?" I was so humiliated. To top it off everyone kept coming up to my boyfriend's friend's girl and telling her how beautiful she was right in front of me, giving me a glance and looking away immediately. I wanted to walk out the door and not come back. Instead I went to my boyfriend's room, shut the door, turned off the lights and tried so hard not to cry myself to sleep.

As ugly as I feel, I feel worse for my boyfriend. To have a girlfriend with such bad skin? That must be so embarrassing. He tells me how beautiful I am everyday, but I am lying to him by wearing makeup. I have cancelled dates and lied to him saying I'm sick so I won't have to go out. Writing all this I want to cry. I know my skin will get better, but I fear once he sees the truth he won't wait around for that to happen. I know that if that happens that means he's not the right person for me, but I will be devastated and I won't get over it for a very, very long time.

Reading all these stories with people who share my pain gives me such a warm feeling inside. I'm not alone! I wish I could giveyou all hugs. :,)

MemberMember
(@perseverance92)

Posted : 05/08/2013 1:00 pm

After reading so many posts in which people have mentioned about their unpleasant experiences of others being mean to them because of their acne,i feel i am really blessed! I have had mild-severe acne since 4 years.While it's coming to a standstill recently (I hope and pray),my near and dear ones and even my friends have never made fun of it! My parents are so supportive that they even tell me that nothing is there on my face! My friends are beautiful :) ,one of them even defended me once while a guy in my class tried to mock me for my acne.I love my friends and family! :)

It was a Sunday night and Monday was going to be the first day of my college! I had a small red bump on my left cheek which was becoming bigger with time.The next morning to my horror it became a bigggg bump! I thought of missing the college but it was the first day after all!And so i went...The day began with introductions in every class.I had to go in front of everyone and introduce myself.There were like 30 girls! All of them hot... I was so mortified. Horrific experience. The worst day of my life.

Acne is a curse to mankind :/

It however taught me some healthy habits which will go a long way in keeping me fit :)

MemberMember
(@lifeisgoing)

Posted : 05/08/2013 1:20 pm

what on earth is a form teacher?

too bad you didnt "accidentally" trip the bastard, preferably into an open sewer... or get your kid brother to kick him in the goolies.saywhat.gif

Well for me, a form teacher was the teacher who oversaw a class of "Sixth Form" pupils doing their A-Level qualifications here in the UK. The individual subjects (3 usually) would have their own teachers but this guy was the one who is supposed to keep an overview of your progress and the one you'd speak to if you had any problems. As you can imagine, I didn't bother. Goolies boogie.gif - not heard that in a while! Yes, a swift kick to his plums would have been very satisfying.

MemberMember
(@elliew8)

Posted : 05/09/2013 5:18 am

This page is making me realise how evil some people can be! Is there such a thing as acne-ist lol the thing I try and remember is putting things into perspective, some people physically cannot leave their houses every day and the only thing that stops me leaving the house is my own bad mentality...leading onto a very embarrassing moment for me, although it did help with the 'putting things into perspective'...

So I woke up in really early in the morning boiling hot and hearing a crackling noise from our back garden which happened to be our fence and huge conifur tree on fire...like huge orange flames and spreading into neighbours gardens! I got up, woke my family up and called 999...however when it came to going next door to let my neighbours know their garden was also on fire, the minute they opened the door I remembered I'd had a picking session the night before and was all red, bumpy and bloody on my whole face. I was so embarrassed I quickly told them what was going on and ran back into the house...on the plus side at least I'd covered up the mess by the time the firemen got there ;) Luckily my neighbours didn't say anything (probably because they have 2 young children and their garden was burning!) It made me realise that there were quite a few people in danger and yet I was more concerned about how bad my skin looked rather than the raging fire...now how ridiculous is that!

I also remember when I was 13/14 and hadn't learned how to cover my spots there was one time I wore a scarf to my mouth all day (thank god it was winter) to hide a big chin breakout...another time I SLOWLY drank a bottle of water all day at a shopping centre to hide more chin spots...on a sports day I styled my hair completely to one side (which looked awful!) to distract from a giant spot on my cheek...and another time I remember being round a friend's house and I spent the whole time on my own on the top bunk bed looking down chatting to him, thinking he wouldn't notice a horn-like spot on my forehead, until he asked me if I was just sitting up there because I was turning into a rhino...I had to laugh at the time (even though I was cringing inside!) because it showed me even though he noticed the spot, he really didn't care and was more bothered by the fact he'd been craning his neck to talk to me the whole time!

MemberMember
(@stella-the-diver)

Posted : 05/10/2013 3:32 pm

I had a new lady start work with me who was also an avon lady, and she would bring the magazines in and try to make us buy stuff. So she ended up sitting with me and started flicking through the pages, and i knew immediately what pages she was heading for, and as she landed on the page marked "Clear Skin" i felt my blood boil. She said "you should try these products,they could sort out all that" then she proceeded to pull a face and pointed at the areas around my chin and mouth. I told her that 3 courses of accutane had not worked for me so i doubted her avon face wash would be any help. I went home and cried alot. I left the job shortly afterwards. People can be so ignorant!

I hate it when that happens! It's happened to me loads of times, at the mall and with salespeople from Mary Kay!

MemberMember
(@emmiebear)

Posted : 06/23/2013 5:28 am

Oh man. These break my heart and make me relive some awful times...

To all that read this, I hope you know that there comes a time in your life when you realize what really matters. Please remember that it's not what you look like that matters. The number of scars and zits don't matter. The number of boys or girls you think you scared away with your acne doesn't matter. The snide comments don't matter. Unless, of course, you let them. It's such a silly thing, really. You can choose to avoid mirrors and dig yourself into a hole of depression, or you can sigh and accept your body for what it is and decide to be happy anyway. There is so much more to life, so much more to people than problems with skin. Having acne can be horribly embarrassing and oppressive, but there are worse things. In the end, people will not remember what you look like (because in the end, everyone is wrinkly and gray :) ). Dear reader, choose to have smile lines. Just remember that each and every one of you has something to smile about. You all have someone out there who is just crazy about you, and you all have had good times in your life. In the end, people will remember you for being kind to them. In all honesty, that's all everyone in this world is looking for, is someone to love them. Be the person the spreads smiles, and I promise you, no one will remember your skin imperfections.

Remember that no one has it easy. The people with clear, beautiful skin are envied, but they are fighting their own battles. Carpe diem. Go seize this beautiful day knowing that things will work out.

MemberMember
(@stella-the-diver)

Posted : 06/29/2013 10:48 am

This page is making me realise how evil some people can be! Is there such a thing as acne-ist lol the thing I try and remember is putting things into perspective, some people physically cannot leave their houses every day and the only thing that stops me leaving the house is my own bad mentality...leading onto a very embarrassing moment for me, although it did help with the 'putting things into perspective'...

So I woke up in really early in the morning boiling hot and hearing a crackling noise from our back garden which happened to be our fence and huge conifur tree on fire...like huge orange flames and spreading into neighbours gardens! I got up, woke my family up and called 999...however when it came to going next door to let my neighbours know their garden was also on fire, the minute they opened the door I remembered I'd had a picking session the night before and was all red, bumpy and bloody on my whole face. I was so embarrassed I quickly told them what was going on and ran back into the house...on the plus side at least I'd covered up the mess by the time the firemen got there wink.png Luckily my neighbours didn't say anything (probably because they have 2 young children and their garden was burning!) It made me realise that there were quite a few people in danger and yet I was more concerned about how bad my skin looked rather than the raging fire...now how ridiculous is that!

I also remember when I was 13/14 and hadn't learned how to cover my spots there was one time I wore a scarf to my mouth all day (thank god it was winter) to hide a big chin breakout...another time I SLOWLY drank a bottle of water all day at a shopping centre to hide more chin spots...on a sports day I styled my hair completely to one side (which looked awful!) to distract from a giant spot on my cheek...and another time I remember being round a friend's house and I spent the whole time on my own on the top bunk bed looking down chatting to him, thinking he wouldn't notice a horn-like spot on my forehead, until he asked me if I was just sitting up there because I was turning into a rhino...I had to laugh at the time (even though I was cringing inside!) because it showed me even though he noticed the spot, he really didn't care and was more bothered by the fact he'd been craning his neck to talk to me the whole time!

I can totally relate! I remember this one time , I was supposed to have a meeting with some people over at my house, it was scheduled weeks in advance and of course I forgot about it. They didn't even remind me about it, not even a phone call, an email at least, but no, they decided to come over to my place very early in the morning! I was still in bed, with parts of my pimply face covered with sulfur mask, plus my face always gets oily by morning. In short, I looked like a mess (who doesn't in the morning?). Luckily, it was my mom who answered the door. When I realized what was happening, I was in panic mode and told my mom to tell them that I can't see them. They were like yeah we can wait while she gets ready. I was too embarrassed to do that.

People can't just go to your house like that (and in the morning!) without warning! I wasn't even close to them.

MemberMember
(@3lilpigs)

Posted : 06/29/2013 11:15 am

Several years ago, I had juvaderm, restalyn and some botox injections and about a month after, I began to break out badly. I made an appointment with the dermatologist at my plastic surgeons office, to see what she could do about my newly awakened acne problem. When the derm walked in, she looked at me with horror, not even trying to disguise her reaction, she said, 'WHAT did you DO to your skin!?', as though I'd done it to myself on purpose. She inspected my skin with her face crumpled up in a 'ewww...gross' look on it. Then she left the room and came back with a nurse practicioner and a medical assistant, to show them 'what happens when you don't take care of your skin'. !!! I was mortified. They all left the room and when the derm came back in, she said they couldn't help me, my skin needed to clear on its own, no amount of antibiotics would help. I WAS PISSED! I went to another dermatologist who told me the acne was a result of a reaction to the injections that I'd gotten at the other Drs office. The other plastic surgeon/derm office is a very popular, very highly respected facility in my city. Apparently, they forgot to attend the 'Bedside Manner' 'Follow Up Care' classes during school! If they knew my acne was a result of the injections that I chose to get, I wish they would've just said so, Instead of making me feel hideous and guilty. :(