Notifications
Clear all

So... I Was This Close 🙁

MemberMember
(@nyla)

Posted : 12/23/2012 9:57 am

I haven't broken out majorly in more than 3 weeks so I guess I'm pretty much acne-free as of now, although i still do have scars and some clogged pores. Today, I met up with an old childhood friend of mine and we somehow got onto the topic of skin, unfortunately, and she said, "You have little tiny bumps all over your face." She really didnt mean any harm by it, I know this for sure. She was examining my skin and she couldn't even figure out I had scars, she was trying to explain what made my skin texture look so uneven..Then she said, "You just need to do something about that uneven area and the tiny bumps."

I don't know if I'm just crazy, but I thought my skin looked pretty alright. I do have more than a couple of clogged pores, but nothing TOO major. Some rolling scars, mainly on my left cheek, but I've actually been starting to think they arent that bad, so to have this happen to me is devastating. I'm not sure what to do, honestly. At this point, I don't know what will work on my skin anymore. I'm still trying products and stuff but I'm not really expecting a miracle. So, I guess you can say that I'm just trying to look past my scars, while hoping to find something that will be able to improve them yet I'm not counting on anything. Idk.

It just hit me hard because honest to god, I've been trying so hard to make myself feel better about my looks.. and just.. yeah. :(

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 12/23/2012 10:32 am

I'm sorry. :( I can imagine how much that hurt. Reminds me of a time my skin was really bad and my whole family was crowding around me looking at it like I was some sort of scientific experiment or something. They were like "It shouldn't be like this," and "something's wrong--this can't be natural." I was like NO SHIT, SOMETHINGS WRONG. But of course, no one had any answers for me and they still don't.

I don't really know what to say because I'm struggling with the same feelings. Just wanted to give you a *hug*

MemberMember
(@lapis-lazuli)

Posted : 12/23/2012 11:10 am

That sucks, burgundyfunk. It takes time to come to terms with these kind of things but I'm sure you'll manage to do so in the end. smile.png Keep your chin up, girl!

MemberMember
(@songbirdsing)

Posted : 12/23/2012 2:56 pm

Don't let it get you down! Any time people start examining close up to anyone's skin they will see some sort of imperfection. Still stings a little if people make mention but at least its just a bit of unevenness (and not severe breakouts)! You're a work in progress and that's not necessarily a bad thing. I have had people mention how terrible my skin is before and it's always devastating. But if beauty/skincare/health topics arise I have learned to be the first person to mention that I have terrible acne with as much confidence as I possibly can so if there ever is a discussion of it, I am in control of how it's talked about. Even when you fake confidence of it, I feel like people treat you different and talk about it differently.

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 12/23/2012 5:32 pm

I haven't broken out majorly in more than 3 weeks so I guess I'm pretty much acne-free as of now, although i still do have scars and some clogged pores. Today, I met up with an old childhood friend of mine and we somehow got onto the topic of skin, unfortunately, and she said, "You have little tiny bumps all over your face." She really didnt mean any harm by it, I know this for sure. She was examining my skin and she couldn't even figure out I had scars, she was trying to explain what made my skin texture look so uneven..Then she said, "You just need to do something about that uneven area and the tiny bumps."

I don't know if I'm just crazy, but I thought my skin looked pretty alright. I do have more than a couple of clogged pores, but nothing TOO major. Some rolling scars, mainly on my left cheek, but I've actually been starting to think they arent that bad, so to have this happen to me is devastating. I'm not sure what to do, honestly. At this point, I don't know what will work on my skin anymore. I'm still trying products and stuff but I'm not really expecting a miracle. So, I guess you can say that I'm just trying to look past my scars, while hoping to find something that will be able to improve them yet I'm not counting on anything. Idk.

It just hit me hard because honest to god, I've been trying so hard to make myself feel better about my looks.. and just.. yeah. sad.png

Sometimes "little bumps" are nothing more than just the texture of the skin and/or open pores, which can be obvious in certain lighting.

Obviously this is easier said than done, but please don't worry about her comment. Be glad you aren't afflicted with a worse disease, like Lou Gehrig's. Thinking "it could be worse" should be kept in mind here.

MemberMember
(@lapis-lazuli)

Posted : 12/23/2012 5:44 pm

Be glad you aren't afflicted with a worse disease, like Lou Gehrig's. Thinking "it could be worse" should be kept in mind here.

There it is again. The "you should feel better because there are worse things" comment. Why exactly should someone feel better because there are worse things? How does that change anything about their situation? Just because there are things that are worse than something that is bad doesn't change the fact that something that is bad is bad.

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 12/23/2012 6:22 pm

Be glad you aren't afflicted with a worse disease, like Lou Gehrig's. Thinking "it could be worse" should be kept in mind here.

There it is again. The "you should feel better because there are worse things" comment. Why exactly should someone feel better because there are worse things? How does that change anything about their situation? Just because there are things that are worse than something that is bad doesn't change the fact that something that is bad is bad.

Perception and perspective matters, especially with acne. It's very easy to overestimate acne's severity because one may be looking for pimples that aren't there, for example. Acne can very easily cause chronic emotional distress, even if it is mild. Seeing Photoshop-fixed models in TV and magazine ads and easily available cosmetics that people apply does give an illusion that "everybody else" has "perfect" skin.

People who suffer from acne need to learn coping skills -- taking a step back and analyzing emotions is part of the process in changing behavioral thinking. Stepping back and thinking "it could be worse" is one way to cope with acne. Another way of dealing with it is thinking "there are several OTC and successful prescription treatments for acne I could use". If you try to think of acne in a neutral way and/or trying to find a silver lining to it people will have a much better time dealing with acne and its stress.

MemberMember
(@lapis-lazuli)

Posted : 12/23/2012 6:45 pm

Perception and perspective matters, especially with acne. It's very easy to overestimate acne's severity because one may be looking for pimples that aren't there, for example. Acne can very easily cause chronic emotional distress, even if it is mild. Seeing Photoshop-fixed models in TV and magazine ads and easily available cosmetics that people apply does give an illusion that "everybody else" has "perfect" skin.

People who suffer from acne need to learn coping skills -- taking a step back and analyzing emotions is part of the process in changing behavioral thinking. Stepping back and thinking "it could be worse" is one way to cope with acne. Another way of dealing with it is thinking "there are several OTC and successful prescription treatments for acne I could use". If you try to think of acne in a neutral way and/or trying to find a silver lining to it people will have a much better time dealing with acne and its stress.

I appreciate your reply.

A lot of people throw that comment (i.e. feel better because there are worse things) around all the time and it's not always clear what people exactly mean by it.

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 12/23/2012 8:49 pm

I appreciate your reply.

A lot of people throw that comment (i.e. feel better because there are worse things) around all the time and it's not always clear what people exactly mean by it.

Thanks for your clarification. I was wondering why you responded the way you did.

I suppose people who remark that way want to keep it brief and succinct like I do, which would probably come off as insensitive or detached. Maybe some of them don't feel like explaining more, so they just leave it be. Next time I'll be a little bit more careful!

MemberMember
(@nyla)

Posted : 12/24/2012 7:43 am

Thank you all for the replies. I am glad, because I mostly just have mild to moderate acne, it could be worse so I feel thankful. I forgot to mention, this friend also told me not to be too concerned about it and to just "wash your face more often and use more products and it'll be fine." Sigh. Lol :/

MemberMember
(@lapis-lazuli)

Posted : 12/24/2012 8:25 am

I forgot to mention, this friend also told me not to be too concerned about it and to just "wash your face more often and use more products and it'll be fine." Sigh. Lol :/

Fp_zps05c65aa9.png

MemberMember
(@crimeinpartner)

Posted : 12/24/2012 9:26 am

I forgot to mention, this friend also told me not to be too concerned about it and to just "wash your face more often and use more products and it'll be fine." Sigh. Lol :/

Fp_zps05c65aa9.png

I'm done hahaha

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 12/24/2012 3:28 pm

Thank you all for the replies. I am glad, because I mostly just have mild to moderate acne, it could be worse so I feel thankful. I forgot to mention, this friend also told me not to be too concerned about it and to just "wash your face more often and use more products and it'll be fine." Sigh. Lol :/

Friends and family (especially who aren't dermatologists) like to say those things just to calm you down. But sometimes it doesn't work. rolleyes.gif