Notifications
Clear all

An Antidepressant That Doesn't Cause Acne?

MemberMember
(@jitterbug17)

Posted : 10/11/2012 1:10 pm

I am on Celexa. I also have Ativan for my panic attacks. I don't think i have noticed a correlation between those and my acne.

If anything, the only correlation I see is with my weight!!

I take 1 full tab of Celexa ( citalopram) in the morning, Ativan (lorazepam) as needed ( not too often), I am also on a diuretic Hydrochlorothiazide and I get the depo provera shot every 3 months.

My skin has not really benefitted or worsened but my weight has jumped up nearly 20lbs!! Now I am not only self concious because I have break outs but I am feeling pretty fat too..... *sigh*

MemberMember
(@eec)

Posted : 10/28/2012 5:31 pm

I was acne-free for 11 months, then went on prozac 10 mg/day for mild anxiety. After 6 weeks, my anxiety had completely gone and my serotonin levels were normal and I felt better than I ever had! BUT my acne was all of a sudden all over and terrible. I went off the prozac, and after one week, my acne completely disappeared. But then the anxiety came back. I now do 10 mg every other day, and this seems to be a happy medium :)

MemberMember
(@eec)

Posted : 10/28/2012 5:52 pm

I know that I need to find a healthier way to deal with my skin issues

I really feel for you. Everything you said: I have gone through. I think I can help. I had terrible acne and it made me not want to leave the house for 8 years, high school and college. Then after graduation, I made some big life changes. My skin COMPLETELY cleared up, and I was happy again, and it was pretty amazing. Everyone's skin is different. Every skin type reacts differently to different things. SO, read this and take it with a grain of salt, but maybe try one thing at a time, and see if it is your solution. I believe that there IS a solution to acne, it just differs person to person.

1. I started drinking 8 cups of water. Every. Single. Day. Religiously. After 3 weeks, skin looked a LOT better. (This may be the single most effective acne cure in my opinion).

2. I became vegan. I was already vegetarian, but then I completely cut out dairy. Big improvement.

3. I went off birth control pills.

4. I started running. Every other day. For 3-4 miles at 9 minutes per mile or so. It was such a big change. Mentally, physically, emotionally, my whole life changed. And I started making goals for myself. Like, 4 miles at 8.5 minutes per mile. And I got better and better. I also found a running partner friend, and we really bonded through running and it's been a real blessing. All these things made my skin clear up fast. Because being mentally healthy makes your skin healthy.

5. Once my skin was clear enough to cover easily, I used Clinique acne concealer. It is a small bottle, and it has acne medicine in it. It works great and I don't even have to wash it off.

6. I stopped washing my face. I only run warm water over it if I'm in the shower, and about once a week, I use Origin's Checks and Balances face wash, a tiny dot, and gently wash. I never get my face wet unless I'm in the shower. I shower after running.

7. I really started thinking of myself as beautiful. This made a big difference. And finally my skin went all the way clear. Now, I walk into a room knowing that I rock and that I'm beautiful, and like I own the place. And even if it's faking it at first, eventually my self-confidence catches up and I feel amazing.

8. I started taking a B complex vitamin, iron, Vitamin C, and A and E, every day. I noticed not only clearer skin, but better mental functioning and more energy as well.

ok. After 11 months of doing all of the above, my skin was looking awesome! But then my boyfriend whom I loved very much broke up with me (long story) and I developed minor anxiety. My doctor prescribed 10 mg of prozac every day. It only took 6 weeks before I felt fantastic and happiest I'd ever been, but it made all my acne come back, despite doing all of the above. I now take 10 mg, every other day. My anxiety is here a little, but at least my acne is totally gone. I might try another anti-depressant when I get back home (I'm abroad at the moment). I'll check back in and see if any of this helped you.

I definitely think happiness has some role to play with some people's skin. Maybe not with everyone though. But in general, when you are productive, healthy, drinking water, being vegan, these things are big lifestyle changes that will help you in all areas of your life. It's all about finding things that make you feel good, and doing them. I believe that your skin and your mental health are on a see saw, and you have to balance them. High acne will correlate with low mental health, so maybe try these lifestyle changes for 6 weeks, and see if you can find that balance?

Oh! I forgot #9

9. I started sleeping 8 hours a night. Every. Single. Night. Religiously. I lit candles before bed to calm my nervous system, and woke up at the same time every morning. I stopped drinking liquids 3 hours before bed so that my sleep would not be disrupted by my body having to pee (and since I drink 8 glasses of water every day, it meant that at 8pm every night I would have to be sure to finish my last glass!). I also made sure that there was no sound and no light that could disrupt my sleep (sound and light can make you have fitful unrestfull sleep, even if it doesn't wake you up). Sleep is what heals acne, heals scars, and prevents breakouts.

I might also mention that I'm a nurse, and learned all this in my training.