Notifications
Clear all

Something New...how Has Acne Changed You For The Better?

MemberMember
(@gingergirl22)

Posted : 09/30/2012 8:25 pm

I have a hard time seeing how having acne has changed me for the better. Maybe I am more compassionate, but unfortunately it has made me sad and bitter about the life's unfairness, especially when it affects young people full of hopes and dreams, only to have a skin condition get in the way.

My dad was the only one out of 13 kids who had acne and he had it bad. His own mother ridiculed him because of his appearance, not to mention his siblings and the outside world. Then he has to watch my brother and I suffer with it, and now my son has it.

I wish I could see the positive sides of having acne, but it's not easy.

MemberMember
(@scov93)

Posted : 10/01/2012 2:08 pm

i don't think i have insulted anyone's appearance for about 3 years. at the start it was because i was scared it would backfire and people would turn on me but now i really dont want people to feel the way i have felt about myself in the past

Same.

It's so wrong how messed up humans are, most of us are so horribly hypocritical and socially inept. I don't understand why people aren't just born feeling this way as I have always cared about others much more than I have myself. Which is a blessing and a curse of course. I have always been able to sympathize with anyone. I always get along with the people I meet and am overall just trying to be the best person I can be. But I can't really empathize with people anymore because I know I'm different. Mentally and physically. So acne has really only screwed up my life.

We learn the golden rule at what age? Look around us, it makes me sick.

deep stuff lol

MemberMember
(@clambak3)

Posted : 10/03/2012 7:30 pm

<-- exiling myself from the entire human race.

MemberMember
(@leavemealone)

Posted : 10/04/2012 9:15 am

Back in the day, when I was young and foolish, I didn't treat most people I came across, other than my friends, with a great deal of respect. Sure, I might of seemed nice to an extent where I was friendly enough to talk to again, but that wasn't the real me when I was with friends. I was selfish, immature, and just an overall dick. I didn't treat most women with admiration or at least I don't think I did. I don't know, I don't remember the old me, since I've tried to forget the past and look ahead in life, but cutting to the chase, I believe over the years, I have bettered myself, and acne has stuck to me like glue along the way, which has been good at times.

I mean, sure, I've felt like absolute crap at times, and I'm sure most of you have as well, but when I think about the positives, I personally think about how I've treated people differently and for the better. Due to the judgmental actions I've gotten from other people, I can safely say that acne has made me care for people better in regards of how they look, because I don't want them to receive what I've been told, even if they don't have acne. Other than that, I guess all I can say is that I haven't insulted anyone since I started breaking out and I've changed for the better by becoming a more caring and loving person.

MemberMember
(@cherrysoda08)

Posted : 10/05/2012 1:41 am

Back in the day, when I was young and foolish, I didn't treat most people I came across, other than my friends, with a great deal of respect. Sure, I might of seemed nice to an extent where I was friendly enough to talk to again, but that wasn't the real me when I was with friends. I was selfish, immature, and just an overall dick. I didn't treat most women with admiration or at least I don't think I did. I don't know, I don't remember the old me, since I've tried to forget the past and look ahead in life, but cutting to the chase, I believe over the years, I have bettered myself, and acne has stuck to me like glue along the way, which has been good at times.

I mean, sure, I've felt like absolute crap at times, and I'm sure most of you have as well, but when I think about the positives, I personally think about how I've treated people differently and for the better. Due to the judgmental actions I've gotten from other people, I can safely say that acne has made me care for people better in regards of how they look, because I don't want them to receive what I've been told, even if they don't have acne. Other than that, I guess all I can say is that I haven't insulted anyone since I started breaking out and I've changed for the better by becoming a more caring and loving person.

Love. This.

It's so true, and I just wanted to say that because of statements like that which you've just made, I am still so happy that I stumbled across Acne.org. It's been like a godsend for me. I've met so many great people on here, and shared stories, and have offered advice and gotten amazing advice in return. People like you, who say the things like you just have, are what make coming back to the '.Org worth it for me. rolleyes.gif

So, how has acne changed me for the better? Well, it's made me less of a 'Mean Girl', and a more sweet, caring person to those who are down and in need of a sympathetic ear.

On the flipside, however, acne has made me a more shy, insecure, sometimes bitter, sometimes despairing, and oftentimes depressed girl. So strange, because I used to be a boisterous, silly person.

In a way, I guess acne matured me, and made me realize what's really important in this life. Taking a stand against acne, and doing my darndest to battle its physical and psychological effects on me has made me shift my priorities in a very dramatic way. It changed what I eat, what I drink, and what I put in my body. In a sense, acne has contributed to making me a more moral person, too. I suppose I always had decent principles, I just didn't act upon them. Instead, I spent my youth foolishly without even considering how the cysts I would come to acquire would bring me to a sobering reality.

Sad that an abnormal skin condition had to get me to this point, but I am so very glad I made those changes to my life because of it. I know that my body is far healthier at this point on the inside. Maybe not always my emotions, or mental state. But at least I can digest things properly now. cool.png

MemberMember
(@leavemealone)

Posted : 10/05/2012 8:50 am

Love. This.

It's so true, and I just wanted to say that because of statements like that which you've just made, I am still so happy that I stumbled across Acne.org. It's been like a godsend for me. I've met so many great people on here, and shared stories, and have offered advice and gotten amazing advice in return. People like you, who say the things like you just have, are what make coming back to the '.Org worth it for me. rolleyes.gif

So, how has acne changed me for the better? Well, it's made me less of a 'Mean Girl', and a more sweet, caring person to those who are down and in need of a sympathetic ear.

On the flipside, however, acne has made me a more shy, insecure, sometimes bitter, sometimes despairing, and oftentimes depressed girl. So strange, because I used to be a boisterous, silly person.

In a way, I guess acne matured me, and made me realize what's really important in this life. Taking a stand against acne, and doing my darndest to battle its physical and psychological effects on me has made me shift my priorities in a very dramatic way. It changed what I eat, what I drink, and what I put in my body. In a sense, acne has contributed to making me a more moral person, too. I suppose I always had decent principles, I just didn't act upon them. Instead, I spent my youth foolishly without even considering how the cysts I would come to acquire would bring me to a sobering reality.

Sad that an abnormal skin condition had to get me to this point, but I am so very glad I made those changes to my life because of it. I know that my body is far healthier at this point on the inside. Maybe not always my emotions, or mental state. But at least I can digest things properly now. cool.png

That's awesome that my post makes you feel like that. Really, it means a lot. I mean, I love motivating people, as well as cheering people up, that's why I love writing songs. If somebody has acne or not, nobody deserves to be put down, it's a dog act. But yeah, thank you very much.

MemberMember
(@cherrysoda08)

Posted : 10/05/2012 9:40 am

Love. This.

That's awesome that my post makes you feel like that. Really, it means a lot. I mean, I love motivating people, as well as cheering people up, that's why I love writing songs. If somebody has acne or not, nobody deserves to be put down, it's a dog act. But yeah, thank you very much.

You're welcome. 😉

MemberMember
(@forquestions)

Posted : 10/11/2012 11:45 pm

I unfortunately had to suffer with blemishes for a few years. However, I've been completely clear for the past 2 ( thanks to finally understanding what my skin needs and what products work for me ).

I'd say it's made me more outgoing and confident in how I look. I know I was beautiful before, but now that I have nothing to hide I feel even more so, and I throw it out there for people to admire. I love going out with my fiance, with my friends. I'm actually going to be going to a Halloween party next week and another one the week after that.

Over all it just made me love socializing, myself, and the sun a lot more :P

MemberMember
(@sum1killme)

Posted : 10/12/2012 1:27 pm

I unfortunately had to suffer with blemishes for a few years. However, I've been completely clear for the past 2 ( thanks to finally understanding what my skin needs and what products work for me ).

I'd say it's made me more outgoing and confident in how I look. I know I was beautiful

before, but now that I have nothing to hide I feel

even more so, and I throw it out there for people

to admire. I love going out with my fiance, with

my friends. I'm actually going to be going to a

Halloween party next week and another one the

week after that.

Over all it just made me love socializing, myself, and the sun a lot more :P

What worked for you if you don't mind telling?

MemberMember
(@forquestions)

Posted : 10/12/2012 1:47 pm

I'd say it's made me more outgoing and confident in how I look. I know I was beautiful

week after that.

Over all it just made me love socializing, myself, and the sun a lot more tongue.png

Not at all smile.png Well I found out that my face reacts badly to Salicylic Acid and Benzoyl Peroxide, which would explain why I was never truely "clear" as a young teen, pretty much everything I used had one of those in it.

Basically I just started experimenting and found my "holy grail" routine.

I wash my face morning and night, both routines are the same.

Morning & Night:

Wash with Cetaphil Daily ( "Oily" if you're in Canada ) Facial Cleanser using a Clarisonic Brush ( I have the Clarisonic Mio, smaller for travel ). I really don't like washing with my hands. Plus if you use a face brush, it exfoliates gently. I have sensitive skin and it doesn't react well to harsh exfoliating scrubs.

Tone with a mixture of half Spectrum Organic Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar and half regular tap water. ( I keep the mixture in a squirt bottle by the sink and just put some on a cotton swap or folded square of toilet paper and swipe over my face ). Apple Cider Vinegar also has gentle exfoliating agents in it, which helps to shed old skin and fade scars.

I then take another mixture of 1 Tablespoon Epsom Salt ( super cheap, can be bought by the bagful at any convenience store ) and about an inch and a half of water ( it varies a little each time, but I just try to go for about an inch and a half to get a good mixture ) and swipe that over my face as well. Makes my face really soft, and helps SO much with bringing any forming blemishes to a quick head to be extracted and cleaned.

And that's pretty much it. If I feel I need some moisture I'll put on some Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion, but I normally don't need to.

I don't take any supplements ( Multi Vitamin is all I take, when I remember ). I don't have a diet, I eat normally and generally healthily. I exercise 3 times a week to keep in shape. I'm a female, 19. I do have sex ( restricted to weekends sadly because the fiance is going to college during the week ). I don't take birth control.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

TL;DR

Cleanse: Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser w/ Clarisonic Brush

Tone: Half/half mixture Spectrum Organic Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar and water

Tone: 1 Tablespoon Epsom Salt and 1 1/2 inch of water

Moisturize: Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion

MemberMember
(@sum1killme)

Posted : 10/12/2012 7:32 pm

week after that.

Over all it just made me love socializing, myself, and the sun a lot more tongue.png

Not at all smile.png Well I found out that my face reacts badly to Salicylic Acid and Benzoyl Peroxide, which would explain why I was never truely "clear" as a young teen, pretty much everything I used had one of those in it.

Morning & Night:

Wash with Cetaphil Daily ( "Oily" if you're in Canada ) Facial Cleanser using a Clarisonic Brush ( I have the Clarisonic Mio, smaller for travel ). I really don't like washing with my hands. Plus if you use a face brush, it exfoliates gently. I have sensitive skin and it doesn't react well to harsh exfoliating scrubs.

Tone with a mixture of half Spectrum Organic Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar and half regular tap water. ( I keep the mixture in a squirt bottle by the sink and just put some on a cotton swap or folded square of toilet paper and swipe over my face ). Apple Cider Vinegar also has gentle exfoliating agents in it, which helps to shed old skin and fade scars.

I then take another mixture of 1 Tablespoon Epsom Salt ( super cheap, can be bought by the bagful at any convenience store ) and about an inch and a half of water ( it varies a little each time, but I just try to go for about an inch and a half to get a good mixture ) and swipe that over my face as well. Makes my face really soft, and helps SO much with bringing any forming blemishes to a quick head to be extracted and cleaned.

And that's pretty much it. If I feel I need some moisture I'll put on some Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion, but I normally don't need to.

I don't take any supplements ( Multi Vitamin is all I take, when I remember ). I don't have a diet, I eat normally and generally healthily. I exercise 3 times a week to keep in shape. I'm a female, 19. I do have sex ( restricted to weekends sadly because the fiance is going to college during the week ). I don't take birth control.

TL;DR

Tone: Half/half mixture Spectrum Organic Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar and water

Sounds like a pretty bad ass routine, a lot of people talk about that apple cider vinegar im going to try that out. Im glad to hear people being happy with their lives after the whole acne deal. Hopefully one day i can be free from this and actually enjoy life for a change, damn congrats.

MemberMember
(@forquestions)

Posted : 10/12/2012 9:43 pm

week after that.

Morning & Night:

TL;DR

Sounds like a pretty bad ass routine, a lot of people talk about that apple cider vinegar im going to try that out. Im glad to hear people being happy with their lives after the whole acne deal. Hopefully one day i can be free from this and actually enjoy life for a change, damn congrats.

Oh yeah, AVC is like amazing. Some people like Braggs, but I personally like Spectrum. Braggs made me break out.

MemberMember
(@geeking)

Posted : 10/12/2012 10:18 pm

I'm gunna say acne hasn't made me a better person - I am not a judgmental person and over the years my thoughts and views on almost everything have changed due to education in school and elsewhere.

I'd probably be the same person without acne. I feel almost certain.

MemberMember
(@ledzep)

Posted : 10/13/2012 10:34 am

For many years all I thought I got from acne was feeling bitter and angry- what it really taught me, however, was that nothing in life is permanent. Thoughts, ideas, emotions, people, buildings, cultures all eventually fade much like the ocean's tide. I don't know why but realising this I feel happy and free, and am glad to follow the direction that my life's path takes me- I think it's important not try to hold onto the events that define your life, whether they be positive or negative. I try to let things flow through me like sunlight and in doing so, I can appreciate each precious moment that life gives me- with, or without acne.

MemberMember
(@rentedname)

Posted : 10/14/2012 2:12 am

For many years all I thought I got from acne was feeling bitter and angry- what it really taught me, however, was that nothing in life is permanent. Thoughts, ideas, emotions, people, buildings, cultures all eventually fade much like the ocean's tide. I don't know why but realising this I feel happy and free, and am glad to follow the direction that my life's path takes me- I think it's important not try to hold onto the events that define your life, whether they be positive or negative. I try to let things flow through me like sunlight and in doing so, I can appreciate each precious moment that life gives me- with, or without acne.

what do you do day to day then? every single hour from when you wake up and go to sleep? do you have goals or a plan for life?

MemberMember
(@ledzep)

Posted : 10/14/2012 2:40 am

rentedname:

There is an epistemic distinction between having goals and dreams you want to achieve and being psychologically attached to those objectives to the point where you can't conceive of your self/personality in any other manner. If your interested, I'm currently training to be a teacher in philosophy- so yes I have 'goals' that I am working towards. I recognise, however, that the interests and personality traits that make up my being are subject to flux and change and thus I don't feel angry when something challenges my worldview. As in the case of acne, many people feel bitter towards it as they have a conception of themselves that does not match up to their empirical reality of having acne, and so a cyclical process of negative emotions is borne which is compounded by the individual trying to reconcile those two immovable forces; that is, their mental perception of how one should look and the reality of their personal appearance as it actually is.

MemberMember
(@twinsfan57)

Posted : 10/21/2012 8:39 am

I really think acne has changed me for the better. I used to be a douchebag, jerk, player, whatever you want to call it. I was so mean to people and would use alot of girls. I started getting bad acne my sophmore year. I literally changed from an over-confident tool to a very timid guy that had trouble looking people in the eye and didn't want to leave the house. I don't think I left my house to hang out with friends more than 3 times. As it got worse and worse up until my junior year, people were starting to comment on it and it made me really depressed. I realized how bad being hurtful to people really was. Today, I'm not acne-free yet, but i'm close. I can almost taste it. Having acne, I no longer want to ridicule people for silly things or just use girls. It has changed me for the good.

MemberMember
(@jabberwocky80)

Posted : 10/22/2012 4:30 am

Very nice thread. smile.png

Developing acne and the resulting scars have changed me in that I am able to empathize better than before I had acne. I'm very much aware of my feelings, moods, emotions...what's going on in my brain and why... The personal hell I waded through when I was 27 that triggered this "war" with acne has made me aware of just how much inner strength I have, as well. My inner strength released a much more realistic, guarded, aggressive person than I was before. Sometimes this is a good thing in that I stand up for myself and don't take any B.S., but I definitely do have more trouble reigning in my anger/aggressiveness than before.

MemberMember
(@blissbalance)

Posted : 11/22/2012 1:50 am

I know that I got acne for a reason.

Before when my skin was skin manageable, I was so self-absorbed. Always taking pictures of myself, editing them like crazy, always wanting attention from people, etc... but then I got acne. And I feel like it's humbled me. I feel like there would've been no other way for me to become humble.

Dealing with acne has also made me realize to look beyond looks in people. We all have emotions and thoughts and personalities. Now I could really care less if you've got acne, if you're overweight, if you're too short or your voice is too high. In most cases we don't get to choose (other than being overweight..).

But honestly, man before.... I was such an attention seeker and wanted confidence boosters.. I'm really glad I'm not like that anymore.

Having acne has, in a way, brought me closer to God. My struggles with not only skin, but my lifelong insecurities as well.

Sorry if I'm talking too much about myself, just another outlook on how acne can be good.