Tea Tree Oil reviews

4.1/5 - 621 reviews
Tea Tree Oil

Tea tree oil is defined by international standard ISO 4730 (2004) ("Oil of Melaleuca, Terpinen-4-ol type"), which specifies levels of 15 components, which are needed to define the oil as "tea tree oil.

Among over 98 compounds contained in the oil, terpinen-4-ol is responsible for most of the antimicrobial activity.

I like it, but...
Reviewed on May 29, 2015

I can't honestly say that it ever improved my acne. I guess it depends on what's causing your acne. I'm one of those people who loves the smell of tea tree oil for some reason, and I believe its benefits to the skin when I read them on paper -- it makes sense. I mix a few drops of this into the hemp oil that I use on my skin as an overnight moisturizer because I think it helps to counter the oiliness of the... oil. Tea Tree Oil is one of those things that I've used on and off for about 10 years, but only as a supplement to something else. It's a decent supplement, but on its own it's not capable of a whole lot. In my experience. It never harmed my skin at all so I can't say it's not worth trying.

Can chemically burn skin if used on large areas
Reviewed on May 25, 2015

I've used this as a spot treatment in the past, undiluted (which is not recommended), and while the skin did dry out a bit, I never had any problems. The pimple cleared within a day or two used this way. However, last night I put tea tree oil on a cotton pad, with some water (apparently not enough to sufficiently dilute it), taped it onto my face with some medical tape, and went to sleep. I used a whole cotton pad because I had several pimples on one part of my face that I wanted to treat. I also happen to sleep on my left side, and the treatment was applied on the left side of my face, causing the tea tree oil-soaked pad to be really pressed into my skin as I slept.

About an hour later, I woke up with a throbbing pain on my face. I removed the cotton pad and saw that my skin was all red underneath, and even had what looked like a few burn marks. I washed off the tea tree oil from the affected area with Cetaphil gentle cleanser and applied aloe vera gel to moisturize. Then I actually had to hold an ice pack to my face (with a paper towel over it; don't apply ice packs directly to the skin) for 30 minutes to make the pain go away. That's how much it hurt.

Fortunately, I am female and can use makeup to cover up the redness, but men are not so lucky. Also, my pillow now has a tea tree oil stain and a strong smell that won't come out. I've tried spraying Febreze on it twice today and it isn't helping. Overall, I would recommend tea tree oil as a spot treatment only.

Good stuff but strong.
Reviewed on May 6, 2015

Tea tree oil seems to help control some of my flare ups and heal any existing pimples. I primarily add about 2-3 drops to 1 pump of the Acne.org moisturizer. I also get really bad dandruff on my hairline (thinking it may be psoriasis because it's red sometime and really flaky) and tea tree oil really does wonders in getting rid of the redness and flakes. However, this stuff is strong and if you have sensitive skin, I highly recommend diluting it.

My Favortie Thing For Pimples
Reviewed on April 28, 2015

I've tried every spot treatment out there and I'm allergic to almost all of them. The only one I don't seem to have a bad reaction from is SA, but it dries out my skin very bad. Tea Tree oil is the only spot treatment that works for me. There are a few rules that need to be followed using it though

1.) Make sure its 100 Percent Organic Tea Tree Oil, not one of those things you buy at cosmetics stores; they usually way over charge for much less of a product.

2.) Do a patch test

3.) Only apply to active pimples, not let over marks and definitely not all over your face.

4.)Cleanse, tone, and moisturize before. Using moisturizer before a spot treatment will prevent extra dryness. Also if you are very sensitive, dilute in a carrier oil or with water.

5.) This is not an overnight cure, there is no overnight miracle cure to acne. Be patient.

research
Reviewed on March 19, 2015

As an MSc cosmetic science and technology student with a background in pharmacy, I am currently doing a research on tea tree oil. its effect on isolated strains of acne from faces of volunteers. Its not been easy, but I am getting there. Heres my email, pharmlotachi@[link removed] just incase anyone is interested in my results. I believe teatree oil is quite effective.

pls kindly drop a link or so of any organization funding research for skincare.

Thanks guys..

PS; pls try doing a a patch test on your skin with any product you purchase before using it on your face to avoid breakouts.

Be very careful with tea tree oil
Reviewed on March 14, 2015

I have mixed feelings about the use of tea tree oil, hence the 3 star rating. I think 100% pure, organic tea tree oil can be an effective spot treatment for individual pimples, but it needs to be diluted. I experienced a severe burn mark when I applied full strength tea tree oil on an emerging pimple, and my skin is oily and strong - not easily affected by topicals. Now when I use tea tree oil, I dilute it with a carrier oil. My favorite carrier oils are hemp seed and argan as they have a "0" comedogenic rating. I dilute at least 50% carrier oil with 50% tea tree oil and apply sparingly, and no more than 3 times a day to individual pimples. In most cases, it will speed up the healing of the pimple by several days.

by glycolic on 03/31/2015 05:35
Hi Emme*Li. How long did your severe burns take to fade? I used a tea tree face wash and left it on overnight (it was only 2% tea tree and 2% witch hazel). It resulted in burns on my cheeks. It has lightened but still visible after almost a year. I am now having glycolic peels to treat it and speed up the fading.
TTO
Reviewed on March 11, 2015

I just began using tea tree oil two days ago. I poured half tea tree oil in the cap it came with along with half vitamin E oil. Just in two days I am very impressed! I don't typically have acne, but I currently have small pimples on my right cheek from not taking my make up off before bed (I had midterms and was tired for an entire week, bad decision!!) I also have small dark spots right on my T-zone area that don't seem to go away. In just 24 hours there has been a drastic reduction of the pimples on my face. I'm excited to go home and wash away the day's dirt and to reapply the oil. However, a slight warning!!! Tea tree oil has a STRONG smell. My bathroom is in the back of my house and I can smell it when I enter my front door, from using it hours before. The smell doesn't bother me much, it does not smell bad. It is just a very STRONG smell. Nevertheless I greatly advise using TTO if you have light acne or the occasional pimple!!

Smell is strong
Reviewed on March 8, 2015

Overall the product will takes weeks before you will see an improvement

Clears up whiteheads, but caused more acne
Reviewed on March 8, 2015

I fell in love with this stuff when i first used it. My whiteheads instantly dissapeared it was too good to be true! Then i noticed i broke out really bad after using tea tree oil. When i stopped using it my breakouts were much less severe, but unfortunately i could not use this to clear them up again.

by SheikhOvais on 05/18/2015 18:22
Everyone's skin is different. It may just not be suitable for you. You did well by aborting its use. If something doesn't workout, just leave it and look for another one.
potentially more damaging than nourishing
Reviewed on February 24, 2015

very harsh stuff. caused my skin alot of damage. can kill acne, but can damage skin. would not describe it as 'nourishing'

by *DarkHeart* on 04/24/2015 15:16
In what way did it damage your skin? Just curious because I am looking for a natural acne treatment after a 10% glycolic acid damaged my skin. If TTO can damage my skin as well I want to stay away from it...