Tea Tree Oil reviews

4.1/5 - 584 reviews

Tea tree oil is defined by international standard ISO 4730 (2004) ("Oil of Melaleuca, Terpinen-4-ol type"), which specifies levels of 15 components, which are needed to define the oil as "tea tree oil.

Among over 98 compounds contained in the oil, terpinen-4-ol is responsible for most of the antimicrobial activity.

Too drying
Reviewed on June 22, 2014

Dries out spots but also dries out skin horribly too.

love love love!!!
Reviewed on June 14, 2014

I had tried everything... Epiduo, bpo, clindamycin, differin, you name it. Everything seemed to take too much time and didn't help much to prevent. I wanted to switch over to something more natural and decided to try to add this into my regimen.

It's amazing. Literally once you get over the gross herbal smell (which had grown on me!) You'll start to love the tingly sensation on your face of killing off acne and preventing new ones.

My regimen: add ONE DROP to moisturizer AM and PM. If I'm feeling a break out coming on from my menstrual cycle then I'll add two or three drops AND/OR spot treat using a qtip. It literally reduces the size of a full fledged red angry pimple by 50% next morning. In less than 3 days that pimple will be gone. Never had any medicine ever work this great!!!!!

Really the only thing is the smell. I like it but I guess it can get to some people. The smell wears off later.

Highly recommended.

Not for me
Reviewed on May 16, 2014

I tried using 100% Pure Tea Tree Oil (TTO) from NOW foods to control my 7-years ongoing mild acne problem. I generally only had acne on my right cheek and would rarely break out anywhere else (except maybe right jaw line as well). At the time I started using TTO, I had 3 problem pimples on my right cheek. Within a day or two it turned into 5. A week later, 10. A month in now, I can count about 20 painful, red, hideous pimples on my face. Worst part is, it's no longer isolated to my right cheek. I have pimples on my forehead, left cheek, nose, chin, everywhere!

Some extra information: I started off by pouring a little TTO onto a cotton swab and then applying the oil all over my face (nondiluted) after every shower. I would then leave it on the entire night. Since my breakouts only got progressively worse, I thought maybe that was too much concentration and area, so a couple weeks in, I started diluting it and using it as spot treatment only (dipping a Q-tip first in water, then TTO). I notice that every single small pimple I try to spot treat turns into a papule, then a pustule, then eventually a nodule. TTO has definitely making my acne worse, the worst I have ever seen it.

I will discontinue use of it and see if my face gets any better.

by ambernicole897 on 06/23/2014 10:04
Hi! I have recently experienced this same thing! I started TTO for the same reasons, with very very mild acne. After three days of spot treating my face with 10% TTO, my entire face has erupted. I am a month out fromnusing TTO, and my skin still looks just as bad. The nodules and pustules will not clear no matter what I do! Went to my dermatologist, and she is having me use a gentle cleanser along with Aczone topical cream. I am also taking an oral antibiotic. I have been on this regimen for three weeks with not much luck. How is your face doing? What have you used since stopping TTO? Is anything working?? Thanks!!
by Iii on 07/30/2014 19:13
Just saying - acne like this is probably caused by something really specific like using your cellphone on a specific side of your face, or sleeping on your side, or driving and the sun hits that side. Sleeping face up should help a lot !! Or using speakerphone or using a hat : )
by Iii on 07/30/2014 19:13
Great for very oily and sensitive skin
Reviewed on April 8, 2014

I'm currently using Desert Essence brand -Kinder to Skin Australian Tea Tree oil. This one is for sensitive skin; it comes in a bigger bottle for $8.49 @ Whole Foods market. I'd say this is the best organic product that ever worked on my acne. Nothing is completely perfect but this is good enough to treat acne and skin naturally. There's been improvement ever since I started using it. I also use Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean face wash and the Oil control lotion. Better than benzoyl peroxide, Proactiv, Burt's Bees, Neutrogena...I just couldn't believe Proactiv seems popular but it's no different that other over the counter medication. It has Salilyic acid just like the other ones which never worked on my acne. No effect at all. It's a waste of money to buy a product with the same ingredient when you can buy another one for a lesser price at any store.

But Australian Tea Tree oil really woks if you use it the right way. I don't dilute mine with water but I probably should since it can be a bit stingy but it conditions my skin and dries up the acne. Eating healthy and not being too stressed will probably help too.

Not a fan of purging.
Reviewed on April 7, 2014

I used 100% tea tree oil without even diluting it. Which is not a good idea.

by ambernicole897 on 06/23/2014 10:05
What did you experience? What did you use to clear up after TTO? Is your face better now?
Great
Reviewed on April 4, 2014

TIP: don't use straight TTO (also called melaleuca). I put it in some cocoanut oil so it doesn't dry my skin and it delutes it some as well. Also if you store it in another container don't use anything but glass because it'll break down plastic. But anyway I've used it for about a week and it seems to be clearing my acne. I've had acne for about 3 years and it was getting worse which is so frustrating. I heard it worked for a friend and I was pretty desperate anyway so I went for it. I put it on at night and put a little bit directly on a big spot on the morning if it needs it. If you delute it it shouldn't sting or dry out as much. I've heard there's a detox stage so if it gets worse but isn't irritating your skin I'd hold out a little longer. It's natural and pretty powerful so that's basically a win!

WARNING! Avoid 100% Tea Tree Oil!!!!
Reviewed on March 11, 2014

5% Tea Tree Oil = 5% Benzoyl Peroxide?

Most people here are going to use tea tree oil, because they see that it's been compared to 5% benzoyl peroxide. I read this study as well, and I'm hearing that 5% tea tree oil may still work, as long as you dilute it in a carrier oil or water. Makes sense.

You wouldn't want to slather 100% b.p. all over your face, and the same goes for tea tree oil.

I just wanted to let you guys know, because I'm doing a 15-day study (with daily pictures) on tea tree oil, and using it exactly as you would Dan's Regimen, (just replacing 2.5% b.p. with 100% tea tree) and this is a HUGE mistake. For the sake of science, I'm going to complete my study, which you can follow below:

This is the first time I have broken out in cystic acne since doing my "acne on purpose," study. Seriously! Avoid 100% tea tree oil like it's the plague.

If this was helpful, feel free to thumb this up, and spread the word so people know to NOT use 100% tea tree oil. Again, 5% may work, but 100% is a huge mistake, and will cause cystic acne! I've seen many other people in the Forum here experiencing similar reactions.

PS: If you are going to dilute tea tree oil, the best way to do it is to go 95ml water and 5ml tea tree oil. That's all "they" mean when they say 2.5% or 5% of something. It's 2.5 parts 'x' and 97.5 parts 'y'.

by ambernicole897 on 06/23/2014 10:06
Have you been able to get rid of your acne after using TTO? How?
Miracle oil, indeed
Reviewed on March 7, 2014

The only solution that work for me. I never thought oil can heal acne but in the opposite, it does. It heal wounded acne so fast like it was a 5 days healed acne. I like tea tree oil so much. I recommend Thrusday Tea Tree Oil as i'm using it.

Dilute, dilute dilute it!!!
Reviewed on February 12, 2014

After I wash with (undisclosed product) I fill a glass bowl with Luke warm water (about 2 cups of filtered water) and add only 4 drops to the water. I use a muslin cloth and gently wipe my face to disinfect so I can then put on an occlusive moisturizer (sheabutter) after my face has dried. you see, the reason some break out using moisturizers with a comedogenic scale of ZERO, is because A) they have not removed all the face wash residue B) in the case of active acne, there is bacteria being trapped under the moisturizer. Sadly most toners are poorly formulated and apple cider vinegar can become something quite nasty if trapped under a moisturizer. The proof is in the picture, my friends. Look at my profile.

AMAZING
Reviewed on February 6, 2014

I have suffered from severe cystic acne ever since I had my second son who turned 1 a few months back and I was at my wits end literally.. I tried proactiv along with every name brand product u can find at a drugstore or walmart NOTHING worked. I have combined a multivitamin with a ginger root supplement and fish oil ( all three support digestive health which is key in battling cystic acne) with tea tree oil each morning and night and after just a few days I am seeing HUGE improvement. All of my big cyst like bumps are gone and my overall skin texture is getting healthier and more radiant by the day. From what I have learned acne stems from many internal problems so while TTO is amazing u must pair this with a healthy diet, vitamins and minerals, omega 3s and lots of water and natural green tea with raw honey. Natural remedies are good for other diseases too I suffer from prolonged anxiety which has led me into depression but by combining Fo-to and ginseng supplements( find these at a health or vitamin shop) I am combatting these diseases as well as purifying my body. Natures medicine is the only medicine. I haven't felt this good in almost ten years. I really wanted to share this story because of how happy I am since I started using natural medicine instead of man made pharmaceuticals. It's become such a hobby of mine I am studying all kinds if natural cures. It has greatly reduced my stress level as well! All of these problems are linked to acne! Also walmart carries Australian 100 percent pure TTO for $2.57 in America so if u r paying $10 check it out in the pharmacy section in walmart! It's a nice size bottle too!

by Mhintz on 02/06/2014 08:35
That should read fo-ti
by IlTXMom on 05/29/2014 18:19
Do you take T.T.O. internally along with vitamins, fish oil, etc? Or topically?