Tea Tree Oil reviews

Tea Tree Oil

Tea tree oil is defined by international standard ISO 4730 (2004) ("Oil of Melaleuca, Terpinen-4-ol type"), which specifies levels of 15 components, which are needed to define the oil as "tea tree oil."

Among over 98 compounds contained in the oil, terpinen-4-ol is responsible for most of the antimicrobial activity.

Tea Tree Oil

Life changing if you get high quality essential oils!
Reviewed on May 15, 2017

I am so excited about tea tree oil!! I have recently become so fed up with being a slave to acne products. I've struggled with acne since I was like 10 years old (not exaggerating...), now I am an adult, with two children, and am still dealing with acne. Dumb. And I feel like I have tried SO many things for my skin (prescription drugs, prescription topical creams, birth control, Proactiv, and a million store-bought regimes.) BOO. SO DONE. The one thing that I know works with my skin is Benzoyl Peroxide. But I hate using it! I hate that it stains things, I think it's giving me wrinkles, I hate that my skin is so dependent on it - (like am I going to be be buying this for FOREVER??) - and I hate that I have no clue what's even in that tube yet I smother my face with it every night. I feel like it helps with my acne but it's not GOOD for my skin, or me, and I'm tired of using it. THERE HAS TO BE ANOTHER WAY.

Well. I THINK my "other way" is essential oils. I've been researching a lot about essential oils and I've been really fascinated by it all. I bought a $5 bottle of "100% pure" tea tree oil from Target. It burned my skin and did not feel like a good thing. Maybe it helped my acne a bit because it dried my skin out. Then I did more research and learned that the cheap oils you can get at drugstores or amazon are NOT pure (even if they say 100% pure - that really only has to mean that 10% of what's in the bottle is 100% pure.). It would be impossible to distill oils for as cheap as $5/ bottle. You really do have to pay for quality. And I was determined to know EXACTLY what I was putting on my face, and that it was GOOD. So I decided to try doTERRA. I had heard good things about the company and that their oils were the highest quality. I can't even tell you the difference between the bottle from Target and the doTERRA melaleuca (another name for tea tree oil). Honestly the "100% pure" bottle smelled like alcohol after I smelled the ACTUALLY pure oil. And the difference in my skin has been amazing!! It DEFINITELY clears my skin just as good, if not better, than benzoyl peroxide. It feels amazing. I love the smell. I love that it's natural and ethical. and I love love love that I know exactly what I'm putting on my skin - it's something I would happily do everyday for the rest of my life! I feel like I'm finally trying to HELP my skin, and not just ATTACK it. Let me know if you want more info about my routine (I use three oils in my routine now!). I'm tired of typing for now, but honestly I could talk about this for days!

It's good
Reviewed on May 14, 2017

I bought a tea tree oil stick back before my freshman year of high school, and it was my first time using tea tree on my face. I used it for the whiteheads on my forehead and some pustles and they seemed to go away fairly quickly by drying them out; unfortunately, it's not as effective as it was the first time I used it which was a few years ago but I still recommend you should give it a shot.

Reviewed on April 2, 2017

small drop in Acne.org cleanser. skin tone more even. seems to be preventing breakouts.

100% effective, 100% natural, 100% worth trying!
Reviewed on March 31, 2017

This stuff has been a potent but definite Lifesaver for me. I have recently started suffering with what is now the most chronic onset of hormonal cystic acne on my jawline and chin area. Acne has been the bane of my life since 14 (now aged 38) but I have NEVER had the level of intensity or this type of acne until a few months ago. It has crushed my confidence and I only leave the house when I have to. I was worried about using 100% Tea Tree Oil neat. But my pain threshold is high and my skin has become accustomed to the powerhouse that is Tea Tree Oil, after consistent and careful use over the last few months. What is great about this stuff is that whilst, I am now able to use it neat (and have done for several weeks), the bacteria baddies implicated in causing my acne don't seem to have developed a tolerance which means it continues to be as effective as it was from my first use. I never experience burning or redness, provided that the skin I apply it to is not broken or already irritated. I use clean fingers to apply sparingly to each separate blemish, avoiding unaffected areas of my face. The smell doesn't bother me and even if it did, I would declare that 8 out of 10 blemishes being either greatly reduced or dried up and shrunk to a pin head the next morning worth possibly smelling a bit like a eucalyptus munching Koala bear. I would NOT recommend that ANYONE use this neat as it is very strong. However, even diluting it with water or a carrier oil would be beneficial and you could possibly increase the concentration over time. At £2.99 for a 30ml bottle from Savers, lasts me ages ( despite using it neat), so diluting it would mean it could last you for months. If you've exhausted OTC or prescribed topical treatments, I genuinely recommend Tea Tree Oil, however you decide to apply it.

Great stuff
Reviewed on March 31, 2017

When I was younger, I had MAD lice and my family always used this amazing oil to get rid of it and keep it at bay. I was skeptical about using this on my face, but lots of people had recommended it to me. I made the mistake of putting 2 drops undiluted all over my face and I swear my skin almost burnt off. DILUTE THIS OIL! IT'S POWERFUL.

The best way I find to use this oil is to add a drop or two to your daily moisturizer. I use Nivea Soft and add one drop and mix it thoroughly in my hand and apply like usual. I was surprised when it didn't leave an oily feel, in fact, it left my face feeling matte (in a good way!).

The next day, my skin was less bumpy and less red. My skin felt really amazing. My skin has gotten better after only three days of use (above method twice a day). Also, it smells super good, at least for me.

I'd say give it a go, no harm in trying.

Tea tree oil
Reviewed on March 24, 2017

It burns my face and my eyes are running water is that normal for it

by somedaymaybe on 03/26/2017 08:32
Are you putting it all over your face? Because I'd recommend not doing that. Use it as a spot treatment, so only apply to the affected area. And dilute the Tea Tree Oil with water. You'll have to test out how much of it your skin can handle; for me I often had more water than Tea Tree Oil because it was so strong.
by earthangel1979 on 03/31/2017 18:59
I agree with somedaymaybe; this should be used as a spot treatment ONLY. If it's not broke, don't fix it..........applying to clear skin is asking for trouble. Maybe you could use a drop or 2 mixed with your moisturiser or choice. It's worked wonders for me and has become the only thing I use to treat my acne.
It worked, and then it didn't.
Reviewed on March 22, 2017

Growing up I've always had pretty good skin, only ever had the occasional pimple that lasted 2-5 days every few weeks, sometimes months if I was lucky. But in the last 6 months my skin has broken out and nothing has seemed to work. A lot of it is cystic acne that lingers before it gets worse, and repeats the process every few weeks; so basically, the pimples I have are constant.

I tried face cleansers, such as Sukin, Clearasil, Neutrogena, and St.Ives. None of it did a thing, in fact they just brought on more pimples. I tried acne spot treatments, using the same brands, and also Benzac, and then anti-biotic creams. No change. So I decide to try more natural products; fresh aloe vera gel (which made one of my cystic pimples infected), honey, and salt water. No positive changes again. I then tried just washing my face with warm water, switched it to cold water later on, and neither had an affect. This is when I finally decided to buy Tea Tree Oil.

I read positive reviews, a lot mentioning that it's practically a miracle worker. And indeed it was...for a short while. This one cystic pimple I've had for 3 months straight finally decided to decrease in size, the inflammation was fading, and I finally thought I'd found a cure. But then a few days later I started to notice that I was breaking out around this cystic pimple; almost as if it was curing one, but bringing on a dozen more. I continued to use it however. The pimples started to fade and my confidence built back up again. Until two weeks later when I woke up to this cystic pimple staring back at me in the mirror again; it was huge, it was red, and it was painful. I continued to use Tea Tree Oil. But, it's now been almost two months since using this product, and none of the original pimples have gone, and in fact I have more than I started with.

I've always diluted the Tea Tree Oil, as it was far too strong for my sensitive skin, and the smell was awful. I first started by putting it on twice a day, and when my pimples were at their worst I used it up to six times a day. It made no difference how much and how often I used it.

I'm thinking this product is just not suitable for me, as it has been for so many other people. So in saying that, I would recommend at least trying this product as a spot treatment, as you never know which way it'll go; it could either be the miracle cure you've been waiting for, it could be the worst decision for your skin, or it could just simply not have an affect at all.

Tea tree oil saved my life (seriously)
Reviewed on March 17, 2017

I've had a severe cystic acne-like condition on my buttocks region since I was in elementary school 20 years ago. It's made my life painful, embarrassing and generally awful. I'd go through weeks where it was painful to sit down. I'd get these pea or even marble sized cysts that would ooze pus and blood. Needless to say I've tried everything. BP aggravated my skin, bleached my underwear and clothes, and never did anything significant. No other topicals seemed to have any effect. When I got into my late teens, the acne started to spread onto my back and chest, and finally in my early 20s I decided it was time to take extreme action. I went on accutane. After 4 months dealing with the annoying side effects, the steep price (since my insurance was terrible), I finally started to see improvements on my back and chest. But my buttocks was still seeing little improvement. After I finished accutane, my dermatologist looked at my buttocks and said, "hmm, that is unusual.... just wait a few months and I'm sure it will go away." Well a few months later I'm back at his office and it hasn't gone away. Puzzled, he prescribed me a very powerful oral antibiotic (not doxy, which I'd tried before and did nothing). For the first time that actually did improve my buttocks condition after just a week, but the digestive side effects were terrible, and it wasn't something I could continue long-term. After I finished that antibiotic, problems started up again almost immediately.

That was a couple years ago, and while most of my body acne is gone, the painful cysts on my buttocks kept popping up, deep and painful and awful, and seemingly getting worse and worse as the months went by. Recently, I read some research articles online about how my condition probably isn’t acne at all — but more likely to be a staph infection. Knowing that antibiotics have never worked for me, I searched around some more and found a couple more recent scientific studies that showed the effectiveness of treating staph infections with tea-tree oil. So like the dozens of other treatments I’ve tried in the past, I decided to give it a shot.

I bought a little vile of organic tea tree oil, and a bottle of organic jojoba oil from my local co-op. I added 100 drops of tea tree oil to a 1 oz dropper bottle and filled it the rest of the way with jojoba. Every night, I take a shower with Dr. Bronner’s tea tree oil soap (why not?) and then liberally apply the solution to the affected areas. I do it at night because the smell is incredibly strong and I don’t want to show up at work so pungent. After just a few days, I started to notice improvements, and after 2 weeks, for the FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE (since I was in 2nd grade…) my buttocks was smooth and free of bumps. Still lots of scarring but no more painful lumps and bumps. It made a grown man break down and cry. I literally owe my life to tea tree oil, an absolute miracle plant. I even add a couple dozen drops into my washer when I'm doing laundry, just to kill off any possible staph living in my clothes. If I cut myself, I put a bit of tea-tree oil on it. It's an amazing plant. Absolutely recommend to anyone who's struggling with a condition that is puzzling dermatologists and standard treatments have all failed.

by thymsjsj on 03/27/2017 00:57
it sounds like you have hidradenitis suppurativa. look into it!
cant live without
Reviewed on March 8, 2017

This is really amazing for hormonal, cystic acne. Having PCOS makes finding products for your skin super aggravating. This has made such a difference in my skin since starting. I get mine from the Body Shop, usually when its on sale. This works great if you're allergic to benzoyl peroxide or if bp did not work. BP breaks me out so bad. Tree oil has the same purpose and its all natural, so you know exactly whats going on your skin.This also leaves my skin feeling matte and not gross and oily. I use like 2-3 drops and press it into my skin (pretty much my entire face). This also works great in preventing acne as well.

by earthangel1979 on 03/31/2017 19:02
Totally agree about TTO benefits for Cystic Acne. Not sure I would recommend it as a prevention method as it could be too harsh on "normal," unaffected skin. Everyone is different, therefore as we all know, trial and error is the gauntlet all acne sufferers must run.
Didn't really work
Reviewed on March 1, 2017

Before I used BP I tried tea tree oil for a while. It didn't really help my. I didn't saw much change.