Tea Tree Oil reviews

4.1/5 - 596 reviews

Tea tree oil is defined by international standard ISO 4730 (2004) ("Oil of Melaleuca, Terpinen-4-ol type"), which specifies levels of 15 components, which are needed to define the oil as "tea tree oil.

Among over 98 compounds contained in the oil, terpinen-4-ol is responsible for most of the antimicrobial activity.

Good for spot treatment
Reviewed on October 10, 2014

I used tea tree all over for a while but now only as a spot treatment. I found it unnecessary with the use of sulfur instead. I do however like this as a spot treatment for stubborn acne that wont come to a head as it makes the top layers of skin peel off relatively fast when applied full strength 2 times per day for a few days.

Reduced pimples and scars! (Diluted with coconut oil and vitamin E)
Reviewed on September 24, 2014

I've never had clear skin, but in the past year it's been way worse! I've tried so many different things and nothing has been working. My doctor prescribed me Differin but my health coverage won't kick in for a few months, so that caused me to look for natural ways to heal my skin.

This week I picked up some tea tree oil because I wanted to experiment with natural ingredients. I melted about 1tbsp of coconut oil and added 15 or so drops of tea tree oil and quite a lot of vitamin E oil (didn't measure). I cleaned my face with my regular cleanser and put a small amount of my tea tree oil mixture on the painful pimples in my face along with some moisturizer. I also put some on a dark scar on my knee that I got last summer.

When I woke up, I saw a dramatic difference -the red painful pimples on my chin were gone and starting to heal. My scar is now half as dark as it was, which shocked me. It's been just 3 days and my skin isn't perfect, but I'm starting to have hope that some day I will have clear skin!

I think having a light oil to dilute the tea tree oil and thin out the thick vitamin E oil increases the effectiveness of both ingredients on skin . I've used vitamin E on its own before and it didn't work half as well. So far, the tea tree oil has been amazing for getting rid of pimples. Just remember to clean the grime of the day off first. :)

Good disinfectant, but it didn't clear up my acne.
Reviewed on September 24, 2014

I began using 100% pure Tea Tree Oil when I decided I wanted to leave harsh chemical washes behind and take a more natural route to skincare. I began using it as just a spot treatment, but when I found no results after two weeks of using it, I moved on to diluting it into my moisturizer and other things. While it did make my skin feel very clean and "minty", I still was seeing no progress in clearing up ongoing and new breakouts (my breakouts are more cystic and hormonal). I figured after a little over a month of using it (and other Tea Tree products) that this method is not right for my skin. I may come back to it and try again in the future, but for now it'll sit on my bathroom shelf.

I would recommend trying this product for a month to see if it's a good alternative for you, and if not, move on.

PROS:

It leaves a "minty" feel on your face

While it didn't clear me up, it did "flatten" pimples so that they weren't so off-the-face noticeable

Great disinfectant

Seemed to help a little with the larger blackheads I had around my nose

Smells wonderful!

CONS:

Can dry out skin if used in excess

Didn't reduce my hormonal and cystic acne, and didn't prevent new breakouts from coming in

Occasionally made my skin red and irritated - although I may have just been using a bit too much on one area

avocado oil + tea tree oil = miracle!
Reviewed on September 18, 2014

I have been using 25% strength TTO and it's working wonders. I have a problem with overdrying and used to do avocado masks to keep my skin moisturized — so when I saw avocado oil right next to the tea tree at Target, I thought- okay, it's an unconventional carrier oil, but I bet it will work- I was right!!!! My method for cleansing is essentially based on the oil cleansing method:

I dilute 5ml TTO for every 15 ml Avocado Oil, which is known for being moisturizing.

I steam my face over just boiled water to open the pores.

I the massage about 5 ml of my oil mixture onto my face for about 2 minutes.

I then exfoliate with sugar (the oil prevents the skin from tearing during this process!) and use a really hot washcloth to steam the remaining oil off my face.

My skin feels soft at the end, and moisturized without feeling greasy. If you have a problem with overdrying I highly recommend this method- my acne improves significantly overnight! Literally just the other night as I was going through my ritual my giant angry pimple on my forehead was much calmer after just rinsing off- not to mention the next day! And I usually suffer from redness right after cleansing!

I do this once a day before bed. It is a process but so far in my experience it is worth it! I am 23 and still struggling with acne, and I am getting married soon so this started as a last ditch effort to battle acne and turned into so much more. Very happy.

Severe acne: Don't use
Reviewed on September 18, 2014

If you have moderate to severe acne, or in my case, cystic acne, don't waste your money.

The first few days I tried it, it maybe dried my acne up a little, but only the surface. It does not get deep down like I need it to. I will continue to use it as temporary relief because it slightly reduces redness.

Miracle juice!
Reviewed on September 15, 2014

I had just got my nosed pierced in July and it was fine for about a month and a half. Late august I developed a bump literally right on my nose piercing which could sometimes be called a keloid. Tried everything from sea salt soaks, to creams and syrums to get rid of this horrible bump but nothing worked as great as I thought it would. Finally I heard of tea tree oil, bought it an organic shop down the street yesterday, worked like a charm. The bump went from ginormous to nearly gone. Also cleared up most of my acne scars. I definitely recommend this product! Hope this helped! Xoxo

Amazing spot treatment - but use carefully!
Reviewed on September 14, 2014

100% tea tree oil is absolutely the best spot treatment I have ever come across. I dab a little on any pimples that form and they flatten days faster than they would ordinarily.

However - only use as a spot treatment (at least in its undiluted form) and only use until the pimple flattens! It leaves healthy skin red and irritated, and if you continue to use it on flattened pimples, they remain very red and take longer to heal.

great product
Reviewed on August 19, 2014

I started using tea tree over a year ago and it's just wonderful! My friend recommended me this cool trick:

https://[link removed]

by Jcham on 09/14/2014 02:58
What cool trick? The link was removed.
Depending on the purity
Reviewed on August 17, 2014

Tea tree oil is known for its antibacterial and healing properties and I use it sometimes. The one I used at first wasn't 100 percent pure and I really didn't notice a difference so I decided to purchase a100 percent pure tea tree oil bottle. This was slightly better and I did notice a bit of difference but not a major one. I would recommend it but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Doesn't work for me
Reviewed on August 10, 2014

Im using this product for the last 2 weeks and have no progress.. in the first week i used it diluting with organic virgin coconut oil, didn't help so i started using directly.. still no use, my pimples don't get reduces, scars haven't gotten better, and new ones keep coming.. I'm at a loss of what to do now, I heard good things about TTO so i thought something can finally help me but didn't work.