Tea Tree Oil reviews

4.1/5 - 600 reviews

Tea tree oil is defined by international standard ISO 4730 (2004) ("Oil of Melaleuca, Terpinen-4-ol type"), which specifies levels of 15 components, which are needed to define the oil as "tea tree oil.

Among over 98 compounds contained in the oil, terpinen-4-ol is responsible for most of the antimicrobial activity.

Best Non-Irritating Spot Treatment
Reviewed on December 9, 2014

As a person who only spends money on a facial cleanser and toner, I always am looking around the house for treatments I can use without spending money. So far, tea tree oil is my favorite. I have been using it for several years now, and at first I was turned off by the smell and drying effect it had (my skin was very oily at the time; it has improved since). However, after trying OTC benzoyl peroxide and noticing it had little to no effect on my pimples, I have turned back to using it twice a day after washing my face and applying a toner. The trick is using a cotton swab (Q-tip) instead of a cotton ball or your fingers, applying it only on large pimples, not on large areas. Although it dries out the pimple, it still tends to make it somewhat greasy feeling afterward. Therefore, I have to wait about 20 minutes before applying makeup to my face, which is a downside.

most effective acne treatment
Reviewed on November 30, 2014

I had moderate acne for years and none of the prescriptions my dermatologist gave me worked, so I did some research and decided to try tea tree oil. Now my skin is completely clear but dry so I have to moisturize often. Also, it took several months of applying tea tree oil on my face before I saw any difference. The only bad thing about it is it dries out my skin and makes it red so I use a tinted moisturizer everyday. Still, by far the most effective acne treatment for me and I'm so glad I found it.

Irritated Skin
Reviewed on November 11, 2014

I tried Tee Tree Oil as a spot treatment and found it too harsh/concentrated for my sensitive skin. I had one particularly bad experience... I applied it as a spot treatment to one stubborn pimple. I used a q-tip to put a tiny spot of Tee Tree Oil on the blemish and left it on overnight. I woke up to dry, irritated skin near the spot treatment. Perhaps if your skin is not sensitive or dry-prone, give this a shot! Otherwise I would suggest trying something else.

(I highly suggest diluting this with water if you are using it for the first time!!!)

Life Saver!!!
Reviewed on November 5, 2014

Hi Guys,

If you haven’t already you should seriously give 100% Tea Tree Oil a go. It may not work for everyone but it worked for me. After never having a problem with Acne until 2 years ago (I’m 28 now) I spent a bucket load of money on prescription tablets, ointments, over the counter ointments, Micros, expensive skin care ect. Some things worked for a couple of weeks and then it went back to chaos. At the moment I’m using a chemist brand every day cleanser (not a cleanser for oily skin), I put about 15 drops of tea tree oil in with it and use it twice a day. You can also use an undiluted drop as a spot treatment. It goes away completely within 24 hours and a dramatic difference just in 12 hours. If you struggle with ingrown hairs you can mix 50/50 Olive Oil to Tea Tree oil and apply twice a day and it completely clears and prevents ingrown hairs. AND it’s SO CHEAP!! $6 for a bottle at the chemist. Life saver!!!

Good for spot treatment
Reviewed on October 10, 2014

I used tea tree all over for a while but now only as a spot treatment. I found it unnecessary with the use of sulfur instead. I do however like this as a spot treatment for stubborn acne that wont come to a head as it makes the top layers of skin peel off relatively fast when applied full strength 2 times per day for a few days.

Reduced pimples and scars! (Diluted with coconut oil and vitamin E)
Reviewed on September 24, 2014

I've never had clear skin, but in the past year it's been way worse! I've tried so many different things and nothing has been working. My doctor prescribed me Differin but my health coverage won't kick in for a few months, so that caused me to look for natural ways to heal my skin.

This week I picked up some tea tree oil because I wanted to experiment with natural ingredients. I melted about 1tbsp of coconut oil and added 15 or so drops of tea tree oil and quite a lot of vitamin E oil (didn't measure). I cleaned my face with my regular cleanser and put a small amount of my tea tree oil mixture on the painful pimples in my face along with some moisturizer. I also put some on a dark scar on my knee that I got last summer.

When I woke up, I saw a dramatic difference -the red painful pimples on my chin were gone and starting to heal. My scar is now half as dark as it was, which shocked me. It's been just 3 days and my skin isn't perfect, but I'm starting to have hope that some day I will have clear skin!

I think having a light oil to dilute the tea tree oil and thin out the thick vitamin E oil increases the effectiveness of both ingredients on skin . I've used vitamin E on its own before and it didn't work half as well. So far, the tea tree oil has been amazing for getting rid of pimples. Just remember to clean the grime of the day off first. :)

Good disinfectant, but it didn't clear up my acne.
Reviewed on September 24, 2014

I began using 100% pure Tea Tree Oil when I decided I wanted to leave harsh chemical washes behind and take a more natural route to skincare. I began using it as just a spot treatment, but when I found no results after two weeks of using it, I moved on to diluting it into my moisturizer and other things. While it did make my skin feel very clean and "minty", I still was seeing no progress in clearing up ongoing and new breakouts (my breakouts are more cystic and hormonal). I figured after a little over a month of using it (and other Tea Tree products) that this method is not right for my skin. I may come back to it and try again in the future, but for now it'll sit on my bathroom shelf.

I would recommend trying this product for a month to see if it's a good alternative for you, and if not, move on.

PROS:

It leaves a "minty" feel on your face

While it didn't clear me up, it did "flatten" pimples so that they weren't so off-the-face noticeable

Great disinfectant

Seemed to help a little with the larger blackheads I had around my nose

Smells wonderful!

CONS:

Can dry out skin if used in excess

Didn't reduce my hormonal and cystic acne, and didn't prevent new breakouts from coming in

Occasionally made my skin red and irritated - although I may have just been using a bit too much on one area

avocado oil + tea tree oil = miracle!
Reviewed on September 18, 2014

I have been using 25% strength TTO and it's working wonders. I have a problem with overdrying and used to do avocado masks to keep my skin moisturized — so when I saw avocado oil right next to the tea tree at Target, I thought- okay, it's an unconventional carrier oil, but I bet it will work- I was right!!!! My method for cleansing is essentially based on the oil cleansing method:

I dilute 5ml TTO for every 15 ml Avocado Oil, which is known for being moisturizing.

I steam my face over just boiled water to open the pores.

I the massage about 5 ml of my oil mixture onto my face for about 2 minutes.

I then exfoliate with sugar (the oil prevents the skin from tearing during this process!) and use a really hot washcloth to steam the remaining oil off my face.

My skin feels soft at the end, and moisturized without feeling greasy. If you have a problem with overdrying I highly recommend this method- my acne improves significantly overnight! Literally just the other night as I was going through my ritual my giant angry pimple on my forehead was much calmer after just rinsing off- not to mention the next day! And I usually suffer from redness right after cleansing!

I do this once a day before bed. It is a process but so far in my experience it is worth it! I am 23 and still struggling with acne, and I am getting married soon so this started as a last ditch effort to battle acne and turned into so much more. Very happy.

Severe acne: Don't use
Reviewed on September 18, 2014

If you have moderate to severe acne, or in my case, cystic acne, don't waste your money.

The first few days I tried it, it maybe dried my acne up a little, but only the surface. It does not get deep down like I need it to. I will continue to use it as temporary relief because it slightly reduces redness.

Miracle juice!
Reviewed on September 15, 2014

I had just got my nosed pierced in July and it was fine for about a month and a half. Late august I developed a bump literally right on my nose piercing which could sometimes be called a keloid. Tried everything from sea salt soaks, to creams and syrums to get rid of this horrible bump but nothing worked as great as I thought it would. Finally I heard of tea tree oil, bought it an organic shop down the street yesterday, worked like a charm. The bump went from ginormous to nearly gone. Also cleared up most of my acne scars. I definitely recommend this product! Hope this helped! Xoxo