Sodium Sulfacetamide reviews

4.2/5 - 96 reviews

Sodium Sulfacetamide (10%).

Purified water; propylene glycol; lauramide DEA (and) diethanolamine; polyethylene glycol 400, monolaurate; hydroxyethyl cellulose; sodium chloride; sodium metabisulfite; methylparaben; xanthan gum; EDTA and simethicone.

Much gentler than benzoyl peroxide
Reviewed on May 13, 2014

I have been using this for only a week, and I am already seeing dramatic results. Not only does it help to reduce my breakouts, but it has even help to fade my hyperpigmentation a bit. My skin usually gets red and flaky after I put BP on and it usually takes a few weeks to see any tangible results. I think I just might stick with this instead of my usual BP and Retin-A.

This stuff works!
Reviewed on May 12, 2014

I've been using a 9% Sodium Sulfaceramide/ 4% Sulfur face wash for almost 7-8 months now and it has yet to fail me. I don't know how but this stuff works. Supposedly it creates a bad environment for bacteria to grow on your skin. I hate spot treating as I think it is such a hassle getting it off and always leaves weird, dry, random spots wherever I try to spot treat so I like to use face washes for treatment. Right now I have one pimple on my forehead and it is going down! I used to first take off my make up with a Cerave face wash THEN use this face wash in the night but recently I stopped doing that and no problem! I do, however use a Clinique clarifying lotion after this and it does pick up some left over makeup/dirt etc. I think this is great for mild-moderate/persistent acne. It really helps keep your skin clear. It is very gentle and does not irritate my skin at all like benzoyl peroxide. It does have a strong, sulfury smell but the end results are worth it. It is creamy, does not foam or lather up so if you like those it does take a bit adjusting. Overall, I like this stuff a lot and I think it's a huge contribution to my clearer skin. But like everything else, it's not a miracle product and you do need to take care of your skin overall to get the best results!

Works like any other sulfur product.. but can be very over-drying
Reviewed on June 28, 2013

I would recommend you just use a less irritating over the counter sulfur product.. you will achieve similar results without the expensive price and hassle of getting a doctor to give it to you.

Reviewed on November 29, 2012

I tried Clearasil, Neutrogena facewashes, soap free, oil free, Aveeno Foam cleanser, etc. Nothing worked - acne never went away, just got worse.

My pimples either come to a head right away, are small and can be picked off, or are biggish bumps that stay under the skin for ages! All of them leave a red scar no matter what... and on top of that I am a picker. Awful habit, need to break it.

This product works by killing the bacteria on the skin that causes acne. I find this a lot better than oral meds, unless you have hormonal acne. This heals any of the "correctly" popped pimples by helping them come to a scab overnight! For the ones I pick at, the skin just gets damaged and it takes longer to heal.

Right now, my derm has put me on this stuff, minocycline 100 mg daily, and veltin gel. I think this combo works wonders if you have a similar condition to me. i have VERY SENSITIVE skin. cannot use anything harsh.

I use the veltin at night, put aveeno daily moisture lotion after, go to bed, wake up, wash face, put on this stuff! then sunscreen and im out. No makeup.

I am seeing major improvements already. Skin is becoming more evenly toned, less scarring.

Wish the best of luck to all of you. I love this product so far, and I will keep you posted after about 3 more weeks.

BTW - I am 17, in high school getting ready to go to college, wearing no makeup really helps your skin improve!

Reviewed on June 14, 2012

I tried so many things from otc products to washes to oral antibiotics and prescription creams. This is the only thing that has ever worked for my acne cysts! On the rare occassion i have a minor breakout, applying this during the day (i usually inly wear at night) takes away the red and shiney more than any makeup ive tried. Great stuff and inexpensive with my insurance.

Reviewed on March 22, 2012

I have had bad acne for a long time and tried so many things! Even after going to a dermatologist nothing seemed to work until I got prescribed this. My skin became totally clear! I had the foam, and just put it on before going to sleep. If I got a new breakout, it would almost clear it up over night. I recently ran out and started breaking out again. I tried some OTC products, but thankfully got this prescription renewed. It keeps me hopeful for clear skin!

Reviewed on March 20, 2012

take oral antibiotics, maybe try the wash, but the lotion is no good.

Reviewed on December 30, 2011

I realllly wanted this topical to work, I was so hopeful after reading the reviews here and this was my last resort before accutane. At first, I combined this with Bactrim DS and my skin looked good, I had no breakouts! But after getting allergic to bactrim and having to continue Klaron on its own, I just never stopped breaking out. My forehead was muchhh better, no more of those painful cysts but my chin, which is my biggest problem area, would get at least one new zit every single morning. It was so depressing and made me not want to leave the house. However, I loved that it wasn't drying and thankfully it didn't make me break out in places that I didn't break out in before i.e. my cheeks. Everyone knows it's scary trying a new product but this seems to be a rather gentle product and it can make your skin tone look smoother so I'd say go for it just to see how it turns out for you! I tried it for 5 weeks and since my breakouts are getting worse, I just can't continue it any more. I'm really hoping I can get on accutane, there just aren't many more options left and acne is like fighting this invisible enemy that you can't control no matter what! Agh!

Reviewed on August 29, 2011

I have moderate acne mainly pustules and papules with some blackheads. This did nothing for me acne at all after using it for about 2-3 months.

Reviewed on August 1, 2011

Really try this product. It doesn't give harmful side effects and does not irritate the skin at all.