Saw Palmetto Reviews

Saw Palmetto

Cured my hormonal acne on cheeks

Saw palmetto has cured my hormonal acne. I have had lots of small spots on my cheeks since coming of the pill age 24. The brand I use is called nature’s aid and I take twice the amount recommended on the packaging. I take 2 tablets, 3x a day. It has taken a while to work ( about 3 months) but now nearly all my spots are gone!!! I also only use jojoba oil to remove make up and to moisturise. So so happy I came across this!!! The only side effect i habe noticed us slightly more PMS. But I also take Vitex which keeps that at bay.

Be careful taking this!

If you have any stomach issues at all, be cautious taking this! I have PCOS and this supplement was recommended to me. I’m only a week in and have never experienced stomach pain this bad. I’ve had pain every day since starting it and I won’t be continuing it.

Crazy how we all have unique reactions to different herbs. For me it was Vitex who caused so much stomach pain I was taken to the hospital. Then I tried Saw Palmetto and I had no reactions + it helped my acne. Hope you can find a herb that works for you, too!

Miracle!

I suffered with my skin and excess hair since I was 12, I also suffered with anxiety and would constantly pick at my skin. I suffered with oily skin with severe break outs all over especially just before my period. In 2014 I was told I had PCOS, so I did some online research and decided to start taking some herbal meds, change my diet and quit red meat and caffeine. Literally within 2 weeks my skin completely cleared up, no more oily skin and my anxiety and need to pick completely disappeared too. I felt brand new it was amazing! Now I know after all these years (I'm now 44) all my skin and anxiety problems were down to my hormones. This is what I did: I take 320mg saw palmetto (standardised extract) one per day in the morning along with a fish oil capsule and 1000mg evening primrose oil capsule. I no longer drink caffeine. I drink redbush tea which is also very good for your immune system and skin. I limit sugar intake, and try to eat fruit instead (avoid high sugar fruit or fruit that would affect your testeterone levels such as bananas) nuts are great in your diet. Try to stick to a low fat, low carb, high protein diet with lots of fruit, salad and vedgetables. With lean white meats such as fish turkey and chicken. And of course lots of water at least 2 litres a day. I promise you, you'll see a big difference. Saw palmetto literally changed my life.

MEN NEVER TAKE

Attention all men never ever take a DHT inhibitor like Saw Palmetto simply google post Finasteride syndrome it can cause permanent sexual side effects along with breast growth... Please research before taking certain supplements.

Comments

Literally cured my hormonal acne!!!

I have had acne for years. Last year I had the worst outbreak I've ever had and my cheeks and jawline were covered in painful red, inflamed acne. It was not a pretty sight and I totally lost my confidence. I went to the doctor and tried several different prescriptions, including 2 different anti-biotics and topical retinoid. Nothing worked. I am sure the retinoid actually scarred my skin. Anyway, I realised that my acne must be hormonal. So I researched and discovered that I had symptoms of high androgens ' acne, unwanted hair growth on my chin to name a few. So I researched natural anti-androgens and came across Saw Palmetto. I took it, and I'm not joking, within 3 days I was barely getting any new spots! Usually I would break out almost daily! My skin continued to get better and better. At the start of this year, I came across a supplement called SkinClear Elixir by a brand called Botanycl which people were getting really good results from. I noticed it had Saw Palmetto as one of the main ingredients, so I thought I would switch over to see if it was better than using saw palmetto alone. Ive been taking this for 3 weeks now and my skin has completely cleared, I do not have a single spot on my face and all of the red marks left from the old spots have faded dramatically. And I haven't had any side effects whatsoever. Its amazing and I couldn't be happier! I can go out without any make up on now I don't even need to wear foundation anymore. The supplement has other natural ingredients which I think made it work even better than the regular saw palmetto. I got it on their website but have also seen it on Amazon in the UK. If you have hormonal acne, seriously give this a try!!

Comments

Helps with my hormonal acne

In February this year I started getting pimples on my cheeks before my period. This was something new. I had tons of clogged pores and would get 2 or 3 pimples on my chin but never on my cheeks(salicylic acid helped a lot!) . So I started using benzoyl peroxide..my skin looked great for 3-4 month and then I suddenly became allergic to BP and had to stop. Switched back to salicylic acid but that didn't prevent new pimples. I looked horrible way worse than before..I'm not exaggerating. Old cysts wouldn't heal but flare up during ovulation...and new ones would appear. I am in my late 20's.. I haven't cried about my skin in years..probably since I was 18. But I did during that time. It was so bad and I just couldn't get it under control. I thought about getting on BC...but said every month to myself 'wait another month..maybe it gets better'�. It didn't. I came across Saw Palmetto on youtube and ordered it ( I was about to order some supplements anyway and ordered Saw Palmetto to save shipping costs) Only after ordering I started my research...in order for it to work it had to be the standardized version. Of course I ordered the wrong version. Then I read some scary stories about it on reddit and decided not to take it. Weeks have passed and my skin wasn't getting any better. I was about to order BC online when I thought 'you don't want to take a herbal supplement because you might mess up your hormones even more..but you are willing to take BC?!?'� So I started taking my Saw Palmetto..one pill is 450mg..The first two weeks I took 2 pills and then 4 pills a day. I am about to get my period and I have only two active pimples. I have been taking Saw Palmetto for three month now..and only after two month I saw a difference on my face. My small whiteheads on my chest were gone in 2 weeks. I'll finish the not standardized version in 4 days and will start taking the standardized pills then. I'll probably take two pills a day ( one pill is 320 mg). If you have hormonal acne Saw Palmetto is definitely something you should try. But only if you have too much testosterone. If you have been on BC and have acne I think Vitex is more for you. I also lose much less hair than before and my boobs have gotten bigger. I was pretty happy with mine before..but as long as they don't get too big I don't mind it. I am not a native speaker..so excuse any mistakes.

Saw Palmetto works - just give it time

I started taking Saw Palmetto and it really works. It did make my skin break out in the beginning though. Not terribly but i was getting spots in places i previously never got spots. I nearly stopped taking it because it was breaking me out but i had read previously that it could do this so i just continued. It has been about a month and two weeks now. I have just started my period and that it when my skin is worst, just before it starts. I hardly broke out at all and then i realised.................. yeah it is working. I live in South Africa and the only standardised extract i could find was the GNC brand at clicks. It comes in 160mg. I take one in the morning and one in the evening with food. I also try and drink a cup of spearmint tea everyday which i get at dischem. My skin is looking really good. My nose area used to get really oily at night and i can see the improvement when i wake up, less blackheads there now as well. Also i try and NOT drink coffee because i notice if i do, i get spots the next day. Make sure you take standardised extract. Remember Jesus loves you :)

Comments

A lifesaver in my lifelong battle with hormonal acne

I have suffered from acne ever since I was a teenager. I have been on and off the BC pill (Yasmin) for over ten years to treat my acne. Every time I went on the pill, my skin would clear up. Every time I went off the pill, my face was ridden with painful cystic acne. It was unsightly, embarrassing and affecting my confidence and social life. I constantly had lesions on my face that were painful and inflamed. After coming off the pill at age 31, (my migraines with auras no longer made it an option due to an increased risk of stroke), I was forced to look elsewhere for treatment. My dermatologist told me my only options were BC or antibiotics. I began experimenting with altering my diet and taking different herbal supplements for 2 years, yet I was seeing no results. It was beginning to hopeless. When I finally started taking Saw Palmetto, my acne decreased within 4 days. Within just over a week, my skin was looking much better. I was shocked by how quickly it worked. I can't say enough good things about this supplement. I know that every person's acne cause is individualized. However, if you suffer from hormonal acne, please try it. I am writing this review in hopes that it may help another person who is suffering from acne. I understand how frustrating and difficult it is. I wish you good luck, and please know that you are not alone in your journey. 💓

How many mg do you take a day?
What brand and dosage are you taking? So many different options of saw palmetto. Thank you!

Pretty great so far

I am a 23 yo female of Southeast Asian descent. I have had acne since I was 11, 12. But I had noticed more hormonally influenced "cystic acne" since I was 18+. I have used everything you can imagine from the dermatologist's office, except accutane (worried about side effects and all). Spironolactone worked well for me but it would cause me to have my menstrual cycle at least every 2 weeks. SO I switched to birth control, that was probably the worst mistake I have ever made. I was on Alesse for 2 years and I wanted to take myself off of it because it made me gain weight. I had a sudden burst of facial hair and acne came back with a revenge. I have also tried so many DIY treatments, turmeric, chaana dal paste, yogurt, rose water, anything and everything I can get my hands on. Since then I researched a lot and my dermatologist recommended spironolactone again but I decided to go with saw palmetto 160 mg twice a day, along with zinc 50 mg, and Vit D3 1000 IU. It has been barely 2 weeks and have noticed a lot of improvement. I did go through an initial purge for a couple days but started to dry out thereafter. I noticed my face to be less oily and facial hair is also coming back definitely A LOT slower than prior to use. I truly recommend this for anyone who seems like they are running out of options and do not want to switch to accutane. Acne is really a struggle and it may seem like it is not a big deal. But no one really understands unless they are going through it themselves. Again, I have only been using for almost 2 weeks. But I really do like the results so far. Continuing your acne regimen in addition to saw palmetto will help with process. I rated it as 4 stars because of the initial purge and that this is not a cure, maybe I'm being too picky but I wish the acne would go away forever and be one less thing to stress about.

No help

I thought this would help. As an 18 year old male with hormonal acne I thought these supplements that are proven by some studies to block DHT from getting to your head (which makes your hair fall out and controls your sebaceous glands thus causing acne ) were truly going to work. Unfortunately as far as I could tell they made my acne worse for some reason, I stopped taking them.

Am I taking too much???

Hey guys, I have a question: I'm currently taking 22 capsules of 160mg Saw Palmetto Extract a day. I take 10 in the morning, 2 at lunch, 10 at night. I just recently went off Spironolactone and I found it helped me go off the Spiro with less of an impact on my acne. I started with the recommended dose of 320mg per day (2 capsules a day) originally, but eventually I've increased it to the above amount, as i noticed i was getting cysts again and i wanted to stop them. As far as im aware there are no side effects to taking a very high dose of Saw Palmetto. I asked my Naturopath if there is a recommended dose and he said their wasn't. Since taking this high dosage I haven't had any new cysts. The only thing I've noticed is that my nipples are quite sore and tender and my breasts are larger. Any advice is appreciated!! Thanks :)

amazing!

I have hormonal acne and would roughly have about 10 active spots on my face at one time (along with lots of scars) often in an irritated cluster. I started taking saw palmetto about a month ago, two capsules twice a day with meals and the results are really really good. It worked almost straight away, literally the next day i noticed that my skin was smoother, looked and felt less irritated and red. But the main thing was that from when i took it I had NO NEW SPOTS which is literally the dream. Like over the two weeks that i first took it i maybe had one or two new spots appearing in total but thats perfectly fine, i mean i used be getting 5 or 6 a day! My scars have faded a lot and my skin looks nearly perfect! and it was soooo bad before.... I did also stop eating dairy at this time, start taking starflower and evening primrose oil twice a day and multivitamins and probiotics, but i did some experimenting to isolate the effect of the saw palmetto. For about 10 days i stopped taking it (because i ran out), but kept taking everything else and my skin went back to being oily, irritated and producing about 5 spots a day. I was really upset but then when i got some more and took it again, within ONE DAY there were no more spots at all!!!! I feel like a new person its honestly changed my life. The best bit it how quickly it works, Ive taken various prescribed pills before from the doctor and had horrible experiences with dianette taking 6 months to work for me, and making my skin much worse before it started working and yasmin making me fat.... Saw Palmetto worked immediately did not make my skin worse first and had also made me feel less bloated and my body feel more like mine (bonus!) I cant believe they dont offer this on the NHS or as a rule at whatever doctor or derm you go to! This should be everywhere its changed my life!!!!!!! thoroughly recommend!!! Note - I also put topical benzyl peroxide on my skin every night, and sudocrem to help the scarring and tea tree oil, and did full cleanse every day etc..... but ive been doing exactly that for years and seen no change... until i took saw palmetto. Also note i have PCOS related acne so i dont know if that makes a difference in terms of it working for you or not. I hope it works for everyone as well as it did for me!!! and if it doesnt, dont worry you will find something soon i promise, Ive been searching for years to only get lucky now

Did not work

I really wanted to like this! It made me lose weight which was nice but I also lost my period and its been 2 months without it which is concerning. I only took it for 2 months but I didnt want to risk screwing anything up since I wont have medical insurance for another few weeks. Didnt help with oiliness. i was taking 250mg twice a day with pygeum

Saw no difference

Oily, hormonal acne skin. I have taken it off and on for about eight months now and daily for two, and I am not sure if it helps my skin. It did not make a difference before I took vitex, but I'll take anything that helps regulate hormones.

Just over a week in...

I highly recommend taking saw palmetto and have 3 or more Nettle Teas a day! If you havent heard about Nettle Tea you should research. Its just been over a week and my skin is the best it has been- it could be down to the time of the month and im just going through a 'good phase' however i never am this clear i am sure. If your trying to treat your hormonal acne herbally then i have read many times its best to do 2 methods, which is why i have encourporated nettle tea!

Comments

Saw results within days!!!

Okay so I never had horrible acne but it wasn't low key either. my skin was just rough and bumpy and I got lots of white heads mostly on my cheeks and forehead and the odd big sore pimple. At that time of the month this would get like 10x worse. I had become so upset with my appearance that I just cried and cried and didn't want to go out anywhere, so my mum did some research and found Saw Palmetto. I thought I'd give it a shot and it was the best decision I've ever made! On just day 2 of taking Saw Palmetto my acne decreased dramatically, it was even that time of the month and my horrible breakout decreased to just 3 or 4 white heads. By day 6 (today) I have only 1 new pimple, my skin is so much smoother only a couple of small bumps on one cheek. I'm not saying everyone is going to have the same results as me or as quickly because I know for some people it took a month or more before they noticed an improvement. It also might depend on how bad your acne is, since mine wasn't major it seemed to work faster. I would definitely recommend this to any women out there who know their acne is hormonal and want to try a cheap, natural method to clearing their skin. I got one with 60 320mg softgels, and I take 1 per night. Feel free to comment any questions and I will be re-updating after 1 month to let you know how it's going for me.

Stopped hormonal break out

Since I turned 23 I started getting deep inflamed pimples/cysts on my chin. Not always; in waves. Particularly around the time of the month or if I consumed too much cheese which is my favorite food. I am healthy the majority of the time with a good clean diet and lots and lots of water/tea. I got it under control with birth control but recently when I stopped drinking alcohol as much I broke out all over not just my chin but my cheeks. Deep pimples that developed in clusters. One would go away and another would arrive the next day leaving red marks whether or not I popped them. I started taking Saw Palmetto. Started with 3 160 milligrams a day and it's been 5 days and not one new pimple. I'm also taking zinc, and a probiotic multi vitamin. I am only taking 2 160 milligrams a day now. It also elevated my mood and energy levels although it made my heart beat rather quickly late at night if I took it too late. I cleared up the remaining acne with selsun blue aloe. I think it also may have had a fungal relation somehow because it dried all the zits up and helped ease the redness associated but it leaves your skin dry. Once the skin clears up I use selsun blue 2-3 times a week. Once it's all healed I will have to start with a retin a /aha exfoliant sometimes also just to help wit the red marks left behind.

Comments

Try it! Especially if you have hormonal acne

This stuff is great for preventing hormonal breakouts. It's usually marketed as a supplement for men and prostate health, but women can use it, too. I buy the standardized extract from walmart for around $7 and take 4 softgels a day, which comes out to 640mg a day, which I take all at once, at night. Start at a lower dosage to see how you react.

How long did it take for you to see results?
Hello! Do you take it on daily basis? Are you doing some breaks from it?

First impressions

Trying saw palmetto as a fix for long term, cystic acne. I have had this problem since my early teens, I am now in my late 20's. Have tried everything from over the counter stuff to antibiotics and even acutane. Acutane worked temporarily, but given the side effects, I'm not willing to go a second round. Stumbled one this page and decided to try saw palmetto. Using Webber's Naturals brand, and working my way up to 250mg dosage. Been taking it for just under a week, and while I am not acne free, I'm noticing that a lot of the deep, cystic pustules have started to shrink considerably, and seem to be coming to a head. This itches like crazy!!! Feel like ripping my face off! But the deep, large acne is painful in and of itself, so the itching is worth it if it nixes the problem. Have not noticed any new cystic pustules forming either. My one caution is take it slow starting. The pills I bought come at 125 mg, and that was enough to give me a stellar headache the first couple days.

Saw Palmetto and complementary supplements

I've battled acne for more than 20 years and until recently, the only treatment that worked for me at least partially was birth control pills, specifically, Yasmine. I could no longer stay on it, and after a few months, acne returned in full force, primarily the hormonal, cystic type around my mouth and chin. I did some research and also had my hormone levels checked. I concluded that my issue is DHT (dihydrotestosterone) conversion and sensitivity at the skin level. (By the way, no doctors have been of much help - mostly dismissing my concerns, writing prescriptions that could not address the root cause, etc. They also would not agree to run a hormone test, so I had to do that on my own.) I made several changes and incorporated supplements into my diet, and here are my findings. I hope this can be helpful, but since everyone is so different, it may take some investigation and experimentation to find out what works for you. There is science behind all of this, related to blood sugar levels, insulin sensitivity, and inhibiting production of DHT. None of this worked immediately. It may take weeks, so prepare for that, to see any positive results. In my case, my patience finally paid off after 6 - 8 weeks and I think I have finally turned the corner on clearing my hormonal acne. - I have restricted dairy from my diet, in particular, I no longer drink milk and have substituted almond milk - I have restricted sugary sweets from my diet - I have restricted certain starchy foods such as potatoes, bread, white rice - Saw Palmetto, this I think is the main performer: I take 320mg of standardized Saw Palmetto each evening. (The standardized part is very important.) It has some side effects, make sure to take it with food as it can upset the digestive system. It also makes me feel sleepy which is why I take it at night. The side effects should diminish over time. This supplement inhibits the conversion of testosterone to DHT. - Zinc (OptiZinc with Copper) : I take 30mg each evening with food. (OptiZinc is important because it contains a type of zinc that is highly absorbed by the body.) As with Saw Palmetto, it can be hard on the digestive system. Consider splitting a table and taking twice a day if you find it is causing problems to take it all at once). This supplement helps with inflammation, healing, inhibition of DHT, and increases the effectiveness of Saw Palmetto. - Pumpkin Seed Oil : 1000mg each morning. This works synergistically with the Saw Palmetto to inhibit the effects of androgen hormones. - Vitamin A : 10,000 IU each evening - Vitamin D3 : 1000 IU each evening - Topically, i am currently using Clearogen products. This line also addresses the DHT issue. My skin is no longer breaking out. The oiliness is reduced, but certainly not gone especially in the t-zone area. I think I can live with that.

Just curious about your thoughts on Chromium, MACA tablet, milk thistle, omega 3's. Just started taking vitamins (since i believe my problem is internal) I had blood work done today to test my male hormones. Thanks again!

Saw Palmetto and Implanon

I had the contraceptive Implanon implanted for about 1.5 years. It worked as a contraceptive, however it sneakily ruined my skin. Slowly I began to get spot after spot until a few months ago I had the worse break out of my life. I have never had more than a tiny blemish before and then found myself with cystic hormonal acne all over my chin, jawline, and forehead. I tried giving up dairy (I already ate primarily whole foods and absolutely no processed junk), exercising, different supplements, every OTC product, dermatologists, and just found myself terribly depressed. Finally I found out about Saw Palmetto. I knew the Implanon promoted androgen activity, and the night after taking a day's dose of Saw Palmetto I finally woke up without a new cycst. I take 160mg standard extract twice-morning and evening. I had been on Doxy and Saw P blew that right out of the water within a week. I have been taking Saw P for two weeks now and my last active pimple is finally healing. I also got my Implanon removed yesterday so I hope to finally get my clear skin back after healing my scars. I would recommend trying Saw Palmetto if you suspect your acne is related to your birth control being high in androgen activity. It really gave me back my confidence in my skin :) The only reason I gave it four stars is because I am only two weeks in, and I suggest using it with other topical products suggested by a Dermatologist. Saw Palmetto, in my opinion, helps on the inside, but you also need to pair it with topical help. I hope this helps someone else, I only wish I had found out about it sooner!

Really stuck on which brand Saw Palmetto to try

Hello guys, Ok I'm totally confused - literally feel like tearing my hair out (sorry for sounding really dramatic). I've been reading up on Saw Palmetto and PCOS acne. How there's a possibility that it can help to treat acne! I've been on antibitics for a good 4 years and now my next step is accutane! Honestly don't want to go down that route ;(. I was thinking of trying SP and after doing lots of research I found that GNC standardised SP 160mg twice a day seemed to work a lot for most people (so that's a total of 320mg per day). The problem is that in the UK GNC only stock 320mg! So now I'm thinking shall I take 320mg twice a day (so that's 640mg a day) or just take one 320mg a day? Will this decrease the affect. Ekkkk. Just don't know what to do. Please can someone advice me xx

I think it might be hard on your system to start taking 640mg of standardized saw palmetto without gradually working up to that amount and seeing how your body responds. Sometimes, less is more. I started with 160mg once per day, then twice per day. Finally, 320mg standardized SP in a liquid capsule once per night which has worked very well for me. Have you tried finding standardized SP 160mg on Amazon?
Hi Emme, thank you so much for getting back to me! It's very much appreciated :) That makes sense about what you said about getting your body to get use to SP gradually. I have seen a few standardised 160mg SP on Amazon but unsure on which brand is good?! It seems that certain brands are ineffective compared to other brands. GNC seems very popular but unfortunately in the UK they only stock 360mg SP standardised. What brand do you use if you don't mind me asking? Thanks xx

Helps acne, caused other issues

I had the same exact problems on saw palmetto as on spironolactone. Both cleared up my acne at exactly 8weeks. However I exams very dehydrated on both, both gave me sunken in eyes with very dark circles, both triggered overly dry skin and eczema, and also have me lots of burst blood vessels (but those healed fast luckily). I quit taking saw palmetto at the end of December and am becoming very oily now but I welcome it and just want my old acne back. wish I would never have taken spironolactone or saw palmetto. But especially saw palmetto because my skin had recovered from Spiro and the I decided to try saw palmetto once all the acne came back.

spiro is a diuretic! if you do not increase your intake of water yes you will def get dehydrated. "water pill" means its makes you pee more, so if you pee more without getting adequate water intake? dehydration .

Popular Vitamins/Supplements