Saw Palmetto reviews

3.9/5 - 41 reviews

Pretty great so far
Reviewed on July 16, 2017

I am a 23 yo female of Southeast Asian descent. I have had acne since I was 11, 12. But I had noticed more hormonally influenced "cystic acne" since I was 18+. I have used everything you can imagine from the dermatologist's office, except accutane (worried about side effects and all). Spironolactone worked well for me but it would cause me to have my menstrual cycle at least every 2 weeks. SO I switched to birth control, that was probably the worst mistake I have ever made. I was on Alesse for 2 years and I wanted to take myself off of it because it made me gain weight. I had a sudden burst of facial hair and acne came back with a revenge. I have also tried so many DIY treatments, turmeric, chaana dal paste, yogurt, rose water, anything and everything I can get my hands on.

Since then I researched a lot and my dermatologist recommended spironolactone again but I decided to go with saw palmetto 160 mg twice a day, along with zinc 50 mg, and Vit D3 1000 IU. It has been barely 2 weeks and have noticed a lot of improvement. I did go through an initial purge for a couple days but started to dry out thereafter. I noticed my face to be less oily and facial hair is also coming back definitely A LOT slower than prior to use. I truly recommend this for anyone who seems like they are running out of options and do not want to switch to accutane. Acne is really a struggle and it may seem like it is not a big deal. But no one really understands unless they are going through it themselves. Again, I have only been using for almost 2 weeks. But I really do like the results so far.

Continuing your acne regimen in addition to saw palmetto will help with process.

I rated it as 4 stars because of the initial purge and that this is not a cure, maybe I'm being too picky but I wish the acne would go away forever and be one less thing to stress about.

No help
Reviewed on June 26, 2017

I thought this would help. As an 18 year old male with hormonal acne I thought these supplements that are proven by some studies to block DHT from getting to your head (which makes your hair fall out and controls your sebaceous glands thus causing acne ) were truly going to work. Unfortunately as far as I could tell they made my acne worse for some reason, I stopped taking them.

Am I taking too much???
Reviewed on May 18, 2017

Hey guys, I have a question:

I'm currently taking 22 capsules of 160mg Saw Palmetto Extract a day. I take 10 in the morning, 2 at lunch, 10 at night.

I just recently went off Spironolactone and I found it helped me go off the Spiro with less of an impact on my acne.

I started with the recommended dose of 320mg per day (2 capsules a day) originally, but eventually I've increased it to the above amount, as i noticed i was getting cysts again and i wanted to stop them.

As far as im aware there are no side effects to taking a very high dose of Saw Palmetto. I asked my Naturopath if there is a recommended dose and he said their wasn't.

Since taking this high dosage I haven't had any new cysts. The only thing I've noticed is that my nipples are quite sore and tender and my breasts are larger.

Any advice is appreciated!! Thanks :)

amazing!
Reviewed on May 1, 2017

I have hormonal acne and would roughly have about 10 active spots on my face at one time (along with lots of scars) often in an irritated cluster.

I started taking saw palmetto about a month ago, two capsules twice a day with meals and the results are really really good.

It worked almost straight away, literally the next day i noticed that my skin was smoother, looked and felt less irritated and red. But the main thing was that from when i took it I had NO NEW SPOTS which is literally the dream. Like over the two weeks that i first took it i maybe had one or two new spots appearing in total but thats perfectly fine, i mean i used be getting 5 or 6 a day!

My scars have faded a lot and my skin looks nearly perfect! and it was soooo bad before....

I did also stop eating dairy at this time, start taking starflower and evening primrose oil twice a day and multivitamins and probiotics, but i did some experimenting to isolate the effect of the saw palmetto. For about 10 days i stopped taking it (because i ran out), but kept taking everything else and my skin went back to being oily, irritated and producing about 5 spots a day. I was really upset but then when i got some more and took it again, within ONE DAY there were no more spots at all!!!! I feel like a new person its honestly changed my life.

The best bit it how quickly it works, Ive taken various prescribed pills before from the doctor and had horrible experiences with dianette taking 6 months to work for me, and making my skin much worse before it started working and yasmin making me fat.... Saw Palmetto worked immediately did not make my skin worse first and had also made me feel less bloated and my body feel more like mine (bonus!)

I cant believe they dont offer this on the NHS or as a rule at whatever doctor or derm you go to! This should be everywhere its changed my life!!!!!!!

thoroughly recommend!!!

Note - I also put topical benzyl peroxide on my skin every night, and sudocrem to help the scarring and tea tree oil, and did full cleanse every day etc..... but ive been doing exactly that for years and seen no change... until i took saw palmetto.

Also note i have PCOS related acne so i dont know if that makes a difference in terms of it working for you or not.

I hope it works for everyone as well as it did for me!!! and if it doesnt, dont worry you will find something soon i promise, Ive been searching for years to only get lucky now

Did not work
Reviewed on November 26, 2016

I really wanted to like this! It made me lose weight which was nice but I also lost my period and its been 2 months without it which is concerning. I only took it for 2 months but I didnt want to risk screwing anything up since I wont have medical insurance for another few weeks. Didnt help with oiliness. i was taking 250mg twice a day with pygeum

Saw no difference
Reviewed on October 23, 2016

Oily, hormonal acne skin. I have taken it off and on for about eight months now and daily for two, and I am not sure if it helps my skin. It did not make a difference before I took vitex, but I'll take anything that helps regulate hormones.

Just over a week in...
Reviewed on May 2, 2016

I highly recommend taking saw palmetto and have 3 or more Nettle Teas a day! If you havent heard about Nettle Tea you should research. Its just been over a week and my skin is the best it has been- it could be down to the time of the month and im just going through a 'good phase' however i never am this clear i am sure. If your trying to treat your hormonal acne herbally then i have read many times its best to do 2 methods, which is why i have encourporated nettle tea!

Saw results within days!!!
Reviewed on April 24, 2016

Okay so I never had horrible acne but it wasn't low key either. my skin was just rough and bumpy and I got lots of white heads mostly on my cheeks and forehead and the odd big sore pimple. At that time of the month this would get like 10x worse. I had become so upset with my appearance that I just cried and cried and didn't want to go out anywhere, so my mum did some research and found Saw Palmetto. I thought I'd give it a shot and it was the best decision I've ever made! On just day 2 of taking Saw Palmetto my acne decreased dramatically, it was even that time of the month and my horrible breakout decreased to just 3 or 4 white heads. By day 6 (today) I have only 1 new pimple, my skin is so much smoother only a couple of small bumps on one cheek. I'm not saying everyone is going to have the same results as me or as quickly because I know for some people it took a month or more before they noticed an improvement. It also might depend on how bad your acne is, since mine wasn't major it seemed to work faster. I would definitely recommend this to any women out there who know their acne is hormonal and want to try a cheap, natural method to clearing their skin. I got one with 60 320mg softgels, and I take 1 per night. Feel free to comment any questions and I will be re-updating after 1 month to let you know how it's going for me.

by adelawright on 08/02/2016 12:31
Any update?
Stopped hormonal break out
Reviewed on March 7, 2016

Since I turned 23 I started getting deep inflamed pimples/cysts on my chin. Not always; in waves. Particularly around the time of the month or if I consumed too much cheese which is my favorite food. I am healthy the majority of the time with a good clean diet and lots and lots of water/tea. I got it under control with birth control but recently when I stopped drinking alcohol as much I broke out all over not just my chin but my cheeks. Deep pimples that developed in clusters. One would go away and another would arrive the next day leaving red marks whether or not I popped them. I started taking Saw Palmetto. Started with 3 160 milligrams a day and it's been 5 days and not one new pimple. I'm also taking zinc, and a probiotic multi vitamin. I am only taking 2 160 milligrams a day now. It also elevated my mood and energy levels although it made my heart beat rather quickly late at night if I took it too late. I cleared up the remaining acne with selsun blue aloe. I think it also may have had a fungal relation somehow because it dried all the zits up and helped ease the redness associated but it leaves your skin dry. Once the skin clears up I use selsun blue 2-3 times a week. Once it's all healed I will have to start with a retin a /aha exfoliant sometimes also just to help wit the red marks left behind.

Try it! Especially if you have hormonal acne
Reviewed on January 28, 2016

This stuff is great for preventing hormonal breakouts. It's usually marketed as a supplement for men and prostate health, but women can use it, too. I buy the standardized extract from walmart for around $7 and take 4 softgels a day, which comes out to 640mg a day, which I take all at once, at night. Start at a lower dosage to see how you react.

by kelly8076 on 02/02/2016 15:28
How long did it take for you to see results?
by Smetana on 08/11/2017 20:03
Hello! Do you take it on daily basis? Are you doing some breaks from it?