Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

There's been much debate over the tanning issue, although it seems to be doctors saying how bad it is, and people who actually have to deal with acne saying how great it is......

sorry doctors but even if something isn't that good for you, if you are safe about it and it works, we are going to do it!

Tanning really helped me last summer get through my bad body acne. I have acne all over my back and chest in random spots.... no where that a bikini covers!

Tanning dried out my skin (intentional) a bit which helped keep the acne down..... browned my skin (which acted as a full body make up or cover up)....... and helped reduce the redness of the acne that persisted.

I have pure IVORY WHITE PALE skin ("pasty vampire white") due to not going out in the sun much cuz of my skin, and only used tanning salon beds and did not overdo it in the sun.

If you go to a proper tanning salon, THEY WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU, and make SUREyou don't burn. They understand the frustration with acne and will accomidate you for when you are on medication for acne that makes you sensitive to light.

I was so pale I started going for only 5 minutes (DON'T USE THE "SUPER" OR "TURBO" BEDS!!!), in the regular beds and only ever went for a max of 30 mins a week. I ended up a great colour and all the other benefits I listed above. I also used a great lotion that smelled SO nice (rasberrytini or something) ;)

I recommend tanning to girls or guys, just find a place that knows what they are doing! Good luck all!

Please post your tanning stories here if you have them!

Jessy

I have used tanning as well. I too have fair skin and really do not want to burn. I used very little time (5-20min)and never really got a tan (which is okay). My skin improved as well as my eczema clearing up.

I agree with what you are saying 100%. Tanning is the only thing that has cleared up my body acne completely. For years I spent summers completely covered up and it has just been the last couple of years that I have been able to wear halter tops and bikinis, and it is all because I started going to the tanning salon. I also feel that it is important to go to a good salon ...the girls who work at the salon that I go to are very knowledgable and won't let you go in the beds for more than 10 minutes if you haven't been tanning in a long time, etc. And, like you said, you don't need to go every day to get the benefits... a couple of times a week in the spring and summer is all it takes for me.

Um, im a guy, really dont want 2 go 2 a tanning salon, i tan outside though, and its work decent, its masked the backne about 80%

Seriously tanning works like a charm. New Zealand gets the most potent UV rays in the world, due to the fact that its right below the ozone layer. I only have to be directly in the sun for like 10mins and i get an awesome tan which makes my acne dissapear!

Um, im a guy, really dont want 2 go 2 a tanning salon, i tan outside though, and its work decent, its masked the backne about 80%

i am a guy and go tanning about once a week for 20 min...it helps a lot. you would be suprised at how many/what types of guys go tanning.

The following are some of my posts from another post thread "Tanning: Not Working Out Like I Hoped!"

"UV rays from sun exposure kill off acne-causing bacteria, which is one reason why people may notice an improvement in acne after tanning, but not all the bacteria are killed. While the UV rays are killing the bacteria, they are also prematurely killing skin cells and permanently damaging the skin. As a defensive mechanism, the skin thickens. The increase in dead skin cells combined with thicker skin increases clogged pores by hindering the skin's natural sloughing off process. Meanwhile, the surviving bacteria are given a chance to recooperate and soon are thriving inside all the clogged pores; due to UV damage, the skin is less able to defend itself against these bacteria. Next thing you know, you have a major breakout.

As a side note, because UV rays damage the deeper layers of the skin they also damage pore function. This may be why some people seem to notice an excess in sebum.

There are safer ways to achieve a darker skintone such as self-tanning sprays and lotions. If you want to make sure the job's done right, go to a salon or spa; many offer this service. Also, some of these salons and spas offer a kind of "abdomen contouring," which involves the strategic application of spray-on-tanner to shadow and outline the abdominal area, thus creating the look of toned abs. Abdomen contouring is recommended for those that are not overweight."

"...Tanning most definately leads to premature aging, cataracts, cellulite, the surfacing of capillaries, and skin cancer. Many of the sun's negative effects can be seen before the age of thirty and sometimes even before the age of twenty. (LabGirl, who does not burn, had a skin cancer lesion removed in her early twenties, which left a scar.) Tanning is definately a bad idea.

To protect yourself, get a sunscreen with AT LEAST an SPF 15 and even higher for long-term sun exposure. Make sure your sunscreen is applied liberally; most people don't apply enough. Also, if you go swimming or are sweating a lot, it is typically recommended to reapply your sunscreen every two hours even if your sunscreen is water-resistant.

In case you didn't know, not all sunscreens adequately block against UVA rays, which are most likely to lead to the harmful side effects mentioned above. In the US, avobenzone (Parsol 1789), titanium dioxide, and zinc oxide are the only sunscreen ingredients that offer enough UVA protection. Outside the US, mexoryl sx is recognized to adequately protect against UVA rays. Avobenzone (and possibly mexoryl sx, but I'm not sure) is not likely to clog pores, unlike zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. I have heard rave reviews over Neutrogena's Dry Touch line.

FYI: I asked my parents what dermatologists did to help their patients with acne, and they told me that sunlamps were used to tan the skin. Then I asked them whether or not tanning worked, and they said yes, but they always broke out worse shortly after.

Even if tanning worked temporarily, why do you suppose dermatologists no longer recommend tanning or unprotected sun-exposure to treat acne?"

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

If you go to a proper tanning salon, THEY WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU, and make SUREyou don't burn.

The artificial UV radiation in tanning salon beds basically contains UVA rays. UVA rays are longer wavelengths of light that penetrate into the dermis. They cause cell dna destruction and destroy Collagen. UVB rays are what cause the physical burn (redness/peeling). You don't know if you're burning from overexposure to UVA rays.

They understand the frustration with acne and will accomidate you for when you are on medication for acne that makes you sensitive to light.

If they understood acne, or skin for that matter, they would turn all thier customers around and shut up shop.

i know its unhealthy, but i must side with the tanners on this one. you can't argue with results. you just CAN'T.

ya, this works i go outside everyday and work tobbaco for 6 hours so this is true cause my arms ar completely tan and my chest is going to get a tan in 2 days cause i am going to be outside all day with some freinds.