Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Green_Vegetable_Man

Use nothing on your face

I had a really visible blackhead near my eye and I just left it there and eventually I just picked it off because it was annoying me and not really much harm done didn't get a spot of anything it just picked off.

I had a really visible blackhead near my eye and I just left it there and eventually I just picked it off because it was annoying me and not really much harm done didn't get a spot of anything it just picked off.

PICKING CAUSES MILIA!

and milia - which excrete a thicker, worm like substance.

Milia. These 1- to 2-mm lesions can arise spontaneously or can be caused by SKIN trauma after picking.

MILIA (whiteheads)

Milia are deep seeded white bumps that form when skin cells and sebaceous matter become trapped rather than exfoliate naturally.

Milia can be also be caused by:

- Heavy Skin Care Products: The most common reason for milia is applying to your skin heavy skin care products not suited for your skin type or poor quality product.

milia (singular milium).

Sebaceous tubercle; whitehead; a small subepidermal keratin cyst, usually multiple, therefore commonly referred to in the plural.

Epidermoid cysts often arise from a ruptured pilosebaceous follicle associated with acne.

Picking causes these cysts and spoils skin texture with unformed sabacious cells.

Epidermoid cysts often arise from a ruptured pilosebaceous follicle associated with acne.

The cysts contain keratin and lipid, and the rancid odor often associated with these cysts relates to the relative fat content, bacterial infection, or decomposition. Spontaneous rupture discharges the soft, yellow keratin material into the dermis. A tremendous inflammatory response (foreign-body reaction) ensues, often producing a purulent material. Scarring makes removal more difficult.

my father has had blackheads on under his eyelids for about 5 years and they've have gotten so deep that he has to remove a layer of skin and then pick it out. so i think you're wrong, plus even if you're right who wants to wait that long if they could just take care of it in like a week?

my father has had blackheads on under his eyelids for about 5 years and they've have gotten so deep that he has to remove a layer of skin and then pick it out. so i think you're wrong, plus even if you're right who wants to wait that long if they could just take care of it in like a week?

In my experience, they don't.

Blackheads and dirt can be stored in the pores up to 30 years. I don't think anybody on this board want's to wait that long.

Blackheads and dirt can be stored in the pores up to 30 years. I don't think anybody on this board want's to wait that long.

Not true at all

Dirt does not get stored in pores.

Blackheads do dry out and exfoliate naturally.

Milia. These 1- to 2-mm lesions can arise spontaneously or can be caused by SKIN trauma after picking.

Yeah! you'll really regret it if you didn't picked it correctly cause it will become even more inflamed.. i've gone through those

Yeah! you'll really regret it if you didn't picked it correctly cause it will become even more inflamed.. i've gone through those

Picking is never correct.

The only solution is to leave your face alone and your skin will naturally improve.

i don't think your strategy is very helpful to people on this board. for many of us with blackhead problems, doing nothing makes the problem worse, as oily and combination skin types need to be treated and not just left alone, or more blackheads develop. if you have extremely dry skin that sloughs off easily, then go ahead and leave them alone if you want. but in my experience topicals DO help and so does exfoliating, as long as it's not super abrasive. helping acne get better requires some vigilance... picking is bad, but there are other ways to make it better... duh.

Not true at all

Sorry but i'm afraid it is very true. Skin does exfoliate naturally sure, but when you have deep blackheads it'll take oh about 20 or so years for it to peel that deep. You only peel a few microlayers of skin annually. It takes a very long time to peel up to a cm at that rate.

Not true at all

Sorry but i'm afraid it is very true. Skin does exfoliate naturally sure, but when you have deep blackheads it'll take oh about 20 or so years for it to peel that deep. You only peel a few microlayers of skin annually. It takes a very long time to peel up to a cm at that rate.

The dried head of the Blackhead is what makes it easy to come out. When this is dry a slight scratch and it comes out.

Your skin does not have to exfoliate deep.

That is crap.

In fact exfoliation works only on surface pushing out blackheads with forces at an angle to the skins surface.

When you have a warm shower some blackheads do not come out at 90 degree angle to the skin. When wiping or rubbing sometimes with the force of a towel or cloth they are pushed out along the surface of the skin.

Dried blackheads taper and narrow as you progress deeper within the skin.

In fact nature has designed the tapering shape of a dried blackhead to easily naturally exfoliate. :razz:

Some sunlight exposure and bathing/swimming in the sea with help even more with natural exfoliation :D

This is just insanity. Im gonna still use my BP and gently wash my face twice a day with Cetaphil...

BP will make you dependent upon it.

Look at the founder of this website.

He has to use BP everyday and is not a teenager any longer.

In fact he may be forced to use BP till he reaches 45 years of age. :shock:

Note: sarcasm

Yeah, I'm a BP junkie. Addicted to the stuff. If I don't get my daily fix, I go berserk. I've tried rehab, but I just go into withdrawl.

Note: sarcasm

Yeah, I'm a BP junkie. Addicted to the stuff. If I don't get my daily fix, I go berserk. I've tried rehab, but I just go into withdrawl.

You must have prematurely aged with BP on your skin.

Sad :eh:

You must have prematurely aged with BP on your skin.

Sad :eh:

Nope! Still young and beautiful!

Not for long.

Expect wrinkles, lines, even cancer from using BP after some years.

Benzoyl peroxide (BP) generates free radicals in the skin. Its effect is similar to unprotected sun exposure. The redness of the skin (erythema), caused by sun exposure and BP, is the result of free radicals (oxidative stress) upon the skin. Repeated sun exposure or BP use generates free radicals that damage the skin's structure and cellular DNA, resulting in premature aging of the skin. The extent of the damage and aging from BP is determined by the concentration of BP, the frequency of application and the duration of its use.

Because BP generates free radicals it interferes with and slows the healing process. The red and brown marks that are a part of the acne healing process may last weeks longer when BP is a regular part of the daily regimen.

BP has been linked to cancer for a number of years and many research journal entries state "benzoyl peroxide is a free radical-generating skin tumor promoting agent." Performing a word search of the words "benzoyl peroxide cancer" in PubMed in the National Library of Medicine produces 102 articles from medical publications dealing with research aspects of BP and cancer. About two-thirds of the research supports linkage between BP and skin cancer.

"In 1995 the FDA changed benzoyl peroxide from a Category I (safe) to a Category III (safety is uncertain) ingredient and stated this action (56 FR 37622) was based on new information that raised a safety concern regarding benzoyl peroxide as a tumor promoter in mice..." Additionally the FDA charged manufacturers with the responsibility of providing this information to consumers so they could make educated decisions. A more complete FDA statement is at the bottom of this page, for your reference.

Use of benzoyl peroxide to control or maintain the control of acne may involve side effects and risks that should be considered as you make decisions on acne treatment.

FDA / Benzoyl Peroxide Action: February 17, 1995

Food and Drug Administration (FDA) / Department of Health and Human Services

"Topical Drug Products Containing Benzoyl Peroxide: Required Labeling"

"The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is proposing additional labeling (warning and directions) for all topically-applied acne treatment drug products containing benzoyl peroxide. The warning advises consumers to avoid unnecessary sun exposure and to use a sunscreen when using a benzoyl peroxide product to treat acne..."

"The agency classified benzoyl peroxide from its previous status Category I to Category III status. This action (56 FR 37622) was based on new information that raised a safety concern regarding benzoyl peroxide as a tumor promoter in mice and a study that reported that benzoyl peroxide has tumor initiation potential."

"FDA evaluated these data and information and determined that the studies show that benzoyl peroxide is a skin tumor promoter in more than one strain of mice as well as in hamsters. To date, topical studies (which have shown only tumor promotion) have been of short duration (about 52 weeks). Although animal data and human epidemiology data are available, the agency has determined that further studies are necessary to adequately assess the tumorigenic potential of benzoyl peroxide. These studies are currently being conducted. The agency acknowledges that it may take several years for these studies to be completed and analyzed, and for the final determination to be made on benzoyl peroxide's safety."

When you remove a blackhead due to light exfolication you're not actually removing it. You're breaking off the tip of the head where it bulbs out. You're still leaving the majority of the blackhead inside your pore. As the dirt piles back on top you'll have the blackhead again within a few days.

No offense 'Melbournebloke' but I think i'll trust my medical education and dermatologist rather than some internet acne geek.

As for benzoyl peroxide causing cancer...

Everybody here has been urged to use sun screen as any half wit knows that when you use benzoyl peroide you're ripping up the old skin and surfacing newer and extremely sensitive skin. Sensitive skin is more prone to sun damage thus the urgency of sun screen. However there will always be a few oddities that ignore this fact and those are the people that get published in bogus articles like the one above. You'll also notice there isn't actually any evidence or facts supporting the cancer and bp claim in the above article.

No offense 'Melbournebloke' but I think i'll trust my medical education and dermatologist rather than some internet acne geek.

As for benzoyl peroxide causing cancer...

Everybody here has been urged to use sun screen as any half wit knows that when you use benzoyl peroide you're ripping up the old skin and surfacing newer and extremely sensitive skin. Sensitive skin is more prone to sun damage thus the urgency of sun screen. However there will always be a few oddities that ignore this fact and those are the people that get published in bogus articles like the one above. You'll also notice there isn't actually any evidence or facts supporting the cancer and bp claim in the above article.

Melbournebloke, do you even know what a free radical is? Well, I do.

These "cancer-causing" studies usually prove nothing. For example, the study used to "prove" that aspartame causes cancer injected mice with the equivalent of a human consuming over 50 gallons of diet coke per day. The study was never conducted in humans. If your body intakes absurd amounts of something, of course it will lead to cancer.

. As the dirt piles back on top you'll have the blackhead again within a few days.

The colour of a blackhead is not due to dirt pile on top of it. :naughty:

Go get some education. :doubt:

Melbournebloke, do you even know what a free radical is? Well, I do.

Ha,

You claim superior knowledge without even respecting that the other person's knowledge may be more than yours.

Secondly FDA has changed the status of Benzoyl peroxide for a stupid reason according to your logic because they are not as educated as yourself.

Sorry but I no longer need your wisdom.

You claim superior knowledge without even respecting that the other person's knowledge may be more than yours.

Secondly FDA has changed the status of Benzoyl peroxide for a stupid reason according to your logic because they are not as educated as yourself.

I am 100% CERTAIN that I am smarter than YOU, Melbournebloke.

I am 100% CERTAIN that I am smarter than YOU, Melbournebloke.

In your dreams :lol:

. As the dirt piles back on top you'll have the blackhead again within a few days.

Is this your complete argument? I thought you were trying to convince us that bp causes cancer and that we should all leave in fear of the cosmetic companies. Not entirely sure why you've bought the pigment colour of the condome into this topic but I do hope you're not denying that dirt and oil will revive the blackhead? shmelis did provide you with a lot of links in another topic, maybe you should try reading them.

You've exhausted all your avenues and now you're just audiencing your stupidty. Give me an argument where I can be bothered to present scienfitic facts and evidence.

Is this your complete argument? I thought you were trying to convince us that bp causes cancer and that we should all leave in fear of the cosmetic companies. Not entirely sure why you've bought the pigment colour of the condome into this topic but I do hope you're not denying that dirt and oil will revive the blackhead? shmelis did provide you with a lot of links in another topic, maybe you should try reading them.

You've exhausted all your avenues and now you're just audiencing your stupidty. Give me an argument where I can be bothered to present scienfitic facts and evidence.

shmelis is a immature person who just has an inflated ego and head and so are you :hand: