Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blackheads

Rosacea and Blackheads

Hello all,

I have mild acne that appears anywhere on my body including legs, chest, arms and face but what bothers me most of all is the Blackheads that cover my nose and the skin next to my nose.

Most the pores on my nose are blocked, some pores are very enlarged and some are inflamed. I have tried steam treatment to soften things up and then a metal instrument that is supposed to remove blackheads but they wont shift, tried Biore strips a few times but they dont work on me either, I have tried a few things and am nearly 40 years old now.

I already do most of what the acne.org checklist suggests (have been for years), wash 2 times a day, no soap but I use neutragena oil free face wash, no flanel, pat dry and moisturise twice daily.

What I have not tried is the 2.5% benzoyl peroxide gel or cream, do you think this would help get rid of my blackheads? I do have Rosacea, reddening around the nose and cheeks already, easy flushing. Is the BP cream suitable for my sensitive skin?

Editing to add that over the years I have had to spend thousands of £'s on laser treatment to help get rid of some of the broken veins and redness so i really want to avoid damaging my skin if possible.

i am currently working on the blackheads...if ur like me my nose has larg black heads and the tiny ones that are impossilbe to get rid of....the biore nose strips do work if u do it right...and if u have the right kind..are u using the biore ultra nose strips or the reg ones..use ultras...when u use then, use them rite after the shower. splash warm water on ur nose aand apply really quickly and take a towel and pat the strip down every where, not to hard but not to soft...and leave it for 20 25 min and pull it off as slowly as u can...very slow like extremly slow. these use to not work for me cus i did it wrong and pulled to fast. if u pull slow most of them will come.

also...i recommend using the blachkead elimating astringent. after u have washed ur face..apply this and leave it on. it will help.

the most important thing is to not pik and try to get them out.

Yes mostly my nose has the tiny blackheads, but there are many larger ones too, then a couple of those are permanently red and there are also lot of very large pores on and around my nose.

I have the Biore ultra deep cleansing strips, and I applied it after a warm shower and left it on for 25 minutes and pulled it off very very slowly, I could see some gunk on the strips but my nose lookes the same again now. These will not sort out my long standing problem apparently.

I am thinking of trying either the mandelic acid or synthetic brush exfoliation method.

I do have some Retin-A gel 0.01% that I apply to my shoulders every 2 nights but have always been frightened to use it on my face as I have sensitive skin that goes red easily, with some permanent red.

I don't recommend BP. It's a very weak comedolytic agent, and is likely to dry out your skin.

Retin A might work for you, but be very careful because of the rosacea ... if the redness or dryness become pronounced, stop. Also, it does not work for everyone's blackheads.

Besides the alcohol-free mandelic acid serum, another topical that could be quite effective is salicylic acid. Check out this website for a good BHA product:

Paula Begoun

I don't recommend BP. It's a very weak comedolytic agent, and is likely to dry out your skin.

Retin A might work for you, but be very careful because of the rosacea ... if the redness or dryness become pronounced, stop. Also, it does not work for everyone's blackheads.

Besides the alcohol-free mandelic acid serum, another topical that could be quite effective is salicylic acid. Check out this website for a good BHA product:

Paula Begoun

Right, I will forget about the BP.

I am getting a bit confused with the terms, is Salicylic acid a BHA? And Mandelic Acid is an AHA?

At the moment I use a face wash that contains salicylic acid but I dont think it is on the skin long enough to penetrate so maybe I should look for a moisturiser (to use after the Mandelic Acid serum) containing salicylic acid? It must be oil free as I break out with oil based products.

blachead alimanating astringent is salicylic based...you might also want to do jess foliation..i would give u a link but i dont know where the threads at.

I am getting a bit confused with the terms, is Salicylic acid a BHA? And Mandelic Acid is an AHA?

At the moment I use a face wash that contains salicylic acid but I dont think it is on the skin long enough to penetrate so maybe I should look for a moisturiser (to use after the Mandelic Acid serum) containing salicylic acid? It must be oil free as I break out with oil based products.

Yes ... SA is a BHA and mandelic is an AHA (but one with some BHA qualities).

Don't try to use both SA and mandelic at once. If mandelic doesn't work for you, THEN try SA.

I don't recommend astringents or toners ... too drying ... especially for rosacea.

Yes ... SA is a BHA and mandelic is an AHA (but one with some BHA qualities).

Don't try to use both SA and mandelic at once. If mandelic doesn't work for you, THEN try SA.

I don't recommend astringents or toners ... too drying ... especially for rosacea.

Yes I want to keep it as simple as possible without adding or taking away too many things at once.

I will try the alcohol free mandelic acid after washing.

Do you have any recomendations regarding a moisturiser? What it should or should not contain.

I currently use clean and clear dual action moisturiser (oil free). My nose is always greasy but sometimes my face gets dry even with the moisturiser. But at least it does not break me out.

Do you have any recomendations regarding a moisturiser? What it should or should not contain.

I currently use clean and clear dual action moisturiser (oil free). My nose is always greasy but sometimes my face gets dry even with the moisturiser. But at least it does not break me out.

It is best to use gel moisturizers, as these lack the pore-clogging waxy thickeners that other types of moisturizers can contain. If you want to add the anti-irritants and water-binding agents found in a moisturizer to your skin without actually applying a moisturizer, try an alcohol-free, well-formulated toner*. This can also be relocated into a good spray bottle for use on the face during the day (I can spray it over my makeup with no problems provided I let my face dry before touching it).

*I know Lion Queen advised against toners, and I generally agree since the majority of them are very irritating. However, there are some toners, like the one mentioned above, that lack irritants. A toner that contains a chemical exfoliant is not necessarily bad provided the other ingredients in it are not irritating and you are not applying any other chemical exfoliants to your face.

A good gel moisturizer is Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Moisture Gel, which can be bought here:

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/shop/product.a...C340&PAGETYPE=S

A good toner is Nivea Visage Moisturizing Toner, which can be bought at most drugstores.

NEVER steam the face to get rid of blackheads, as these can cause capillaries to surface (not good, especially if you have rosacea).

The Biore Pore Strips should not be used either as they are very irritating to the skin (pore strips are irritating by themselves, but the Biore version contains menthol, which adds to the irritation). In addition, they usually only remove part of the blackhead.

Also, something you have not mentioned is the use of sunscreen, which is vital to the skin, especially if you have rosacea. Synthetic sunscreens like avobenzone are less likely to clog pores than mineral sunscreens like titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, but unfortunately they can also cause irritation for some people (especially those with sensitive skin like rosacea sufferers), which can also lead to breakouts. Because of your rosacea I would reccommend a mineral sunscreen. Some very well-formulated oil-free titanium dioxide sunscreens are made by Clinique and can be bought on Clinique's official website or at most department stores. FYI: Did you know that sun damage can contribute to dry skin conditions?

In regards to your cleanser that you were using before, did you mean the Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash? I strongly reccommend NOT using this cleanser as it contains very irritating surfectants (which could be contributing to your dry skin). Although it does contain salicylic acid, salicylic acid cleansers are generally ineffective because cleansers almost always have too high of a pH (over 4) to allow the salicylic acid to exfoliate and are not left on the skin long enough to do much anyway. If you like the Neutrogena line, try the Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser.

Also, you mentioned that products containing oils break you out. Everyone is different; however, many oils are not likely to clog pores in most people. Animal oils (like lanolin) are the oils to watch out for because they resemble human sebum and can clog pores similarily to the way human sebum can. Mineral oil by itself cannot clog pores because its molecular structure is too large; regardless, this type of oil looks greasy and sits on the skin, "glueing" dead skin cells to the skin's surface, which is generally not the best thing for skin prone to clogged pores. Non-volatile plant oils are not likely to clog pores.

Check out this article here for more information on oils and pore-clogging ingredients:

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/article....EFER=SKIN&ID=21

Something to keep in mind:

Acne can take two weeks to form, so don't assume a new product is breaking you out if you break out the next day or within the next several days after trying it. A product can irritate the skin, though, which can trigger acne-like lesions.