Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PurpleShadow

~Spironolactone (Aldactone)~ side effects

My family dr. just prescribed me 25mg (1 in morning & 1 at night) of spiro (aldactone) last week and I've just started taking my first tablet this morning. I went online to research on some info about aldactone and found out that its side effects include deepening of voice and excessive hairiness...! (http://www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/rxdrugprofiles/drugs/ald1011.shtml) I'm a little bit worried after seeing this and am wondering if any body here has encountered these side effects while taking spiro?? Isn't it supposed to do the opposite (less hairy, etc) since testosterone levels are being controlled?

PS. do you guys eat just like before while on spiro or do you stay away food high in potassium?

Thanks in advance...!

I'd also like to know the answers to those Qs. I was recently prescribed Spiro as well. :)

Most multivitamins have such a small amount of potassium that it won't make a difference. I wouldn't eat bananas all day, but I really wouldn't worry about it. As long as you're not taking a straight-up potassium supplement or gorging yourself with bananas or something, you should be ok.

I always found it odd also about the side effects possibly being deepening of the voice and excess hair. This is very rare, as spironolactone is often used to TREAT conditions involving excess hair and male characteristics. I was on it for a year, and I never noticed any of that. In fact, I seemed to have less hair and my boobs got bigger.

I found myself going to the bathroom a lot. It can also be upsetting to the stomach, so it's important to take it with food. Finally, some people feel dizzy when taking it, but all of these effects don't even happen in the majority of people.