Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Veneficus

What does glycolic acid do? And other questions

Bear with me here folks.....

1)What does glycolic acid(GA) do?

2)Does it matter if it is an alpha-hydroxy-acid?

3) How does it differ from lactic acid?

4) Is the higher the % of strength best?

5) Can anyone recommend any decently priced, safe, non-comedogenic ones?

6) Websites I see describe some as "pads", yet it's in a bottle. What gives?

THANKS!

1. Glycolic acid removes layers of dead skin cells.

2. Glycolic acid is an alpha hydroxy acid. There are also other alpha hydroxy acids such as lactic acid.

3. Lactic acid is less irritating but also less effective and is more suited for sensitive skin.

4. If your skin can take it, then yes. The higher the %, the faster the results.

5. Alpha Hydrox products, Aqua Glycolic products, Neutrogena Healthy Skin Lotion and Ponds Age Defying Lotion. There are many more out there but these are all I can think of.

6. Maybe the pads are placed inside the bottle and you have to open it to get the pads.

5. Alpha Hydrox products, Aqua Glycolic products, Neutrogena Healthy Skin Lotion and Ponds Age Defying Lotion. There are many more out there but these are all I can think of.

Kareto,

I had a question about the Neutrogena Healthy Skin Lotion you mentioned above.

It doesn't state that it's a 10% GA solution like the Acne Cure regimen calls for and GA isn't its active ingreident, in fact, it's an inactive ingredient.

Is this appropriate to be using for the Acne Cure regimen?

GA has the ability to unclog pores, and also remove the dead layers of skin. The chemical struture of GA allows it to pass deeper into the skin than most other treatments, thus making it a superior addition to ones regimen.

3%-5% GA is considered a cleanser....8% and up is considered an exfoliater, the higher the concentration the stonger the "peel". If you are doing the "cure," anything stronger than 10% will not be viable, as you are using the GA on a daily bais.

Pads remove dirt and oils better than your hands. It actually comes in jars and inside the jars are pads saturated in whatever concentration you ordered. Good place is dermaskin.com.. 60 pads in a 10% = 14.00 dollars. They ship out fast, too.

About the Healthy skin lotion, I agree it does not say anywhere on the label about its concentration and GA is indeed inactive and must be active for it to work with the cure. Second its a lotion which doesn't make sense to use as a cleasner/exfoliater, third it contains other ingreidents and the acne cure says to use JUST GA alone not in conjuction with other crap. However I've read one or two post of people using it and I guess their getting results.

PS: The "acne cure," can't be rushed by using stronger strengths then recommended (2% SA, 2.5%-5% BP. and 8%-10% GA) using all these products are tought enough and to increase the dose would do nothing but aggrevate a senstive issue already...Good luck