Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Numbernine

Non -comedogenic make-up for men!

Hi i'm finding a non -comedogenic makeup for men. Something to cover up acne scars that are red and blend in well with the skin. Must i combine foundation and concealer to obtain the best results or just concealer will do the trick? I'm a NOOB at make up and this will be my first try out. Guys n gals out thr please give help me out here. PEACE. :cool:

Avoid makeups that are creamy or thick in appearance, since these usually contain waxy, pore-clogging ingredients. The makeup does not have to say "non-comedogenic" since that and similar terms have no regulations.

Some people find that broad spectrum sunscreen agents such as titanium dioxide and zinc oxide can clog pores, so in that case look for a foundation that contains avobenzone, the only other UVA protecting sunscreen ingredient found in the US (outside of the US there are others such as Mexoryl SX).

It is also a good idea to wear an SPF 15 or higher sunscreen with avobenzone or another above mentioned ingredient under a foundation that has broad spectrum sunscreen, and a must if your foundation does not have a broad spectrum sunscreen. If you opt for only wearing a foundation with a sunscreen rather than a sunscreen underneath your makeup, make sure it has an SPF 15 or higher and is applied liberally.

It is also reccommended to wear an SPF 15 or higher powder over your foundation for sunscreen touchups and to ensure you get enough sunscreen from your foundation (Remember an SPF 15 + an SPF 15 does not equal an SPF 30, rather, somewhere inbetween the two numbers). It would be very difficult to get enough sunscreen protection from an SPF 15 or higher powder by itself since usually not enough is applied.

It is important to wear a UVA/UVB protecting sunscreen always to prevent against skin cancer, premature aging, and a worsening of acne, but it is also important to wear a sunscreen to let post-inflammatory redness (which I think is what you are talking about, not real scarring, there's a difference) heal properly. Sun damage takes less than a minute to occur and is cumulative, so if you don't notice a tan or burn that doesn't mean the damage didn't happen and won't be visible later.

As far as finding a good makeup for men, I don't really see how men's makeup would be much different from women's makeup other than the advertising. If you're embarassed about going to a cosmetics counter, request makeup samples online to find a product that matches your skintone and has a good application. If a cosmetics company will not send you samples, check their returns policy and order only if 1) used cosmetics can be returned, 2) shipping can be refunded and 3) sale items can be returned (applying only if the item is on sale). Then, after you've found the perfect product, discreetly order it off the internet and have it shipped to your house.

You could also send a female friend or family member to a makeup counter who has a good eye for what works with your skin tone, and make sure she only purchases if return policy rules 1 and 3 are valid for that store or company.

Another thing in makeup you might want to avoid are fragrances. Fragrances are best avoided to begin with since they can cause irritation, but on a man they can seem too feminine. By the way, if a product is "fragrance free," make sure it really is. What I mean is, look for products free of "natural" fragrant extracts such lavender, rose, ylang ylang, citrus, and the like. Many "natural" fragrant extracts are also skin irritants.

The best way to tell if a makeup product matches your skintone is to apply it to your jawline and see how closely it matches your face and neck in NATURAL daylight. If it appears to dark, too light, too orange, too pink, or too yellow, don't buy it.

Obviously makeup that is sheer is going to look the most natural, and makeup that is full coverage is going to look the least natural. I prefer makeup with medium coverage; which, with a good appication, looks very natural.

To get the best makeup application, you MUST wash your face and exfoliate (chemical or manual) and moisturize where needed.

In my opinion, just wearing a concealer does not look as good as wearing foundation and concealer together, although some people can get away with it. If you find that wearing a concealer alone gives you great coverage but does not look natural, why not try wearing a sheer tint over it instead of foundation if you want to avoid a "heavy" feeling? The tint should help the concealer blend into your face better, but won't look cakey at all. Tints and foudations can be applied with the fingers, a foundation brush, or a makeup sponge, and should always be blended with a sponge anyway. Since you're new to applying makeup, you might have the easiest time using a foundation sponge (sold everywhere, just type in "makeup sponges" or "cosmetic sponges" on your search engine). Just smooth a bit of makeup over one side of it and dab it onto your face, gently smoothing it over to "blend" and remove excess makeup. It is best to apply foundation all over your face and jawline.

Concealer can be applied either over or under foundation. Concealer over foundation usually gives better coverage, but concealer under foundation can look more natural. Concealer is best applied with your fingers or a brush. Most concealers have special applicators. I never put these applicators on my face; instead I glob some onto my wrist and apply makeup with my index finger, smoothing it with my clean ring finger. Some people prefer using a concealer brush, though, but not me.

No matter what makeup you choose to wear, they last longer with a powder dusted on top, especially if your skin is oily. Look for a talc-based product free of corn or rice ingredients since these tend to encourage bacterial growth. I always use a brush to apply my powder, be the loose or pressed. A good cheap powder brush is Sonia Kashuk's Powder Brush, sold at Target.

A great, long-lasting, decent coverage concealer is Prescriptives Flawless Finish Concealer with SPF 25 at around $20. Unfortunately, this concealer can also clog pores since it contains isopropyl miristate, but is so good that it is worth a try.

Maybelline Everfresh is a good concealer and much cheaper. Plus, because of its more liquid consistancy (Prescriptives is much creamier), it is less likely to clog pores. The quality of coverage is not as good, but can be layered.

You might also like L'OREAL True Match Concealer, which is similar to Maybelline Everfresh but with more shades to choose from. However, if you are a W1 in L'OREAL True Match foundation like me, this concealer will be too dark for you.

You might enjoy the Origins Quick, Hide! Easy Blend Concealer (aproximately $12). The shades were too dark and too orange for me, but did give good coverage. It is creamier in consistancy than the L'OREAl and Maybelline, but still in a tube. A word of caution, though. This product's packaging is HORRIBLE. It is very messy and comes out without any squeezing. Plus, when the tube is almost empty, it tears and oozes out everywhere.

For foundation options, I reccommend L'OREAL True Match Super Blendable Makeup with SPF 17. It gives medium coverage and is in liquid form. Plus, the shade selection is HUGE. This products only drawbacks are that 1) it looks particularly bad over flaky skin (all makeup looks bad over flaky skin, but this one especially) and 2) it can crease into any lines on the face, meaning you MUST set this with powder to prevent it from slipping around.

I also like the Paula's Select Foundations from www.cosmeticscop.com and you can request samples. I found these to have great neutral shade selections (though not for African American skin), sheer-medium coverage, and truly fragrance free.

I must mention the option of mineral makeup, since it is becoming increasingly more popular. These tend to be sheer-medium in coverage and loaded with sparkly "brighteners." Also, many mineral makeup products are talc-free, using corn and rice products instead, which can be problematic as described below. They can be very quick and easy, though, which is part of their appeal.

Look for a talc-based product free of corn or rice ingredients since these tend to encourage bacterial growth. I always use a brush to apply my powder, be the loose or pressed. A good cheap powder brush is Sonia Kashuk's Powder Brush, sold at Target.

Paula's Select (www.cosmeticscop.com) has good powders, including those with SPF 15. Drugstore brands have many good powders, too.

To ensure a good makeup application, you must be able to see what you are doing. I reccommend getting a lighted makeup mirror, particularly Ott-Lite True Color 8x Magnification Mirror. It is not cheap, though, retailing at $200.00. I have seen it sold for $80 and even $60 online, however.

Hope that helped!