Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The_Snow_Queen

I don't understand why fair-skinned girls think they look "pasty" and unnattractive.

I have ultra-fair, yellow-toned porcelain skin to the point where I have difficulty finding makeup that is light enough for me. Interestingly enough, my hair is a dark reddish-brown and my eyes are a medium brown; colorings you would expect to find on someone with a darker complexion. Anyway, I embrace my fair skin and would never consider using a fake tanning product (except some salons offer a type of "abdomen countoring" which uses a spray-on tan to give the look of toned abs, and I admit that has tempted me :D ). I have gotten many compliments on my ivory complexion, especially when I wear an off-the-shoulder top to show it off. I consider my complexion to be unique and always wear sunscreen to keep it light, not to mention that wearing some sunscreens prevents against skin cancer and other complicatons. I find that I can wear almost any color as long as it is rich in shade and not pastel or "faded" in any way. Some of my favorite colors to wear are turquoise, aqua, violet, crimson, navy, teal, green, rosy pinks, and of course, black. However, I can understand wanting a tanned appearance (by means of fake tanning products and not the sun, of course) if you have really bad post-inflammatory redness or inflammatory acne since on fair skin acne tends to stand out like blood on snow, but otherwise I don't understand at all.

Hey ya I agree I almost pale to the point that I can't find make-up too. lol. I embrace it too, I;ve never had a fake tan nor do I sun bathe that much either. Yeah I have resisited fake tan for 20yrs now and I think I can do it for a bit longer but the force is strong.

Hey ya I agree I almost pale to the point that I can't find make-up too. lol. I embrace it too, I;ve never had a fake tan nor do I sun bathe that much either. Yeah I have resisited fake tan for 20yrs now and I think I can do it for a bit longer but the force is strong.

I am a little on the fair side.......I'm like W3 in L'Oreal true match, but even that is a bit too pink for me. My skin is so yellow. I actually have an olive complexion, but I'm fair like a light hispanic), and most makeups look totally unnatural on my complexion. My skin looks a little washed out in the dead of winter. I don't purpously tan, but get a little color in the sumer. I like having a little tan, but I don't want to risk any more photoaging than I've already accumulated........staying out of the sun is a good thing.........

Some people look great with pasty white skin. My roomate has black hair and big blue eyes and white skin. She looks funny with a tan. I'm blond so when my skin is really fair it looks washed out with my blondhair. I usually only see this happen to blondes with yellow skin. I've been toying around with the idea of dying my hair dark brown. It think it would go better with my complexion and my eye color, which is actually black (my pupils are never visible)...and looks funny with blond hair (yes it's natural.....helped, but natural).

Snow Queen, I have almost the same coloring as you-yellow toned fair skin, dark reddish brown hair, and dark brown eyes!

In my teens I used to like tan skin, but as I get older I realize pale skin is rather beautiful. I'd much rather have pale skin without wrinkles or skin cancer, and I refuse to do the fake bake thing-something about slathering chemicals on my skin to achieve a fake orange look just doesn't seem appealing to me.

While my skin is pretty fair, I never consider myself pasty. I keep healthy, use subtle make-up, and try to achieve a healthy natural glow. Steaming, exfoliating, and moisturizering can make your skin look very attractive, no matter what the shade.

I have ultra-fair, yellow-toned porcelain skin to the point where I have difficulty finding makeup that is light enough for me. Interestingly enough, my hair is a dark reddish-brown and my eyes are a medium brown; colorings you would expect to find on someone with a darker complexion. Anyway, I embrace my fair skin and would never consider using a fake tanning product (except some salons offer a type of "abdomen countoring" which uses a spray-on tan to give the look of toned abs, and I admit that has tempted me :D ). I have gotten many compliments on my ivory complexion, especially when I wear an off-the-shoulder top to show it off. I consider my complexion to be unique and always wear sunscreen to keep it light, not to mention that wearing some sunscreens prevents against skin cancer and other complicatons. I find that I can wear almost any color as long as it is rich in shade and not pastel or "faded" in any way. Some of my favorite colors to wear are turquoise, aqua, violet, crimson, navy, teal, green, rosy pinks, and of course, black. However, I can understand wanting a tanned appearance (by means of fake tanning products and not the sun, of course) if you have really bad post-inflammatory redness or inflammatory acne since on fair skin acne tends to stand out like blood on snow, but otherwise I don't understand at all.

I love my pale skin :D

Why do they think that? Societal pressure. Not so long ago, a light porcelain complexion was valued since only rich aristrocrats could afford to keep one since they didn't have to work outside in sun. Now tanned skin is valued for the same reason - it indicates the person has plenty of free time for outside amusements, or tanning beds - they aren't stuck inside tapping away in a cubical. I think that people like Nicole Kidman who appear at Hollywood events exposing very pale skin and appearing to age amazingly slowly may be turning this perception around.

I also note with amusement that people who live where it gets cold in the winter are much more attached to their summer tans than people who live in places where you can easily get sunburned in February.

I personally love my pale skin.

Im so pale I have to wear baby powder as make up powder over my foundation because there isnt one light enought for me.

I'm Latina with fair skin. I wish I had my dad's caramel olive complexion, instead I have my mom's. I think I look better with color. I hate being pale, I don't know. I can't say I embrace mine. lol.

Alot of ppl with fair skin look good with it, but me...i don't like it. I guess the key is to color your hair that goes with your complexion.

Amen and THANK YOU. We have similar coloring, it seems, and I enjoy mine. I get lots of compliments on my skintone and how it contrasts with my eyes/hair. My hair is deep red and my eyes and eyebrows are nearly black, so when I was younger I thought I looked really weird. People were always asking me if I dyed my hair. Now it has darkened up a bit and isn't so startling, LOL.

I don't have a hard time finding foundation/powder, but I do have a hard time finding a blush that looks natural on me. I wouldn't trade it, though, by tanning with chemicals, and I wouldn't even consider laying out in the sun.

To all the pale girls out there, I say rock on!

Liz

Im so pale I have to wear baby powder as make up powder over my foundation because there isnt one light enought for me.

Me too! I have ashy blonde hair, with very blue eyes and white, white skin. So I tried fake tan once and looked actually very orange and pretty stupid! Sometimes I get annoyed because my redmarks really show up unlike on tanned skin.

Personally, I think that it's all to do with time and trends, like in the early 1900's it was all about pale skin to the point of racial discrimination. Personally I strongly dislike it when people want a certain skin type to be appreciated. Everyone is different and I feel that people should love what colour they are naturally.

Well, I appreciate pale skin on other people (say, like Scarlett Johannsen), but that's because people w/nice pale skin just look white. I, on the other hand, am TRANSLUCENT, which means you can see all the veins in my legs/chest/neck/arms when I have no color. Not very cute.

Now, I agree w/BTDT in that it looks pretty ridiculous for those who live in wintery climates to still be tan. I've never been a year-round tan fan myself. And I don't mind myself being superwhite during that season, since I'm usually wearing sweaters/long-sleeved shirts and pants. Summer, however, (especially here in the Western US) is another story. It's in the 100s, and almost impossible to get away w/long sleeved anything, much less pants. Anyway, I get color during the summer, but nothing too insane. I'd be a liar if I said I didn't find it more flattering during the summer season to be a hue or two darker, if only to create the illusion of having skin that wasn't see-through.

Well I'm mixed race and have naturally tanned skin. And I love it. So.. yeah, I guess it's personal preference :shrug:

I love my yellowish pale skin as well. I have dark hazel eyes and black hair, so that makes it stand out even more. The only drawback is that it does not hide blemishes. I freckle easily (I don't have many, but when it's sunny I'll get some) and if I get a cut or a scratch the scar there is pretty much with me for life. My skin is just waiting to deposit as much pigment as it can. It's weird.

I think being pale is rather empowering. You stand out from the crowd of fake n' bake orange glows. I don't know why that look is so popular. It makes people appear like burnt turkies. I'd much rather look "ghostly" than tonight's dinner!

I totally adore Nicole Kidman and Scarlett Johansson, I think they look stunning and they will not have to deal with wrinkles or age spots as much as sun worshippers will. Women ask me all the time, what is my secret? Well. It's easy. I stay out of the sun!

"Well, I appreciate pale skin on other people (say, like Scarlett Johannsen), but that's because people w/nice pale skin just look white. I, on the other hand, am TRANSLUCENT, which means you can see all the veins in my legs/chest/neck/arms when I have no color. Not very cute." -Carrys

Actually, my skin is "translucent" as well, and like you, my blue veigns can be seen on my face, arms, legs, and I suspect elsewhere. Unlike you, this doesn't bother me so much, and no one else has seemed to notice. I think that veigns are often visible on many skintones, whether or not you're pale, but I could be wrong. It would seem like how visible a person's veigns are depends on how thick his or her skin is, but again, I could be wrong. But hey, saying you shouldn't use tanning products to acheive a darker skintone is like saying you shouldn't dye or highlight your hair (I'm guilty of highlights!), so go for it! I just think that fair skin is beautiful and should be thought of as beautiful more often. Oh, and I apologize for the weird formatting for the quote, by the way; I'm using an oooold computer this week from like 1994 (I'm lucky to have windows '98 and the internet at all!) and can't do certain things on the internet such as a direct reply to a post.

"Well, I appreciate pale skin on other people (say, like Scarlett Johannsen), but that's because people w/nice pale skin just look white. I, on the other hand, am TRANSLUCENT, which means you can see all the veins in my legs/chest/neck/arms when I have no color. Not very cute." -Carrys

Actually, my skin is "translucent" as well, and like you, my blue veigns can be seen on my face, arms, legs, and I suspect elsewhere. Unlike you, this doesn't bother me so much, and no one else has seemed to notice. I think that veigns are often visible on many skintones, whether or not you're pale, but I could be wrong. It would seem like how visible a person's veigns are depends on how thick his or her skin is, but again, I could be wrong. But hey, saying you shouldn't use tanning products to acheive a darker skintone is like saying you shouldn't dye or highlight your hair (I'm guilty of highlights!), so go for it! I just think that fair skin is beautiful and should be thought of as beautiful more often. Oh, and I apologize for the weird formatting for the quote, by the way; I'm using an oooold computer this week from like 1994 (I'm lucky to have windows '98 and the internet at all!) and can't do certain things on the internet such as a direct reply to a post.

I guess I should have included that I also have Raynaud's Phenomenon, where my hands and feet turn purple in cold/during periods of inactivity. SO, a little color actually helps to camoflauge this little weird condition. Honestly, my feet look like their attached to a dead person sometimes when I'm sitting in class/waiting rooms. I've had people point it out to me before when I'm super pale, so it does cause a bit of self-conciousness for me.

ANyway, yeah, I think if I didn't have that ON TOP of see-through skin, I'd probably not be so concerned about it. I've seen tons of women who shun any type of sun/sunless tanning, and they still look great in bathing suits/shorts/skirts. (But, they don't have purple hands/feet, either!) I totally envy them! As for me--and I'm seriously not exaggerating--I seriously look ill/dead if I'm pale in the summertime.

Actually it's somewhat of a trend now to be pasty. All the stars who are very pale get praised (e.g. gwyneth paltrow, gwen stefani, dita von teese, etc.). Also, a lot of girls are proud of being pale etc. I personally feel better when I'm tan, as does my sister. It's just personal preference really. I think the pressure to be tan is far less now than ever though.

only soem ppl look good pale depends on the skin toen .. some ppl like myself look awful pale .. bc of the dark cirlces .. and idk i jsus find it unatteractive personally .. i like tanned skin but not over done tan a light tan is always attractive.

I used to have extremely pale skin, I was like a ghost. But I gave in to sunbeds and St Tropez and now I'm really rather tanned! And I think a tan suits me much better then being so pale :D

I love having pale skin!!! I get a very light tan in the summer, but that's it! I love the fact that I have really dark hair, light skin, and blue eyes! My mom tells me stories all the time about her great aunt that used to walk around wearing big hats and gloves when out in the sun. It's dangerous to spend too much time out in the sun! My mother had skin cancer, I have to be extra careful!

My skin is very fair, flourescent lighting will give me a 'sunburn', and with SPF 50, two hours by the water gives me third degree burns.

I love my fair skin, and I think unnatural tanning looks absolutely disgusting. I am blonde with blue eyes, and 3/4 of my heritage is nordic, and I love being a "fair maiden". I wouldn't change it for the world.

I am very pale, and gave in to the range of fake tans out there. I never go brown in the sun, I just burn and then go white again. Even sun beds didn't form a tan on me! And so I thought pale was unattractive and started applying fake tan. It looked a bit yellow and orange as I find it hard to get a decent colour, and it did look unnatural, and to be honest sometimes I felt self conscious.

After reading all your posts about being happy to be pale, I am going to throw out my fake tan and embrace my natural skin colour!!! I have almost black hair and dark eyes, so it will be a bit of a contrast, but at least I won't look yellow and streaky and won't waste any more money or time applying it every night!!!

Yay for pale people!!! :D