Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JaE90

Suggest A Moisturizer

Thought I'd throw in my suggestion on moisturizer.

Some context might be helpful first...

I am a 45 yr old female. Had acne since age 12. Dan's Regimen has been wonderful. I was doing great on doxycycline for about 2 yrs, then it lost effectiveness. Was doing fabulous, clearest skin ever on Dan's plan. Then I moved from Sacramento to Park City, Utah, at 7,000 feet above sea level. Aged 15 yrs in a week--dry, dry, dry!!! (Once the hygrometer said the indodor relative humidity was 2— two— %!!) Suddenly "combination skin" became a Reality! I had to opt for serious moisturizers to keep going with the benzoyl peroxide. And, I added Differin, not so much for acne as for the brand new wrinkles that emerged out of nowhere in the dryness. My new regimen became: BP (DK's) in the morning, with heavy moisturizers and SPF, Differin at night, with moisturizers and anti-aging therapies. If my skin isn't moist enough, any new blemishes last for weeks because of slower healing.

The moisturizers I use are: Atopalm MLE and L'Occitane Ultra Moisturizing Care, SPF 15 (8% Shea butter). I have used Aveeno Ultra Calming when out of one of the others, cuz it's easier to get. Can't say I like the texture or odor of the Aveeno, though. The L'Occitane is probably too thick and sticky for most acne.org readers. I would recommend, however, the Atopalm MLE. It mimics the skin's natural protective layer and soothes inflammation. It is lightweight, too. Probably too expensive for many, alas, and you probably have to mail order it. I've never seen it in a store.

Another interesting note (to me, anyway... :rolleyes: ): for cleansing I use DHC's (a Japanese mail order skin care company) Deep Cleansing Oil. It is mostly highly purified olive oil. Sounds awful, but it's wonderful. You put it on dry skin with dry hands then wash off. It washes completely clear. It dries the skin not at all and is very soothing. If I need soap, I use DHC's "Mild Soap," very nice and very gentle.

I'm a physician, but surely not a dermatologist! These are just my personal thoughts. YMMV! ;)

I have not gotten through this whole thread but I wanted to know what other moisturizers are good beside Cetaphil and Lac-Hydrin Five. I used them but they are a bit greasy and leave my face oily (oily t-zone). I dont know if this is a common thing thats suppose to happen, but is there something better?

I like using Kiss My Face Peaches and Creams but it has alot of oil ingredients and I hear its Comedogenic because it contains Isopropyl Palmitate.

I have tryd other main stream mousturizers like Olay complete but they did not work so well.

Any Suggestions?

You might try Moisturel.

You can also thin out the other moisturizers and try them that way. Wash your hands and while they are still wet put 2 pea-sized blobs of moisturizer into your hand, then rub both palms together to mix it around and then apply it to your face that way. This works very well to thin out moisturizers that may be a bit thick.

I just bought (by accident) Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Moisturizer w/SPF-15, it's just like the Ultra-Calming, just a different line of product (the Ultra-Calming line is for very sensitive skin, this Positively Radiant claims to even out tone & texture). Unless someone tells me that it's a piece of crap, I'm going to try it out and see how it works.

Can't go wrong with Aveeno...

I just did the same thing! :confused: Got the Aveeno Positively Radiant by accident! Did it work for you? I hope it did, if so I'll try mine out too!

Any news on when Dan Kern's moisturizer will be coming out or what the progress on that project is? This whole search for a new moisturizer thing seems so hit-or-miss

I have not read through all the pages on this post, but wanted to put in my 2 cents. I used to spend alot of time jotting down people's experiences with various moisturizers and then I'd go to the store to price them. About 3 weeks ago I decided to give CeraVe a try and I love it. It is very smooth, goes on easily, and doesn't leave the shiny residue like Cetaphil. I still use Cetaphil at night for that extra strength hydration that I feel it is best at. By the way, I have very sensitive skin and have had no reaction at all to the CeraVe.

Ok, so today I'm going out to CVS to buy some Complex 15. Yesterday I went to Sam's Club and bought this huge thing of Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream - for dry & sensitive skin.

OH MY GOD.

The best and most painfully accurate way I can describe it, was I felt like I was rubbing solidified french fry grease onto my face. Mind you, I was not *gobbing* it on, in fact I was going easy as I didn't know how it would apply.

What the bloody heck was everyone raving about this product for. The *only* time I will ever consider using this (as it is non-returnable once opened) is at nighttime for an overnight treatment. It did not aggriavte my skin, or burn/sting. Also, lack of fragrance is good for me. That's about the only plus. Seriously, I woke up this morning, took my index finger, ran it down the length of my nose, and I could have added some red dye to the residue and started finger painting!!

Anyways, I myself truly appreciate HONEST reviews. So there it is, and when I pick up my Complex 15, I will post about that.

I want to add in this thread that I use in the mornings Olay Original Hydrating Beauty Fluid. The stuff has been around forever (my grandmas used it for God knows how long). Its a light moisturizer (for those with oily skin like myself) and it never breaks me out.. it makes me look dewy and healthy. If I have any flakes, I just add a little jojoba to that area.

I bought some Complex 15 last night from CVS. Wow, even after using it just twice (last night and this morning), I am definitely sticking with this one.

What a difference from Cetaphil, really the two can't be compared. This cream (even though IMO it's not really cream consistancy) absorbs beautifully into the skin. There is no fragrance, no stinging or burning, no oily/greasy residue. It is probably as plain as plain can be. But that's a good thing for sensitive and acne prone skin. All the "extras" the expensive creams put in can mess with things.

I paid I think $6.50, very affordable. It's a tube that comes in a little box. Only downside is it's not as big as some other moisturizers. Especially the ones that people use in tub form would last a lot longer. But for me anyways, I used probably about 3 pea-sized squirts for my whole face and upper neck.

So I hope this helps someone!

*FYI: I don't think it has SPF, but my makeup foundation has it so I'm still covered.

I bought some Complex 15 last night from CVS. Wow, even after using it just twice (last night and this morning), I am definitely sticking with this one.

What a difference from Cetaphil, really the two can't be compared. This cream (even though IMO it's not really cream consistancy) absorbs beautifully into the skin. There is no fragrance, no stinging or burning, no oily/greasy residue. It is probably as plain as plain can be. But that's a good thing for sensitive and acne prone skin. All the "extras" the expensive creams put in can mess with things.

I paid I think $6.50, very affordable. It's a tube that comes in a little box. Only downside is it's not as big as some other moisturizers. Especially the ones that people use in tub form would last a lot longer. But for me anyways, I used probably about 3 pea-sized squirts for my whole face and upper neck.

So I hope this helps someone!

*FYI: I don't think it has SPF, but my makeup foundation has it so I'm still covered.

Yeah I got some Complex 15 from CVS yesterday too. Also picked up a bottle of Lac-Hydrin Five. Used the Lac-Hydrin 5 last night and this morning since I didnt have to go out today. Got the lac-hydrin to combat the red marks, going to use the complex 15 in the morning when i have to go to work during the day.

I had been using cetaphil, like you said its very greasy. left my face very shinny. the final straw forcing me to go out and by something else to replace the cetaphil was someone at work commenting that my skin looked oily. yuck.

fingers crossed on this complex 15, hopefully its what ive been looking for...

Hi Guys and Gals

I've totally cleared my skin on the Benzoyl Peroxide DK Regime, all be it i've never really found a moisturiser that can deal with the full on drying effects induced by the BP 2.5%. I've tried the Neutrogena Sensitive Skin, which worked for a while before the drying effect returned with more in the way of flaking. It almost seemed as if the moisturiser had adpated to my skin profile and stopped working with the BP.

My question to any UK residences on the board? Do any of you know of any moisturisers that are working for you and or maybe effective for mild flaking and slight inflamation whilst on the DK BP 2.5% Regime. If everyone from the UK that reads this could give me a run-down on the moisturiser they're using from the UK, then that'll be brilliant.

Cheers guys. :dance:

I use Neutregena Advanced Solutions Sun Day Moisturizer mixed with jojoba and it is the best. It has helped my red marks soo much almost over night at first because it contains Zinc oxide (the magic ingredient in sudocrem) and is really light and makes my skin tone really evened out.

Don't pay £150

Check out these guys. Same product but more than half price.

Click here now: Medisana Medibeam

http://www.rebelio.co.uk/app/urwfilter/cat...Gray/index.html

Acne Light Therapy

(As seen on UK TV - This Morning, Recomended by Doctor!!)

Normally treated with medication, a revolutionary new device has been clinically proven to treat all types of acne in children and adults.

Description

Medibeam is a hand held device which uses light therapy (Phototherapy) to treat acne. It emits a low power red light, which does not emit heat and does not hurt or burn the skin. Phototherapy, the use of light for healing, has been a field of vigorous research for over 40 years. During the last few years, accelerated research by NASA has confirmed phototherapy as an effective treatment across a range of conditions. Phototherapy activates cell metabolism and supports cell regeneration. Acne is caused by hormones overstimulating glands in the skin, leading to blocked pores and infection. Phototherapy has been clinically proven to reduce the bacteria which cause infection and stimulate the natural repair mechanism of the skin.

Medibeam can be used on any area where acne occurs and is simply placed against the area you wish to treat. Recommended treatment is 1-2 times a day, 6 minutes on each area. The device is lightweight and portable and can be used anytime, anywhere.

Medibeam can be used safely alongside topical and oral acne medication and has no clinical side effects.It has been awarded the CE mark for the treatment of acne. The CE mark ensures a product meets all the essential requirements of European health, safety and environmental legislation.

A clinical study conducted by Dr Earon Gideon at the Dermatology clinic, Dana Medical Centre, clearly demonstrated the effect of Medibeam. Patients in the study all suffered from Acne Vulgaris with comedones and pustules on the face and a feeling of inflammation. After 6 weeks of treatment the following results were recorded:

20% complete recovery

50% almost complete recovery

20% considerable improvement

Think u have found a good moisturizer?

Post it here with details!

And, take a look at other moisturizers suggested

so we can comment and find some good ones..

I think i might have found two good ones that may be overlooked by most people...

Eucerin Q10 Sensitive Skin Lotion w/ Spf 15

4 Oz. with Spf 15, It says it reduces wrinkles and fine lines just like Alpha Hydrox lotions say, so i'd imagine it gets rid of red marks with its "Coenzyme Q10"... These quotes from Walgreens.. "Firms and moisturizes for softer, smoother skin." , "Is fragrance-free, non-comedogenic and will not irritate dry, sensitive skin."

Aveeno Ultra Calming Lotion w/ Spf 15

4 Oz. with Spf 15, Oil free, Noncomdeogenic, etc. "It's clinically proven to visibly reduce redness and soothe irritation", "This lightly fragranced moisturizer is hypoallergenic and dermatologist-tested, so it's gentle enough for even hypersensitive skin.", "light, fast-absorbing lotion " too much more good stuff just look at the link.

Hi Guys and Gals

I've totally cleared my skin on the Benzoyl Peroxide DK Regime, all be it i've never really found a moisturiser that can deal with the full on drying effects induced by the BP 2.5%. I've tried the Neutrogena Sensitive Skin, which worked for a while before the drying effect returned with more in the way of flaking. It almost seemed as if the moisturiser had adpated to my skin profile and stopped working with the BP.

My question to any UK residences on the board? Do any of you know of any moisturisers that are working for you and or maybe effective for mild flaking and slight inflamation whilst on the DK BP 2.5% Regime. If everyone from the UK that reads this could give me a run-down on the moisturiser they're using from the UK, then that'll be brilliant.

Cheers guys. :dance:

Many UKers love Eucerin Dry Skin Relief Face Cream with 5% Urea.

Long name but most people just love it!

Complex 15 Lotion is in a league of it's own, amazing product. I remember this lotion 10 years ago when it came in a brown plastic bottle and you had to ask the pharmacist for it (they used it for making prescription compound mixtures) Now it's side by side with all the other lotions (in a nicer looking bottle) but it's the only one I'll ever buy. I don't use benzoyl peroxide ( I'm allergic to it) so I don't know if Complex 15 lotion is strong enough to combat BP dryness. For members who can't get Complex 15 lotion in your country you should see your chemist or pharmacist for products they use to make prescription compound lotions. That's how I found Complex 15 so long ago.

Can anyone recommend a moisturizer that doesn't turn your face into a shiny beacon? I'm using Cetaphil right now and my face looks greasier than teenager flipping burgers. Do all moisturizers do this, or should I put on something after to reduce the shine?

Very impressed with this moisturizer....hope to see others enjoy it too. Called "Nivea Soft" w/Jojoba Oil & Vit. E. $5.99 at Rite Aid for 6.8 oz.....a months worth for me! Woo Hoo!!! I have $100 worth of others I've thrown away. Most only used a few times. It's whipped so it's very soft to apply. Been using for nearly a month and can't say enough about it. I also mix 4 drops of Jojoba Oil. Has no SPF. When applying the moist., I'm VERY careful not to mix it in with the BP I already have on my face....otherwise my cheeks are red and ruined for the rest of the day. I'm also just as concerned with the "shine" as many of you are.....this ones not too bad. It takes about an hour to soak in. Also, If you're not using Dan's BP.....you're missing out. It's AMAZING compared to the alternative.

Can anyone recommend a moisturizer that doesn't turn your face into a shiny beacon? I'm using Cetaphil right now and my face looks greasier than teenager flipping burgers. Do all moisturizers do this, or should I put on something after to reduce the shine?

I've found Complex 15 to be very matte for such an effective moisturizer, no shine at all once it absorbs.

What mosituriser would peole say is best who help with dry flaky skin but also really helps fade out red marks? Would prefer a product thats available in the UK but if not something thats possible to order over the internet.

What mosituriser would peole say is best who help with dry flaky skin but also really helps fade out red marks? Would prefer a product thats available in the UK but if not something thats possible to order over the internet.

Eucerin Dry Skin Relief Face Cream with 5% Urea.

Eucerin Dry Skin Relief Face Cream with 5% Urea.

How well does it do against red marks and how long would you say approximately it will start to take affect?

Im currently using Neutrogena Oil-free w/ SPF 15

i have no idea why but it burns my face when i apply it

but i dont really have problem afterwards... just a little redness

and at night, i use Healthy Skin Face Lotion Night formula

few days ago, i used Healthy Skin Face Lotion w/ SPF 15 and it was great

i stopped using it just because AHA makes my skin real sensitive to sunlight

and i get a fairly good amount of sunlight during the day so...