Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

But seeing as that is why we are all here, I am going to do so.

I have had mild acne since 16. I am now 23 and still suffer. I have been on anti-biotics since my acne first flaired up. I have tried to come off the tablets at various time but my skin always got worse.

I have tried every product under the sun and recently decided to take an alternative approach.

I have always been into healthy eating, taking vitamins e.t.c but a few weeks back I read up on the benefits of taking Vitamin B5, otherwise known as Pantothenic Acid:

The Thesis:

Acne is the result of blockages deep in the skin's sebaceous glands, or sweat pores. It is known that the sebum secreted from the sebaceous glands of acne sufferers is excessively sticky; this stickiness impairs its secretion from the body and the resulting build up of pressure and bacteria causes spots and blackheads. The overly sticky sebum is due to the body's inability to fully metabolise proteins in the blood; that is, fats and sugars. This reduced ability is caused by the inefficient use of an important enzyme: Co-EnzymeA. Co-EnzymeA, or simply CoA is created in the body from adenosine triphosphate, cysteine, and vitamin B5. Tests have shown that increased intake of vitamin B5 dramatically improves or eradicates acne in the vast majority of cases.

So I have decided to give it a go, as nothing else has really worked for me. I have recently been suffering from slight acne on my back and chest although it really is very mild.

I have been taking the B5 for just over one week...

IPB Image

I have read that I will need to take the B5 for about 3 months before any major improvements in my skin take place but (touch wood) I have to say that since taking the B5 although I have had little outbreaks I have not had any huge red spots that I used to get once or twice a week... As the weeks go on, I will update people on my progress.

End of the second week and I have had a few outbreaks, sadly. Though I must confess to noticing the greasiness of my skin reducing.

I've been advised that it can take between 1-3 months of taking the Vitamin B5 before my skin will begin to clear and until then it is normal to have breakouts during the first couple of months as the pores are blocked and have to clear.

(B5 works by thinning the oils secreted through the skin; this can activate dormant blockages.)

So this is me today:

IPB Image

On to week three!

Very nice! I wish I had your problems, haha! It looks like no scars, so congrats! Good luck with the b5...

Very nice! I wish I had your problems, haha! It looks like no scars, so congrats! Good luck with the b5...

Thank you, I know my skin ain't as bad as some peoples but I still have 'issues' and a real complex about it. Anyway, I'm sticking with the B5 for a while and hopefully, if I see some positive results it can help other people too.