Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dogsncats

Paleolithic diet worked for me too!

I know people have posted info on the paleolithic diet, but I wanted to repost the topic because it works so well for me.

The paleolithic diet is generally a low carb diet. According to the theory, grains, dairy and legumes are foods newer to our species and tend to cause problems. I tried the diet many times, but kept failing due to having little energy. I wasn't eating enough carbs, but my skin would always improve so I knew I was on the right track. I read that tubers (potatoes, jicama, sweet potatoes, etc.) are considered okay on the paleolithic plan, but only in moderation. Some paleo experts ban tubers as well. I started eating potatoes and my energy returned, but I didn't get any acne. Even high glycemic root vegetables like russet potatoes cause no problem with my skin.

I found that beef gives me acne. This is the only 'paleo food' that gives me acne, but you could argue that domesticed cows aren't exactly what our forefathers killed and feasted on. I actually don't eat or like much animal protein and get most of my calories from tubers. There are even some researchers who believed that tubers are responsible for the large brain size of homo sapiens. I eat small amounts of fruits, vegetables, and animal protein. The bulk of my calories come from tubers.

Having no signs of a hormonal disorder, I believe my over active immune system is responsible for my acne. It seems like I was having allergy like reactions to many 'new' foods. Dairy gives me moderate acne. Beef gives me cysts. All grains give me tiny itchy bumps of a non inflammatory variety. Beans are altogether bad for me as well, giving me both gas and inflammation on my skin. Excess fruit and sugar give me candida like symptoms and flat red rashes. Finding the paleo diet was great, because following most of the 'rules' is simple and I don't have to go out and buy a bunch of supplements. Not to mention my skin is normal.

Even organic beef?

Yes, all beef gives me cystic acne. I tried all sorts of things before completely giving up on these foods. I tried organic raw milk cheese and gluten free breads, but eventually I just had to accept that my immune system hates all non-paleo foods including beef.

Cool, I sort of adhere to the Paleo Diet for athletes. I just eat a small amount of Oats and for energy since I am an athlete. It's interesting, I feel a lot better when I keep my carbs to low-medium range and up my fat and protein intake.

WHen I was eating a lot carbs, I felt exhausted all the time. My resolution? Eat more carbs so I won't be tired, but I think it just put my energy levels on a rollorcoaster. Glad this works for you.

The Paleo diet interests me, though it does have it's pros and cons. I don't know if I know what 'tubers' are...? What are the staples of your diet?

I think meat gives me cysts too, when I was on my strictest stage of candida diet I would eat meat 5 times a week in one form or another and I had a cyst problem then, now I eat meat much more occassionally and have no cyst problem. But there could be a hundred other reasons as to why that's so, meat may not be the culprit.

Do you find that fermented dairy like yogurt breaks you out? And sprouted grains like Ezekiel bread, etc?

P.S. On the topic of carbs, I definitely agree that they're best left to athletes. I remember reading that high carb diet can give you oily skin, and I think I've noticed it's true for me too if I eat a lot of carbs like hot cereals for breakfast + bread and stuff, and then don't get my exercise...

The Paleo diet interests me, though it does have it's pros and cons. I don't know if I know what 'tubers' are...? What are the staples of your diet?

I think meat gives me cysts too, when I was on my strictest stage of candida diet I would eat meat 5 times a week in one form or another and I had a cyst problem then, now I eat meat much more occassionally and have no cyst problem. But there could be a hundred other reasons as to why that's so, meat may not be the culprit.

Do you find that fermented dairy like yogurt breaks you out? And sprouted grains like Ezekiel bread, etc?

P.S. On the topic of carbs, I definitely agree that they're best left to athletes. I remember reading that high carb diet can give you oily skin, and I think I've noticed it's true for me too if I eat a lot of carbs like hot cereals for breakfast + bread and stuff, and then don't get my exercise...

Yes, all yogurt and sprouted grain breads don't agree with me. I've completely eliminated them and don't miss them.

Tubers are just root vegetables like potatoes. I've noticed in the third world countries where acne is non-existant they eat moderately high glycemic tubers like jicama. These starchy vegetables supply us with complex carbs just like grains, but don't seem to cause acne problems. I eat these with every meal so actually I am on a very high carb diet.

I still don't understand why a russet potato with a very high glycemic index won't give me acne, but all grains do (even ones with low GIs). For me, I believe I experience some form of an allergy to grains. Anyhow, I am getting creative with potato flours and making all sorts of pancakes and stuff. This is important to me especially because my two year old daughter gets excema from wheat- it looks like she has her mommy's genes. Lucky for her, I've been cooking paleo and we all have great skin now.

BTW, now that I've seen first hand what the power of changing one's diet can do, I cannot believe that people don't give it a try and continue to take needless prescriptions. Many kids are actually on steroids for excema and we know what people take for acne. Those medications should only be used in last resort situations especially when it comes to developing children. Sorry for the rant.

I still don't understand why a russet potato with a very high glycemic index won't give me acne, but all grains do (even ones with low GIs). For me, I believe I experience some form of an allergy to grains. Anyhow, I am getting creative with potato flours and making all sorts of pancakes and stuff. This is important to me especially because my two year old daughter gets excema from wheat- it looks like she has her mommy's genes. Lucky for her, I've been cooking paleo and we all have great skin now.

Maybe it's the mold thing with the grains??

So glad you figured out what works for you. I love hearing about everyone's diets, especially when they're successful.

Dogsncats, do you know your blood type by any chance? I sort of ascribe to the blood type diet, and type A's can't handle beef according to that diet. I am an O, so the paleo

diet is excellent for me to follow. The only grain that I eat lately is rice, brown usually.

It does not seem to bother my blood sugar levels the way wheat did, or even oats for that matter. I am trying to help some of my sons with acne, and we are trying to find

out what breaks them out. Dairy seems the worst, then wheat seems to be a problem,

or sweets, chocolate, etc. Congrats on finding out what really works for you!