Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Floridagal

TCA Peel...What to do???

Hi everyone!!! I recently ordered a 50% TCA peel. I went to the dermatologist today and asked her what she thought about TCA peels....I didnt tell her I ordered one from online. She told me that they are pretty intense and painful.

So....here is my question, is she just trying to get me to do it her way??? I have some shallow scars on my cheeks and she wants to do 2 vitalizing peels(not familiar with them) and then do 4 sessions of microderm. In the end I will spend a total of $750. I should be getting the TCA peel within the next few days and Im so confused about what to do because I really don't want to screw up my skin and she sorta scared me away from the TCA. Thanks for your help :-)

Hi everyone!!! I recently ordered a 50% TCA peel. I went to the dermatologist today and asked her what she thought about TCA peels....I didnt tell her I ordered one from online. She told me that they are pretty intense and painful.

So....here is my question, is she just trying to get me to do it her way??? I have some shallow scars on my cheeks and she wants to do 2 vitalizing peels(not familiar with them) and then do 4 sessions of microderm. In the end I will spend a total of $750. I should be getting the TCA peel within the next few days and Im so confused about what to do because I really don't want to screw up my skin and she sorta scared me away from the TCA. Thanks for your help :-)

It depends what strength of acid you use to do the peel.

$750 for 4 microdermabrasion and 2 vitalizing peels is a lot of money for what will probably give you a slight improvement. These treatments are not aggressive enough to deal with acne scarring properly.

You said you bought 50% TCA. TCA peels are good for giving a healthy complexion and really freshens up the skin and would do as much for your shallow scarring as the treatments your derm recommended. You should not do a 50% TCA peel on yourself though as the burning would be very intense and the risk of scarring is high when doing such a strong peel.

Instead you could dilute it down to a much more controlled strength that will give you a peel without the high risk of scarring and discomfort would be much less too.

If you added one equal distilled or purified part water (ie- teaspoon) of water to one equal part 50% TCA acid (teaspoon) then the acidity would be changed to 25%.

It's sensible to start at a low percentage to see how your skin will react and this will also allow you to get used to the procedure and understand how to do it properly, rather than dive in at the deep end and do a high strength peel on yourself that could give you unwanted scarring.

It's advisable to do a patch test on a small area of skin on your face so can you see what you're in for.

I wouldn't bother spending $750 on what you the 4 microdermabrasions and 2 "vitalizing peels" as you'd probably find that you could get a similar result on your shallow scarring with with repeated TCA peels spaced 4 weeks apart, starting off at 12.5% and then if you feel comfortable, you could increase the percentage for a deeper peel. I wouldn't go over 25% though if you were doing it yourself.

If you added 2 equal parts water to one equal part 50% TCA acid, then the acidity would be reduced to 12.5%

Wouldn't it actually be 17%???

From what I read, under no circumstances should people do a TCA greater than 15% by themselves!

If you added 2 equal parts water to one equal part 50% TCA acid, then the acidity would be reduced to 12.5%

Wouldn't it actually be 17%???

From what I read, under no circumstances should people do a TCA greater than 15% by themselves!

Lots of people do TCA peels greater than 15%. 15% isn't strong, but it is important to gauge how the skin will react, hence the importance of starting at 12.5% and working up from there. I've done a 40% TCA peel and the stinging was bad. There is no need to go over 25% at even at that percentage, expect a fair bit of discomfort. For more controlled results but similar to that of what a 25% peel would give, then 15-20% with an extra layer would be better.

Yes I've thought about it and to get 50% TCA down to 12.5%, you mix one equal part 50% TCA with one equal part water. That brings the acidity down to 25%

Then you add one equal part of the 25% TCA to one equal part water. Now you have 12.5%.

I'll edit the first reply to avoid any confusion.

hi you said you have done a 40% peel, how did that go and did you notice much difference? ive decided to get a 15% tca done proffessionally and then try and do one myself and hopefully go higher with the %. all i really want to do is do a strong chemical peel on my forehead because i have all sorts of scars that i need to take away, is it safe to do a peel just on the forehead or would it look uneven? what do you apply the tca with?

hi you said you have done a 40% peel, how did that go and did you notice much difference? ive decided to get a 15% tca done proffessionally and then try and do one myself and hopefully go higher with the %. all i really want to do is do a strong chemical peel on my forehead because i have all sorts of scars that i need to take away, is it safe to do a peel just on the forehead or would it look uneven? what do you apply the tca with?

I've had 7 glycolic peels before and a 20% TCA peel. I thought I'd do a 40% peel before moving onto cross treatments.

40% TCA stings badly and is very uncomfortable. It didn't do anything for my deeper scarring but seemed to soften the edges around the shallow scarring.

I wouldn't recommend it because of the stinging associated with it.