Help- red face and extreme dryness

Here's My Skin Regimin:

Morning:

2.25% Benzoyl Peroxide Purifying Cleanser

Clindamycin Phosphate Lotion

Night:

Same as morning but with differin

Here's My Problem:

I have red skin and dry skin, and it's getting worse. What can I do?

how long have you been on this?

Ditch that cleanser immediately and switch to something extremely mild that does nothing but cleanse, and contains no sulfates, acids, BP, or other active ingredients. You might try the Cetaphil bar or the Purpose bar (not the foaming cleansers, they contain sulfates). Wash your face with lukewarm water and use your fingertips; pat dry gently. Do not scrub with a washcloth or a towel.

You are already using two powerful topical treatments. Differin makes your skin prone to dryness anyway ... the BP wash is pushing you over the edge, and you don't need it. If you want to include BP in your regimen, use it only as a spot treatment.

In addition to ditching the cleanser, you should probably take a night or two off from Differin to let your skin recover a bit. Irritation will not help your acne.

The clindamycin probably also has alcohol in it (mine does) - so that could be adding to the dryness as well. I only use it once a day now, but when I was using it all over my face twice a day it was pretty drying.

you need to stop putting so much shit on your face... start washing it with dove sensetive bar and stop all that other stuff. trust me, my face was irritated as well and the only way to stop it being irritated is by stopping all the unecessary products.

you need to stop putting so much shit on your face... start washing it with dove sensetive bar and stop all that other stuff. trust me, my face was irritated as well and the only way to stop it being irritated is by stopping all the unecessary products.

I don't agree ... you don't need to stop your topicals entirely. Just get a gentle cleanser, take a few days off to let your skin recover, and then you can start them up again to keep your acne under control. And if you don't have a good moisturizer, preferably one with SPF for daytime, you need to find one. Differin will make your face more sun-sensitive, and that could cause redness and dryness as well.

I really like Linda Sy's moisturizers and sunscreens ... you can get samples at a very reasonable price if you want to check them out. There's a link to her website in my signature.

this is just my opinion but i find putting products on my face makes the spots worse because my skin must be really sensitive or something, i just use warm water to open my pores then after a couple of minutes of that i use cold water to close my pores. I only use water nothing else and my skin is clear now, well 1 small active spot but im not going to complain about that when it was moderate acne a couple of years ago.

I agree with Lionqueen. You need a gentle cleanser and a good oil-free moisturizer. Give your skin a break for a couple days from those topicals as well!

this is just my opinion but i find putting products on my face makes the spots worse because my skin must be really sensitive or something, i just use warm water to open my pores then after a couple of minutes of that i use cold water to close my pores. I only use water nothing else and my skin is clear now, well 1 small active spot but im not going to complain about that when it was moderate acne a couple of years ago.

Pores don't open and close. Warm water and steaming can soften and loosen the comedoes ... that's all.

Whats wrong with a bit of the old Sodium Laureth Sulfate?

For the average person ... it's not much to worry about as long as it is present in very small quantities.

But retinoid users are already compromising our skin barriers and are particularly prone to skin dehydration through water loss. We have to be very careful about what else we put on our faces. Many Retin A and Tazorac users end up quitting in disgust because of the dryness, redness, and irritation they experience ... most of which can be avoided by using the right cleanser and moisturizer and easing into the product gradually. And I think that's sad, because these products can help so many people.

Same goes for BP users, BTW ....