Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Acne is not hard to control nor is it difficult to treat.

I am currently experimenting with the link between diet and acne, but until research can prove a link, there is no way that my father would ever advise his patients to alter their diet. He respects the scientific method as do I.

Mrs. Jenkins,

You are a LIAR. Either you are lying here, or you are lying in all your posts in the diet forum in which you state that you are CLEAR from following a certain diet.

Furthermore, you are an IDIOT. Acne OBVIOUSLY is hard to control and treat as evidenced by the thousands of people on this site. And as evidenced by the following quotes from your own posts:

"When I see photos taken of me when I had acne, my features don't look pretty at all. I think all the inflammation must have made my face almost swollen. My nose and cheeks looked so full, even when I was very thin. I feel sad knowing that my looks were so distorted during my youth and I can never get that back."

"I haven't had acne in a long time, but the psychological effects are still there. I especially remember seeing my mother almost cry while looking at my skin. I don't think she thought I was pretty at all. She would look at my face with this pained expression and say, "Your skin is looking better." My cousins and grandmother would comment on my 'infections'.....While I got to the root of my problem and no longer don't have acne..."

"At several points in my life I had so much acne that I couldn't find a clear spot on my face"

Why didn't your dad successfully treat you?

Why don't you tell us the truth, Mrs. Jenkins? Are you clear from your diet? If so, why did you even bother experimenting with it if acne is so easy to treat?

Acne is not hard to control nor is it difficult to treat.

I am currently experimenting with the link between diet and acne, but until research can prove a link, there is no way that my father would ever advise his patients to alter their diet. He respects the scientific method as do I.

Mrs. Jenkins,

You are a LIAR. Either you are lying here, or you are lying in all your posts in the diet forum in which you state that you are CLEAR from following a certain diet.

Furthermore, you are an IDIOT. Acne OBVIOUSLY is hard to control and treat as evidenced by the thousands of people on this site.

Why don't you tell us the truth, Mrs. Jenkins? Are you clear from your diet? If so, why did you even bother experimenting with it if acne is so easy to treat?

I'm beginning to wonder if Mrs. Jenkins is a troll, who just comes on here to mess with us.........

I'm beginning to wonder if Mrs. Jenkins is a troll, who just comes on here to mess with us.........

That's a pretty twisted hobby, but you have to wonder.

From what I can gather, the diet she claims to have cleared her acne by consists of eating a lot of fat, but minimal protein and carbs? You know I'm open to diet ideas, but I have tried to ask her how one goes about this. Like does she just eat spoonfuls of butter or what, but she's a little elusive about the details.

Either way, it's irresponsible to come on here and say you cleared yourself through diet if you didn't. And if she did successfully clear herself with diet, it's altogether confounding that she'd post something about doing everything your derm tells you.

Maybe she's just crazy. She has a few whacked theories if you read her posts.

That's a pretty twisted hobby, but you have to wonder.

From what I can gather, the diet she claims to have cleared her acne by consists of eating a lot of fat, but minimal protein and carbs? You know I'm open to diet ideas, but I have tried to ask her how one goes about this. Like does she just eat spoonfuls of butter or what, but she's a little elusive about the details.

Either way, it's irresponsible to come on here and say you cleared yourself through diet if you didn't. And if she did successfully clear herself with diet, it's altogether confounding that she'd post something about doing everything your derm tells you.

Maybe she's just crazy. She has a few whacked theories if you read her posts.

Maybe she is just crazy. And being crazy and having acne would just suck. I saw all the diet posts too (I lurk there sometimes) and I her diet seems like the exact opposite of an "acne friendly" diet...... And if she was clear by eating only refined carbs and saturated fats.....why on earth would she even care about a derm's advise. Most derms completely disregard the connection between diet and acne.........so If I trulyu believed that diet cured my acne I'd dismiss a derms advice....and stick to my diet (oh if it were only that simple for me)...........

This thread is bordering on just ridiculous....

Who comes on an acne board and says "acne is not hard to control or treat"....especially to a scientist who is planniong on making a career out of studying the disease?.......... if it were that easy....the four years I'll be spending working on a PhD in Biochemistry will be a huge a waste of time.....I should just take my idiot derm's advise.....and continue making makeup for a living........Hey if it's that easy to cure acne I'd have nothing to do my dissertation on.......nothing to reasearch......and I have tons of stuff to research and hundreds of questions to answer.......

Acne is not hard to control nor is it difficult to treat. Obviously my dad knows more about this than I do, but good hygiene is always at the cornerstone of a good acne treatment. As far as I know, he has had complete success with most of his patients. Like I wrote previously, if my father's treatment isn't working it is because of failure to follow his orders. One patient didn't like the side effects of her Retin-A Micro cream so she started applying it just once a week. Well, duh, of course her acne wasn't going to clear doing that. Another patient admitted to my dad that he was just too lazy to follow through with all the necessary steps before bed. These are typical examples. Some people are impatient and then start trying to treat themselves. Little do they know that their homemade cures take longer and are based on the same principles as prescription medications anyway. Plus, without the guidance of a medical doctor, you are always putting yourself at risk. Short term results don't negate the future long term consequences. If a dermatologist holds out on prescribing Accutane, this is only to protect the patient from unnecessary side effects. He is only protecting you and has your best interest in mind.

Acne is not difficult to treat?? Since when? If it was so easy, we'd all be clear and there wouldn't be a need for this site in the first place, right?

If it was so easy, I wouldn't be hauled up in my room avoiding all the mirrors in the house like a vampire crying my eyes out wondering what I did wrong to have perfect skin for eighteen years only to be faced with *this* just before turning nineteen?

Personally, I can't see a dermatologist regularly. We simply don't have the time and/or money, and I have enough doctors as it is. But I *do* trust them. I do not believe that all derms are in on some international conspiracy with Neutrogena and Clean and Clear to keep acne on our faces. And I do, for the most part, believe that they want to help. But in no *way* is it easy to get rid of or control. Because if it was, I wouldn't be on the verge of a freakin *nervous breakdown* every damn day.

Man, some of you are just cruel. Yes, I can keep my skin clear via diet. If I eat a lower carb diet, lower protein and higher fat diet my skin clears completely. What does eating spoonfuls of butter have to do with anything? My guess is that this diet keeps insulin under control and elevated insulin levels or IGF-1 have been linked to acne. I wouldn't advise anyone to follow this diet because there have been no studies showing that it is safe. I did find a study done in 1999 showing that diabetics did very well on a high fat, low carb diet. And since acne is related on some level to diabetes, I can see a link. I don't know how this makes me crazy. Just because typical healthy foods like whole wheat and lots of fruit give me acne, doesn't make me crazy.

My skin also clears when I've taken prescriptions, but out of curiosity I wanted to see if I could clear my skin without medication.

My father can't just recommend anything. It has to be carefully researched and its safety proven.

http://www.docguide.com/dg.nsf/PrintPrint/...5256791004AA1B2

Man, some of you are just cruel. Yes, I can keep my skin clear via diet. If I eat a lower carb diet, lower protein and higher fat diet my skin clears completely. What does eating spoonfuls of butter have to do with anything? My guess is that this diet keeps insulin under control and elevated insulin levels or IGF-1 have been linked to acne. I wouldn't advise anyone to follow this diet because there have been no studies showing that it is safe. I did find a study done in 1999 showing that diabetics did very well on a high fat, low carb diet. And since acne is related on some level to diabetes, I can see a link. I don't know how this makes me crazy. Just because typical healthy foods like whole wheat and lots of fruit give me acne, doesn't make me crazy.

My skin also clears when I've taken prescriptions, but out of curiosity I wanted to see if I could clear my skin without medication.

My father can't just recommend anything. It has to be carefully researched and its safety proven.

Mrs Jenkins,

I have no issue with your diet. I'm glad it works for you. I had asked you several times previously to elaborate on how one minimizes proteins and carbs and eats more high fat. Most fats tend to be condiment type things like butter and oil, so I am confused about what exactly you eat, hence the "spoonfuls of butter" jab.

My issue is with your complete hypocrisy. Do you not see how incredibly two-faced it is to go about proclaiming how your diet cleared your acne, yet to insist that everyone else follow their dermatologist's orders! Do you think you're the only one smart enough to figure out a diet that clears you? If you don't, then what do you think? Do you think people should experiment with their diet, like you did? If I'm to believe what you say in this thread, you believe it's fine for you to experiment, but everyone else should just do exactly what the derm tells them.

It's all completely illogical, which is why we're questioning your motives and/or your sanity.

We weren't trying to be cruel. But we've seen you post time and time again about how your high fat, low carb, low protein diet cured you acne, which by itself is fine and doen't make you crazy (I neved did discredit the acne/diet llink) but then you come here and say "trust ONLY your derms" and that "Acne is not hard to control nor is it difficult to treat"......all in all ypu siound like a hypocrite....imaybe not crazy but a hypocrite......

I have adult acne. Mostly papulopustular, but if untreated or not properly treated, or in the summer, it easliy becomes nodulocystic acne. Is my acne severe because I'm lazy, or dirty, or because I don't follow my derms detailed instructions (what instructions???). Can your dad give me instructions.....my derm forgot to........should I wash my face more? Should I practice proper hygine?? Do I have acne because I'm dirty?? Is my acne severe because I only use a small pea sized amount of retin-a when I should use a large pea sized amout? Um....I do wash my face. I do practice "proper hygine" and bathe everyday, and use a fresh towel every time....I wash my sheets once a week and I usually sleep on a clean pilliowcase (or clean side of a pillowcase).

My derm appointments last about 5 minutes. I don't get instructions. My derm didn't even tell me not to wax on a retinoid (good thing I have a bit of common sense)....... Sorry I can't trust my derm......he doesn't know what's best for me.......I do......

I am still goddamn pissed about her comment about nurses.

I may not always agree with my derm on everything but i still listen and TOGETHER we make a decision that will work for me, if anything the nurse is the best advisor on things. Nurses see the patients more than the doctors do so they can give a lot of advice, same with pharmacists.

There are many sources to good care and not everyone is a simple one. As someone in the medical field i would like to ask Mrs. Jenkins to restrict her comments to PERSONAL OPINION or risk the severe bitch slapping that has already begun and i have no qualms with helping to continue.

"My derm appointments last about 5 minutes."

Thats a common complaint.

I think its quite disgusting that we/you pay such high fees only to be herded in and out like cattle.

Acne is not hard to control nor is it difficult to treat. Obviously my dad knows more about this than I do, but good hygiene is always at the cornerstone of a good acne treatment. As far as I know, he has had complete success with most of his patients. Like I wrote previously, if my father's treatment isn't working it is because of failure to follow his orders. One patient didn't like the side effects of her Retin-A Micro cream so she started applying it just once a week. Well, duh, of course her acne wasn't going to clear doing that. Another patient admitted to my dad that he was just too lazy to follow through with all the necessary steps before bed. These are typical examples. Some people are impatient and then start trying to treat themselves. Little do they know that their homemade cures take longer and are based on the same principles as prescription medications anyway. Plus, without the guidance of a medical doctor, you are always putting yourself at risk. Short term results don't negate the future long term consequences. If a dermatologist holds out on prescribing Accutane, this is only to protect the patient from unnecessary side effects. He is only protecting you and has your best interest in mind.

Are you some kind of troll Mrs. Jenkins? If your trying to help your not. Acne is not an easy disorder to control or treat. Just because you grew out of your or contolled it with your diet or whatever, and you don't have it now.....you can't say "Acne is not hard to control nor is it difficult to treat." You can't say my acne is caused by a lack of hygine or laziness. I'm not lazy and I can easily read a prescription insert and listen to my doctor, although he never even explained how to use anything......he didn't tell me not to use retin-a during the day, or to not get waxed on it (that I just knew for myself). I got no instructions........

Your dad (if he really is a derm) must see tons of patients that are total morons and apply a treatment incorrectly or use too much or too little and have undesirable results. But many of us here have read up and know a little more about acne than the common person. I'd be safe to say I know more about it than my derm does.......... he didn't even know who Albert Kligman is.......

My derm is holding out on Accutane because he thinks I'll grow out of it before I finish highschool. I instruct him to look at my chart and find my date of birth (9/30/81). He was astounded and said "OMG!!! You look like a kid!!!.....I could have sworn you said you went to South (local highschool)"....you can't be 23!!"...right underneath my date of birth was my drug allergies listed in big bold black letters......

He is really holding out on it because he's wooried that if I get preggers then his ass is on the line......he's young and inexperienced and just plain scared.......

When he asked me why I don't wear makeup he then suggested that I try an Almay makeup...because it's hypoallergenic , non-comedogenic and has Vitamins A, E, C and Aloe and Chamomile. I resonded..."I formulated that makeup. I work for them. I know exactly how much Vitamins A, E, C and Aloe and Chamomile is in that product.....because I put it there......all are less than it's less than 0.05% concentration and do jack shit."

He thinks I'm a difficult patient....and maybe I am.......

I trust my derm to take his little Rx pad and write me prescriptions that I request. If I left him to his own devices he'd make a mess of my skin and possibly give me a deadly reaction........the trust goes no deeper than that.......

Beware of derms that sell their own lines of products to you and insist that you won't clear up without them......

One that comes to mind is Dr. Murad.....who had some lab formulate the most irritating, ineffective, poorly formulated anti-acne system on the market.........and is now sitting on a small fortune......

OMG!!!!! I had to go on accutane after Murad's craptastic products

Guest Calibos

Dermatologists are highly educated men who know your skin better than you do. What do you think they learn in medical school? All the advice they give and products they prescribe have been carefully researched. If your dermatologist's regime didn't work for you, then maybe you didn't do as he instructed. Dermatologists don't realize that their instructions are not that easy for the average patient to understand. Do not do anything except what your dermatologist recommended. If you did something different from what he told you, then this also could be the cause of your acne.

Don't trust what nurses say. They are not medical doctors and are not adequately trained to offer advice. Often times they think too highly of themselves and start giving uneducated advice to anyone who is willing to listen. Above all, don't listen to what posters on this message board say. Most, if not all, are not medical doctors.

Good luck!! And remember, stop touching your face with those dirty paws! That's what my dad says and he's a dermatologist :D . Love ya, dad

Dermatologists can be women too.... :whistle:

this is preposturous!!!

derms go to freaking SCHOOL for this stuff, why on earth would you not trust your derm? I'm going to be going to one soon if B5 doesn't work for me....it's their profession for crying out loud, they get payed to do it!!!

what if he was a paedophile, would you trust him then?

My dad says that drug allergies and allergies in general are incredibly rare. People will often get a rash and falsely attribute it to their medication. Some patients can be hypochondriacs, constantly complaining of this disorder that they read about in a magazine and now they think they have it. I'm not saying that this is true for you, but you never know. A fever, for example could easily be caused by influenza.

Doctors have to take calculated risks. With all the allergies you think you have, is it even wise to take Accutane? If something happens, you'll blame your dermatologist. Remember, he isn't the bad guy, only acne is. Dermatologists are good guys :D .

Not the ones that are paedophiles.

Not to sound condescending but you're telling us to listen only to dermatologists; your father is a dermatologist, therefore your saying we should all trust him and waste our money going to see people like your dad so they can prescibe us useless antibiotics and topicals which do nothing, and then have to return and shed out more of our hard earned cash to hear the same useless rhetoric we heard last time and get shafted with the same useless medicine, thus entering an infinite loop which pays for your dad's new boat.

If anything, i think we should all stop listening to them completely; if not only for the fact YOU understand how YOU work better than anyone and therefore YOU know what works and what doesn't, i think it would be quite funny to see the look on Mrs Jenkins face.

I can't believe I read the whole thread ...

Just want to add this:

Derms are one tool we can make use of in our (for some of us, never-ending) fight against acne. The good derms are very useful. The bad and indifferent ones can, unfortunately, be hazardous to our health.

Do your reading, guys. Research the stuff your derm prescribes for you. Read about other people's experiences. If you aren't comfortable with the approach your derm is taking, FIND A NEW DERM. Or strike out on your own.

LabGirl ... I woulda dumped that guy a long time ago ... you must have a strong streak of loyalty in you.

One that comes to mind is Dr. Murad.....who had some lab formulate the most irritating, ineffective, poorly formulated anti-acne system on the market.........and is now sitting on a small fortune......

THANK YOU!

I'm pretty sure that 'small fortune' will disappear through class-action litigation in the near future. "Dr. Murad" scammer, fake, phony, criminal, pathetic piece of moronic trash will get what's coming to him for giving so many people cystic acne after they used his overpriced acnegenic garbage. He deserves to have nightmares every night of his skin melting and peeling off as furious murad-caused cystic acne covered persecuters pelt him with fiery coals. He's a sad, pathetic, greedy little man and the only thing I'm positive about is that he he'll NEVER live peacefully with that ill-gotten wealth.

I think its quite disgusting that we/you pay such high fees only to be herded in and out like cattle.

its a good point but unfortunately the medical profession is large scale and sometimes you can't see patients for very long or else someone else goes without seeing a doctor AT ALL. if you're concerned with you're appointment time, call ahead when you book the appointment and mention that you would like to sit down and talk for longer than 5 minutes, most follow ups are not to consult but merely for just that..follow ups. Its your responsibility to mention that you need longer to speak with your doctor. If you don't have results from your doctor in terms of longer wait times than look for another doctor, a good one will make an effort to book a time so that they can see you on a longer schedule time. HOWEVER this may not happen right away and so you may not get the time but if your request it although you may have to wait longer for a longer sit down you SHOULD get it. The problem is that this is not emergency medicine and even then you only see a doctor briefly. The problem is not the health care providers, they work with what they can, the problem is the SYSTEM that allows this. If you want to complain talk to your insurance providers who dictate the number of patients a doctor must see... seriously before you bitch and complain look at both sides of the fence.

Trust me. i know it sucks, i have a psychiatric disorder (ADD and OCD with panic attacks) and it is a BITCH to try and find a doctor. I am also in school to become a nurse and i know that its not the hospital's fault, but with the little funding they get they can only do so much.

Write to your governement and sign petitions that insurance policies be amended. Take action. We all have a voice and if we want proper care we have the necesity to use it

This thread is more than two years old. The original poster does not seem to have visited in a long while so I doubt you'll hear from him/her.