Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Donkey_Puncher

Anyone here got clear off Minocin/Minocycline ??

Anyone?? or just share your experiences with the drug

Thanks!

Hi,

No these anti-b's did not work for me at all. I had some success with teracycline and also flucloxillin. Tetra worked well for 4-5 month periods but the acne would then come back and usually worse, then I would up the dosage and the it would work for a while and then back to square 1. Flucloxillian is very good for a quick fix, it can clear you totally in 4-5 days, but it does not stop acne once of it and if on it for a lengthy time, its effectiveness wears off very quickly.

I found this a recurring theme with anti-b's for myself. I dont want to sound too negative. Im sure it has worked for some, particulalry if the acne is not too severe.

I am now almost through 2 months of a 4 month course on RoAccutane and am seeing slight improvement now, though its slow.

Anyway I hope whatever you try it works for you.

AndD

I took Minocin for a long time (I dont know exactly how long but it was years rather than months) and found it very effective whilst I was using it. However, over time, it because less effective and my acne returned. As the previous poster mentioned, you should note that antibiotics only work whilst you are taking them and I personally believe that long term antibiotic use is damaging - you kill off all of the beneficial bacteria in your system which can leave open to other infections (eg yeast) and (if you believe in holistic / dietary theories) harm your digestion and make you more susceptiable to food intolerances etc. That said, doctors tend to prescribe antibiotics if the acne is not resolved by topical applications alone and where the acne is not severe or persistent enough to warrant Accutane. Contrary to the previous poster I did not find tetracycline helpful at all so, if you are going to go down the antibiotic route, it is best to try what you have been prescribed and see if it works for you.

thanks

im also talking about for mild to moderate acne

i'm mild to mod. i took for a while, worked but now it wouldn't work on me. yes it works for the first time, but then when it comes back you need higher doasges or a stronger antibiotic that will be the same thing. I wish I knew this would happen, if so i wouldve gone on accutane from the beginning. such a waste for me.

it took it for around 2 and a half months....cleared up my face pretty well...then i ran out of pill for 2 days and my acne came back on my forehead so im back on it again...so i recommend taking it at the same time every day and don't skip any dosages if possible

www.3amsports.com

I have taken minocycline with proactive solution together and they worked really well. It didn't clear me but I can tell you it is well worth a try before trying for the BIG GUN (Accutane).

Please read my post....

i have MILD/MODERATE and was only persribed 60 pills (2 months)

for the people sharing their experiences can you plz also say what kinda acne u have. Thx

i dont know. i was only on it for two days and it made me CRAZY, i think i was allergic to it. i had crazy depression/anxiety/add and this terrible detatched feeling like an out of body experience while i was taking it and for like two days afterwards.

bactrim always worked for me, though.

i've been on minocycline for about two months and my skin is still pretty bad. it doesn't seem to have done much for me at all. but i started using retin-a at the same time, so it may still just be an ib from retin-a. i'll still continue to take it though. wishful thinking.

i've been asking the same questions about minocin for a while. my experience seems to be different from what others tell me. I had moderate acne when I began on 22nd February, BUT, I had also just come off doing the regimen, so I was not using Benzoyl Peroxide, which had kept me clear. I began taking 100 MG once a day.

1 month and a half in, my face was the worst it has ever been. I think my face would have been bad anyway, but the Minocin was doing battle with the acne that Benzoyl peroxide used to suppress, and losing. Basically, I had these super sore, super red lumps all over my face and they were dry and some filled with pus. It was only after two full months and a bit of being on it that it started to have any benefit whatsoever. Right now it looks like I have severe acne because of what I went through, but actually it's pretty mild or moderate, the minocin is now working. I am going to continue to use up the 100 pills and, under the reccomendation of my doctor, will start taking accutane alongside it until the minocin runs out. Basically minocin in the morning and accutane at night.

That being said, most replies I got said that Minocin tended to clear people up pretty fast. If you have mild to moderate acne you shouldn't be worried about what I went through, Minocin isn't a drug that makes things worse before they get better - it either doesn't work or starts to work early into the treatment (so I have heard). I don't know what happened with the dude who took it for four months and had bad results (above).

I've been on Minocin before and it worked for me. Wait a good month before you judge whether it's working and even then I would make a dermatologist appointment to decide what to do from there. Private Message me if you want more info or help...

Thanks for the reply. Also im not positive how antibiotics work. Once i finish my 2 month course will my acne come back? Do i have to take antibiotics forever or until i grow out of acne? What's the deal?

I was told by my derm that they won't allow a person on Minocycline for more than 6 months because it collects in your system and can cause your skin to turn purple. After that, I've read many posts here where people have taken Minocycline for an extended time with no problems. Maybe I have an extra cautious derm.

Minocycline is supposed to give a faster result than Tetracycline and it did for me. I stopped using it and when I tried it again several months later it didn't do a thing for me. I was using it for mild acne and occassional, very large, cysts.

Guest chipmunk_spunk

Minocycline made some difference for me but not enough.

If you have moderate to severe acne you will need accutane to get completely clear.

Thanks for the reply. Also im not positive how antibiotics work. Once i finish my 2 month course will my acne come back? Do i have to take antibiotics forever or until i grow out of acne? What's the deal?

My understanding is that antibiotics don't cure acne so, when you stop taking them, sooner or later your acne will return unless you naturally grow out of it or it is dealt with by other means. Therefore you could find that you are taking antibiotics for many weeks, months or even years. Long term antibiotic use probably isn't a good idea because it also destroys the good bacteria in your system which could leave you more likely to suffer from other problems, e.g. digestive. I also believe that very long term Minocin use (i.e. 5 years +) is associated with a risk of liver damage. Whilst your prescription is only for 60 days, I doubt that is because your doctor thinks your acne will be cured in 60 days - he/she may just want to assess at the end of 60 days whether the minocin is helping.

Ive done two rounds of minocycline. Both worked fantastic, I have almost crystal clear skin now (save for some light scarring which is more than live-with-able) doxycycline didnt work for me, but I dont know what I would do without mino. I also use tazorac and clindamycin.

Ive done two rounds of minocycline. Both worked fantastic, I have almost crystal clear skin now (save for some light scarring which is more than live-with-able) doxycycline didnt work for me, but I dont know what I would do without mino. I also use tazorac and clindamycin.

Thanks for sharing! i appreciate

I was on minocycline starting December of 2004, after seeing my derm for mild/moderate acne. It worked fairly well on my acne; I didn't get the large, painful cysts/nodules on my cheekbones like I had been for so long, but I still continued to get an occasional breakout, especially around my period (sorry if that's TMI.) I just made the decision about a week and a half ago to take myself off of it for health reasons. ...Wow, did I break out. I knew that this would happen so I'm not totally and utterly bummed out about it, but I am worrying that I may scar from it. Those red, painful cysts or nodules have returned, and they are very deep under the skin.

Anyhow, I guess what I'm getting at is that minocycline (for me) was a nice temporary solution. I had pretty damn nice skin for about 2 years, and it was a pleasure. Eventually, however, you will have to go off of it, or it will stop working. And then... well, then you have to decide what to do next. I'm refusing to go on any more antibiotics because I think they messed up with my health, so I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do. Nevertheless, this is my personal experience, and it's different for everyone. I wish you luck!

Debonaire - I'm in pretty much the same situation as you. I decided to come off of Doxy because I was experiencing health problems I believe were related to the antibiotics. However, within a week or two I've started breaking out again. I was only on the doxycycline for a few months (had also taken it as an anti-malarial a few years ago), but I didn't want to get into a situation where I was taking it long term - possibly doing real damage to myself - but unable to come off because I feared what would happen to my skin. Plus, the effectiveness was bound to decrease sooner or later. It's frustrating for me because you'd think there would be some kind of alternative treatment that only deals with the particular bacteria that causes the spots, rather than nuking all bacteria. I'm currently using Nizoral for dandruff and also areas of dry skin on my face (which are also spot prone) so I'll let people know if that is at all effective. It was nice not having to worry about my appearance and not being withdrawn/ depressed for a while... Oh well, I guess my body will hopefully sort it self out sooner or later...