Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Body2see

Bodybuilding & accutane

Ok, so this should be interesting. I just started Accutane yesterday 5/1/2006. I am using the generic (Amnesteem) because it is only $10 dollars per month with my insurance, insurance paid $330. If I were to use the Accutane brand name, my co-pay would be $400 dollars, so easy choice.

My background...I am what doctors call "hypersensitive" to medications. This means that I respond to low dosages, but at the same time, I tend to always experience a medications side effects.

My treatment is only for BODY ACNE. I am fortunate that I have beautiful skin on my face, and not one single pimple. This was not always the case, I had bad acne from age 13-18, it cleared up naturally, and now it is perfect. Where I am having acne is on the NECK, CHEST, and BACK. It isn't nodule acne, rather, it looks like red marks, hundreds of them. I have not responded to the following therapies, so I finally decided to try accutane, though I really don't want to.

MINOCYCLINE- By far the best antibiotic out there, works very well @ 100-200mgs per day

FINACEA GEL- An excellent cream, in fact the best that I have tried, cleared up acne by about 25% in one month

Doxycycline- Decent results/no sides/not as good as minocycline

Bactrim DS- Didn't respond

Erethromycin- Didn't respond

Tetracycline- Didn't respond

ClindaGel- Very little results

Muciprocin Gel- Medium results

PREDNISONE- WORKED WONDERS...but its effects are only temporary...good to use if you have an important event. A 7-day dose (40mgs) cut my acne by 50%...Only to return a week later

OTC PRODUCTS

ZenMed Body acne kit- Decent results, but my acne returned

Neutrogena BodyWash- No change

Clearasil Plus products- No change

Aveeno Oatmeal Bar- Excellent product

Nivea for Men Oil Control Soap- By far the best product I have used

Clinique Acne Bar Level 2- Excellent soap, gentle on sensitive skin

So, as you can see, I have tried it all...but my body has not responded. Alot of the reason is due to hormonal imbalances, most likely caused from bodybuilding, supplementation, and fluctuation of testosterone levels.

I'm concerned about the muscle aches caused by accutane, as I am working out heavily, at least 4-5x per week...on top of the fact that I have an extremely active lifestyle, and extremely stressful lifestyle. Also, I am on a very high calorie diet, so lets just see if that helps, or hurts my absorption of the medication.

I am worried....but I started. My doctor prescribed me 80mgs a day to start..however I am going to begin @ 40mgs per day for the first month and then re-evaluate. I will be using NIVEA for men oil control, Lubriderm Moisturizing lotion with 15SPF sunblock, Eucerin, AQUAPHOR for the lips, MaryKay oil controller for sensitive skin, Cetaphil face wash, Moisturizing Body Wash, some EFA oils, vitamins, and will throw in more as I go. I will adjust as needed...Here goes....

DAY 1:

Took the first 40mg pill with dinner @ 9p.m. An hour later I felt it kick (hypersensitive) and I got warm all over, and very sleepy.

Fell asleep around 1a.m, only to awake at 3:30am...WIDE AWAKE. Couldn't fall asleep. Been thirsty all day so far. Feeling a bit warm, but comfortable...no sides to report at this time.

80mgs to start? :o thats a lot! How much do you weigh? (if it's not too rude to ask, seeing as you work out a lot...)

I've stopped my weights now that I'm on roaccutane... I still do pushups and situps and running but I don't do weights... I've been eating badly recently aswell.

Though are you sure your high calorie diet will be ok on roaccutane? Well I don't know much about food lol, but doesn't calorie=cholesterol? could that be bad? *doesn't know lol*

Wish you luck!

Ive been on accutane for 9 weeks now, and I do lifts heavy weigth and I havent had any body aches......nothing....

Thanx for the replies...I'm glad to hear that, Im really nervous about the possible muscle aches...

Went to the gym today, and did bi's and tri's...my biceps are "locking" up in muscle spasms for the last hour or so....very painful..hope its not gonna stay like this the whole time.

As for the calories, yeah I am gonna have to watch my cholesterol levels for sure...they are already a little high, so.....

To answer, I am 27 years old, 5'8" 175lbs @ 5% BF. The low bodyfat worries me too, because again, lower bodyfat causes hypersensitivity.

About to take dose 2 right now...Ill leave feedback in the a.m

Anyone else with bodybuilding experience/weightlifting, please let me know, I need all I can get!! Thanx!!

I started out on 80mg's, I do workout a little and havent had any problems, take flax seed or fish oil because it lubricates your joints. good luck on accutane

I quit working out when I started accutane... I am lazy and I don't like my body aching! :D

Your body is going to ache on accutane (and especially on such a high dose) whether you work out or not. But maybe because your body is accustomed to working out and being taxed that you will deal with the medication better! Here's hoping :pray:

Hope things are going well!

Thanx again all for your best wishes...

Day 2

Woke up with my forehead fire engine red and dry...LOL...I used some BATH AND BODY WORKS, bronzer with moisturizer...so now my whole face is tan, soft, and soothed...Good idea to hide the redness on the face

One whitehead on my nose...I am praying my face wont break out, because at least that is clear.

I understand what Napoleon Dynamite meant when he said "my lips hurt real bad"

Leg cramping, some blurred vision at night, thirsty all day, dry eyes, stinging inside nose

Oddly enough bone pain in my left shoulder ( I previously broke it 1.5 years ago...haven't felt it for over a year until now) It's a dull aching feeling

Muscle spasms in my arms after working out, which is not normal...guess its from the lack of moisture

Other than that...I might want to try SEA SALTS...I have read alot of good about them for body acne.

I quit working out when I started accutane... I am lazy and I don't like my body aching! :D

yep. also i have crrazy fatigue and can't bear the thought of walking a mile to the gym [i'm at university and have no car :boohoo: ]. its not so much the working out that i'm put off by but that walk.

Went to the gym today, and did bi's and tri's...my biceps are "locking" up in muscle spasms for the last hour or so

any more than an hour purely on bi's and tri's would be enough to make anybodys muscles spasm! and you're talking about a 'last hour'! blimey, that'd go down as overtraining in my book... unless you're training at the intensity as an 86 year old grandmother of course... :D

but no i've been on roaccutane for 4 weeks and i've suffered no abnormal aches or pains during or after working out... i can't really see how a high calorie diet would decrease the absorption, otherwise we'd be told to take it on an empty stomach as with other drugs.

Afternoon Arnold, how are you getting on you big beef cake?

I workout regularly but I’m no human tank. I haven’t had too many problems although I do get tired very easily so motivation is a problem. I’ve also noticed a distinct drop in strength over the last couple of weeks.

I use Omega 3 pure Fish Oil capsules for joint aches. Are you also taking creatine as that might not be a good idea as regards your liver whilst your on ‘tane.

LOL..you guys are too funny!!

No creatine, I am taking glutamine, protein shakes, vitamins, EFA's and Omega's...and a good diet....Oddly enough, every pill I have taken increases my appetite an hour after I take it, I am starving...but that works for me!!

DAY 3

Might sound ridiculous, but I already notice lightening of red marks on my body. It's exciting, but I dont want to get my hopes up just yet.

2 new bumps..one large one on my upper back, and one on my neck.

Leg cramping, calf cramping, and my muscles are very tender after a week of working out so far...but my legs are getting the worst of it...and I just trained them today, so guess we'll see.

I definently feel the pain and tenderness in the lower back you guys spoke about....feels like someone kicked me right in the upper ass, hard too!! LOL, but Im used to painful muscles, so for me, no big deal "YET". I feel the pain in the joints and bones a bit, mostly in my wrists and knees, but nothing terrible.

Lips aren't as dry, I have been keeping Aquaphor on every 30minutes, and drinking tons of water.

SLEEP is definently a concern...I have been struggling to sleep and waking up early WIDE AWAKE. If people get depressed and moody, it's probably from a lack of sleep..insomnia can ruin anyones moods.

SO FAR SO GOOD!! I feel really good so far, nothing dramatic, I pray it stays this way. Skin is starting to dry up, feels kinda like sunburn a bit. I do realize that I just started, but if it stays this way...I won't mind a bit.

I bought this AVEENO intense relief medicated therapy chapstick...It's like $4 bucks, but its working nicely..Im not even in pain at the moment.

DAY 4

SLEEP!!! Or the lack thereof...problems falling asleep and staying asleep.

Woke up with a bump the size of a nickel on my inner leg??? It was gone by night-time oddly enough, kinda weird.

Was in the sun for 10 minutes without sunscreen...felt like my neck and arms were on fire...Won't let that happen again.

Less drying of the face, less pain to the lips, I keep them both moisturized constantly. I am using CETAPHIL face moisturizer, it works great.

Muscle cramps are ridiculous today, extremely sore, going to skip the gym for today as a result.

DAY 5

I forgot to mention yesterday, that I was in an unbelievably ANGRY :evil: and stressed mood, all day, for no reason. Like when you wake up on the wrong side of the bed, but it lasted all day...very unlike me, I am sure the meds/lack of sleep caused this.

My skin is looking amazing...body acne is lightening and clearing. Trying not to get my hopes up, because it is very distinguishable differences in such a short period of time. I would estimate 20% of my acne is gone already...Praying that I don't get the dreaded IB.

SLEEP is still an issue.

Felt amazing today,not even dryness!!

no side effects at all to report

So, its back to the gym for me!! :clap:

DAY 6

Nothing new to report....skin is looking better

Regular dry lips, and some muscle cramping

DAY 7

Muscle aches here and there, some joint aches, but minimal

SLEEP is still an issue

Red spots are fading, very noticeable

DAY 8

Too sore to work out today...took the day off from the gym, muscle aches are a bit more pronounced then they were when I workout too hard (overtrain), but I don't have any muscle cramping if I don't workout for a day or so....

SLEEP!! I'm exhausted today...I sleep for a few hours, and then wake up WIDE AWAKE...I might look into a prescription sleep aid.

DAY 9

Biceps are not particularly fond of this medication. Every time I train my biceps, they "lock-up" and cramp the rest of the evening....this never happened prior to this med. I am sure that it is because the moisture is just sucked out of your muscles. I definently notice that my muscles are flatter (not volumized) due to the lack of water in them.

I continue to drink tons of water, eat high fat meals with my medication, apply aquaphor every 30minutes, moisturizer with SPF throughout the day...and I can happily say, I have no side effects today!! No muscle cramping, etc....regular drying of the lips, but nothing that is even remotely bothersome.

My skin is really starting to clear up. I am told my skin on my face is even looking better, and it was already fine. My body acne is clearly fading and in several areas dissapating totally. I am very excited, it's almost unreal!!!!

SLEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need it, but am not getting it. Went to bed @ 4am, up again at 530, 8, and finally gave up trying around 11. :wall:

Sounds like you are behaving while on Accutane! Lots of water, chap stick, moisturizing, SPF, high-fat meals? Wow! You are my inspiration ;)

Glad things are going well except for the insomnia! Try taking a hot bath right before bed.. when you get out your body temp lowers, telling your body that it's time for bed. Other than that, I don't know what to tell you! Good luck!

Thank You very much TGirl...I'll give it a try...

DAY 10-20

Sorry computer crashed....

Anyways, everything is going very well.....

The dryness is dissapating, though I am still applying Aquaphor, every hour or so...no problems...

A few new pimples here and there, but nothing extreme...

My skin is already looking amazing. A considerable difference already. The red marks are starting to lighten. Some days are better than others....it's funny because like everyone already said, you can have awesome skin and a few hours later it can change.

I had a few days where my face was shiny, but not oily??

Sleep is getting a little better, I think my body is adjusting.

Muscle soreness is not an issue...it is no better and NO worse at the moment then without the accutane.

My joints ache slightly at times, but nothing dramatic.

My hair is really dry and my scalp is itchy. Other than that I HAVE NO COMPLAINTS.

MAINTENANCE is the key, and I am hitting this at all angles. I am very excited about the fact that my chest and back are clearing considerably!!!!!!

DAY 20-30

The time has gone by really fast.....

The worst side effects for me at this point, are the muscle aches at times...lately they are getting worse. The aches in the joints and muscles is so bad that I have had to take several days off from the gym at a time.

SLEEP!!!! Insomnia continues to be an issue....Cannot sleep at all

Got my first taste of depression on this med..a few days in a row...it was like being very emotional all the time for no reason at all....and nothing you can do about it....Minor mood swings throughout, but I think alot of it is from insomnia as well.

Dryness isn't too bad...I keep moisturizing, and it's going well

ON A BAD NOTE...My triglycerides came back at "308"....yes 308 which is horrible in comparison to the acceptable average of 150...I have to do additional blood work this month, and the doctor wants me to eat less fatty foods while on now.

ON A GOOD NOTE...My skin is noticeably much better...about a 40% overall healing at this point.

Days 30-40

So the misery begins it seems....

SLEEP is the worst part about the medication since I began...and it is only getting worse since my doctor put me on 60mgs a day now. I sleep about 2-4 hours per day, while working 12 hours and working out for 1.5 hours per day.....My body/mind is not doing well with this, not at all.

BODY ACHES...were so unmanageable, I dropped back down to 40mgs per day after a few days on 60mgs. Unbearable leg cramps, joint aches in the fingers, wrists, ankles, elbows....everywhere!! Bone and muscular aches continually daily throughout the body. SO much so, that I have only been working out in the last 10 days 2x per week...its too painful.

TMJ- Began feeling symptoms of TMJ in the jaw, which I have never felt in my life before...Could barely open my mouth and eat. Ridiculous in nature and painful...seems to be slowly subsiding.

FATIGUE...Seems like I am always tired, never have ANY energy at this point.

Dry lips continue, dry skin on scalp is a daily annoyance now as well.

While some areas of the skin are clearing beautifully, other areas actually seem to be getting worse, or it might just be that the red marks are now surfacing. Either way, it seems that the red spots are darker in color now, and more noticeable. I am not a happy camper, but who knows, in a day or two it could be completely different.

DAY 40-45

Miserable on the meds...

Going to drop down to 40mgs per day again, not before taking a day or so off altogether.

SLEEP is horrible. Find myself awake for days at a time, unable to function in daily life. Missing days of work due to extreme fatigue. Joints, muscles and bones ache still. Lips are dry as usual. Acne hasn't done much at all recently.

On a good note, I am adding SEA SALT baths once per day to the regimen...hopefully it will speed things up

DAY 45-50

SLEEP is still an issue, though it has been minimally better....

Cramping, and muscle aches have continued to the point where I am only attending the gym 3

days per week. Fatigue and tiredness are constant...it's all too annoying.

Recently some depression has come on. Its been for a few days, and even with things going well in your life, it is apparently still there...I can tell it's the meds, cause I wake up in moods that I can't break. Plus not to mention that if things in your life go minimally wrong, the medicine seems to exaggerate this.

On a good note, my skin is really continuing to clear...looking much better, still got a ways to go, but the progress is definite.

DAY 50-75

The medicine is really starting to kick in now...the acne is not really existent at all...just alot of red marks under the skin. The doctor says this is inflammation and it is going to take a year to fade!!!! Terrible news for me. Doctor told me to lather on 30SPF lotion and actually start tanning mildly.

Blood work came back o.k, though my BP is a little bit high...Oddly enough I have more blood volume, and this is visibly noticeable by the fact that I have veins EVERYWHERE, places I never even knew veins traveled...but my doctor says this is o.k

SLEEP, is still terrible!! This is THE WORST side effect. Insomnia is a son of a bitch.

Joint aches, muscle aches have gotten MUCH MUCH better, though they are bad some days.

I have a tear in my KNEE tendon.....This does not please me as I have NEVER had knee or joint problems until this medication. A few weeks back I heard my joints popping, and my right knee had some discomfort FOR NO REASON. So I wake up one day, my whole knee is black, blue, and several other colors,and the tendon is clearly sticking out. I DID NOTHING on it in the previous week...I am 100% sure that this is caused by the ACCUTANE and from the lack of fluid in the joints, etc.....

So yeah, I am NOT HAPPY about this. I cannot do any lower body workouts, nor running, nor physical activities involving my legs, so yeah, NOT HAPPY.

Lips and skin are getting better, though some days they are still dry, but not compared to at first.

The accutane is not really negatively effecting my bodybuilding EXCEPT for the knee injury and EXCEPT for the sleeping/lack of energy/fatigue problem it presents.

My skin continues to get better each day, but I still haven't determined if this is all worth it in the end...

DAY 50-75

The medicine is really starting to kick in now...the acne is not really existent at all...just alot of red marks under the skin. The doctor says this is inflammation and it is going to take a year to fade!!!! Terrible news for me. Doctor told me to lather on 30SPF lotion and actually start tanning mildly.

Blood work came back o.k, though my BP is a little bit high...Oddly enough I have more blood volume, and this is visibly noticeable by the fact that I have veins EVERYWHERE, places I never even knew veins traveled...but my doctor says this is o.k

SLEEP, is still terrible!! This is THE WORST side effect. Insomnia is a son of a bitch.

Joint aches, muscle aches have gotten MUCH MUCH better, though they are bad some days.

I have a tear in my KNEE tendon.....This does not please me as I have NEVER had knee or joint problems until this medication. A few weeks back I heard my joints popping, and my right knee had some discomfort FOR NO REASON. So I wake up one day, my whole knee is black, blue, and several other colors,and the tendon is clearly sticking out. I DID NOTHING on it in the previous week...I am 100% sure that this is caused by the ACCUTANE and from the lack of fluid in the joints, etc.....

So yeah, I am NOT HAPPY about this. I cannot do any lower body workouts, nor running, nor physical activities involving my legs, so yeah, NOT HAPPY.

Lips and skin are getting better, though some days they are still dry, but not compared to at first.

The accutane is not really negatively effecting my bodybuilding EXCEPT for the knee injury and EXCEPT for the sleeping/lack of energy/fatigue problem it presents.

My skin continues to get better each day, but I still haven't determined if this is all worth it in the end...

Sorry to hear about the knee. Seems as if I get injured more since I'm off accutane when it comes to joints and stuff. Like one day I bent my foot wrong, and it hurt when I walked on it for like two weeks.

DAY 75-125

Ok, so I am almost completely done with my cycle of accutane

The last month and a half have been very very very difficult to deal with...Bouts of depression, and DAILY joint aches, bone pain, muscle aches, etc, etc, etc.......

The Bone and Joint Pain is unbearable. My doctor won't prescribe me pain meds, so I have been trying to get by with OTC meds, and sometimes I can get something stronger that will help. The pain is the about as bad as when I broke my shoulder bone in three places a few years ago...but it's more constant.

Joint Pains are unbearable. Wrists, fingers, elbows, knees, and now my LOWER BACK is in tremendous pain all day every day. Getting out of bed is hard because I hurt so much I can barely stand up some mornings.

ON A GOOD NOTE, my skin really cleared more since month 4-5 than in the entire first 4 months. I would say that I am 90% clear on my chest and back...the only remaining irritations, are under the skin red marks, and they are fading away, more and more daily. I do not have a SINGLE pimple anywhere on my body...again the only remaining marks are red discolored marks beneath the skin which the dermatologist says will take 6-12 months to clear. I am beyond happy with the way that my skin looks. I am in my last month, and have changed my dosage to 20mgs EVERY OTHER DAY, due to the pains I am having with bones and joints.

Even taking days off at the gym does not help. The bone and joint pains are there regardless. For this reason, I am only making the gym a few days a week, and even that is almost unbearable.

SLEEP is still a problem, and I wake up in my sleep in pain, which leaves me tired and irritable almost EVERY SINGLE DAY. I CANNOT WAIT TO STOP TAKING THIS MEDICATION.

IS IT WORTH IT????

I still can't really say. My skin is looking amazing again, that much is true, but what I have gone through for the last few months has been slow and tedious torture, so I don't really know. Maybe once I am not in CONSTANT PAIN and have slept for more than an hour before waking up, I will "think" that it was worth it, but right now, with the pain I am in, I cannot say for sure it was worth it. I truly hope these aches and pains end when I finally discontinue the meds. I now understand what people with arthritis and cancer patients with constant bone pain feel like, its terrible. I should be on high dose pain meds, like I said, I have broken bones before and been in less pain.......

25 more days, I will report how things are.