Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
adultfemale

Pregnant and can't use acne meds

I am six weeks pregnant and stopped using all acne meds. I have very bad acne on face and back. I never used accutane because the chance of getting pregnant. Now that i am, I'm not sure if I can continue using BP, salysatic acid, or other over the counter products. Has anyone been pregnant and what did you do to help control your acne? I've had three miscarriages so I don't want to take any chances.

Well, I used BP sometimes through my pregnancy, but not very often, so I can't say how much it affected my pregnancy. I would think the OTC stuff is ok, but check w/your doc to make sure.

When I was pregnant I had horrible morning sickness so I did what was advised. I ate mostly whole grain cereals and other starches. Now I know that too many starches and particularly whole grains REALLY aggravate my skin (I only figured this out in the past couple years). No wonder my skin looked like Crappola.

I was actually miserable during my pregnancies because of the nausea and acne. My acne actually went to the bottom of my back! If I ever have another baby I'll be sure not to live on 'healthy' cereals. They only caused me major blood sugar swings too which increased the nausea. Pregnancy should be a happy time.

:clap: Congratulations on your pregnancy! My skin really cleared up while I was pregnant, but I started breaking out again after my daughter was born. I'm nursing so I can't take anything either. It was getting progresively worse so I tried the Clear Skin Regimen. I've been on it for 6 weeksish now and its really starting to work. I'm almost totally clear now, just some red spots. Yeyyy. My doctor had no problem with me using bp. I would give it a try if I were you. Good luck!!!!

check with your ob/gyn about using any acne medications. He/she knows your medical history and such and should be able to guide you.

for such a thing like this, please do not take advice from a forum, you need to see a derm or a gynaecologist, or both.

for such a thing like this, please do not take advice from a forum, you need to see a derm or a gynaecologist, or both.

I agree with this

...and congratulations!

Don't be so condescending. I'm sure she already is seeing an OBGyn. During pregnancy doctors can't really prescribe anything strong for acne for obvious reasons. One is basically given no advice other than to use salicylic acid and suffer through it. If somebody had told me that all the grains, fruits and sugars were causing my acne when I was pregnant, I would have been forever grateful. Lowering carbs is perfectly safe during pregancy anyhow. Many OBGyns do advise pregnant patients to eat fewer carbs to control excessive weight gain and gestational diabetes. IMO, they should also recommend this for acne.

Don't be so condescending. I'm sure she already is seeing an OBGyn. During pregnancy doctors can't really prescribe anything strong for acne for obvious reasons. One is basically given no advice other than to use salicylic acid and suffer through it. If somebody had told me that all the grains, fruits and sugars were causing my acne when I was pregnant, I would have been forever grateful. Lowering carbs is perfectly safe during pregancy anyhow. Many OBGyns do advise pregnant patients to eat fewer carbs to control excessive weight gain and gestational diabetes. IMO, they should also recommend this for acne.

taking advice from people you dont know, from forums and pregnant with a child, already had 3 miscarriages, not a good idea...

taking advice from people you dont know, from forums and pregnant with a child, already had 3 miscarriages, not a good idea...

You're still condescending. How do you know she will just take advice and do whatever people say? She is probably here to see how other people dealt with their pregancy acne under the guidance of their OBGyn. She can always bring that information back to her doctor. Don't be so knowledge phobic. There are tons of substandard doctors out there and finding out what other womens' doctors did with them is always a smart idea. Taking advice without question isn't.

You're still condescending. How do you know she will just take advice and do whatever people say? She is probably here to see how other people dealt with their pregancy acne under the guidance of their OBGyn. She can always bring that information back to her doctor. Don't be so knowledge phobic. There are tons of substandard doctors out there and finding out what other womens' doctors did with them is always a smart idea. Taking advice without question isn't.

I guess I should clear my questioning up. I am only asking for opinions, not advise and am curious on what other pregnant woman have used to help with their acne. I do see a doctor, but doctors have different opinions. My doc said it's ok to use Benzoyl Peroxide, however I read there could be some dangers. My asthetician told me not to use salycic acid. My dermatologist prescribed me benzaclin (bp with clyndamicin)and azelic acid cream and said these should be fine but there has been no testing on pregnant woman, therefore he can't say it is 100% safe. Right now I am using a BP wash every other day and just making sure I keep my skin clean. I'm too nervous to use anything else right now. I thank everyone for your responses. ;)

I am six weeks pregnant and stopped using all acne meds. I have very bad acne on face and back. I never used accutane because the chance of getting pregnant. Now that i am, I'm not sure if I can continue using BP, salysatic acid, or other over the counter products. Has anyone been pregnant and what did you do to help control your acne? I've had three miscarriages so I don't want to take any chances.

Ask your doctor for advise on this subject. I would be very careful with what you use. Your doctor would have the best advise and since you have had miscarriages in the past, be that much more careful. Congrats on your pregnancy. Good luck!

Congratulations dear!!!!!!!!

I remember that while i was pregnant i showed my obgyn the proactiv products, and asked if i could used them. His response was that even if the ingredients on the list look safe, he did not know if there was any unknown chemicals on it. So he told me no. But i was lucky and cleared much of my pregnancies. Just be careful and follow your doctor's order. I wish you luck and a healthy baby!