Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mrs Jenkins

Does acne make you more sensitive to other less-than-perfect people?

I'm with Mrs Jenkins here. I can't believe how many people here who have a problem they might be able to manage, but not cure (i.e. acne) don't understand that that's pretty much the exact same situation for a lot of overweight people. I apply BP all over my face twice a day and spend probably an hour taking care of my skin every day, but that's a commitment I chose to make. I don't think it would be fair for clear-skinned people to tell me that my skin problems are my fault and to blame me if I didn't take care of my skin as diligently as I need to for it to be clear. But that's what a lot of posters on this thread are saying about overweight people! There are lots of people out there who appear to be normal weight, but in order for them to maintain that, they have to work out a lot more than the skinny people with good metabolisms do. A lot of naturally curvy women are like that, for example, I know so many girls who have to spend at least an hour at the gym every day to keep from looking fat. Is it so wrong if some people who realize that their choice is either to devote a lot of time/energy/money into sculpting their bodies or to cope with being overweight choose the latter option? It's no different than someone who decides they don't want to spend several hours a week applying topicals or dealing with accutane side effects or whatever.

First of all, how old are you? Most people have high metabolism when they are young. You probably can gain weight you just have to eat more. Most people don't have extremely high metabolism if you want to be skinny and not fit then sure high metabolism is good but if you wanna add some muscles it might not be the best thing. Still if they stopped eating more than their body needed they wouldn't be fat.

I'm 20, and I'm about 10kg underweight for my height. My dad is skinny, all my dad's bro's are skinny, my grandfather in skinny. My bro is skinny, female side of the family? Not so lucky..

Just reaffirming it.. Since I suspect you're asking because you wan't to try and beat my concrete positivity about my metabolism into submission.

I'm with Mrs Jenkins here. I can't believe how many people here who have a problem they might be able to manage, but not cure (i.e. acne) don't understand that that's pretty much the exact same situation for a lot of overweight people. I apply BP all over my face twice a day and spend probably an hour taking care of my skin every day, but that's a commitment I chose to make. I don't think it would be fair for clear-skinned people to tell me that my skin problems are my fault and to blame me if I didn't take care of my skin as diligently as I need to for it to be clear. But that's what a lot of posters on this thread are saying about overweight people! There are lots of people out there who appear to be normal weight, but in order for them to maintain that, they have to work out a lot more than the skinny people with good metabolisms do. A lot of naturally curvy women are like that, for example, I know so many girls who have to spend at least an hour at the gym every day to keep from looking fat. Is it so wrong if some people who realize that their choice is either to devote a lot of time/energy/money into sculpting their bodies or to cope with being overweight choose the latter option? It's no different than someone who decides they don't want to spend several hours a week applying topicals or dealing with accutane side effects or whatever.

How is it the same? You actually compare eating huge amount of foods that your body doesn't need to not taking accutane that could cause a serious health risk? TBH I don't believe you, most people don't have to go the gym just to not be fat, eating healthy is enough. Of course if your friends eat alot of food or snacks they will have to get rid of that extra energy somehow or else the body will store it as fat, then going to the gym is a must if you wan't to keep fit and healthy.

There's a diffrence between not doing anything to get a better looking skin and actually doing something to destroy your own body.

First of all, how old are you? Most people have high metabolism when they are young. You probably can gain weight you just have to eat more. Most people don't have extremely high metabolism if you want to be skinny and not fit then sure high metabolism is good but if you wanna add some muscles it might not be the best thing. Still if they stopped eating more than their body needed they wouldn't be fat.

I'm 20, and I'm about 10kg underweight for my height. My dad is skinny, all my dad's bro's are skinny, my grandfather in skinny. My bro is skinny, female side of the family? Not so lucky..

Just reaffirming it.. Since I suspect you're asking because you wan't to try and beat my concrete positivity about my metabolism into submission.

No I'm just saying for most people they don't have high metabolism through there entire life.

How is it the same? You actually compare eating huge amount of foods that your body doesn't need to not taking accutane that could cause a serious health risk? TBH I don't believe you, most people don't have to go the gym just to not be fat, eating healthy is enough. Of course if your friends eat alot of food or snacks they will have to get rid of that extra energy somehow or else the body will store it as fat, then going to the gym is a must if you wan't to keep fit and healthy.

There's a diffrence between not doing anything to get a better looking skin and actually doing something to destroy your own body.

You seem to be under the impression that one has to eat ridiculous amounts of food to become overweight. Obese, maybe, but for a lot of people becoming overweight doesn't have to take a lot of extra calories--shitty genetics will do all the work for more people than you're admitting. You're unfairly dismissing this point and placing all of the blame for every extra pound squarely on the person bearing it. You're lucky that you don't struggle with your weight, but for a lot of overweight people, it takes more than cutting calories down to the level that YOU eat to achieve a normal weight. My poor little brother eats maybe 2000 calories a day, is active and plays sports and does outdoor stuff all the time, and he's a 180 lb 5'7" 14 year old. You think it's all his fault that he's twice the size of some of his scrawnier friends? I can tell you, it's not, but you're clearly one of those asshole health snobs who is beyond reason. I'm sorry, but the answer isn't always just "eating healthy". There are a lot of things to gain from eating right, but it's not going to fix everything.

You seem to be under the impression that one has to eat ridiculous amounts of food to become overweight. Obese, maybe, but for a lot of people becoming overweight doesn't have to take a lot of extra calories--shitty genetics will do all the work for more people than you're admitting. You're unfairly dismissing this point and placing all of the blame for every extra pound squarely on the person bearing it. You're lucky that you don't struggle with your weight, but for a lot of overweight people, it takes more than cutting calories down to the level that YOU eat to achieve a normal weight. My poor little brother eats maybe 2000 calories a day, is active and plays sports and does outdoor stuff all the time, and he's a 180 lb 5'7" 14 year old. You think it's all his fault that he's twice the size of some of his scrawnier friends? I can tell you, it's not, but you're clearly one of those asshole health snobs who is beyond reason. I'm sorry, but the answer isn't always just "eating healthy". There are a lot of things to gain from eating right, but it's not going to fix everything.

When I was younger I could eat more and not gain alot of weight but when I started to get older(17-18) I started to gain alot of weight whenever I ate chocolate etc. I was at around 80 kg on 184 cm thats about 176 pounds @ 6'. Alot of which werent muscles I might add... When I started to notice that I gained weight I cut down on my intake of calories and started to excersise more than I already did(I ride my bike alot but I didn't when it was off-season). I barely eat any candy/snacks/chocolate etc at all, maybe once or twice a month and I eat healthy and excersise often. It's not easy for me to keep in shape.

I seriously doubt it's luck that's keeping me from gaining weight. If so my luck has for some reason changed since I started excersising more and eating healthier. I'm pretty sure most scientists would agree it isn't luck.

It's important that you eat right, ie eating 2000 kcal of chocolate won't do your body much good. As long as you use the same amount of calories you take in you will not put on any weight. Eating 2000 kcal per day sounds actually as he isn't eating enough condsidering he is also excersising. But I wouldn't know for sure since I'm no expert on childs diet. Your brother is however overweight and that isn't good. I truely believe that if your brother would eat healthy, salads, products containg wholegrain, non processed meats, fruits instead of candy and continue excersising that he could get out of his overweight problem.

When I was younger I could eat more and not gain alot of weight but when I started to get older(17-18) I started to gain alot of weight whenever I ate chocolate etc. I was at around 80 kg on 184 cm thats about 176 pounds @ 6'. Alot of which werent muscles I might add... When I started to notice that I gained weight I cut down on my intake of calories and started to excersise more than I already did(I ride my bike alot but I didn't when it was off-season). I barely eat any candy/snacks/chocolate etc at all, maybe once or twice a month and I eat healthy and excersise often. It's not easy for me to keep in shape.

So all you have to do is stop eating chocolate/snacks and exercise to keep in shape? You should feel lucky to have such a great metabolism.

Remember the cousin I mentioned in the first post, the one who was a fat child? Well, now she is a fit 'normal sized' young woman. You might think this is a happy success story, but think again. She works out 3 hours a day (after a long day of work). She is hungry all the time because the minute she starts eating a regular amount of food she puts on weight (no, this didn't slow her metabolism). She's put herself through liposuction and god knows what else. She is not a very happy person (who would be with that life), but she isn't heavy anymore. She lives her life terrified of gaining weight. She refused to live in a dorm because of cafeteria food and doesn't want to be pregnant in the future. That's what it takes for some people to be slim. Accuse me of lying or exaggerating if you want to, but it is the truth. BTW, my cousin got checked at the doctor and was told that her metabolism was in the normal range :confused: .

While yes, Genetics do play a large role in who we are and how we appear whether that may be a higher likelyhood to grow fat or to have acne, it is not an excuse to let yourself be consumed by this problem. No quarter should be given to people who are fat and continue to overeat and not exercise. This is just like most of us would not have alot of sympathy for an acne-prone person to be rubbing there face in grease and not washing for weeks at a time. Everyone has thier own problems, in most of our cases it is acne (among other potential things) you learn to deal with them and move on. And btw the acne that most people have here is alot harder to get rid off then droping 30 pounds.

So all you have to do is stop eating chocolate/snacks and exercise to keep in shape? You should feel lucky to have such a great metabolism.

All I have to do to keep in shape and most people with a normal metabolism has to do is eat healthy(that is eating things that are healthy for your body(such as wholegrain, fruits and vegetables etc), not just cutting out the unhealthy parts).

Remember the cousin I mentioned in the first post, the one who was a fat child? Well, now she is a fit 'normal sized' young woman. You might think this is a happy success story, but think again. She works out 3 hours a day (after a long day of work). She is hungry all the time because the minute she starts eating a regular amount of food she puts on weight (no, this didn't slow her metabolism). She's put herself through liposuction and god knows what else. She is not a very happy person (who would be with that life), but she isn't heavy anymore. She lives her life terrified of gaining weight. She refused to live in a dorm because of cafeteria food and doesn't want to be pregnant in the future. That's what it takes for some people to be slim. Accuse me of lying or exaggerating if you want to, but it is the truth. BTW, my cousin got checked at the doctor and was told that her metabolism was in the normal range :confused: .

Working out 3 hours a daily seems abit much to me. There really is no point in going around hungry all the time. I suggest she eats healthy. If she eats lets say wholegrain pasta with something else with protein in it or some kind of salad or whatever healthy thing she likes to eat, she should eat so that she doesn't feel hungry. No one has to eat cafeteria food if they don't want to, I don't eat it. Apperently the doctor says her metabolism is fine which leads me to the conclusion that someone is either exaggerating, lying or just don't know how to keep their body fit in a proper way. It's not good to starve yourself and then start eating again, it's very bad. It's not good to excersise too much either. Your cousin could have a large stomach since she used to be fat and used liposuction which could be a factor too, unfortuneatly that is one of the sideeffects of not taking control of your body in time.

It really is very simple if you eat more than your body needs you will put on weight. It is therefore good to eat things that doesn't give you an instant boost and then make you very tired(certain sugars for example).

Working out 3 hours a daily seems abit much to me. There really is no point in going around hungry all the time. I suggest she eats healthy. If she eats lets say wholegrain pasta with something else with protein in it or some kind of salad or whatever healthy thing she likes to eat, she should eat so that she doesn't feel hungry. No one has to eat cafeteria food if they don't want to, I don't eat it. Apperently the doctor says her metabolism is fine which leads me to the conclusion that someone is either exaggerating, lying or just don't know how to keep their body fit in a proper way. It's not good to starve yourself and then start eating again, it's very bad. It's not good to excersise too much either. Your cousin could have a large stomach since she used to be fat and used liposuction which could be a factor too, unfortuneatly that is one of the sideeffects of not taking control of your body in time.

It really is very simple if you eat more than your body needs you will put on weight. It is therefore good to eat things that doesn't give you an instant boost and then make you very tired(certain sugars for example).

Yeah, the doctor says her metabolism is in the normal range, but obviously the tests were wrong. Nobody should have to go through what she goes through just to stay thin. My cousin is very aware of what's healthy, too aware in fact. She eats mostly just organic vegetables and fruit. Ummm...and there is a point in going hungry all the time. She has to or she will gain weight immediately. It is not something she wants to do, but she feels she has to in order to be appear attractive. I don't know exactly how much she eats to keep from being chubby, but it is probably 800 calories or less. Nobody is lying. I just wanted to give you an example of what is like for a naturally fat person to stay thin. Obviously your acne has taught you nothing.

Yeah, the doctor says her metabolism is in the normal range, but obviously the tests were wrong. Nobody should have to go through what she goes through just to stay thin. My cousin is very aware of what's healthy, too aware in fact. She eats mostly just organic vegetables and fruit. Ummm...and there is a point in going hungry all the time. She has to or she will gain weight immediately. It is not something she wants to do, but she feels she has to in order to be appear attractive. I don't know exactly how much she eats to keep from being chubby, but it is probably 800 calories or less. Nobody is lying. I just wanted to give you an example of what is like for a naturally fat person to stay thin. Obviously your acne has taught you nothing.

Umm what? What exactly has my acne got to do with my knowledge of exercise, fitness and weight? I seriously doubt she is eating less than 800 kcal a day. Since you obviously have no clue what you are talking about I see no reason to discuss this any further with you. If your cousin eat 800 kcal per day(I'm guessing you meant kcal and not calories) she would be constantly getting thinner until she would probably not be able to get out of her bed. No one excersising that much could possibly stay alive very long on only 800 kcal a day. If her excersise is to be effective at all she needs to eat more or else she would just collapse trying to excersise.

Do you find that you are more understanding to the overweight or those who have a big nose or bad frizzy hair?

I feel that I am. I find myself defending the overweight even though I've never had a weight problem. I get particularly irritated when people say that fat people just sit and eat all day. It is similar to the erroneous assumption that those with acne never bathe, drink sodas and wear lots of cosmetics. Those assumptions are ignorant and mean.

However, I find that some people with certain genetic issues are still very intolerant to those who don't share their particular defect. My very fat cousin would make fun of my skin growing up. Her fat body didn't teach her anything about kindness. She would even make fun of other fat people as if she weren't.

No I don't feel any empathy for people who are overweight, it's their own doing.

:snooty: People all have a different metabolism. I can eat anything and everything, and I'm never going to be huge or look really over-weight, but some people can just eat a normal enough diet and still have problems with weight. It all depends of the person. Not all larger people sit around doing nothing, stuffing their faces with junk food. Though I agree there are a lot who do, it's not fair to judge or assume that of everyone.

Fat people can lose weight if they want to. Skinny people can put on weight if they want to. They are just going to have to put real effort into it. Sure the metabolism plays a big part here but it's not something that can't be overcome. The real question is are they willing to make the kind of effort that will make them "average" and do they even want it? Some do, some don't. It's really their choice and I don't think we should tell them what they are supposed to look like. I'm sure everyone is aware by now of the health risks that come with being overweight. That's what the doctors are for in any case.

I don't think we should express hatred toward people based on the way they look, or pretty soon we will start frowning upon non-beautiful people for not wanting to have plastic surgery.

P.S. I am currently on a 6-meals a day diet and a strict gym schedule. I am finally gaining weight... and I thought I would always be 140lbs.

Fat people can lose weight if they want to. Skinny people can put on weight if they want to. They are just going to have to put real effort into it. Sure the metabolism plays a big part here but it's not something that can't be overcome. The real question is are they willing to make the kind of effort that will make them "average" and do they even want it? Some do, some don't. It's really their choice and I don't think we should tell them what they are supposed to look like. I'm sure everyone is aware by now of the health risks that come with being overweight. That's what the doctors are for in any case.

I don't think we should express hatred toward people based on the way they look, or pretty soon we will start frowning upon non-beautiful people for not wanting to have plastic surgery.

P.S. I am currently on a 6-meals a day diet and a strict gym schedule. I am finally gaining weight... and I thought I would always be 140lbs.

exactly. in 99% of cases people who can't gain weight think they eat tons, but in reality they're not eating much at all. or what they considers to be alot, is simply not enough. and it goes the other way for overweight people.

yes, i try not to be rude or think bad things about overweight people, less attractive people, people with diseases.

they never asked for that to happen to them, just like we didn't ask for acne.

yes, i try not to be rude or think bad things about overweight people, less attractive people, people with diseases.

they never asked for that to happen to them, just like we didn't ask for acne.

I really don't see how you can put overweight people into the same category as people with diseases. If you eat too much you will get overweight unless you eat the right things and excersise and you will gain muscles instead. Becoming overweight can't really come to a surprise to anyone and is definetly something that can be avoided, if it werent possible to avoid how come there are less people in lets say Sweden that are overweight compared to the US. Does Sweden have abnormal amounts of luck? Some people on this forum :confused:

I really don't see how you can put overweight people into the same category as people with diseases. If you eat too much you will get overweight unless you eat the right things and excersise and you will gain muscles instead. Becoming overweight can't really come to a surprise to anyone and is definetly something that can be avoided, if it werent possible to avoid how come there are less people in lets say Sweden that are overweight compared to the US. Does Sweden have abnormal amounts of luck? Some people on this forum

Well, a lot of kids are overweight simply because their parents are not feeding them healthy. Their addiction to junk food and improper eating habits translate into their adult life. It's not so easy to change your ways after you've been raised improperly. Just think about it, if every child was properly fed and put into sports, they would grow up healthy and would likely continue to lead a healthy lifestyle once they are on their own. So although it's not impossible to change, some people are just more fortunate than others when it comes to being fit due to a proper upbringing. And don't forget that some children are simply destined to be overweight thanks to the genes of their parents unless some special effort is put into weight loss. So while other "normal" kids can be enjoying all the foods that kids like to eat, an overweight child will probably have to avoid almost all of them to not gain weight. And that is, again, the responsibility of the parents.

I have no sympathy for the "but it's my metabolism" response from fat people. I don't think my genetics have changed since I started eating less and exercising more. I think what changed is that I eat less and exercise more. Surely some people do pile on flab more easily than others, but I don't think it's rocket science to understand that if they ate fewer calories than they burn even they would lose weight even if they have to work harder for it.

santacruz is absolutely right all the way through -- the "cure" for being a porkster is simple: put the fork down and get up off your backside.

If we're honest, I think anybody would rather be overweight than have acne, because the solution is in your own hands. I've done it! In the time that I will have been waiting for accutane by the time I finally get it in July (6 months), I have made a huge amount of progress simply by changing my diet and exercise routine. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for acne. For that reason, I feel sorry for people with blameless ailments (like acne, down's syndrome, anything genetic), but not for people who cause their own problems (i.e. over-eaters who are fat, alcoholics who get liver disease, those types).

In my mother's home there are pictures of my Russian ancestors from the turn of the century. These people came to this country because they were extremely poor. They didn't have extra money to spend on food, just enough to survive. They didn't eat junk food nor did they eat anything non-organic (everything was organic in those days). They walked everywhere because they didn't drive. And guess what? They were all short and fat. They lived very long, healthy lives and were happy people. It was completely genetic. I believe my cousin inherited those genes, but I was lucky not to. But if I had, I wouldn't go what she goes through to stay thin. I'd probably just let my body be at its natural size.

I feel for all people, I do I best to treat people how the treat me no matter what they look like on the out side, I think my acne has a alot to do with that..... maybe in a way, my acne is making me a better person and helping me to see live from diffrent angle......

In my mother's home there are pictures of my Russian ancestors from the turn of the century. These people came to this country because they were extremely poor. They didn't have extra money to spend on food, just enough to survive. They didn't eat junk food nor did they eat anything non-organic (everything was organic in those days). They walked everywhere because they didn't drive. And guess what? They were all short and fat. They lived very long, healthy lives and were happy people. It was completely genetic. I believe my cousin inherited those genes, but I was lucky not to. But if I had, I wouldn't go what she goes through to stay thin. I'd probably just let my body be at its natural size.

If they were fat apperently they ate more than they needed and even though they walked everywhere they apperently didn't walk enough to burn all the calories they ate.

If they were fat apperently they ate more than they needed and even though they walked everywhere they apperently didn't walk enough to burn all the calories they ate.

fat people arent always that way just because they dont walk enough. i know overweight people who do more physical excersize than me and still weigh much more.

fat people arent always that way just because they dont walk enough. i know overweight people who do more physical excersize than me and still weigh much more.

Oh really?

Have you read the thread? There are 2 factors that determine if you will gain weight, lose weight or stay at the same weight. 1) How much energy your body uses(excersising makes your body use more) 2. How much energy you take in(in forms of food, snacks etc).

So just because some excersise more than you doesn't mean they don't eat alot more than you.

Oh really?

Have you read the thread? There are 2 factors that determine if you will gain weight, lose weight or stay at the same weight. 1) How much energy your body uses(excersising makes your body use more) 2. How much energy you take in(in forms of food, snacks etc).

So just because some excersise more than you doesn't mean they don't eat alot more than you.

and had you read my thread earlier, you'd know i eat fast food just about every day for lunch.

Oh really?

and had you read my thread earlier, you'd know i eat fast food just about every day for lunch.

And your point being!? You apperntly don't eat too much food, if you did you would gain weight.