Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mrs Jenkins

Does acne make you more sensitive to other less-than-perfect people?

Do you find that you are more understanding to the overweight or those who have a big nose or bad frizzy hair?

I feel that I am. I find myself defending the overweight even though I've never had a weight problem. I get particularly irritated when people say that fat people just sit and eat all day. It is similar to the erroneous assumption that those with acne never bathe, drink sodas and wear lots of cosmetics. Those assumptions are ignorant and mean.

However, I find that some people with certain genetic issues are still very intolerant to those who don't share their particular defect. My very fat cousin would make fun of my skin growing up. Her fat body didn't teach her anything about kindness. She would even make fun of other fat people as if she weren't.

Do you find that you are more understanding to the overweight or those who have a big nose or bad frizzy hair?

I feel that I am. I find myself defending the overweight even though I've never had a weight problem. I get particularly irritated when people say that fat people just sit and eat all day. It is similar to the erroneous assumption that those with acne never bathe, drink sodas and wear lots of cosmetics. Those assumptions are ignorant and mean.

However, I find that some people with certain genetic issues are still very intolerant to those who don't share their particular defect. My very fat cousin would make fun of my skin growing up. Her fat body didn't teach her anything about kindness. She would even make fun of other fat people as if she weren't.

No I don't feel any empathy for people who are overweight, it's their own doing.

I think acne has sensitized me a little more.....if I see people who are overweight or have certain other physical attributes that stand out, I won't be as quick to judge or be negative. I might glance at them and say to myself, "Whatever...I guess we all have our struggles". :blush:

I will say, for most people, acne is probably not an issue. A little BP or a visit to the derm./prescription drugs will clear them up....so they don't really understand someone with persistent acne. They'll say it's our fault. :unsure:

If I see an overweight person, I'm sure they've tried dieting and exercising...but they're probably inconsistent with their regiment, or lack will-power, or don't have enough time, family genetics, health issues, age-older you get the harder it is to lose weight....ect. :boohoo:

Now, if I see someone with a screwed up looking mouth, you know- missing teeth, grey color, then that's gross & disgusting :crazy: and that person needs to make a trip to the dentist! :w00t: Certain things you have more control over!!

No I don't feel any empathy for people who are overweight, it's their own doing.

same here. if it's a genetic problem, then yes i am more sensitive to it than pre acne.

same here. if it's a genetic problem, then yes i am more sensitive to it than pre acne.

But genetics ARE a huge factor for some people being overweight...

i'll agree that some people are blessed with faster metabolisms. 99.9% of overweight people can do something about it. of course there is that VERY small % that have thyroid issues, etc. but, putting tons of food in your mouth isnt genetic! if you're eating healthy and/or the right portions you're not going to become obese.

Exactly. Many fat people will admit to binging on many cookies when they feel sad. But the truth is that many skinny people also eat junk when they feel stressed too. It just doesn't show up on them.

Exactly. Many fat people will admit to binging on many cookies when they feel sad. But the truth is that many skinny people also eat junk when they feel stressed too. It just doesn't show up on them.

yup. gotta love my metabolism.. i eat 3 eggo waffles a day for breakfast, then eat fast food almost every day for lunch because of school.. we have open campus but the only places nearby and places that you have enough time for are fast food places. and i still have a great body, lucky me.. im sure there are people who weigh twice as much as me that eat healthier

of course i do excercise regularly, if i didnt i might be fat by now :P

The reason they are overweight is because they eat more than their body need.

Many feel that that's the reason why people in the west have acne. They eat too much. All the extra food causes an anabolic state which causes acne.

I think that people get acne for pretty much the same reason that other people become overweight -- horrible diets growing up. Most people in North America eat pretty much the same way growing up. Some of us end up with acne (simply because we have acne-prone skin), some end up overweight (because of a slower metabolism or whatever), some "lucky" ones don't have either problem.

And yes, I get offended when someone says that someone else is ugly or points out some flaw, whether it's about skin or not.

Fatness or rather chubiness is common in my family among men. I began to eat right and work out. I beat the system.

Its possible to lose eight and fight your genetics it just may be harder,

you're both morons. k thanks

please tell me how i'm a moron. i used to be obese myself, so dont say "WAHHH YOU DONT HOW IT IS!!!!"

lets go over this again:

1) whos eating over maintenance calories causeing you to gain fat? YOU

2) it may be genetic to have a slow metabolism, but some dedication and willpower and fight that.

3) there are people who truely have a disease (thyroid problem) but you must realize this is an EXTREAMLY small % of overweight people.

Ya, when i was in grade 8 i didnt have any acne yet, and i used to make fun of an overweight girl behind her back with my friends, and thinking back on it now i feel like an asshole for doing so, and i feel that my acne is a result of it. kinda like karma. if i could go back in time i would have never made fun of her, it was a horrible thing to do.

same.. in all honesty fat people disgust me :confused:. thats not to say i dont feel sorry for the VERY few people who cant control it ie. genetics, but 99% of them just plain over-eat. their own fault, so why should i?

skin conditions, disabilities etc, yes im sure a bit. does make think alot about how minor acne is in some ways compared to a lot of thigns, doesnt stop me feeling shit about it tho.

Many feel that that's the reason why people in the west have acne. They eat too much. All the extra food causes an anabolic state which causes acne.

That's the biggest load of bs I have ever heard. I'm not overweight, I excersise and eat healthy and still I get acne. Anabolic state? Without an anabolic state there would be no point in excersising(unless for the fun of it).

If there was a surefire way to stop my acne I would try it.

you're both morons. k thanks

Why? You think I should feel sorry for someone who can't control their eating? You don't think I have the urge to eat unhealthy from time to time? If they don't have the willpower to change I will not feel sorry for them.

:rolleyes:

Anyways, In response to the original question.. Yes, I reckon I'm more sympathetic to the .. phsyically unfortunate, I guess you could call us.. them? Meh.

I know the agony of acne first hand, surely if I insulted someone about acne I deserve to have rabid dogs eat both my hands, or something equally horrifying. In any half-decent person, the experience of acne would make you a kinder person... I think I'm no exception.

:rolleyes:

Anyways, In response to the original question.. Yes, I reckon I'm more sympathetic to the .. phsyically unfortunate, I guess you could call us.. them? Meh.

I know the agony of acne first hand, surely if I insulted someone about acne I deserve to have rabid dogs eat both my hands, or something equally horrifying. In any half-decent person, the experience of acne would make you a kinder person... I think I'm no exception.

Physically unfortunate, your implying that overweight has something do with being unlucky it hasn't. It's their own doing it's not similar to having a disease(unless you really do have one which makes them obese, which of course rarely is the case).

Guest Realist

I love how this thread turned into a topic about overweight people. Good job guys... good job. :rolleyes:

Anyway, yes, acne does make me more empathetic towards people with other physical problems. I think suffering through anything can make us all sensitive in one way or another.

Physically unfortunate, your implying that overweight has something do with being unlucky it hasn't. It's their own doing it's not similar to having a disease(unless you really do have one which makes them obese, which of course rarely is the case).

Well consider me.. I have a stupidly fast metabolism, I can't gain weight at all. Compared to the obese, aren't I lucky? We both put in the same amount of effort, they get a shitty result. Thus, "physically unfortunate". If your perspective on chubby people is the one I'll get if I start going to the gym, well I'd rather be skinny than buff.. :whistle:

Well consider me.. I have a stupidly fast metabolism, I can't gain weight at all. Compared to the obese, aren't I lucky? We both put in the same amount of effort, they get a shitty result. Thus, "physically unfortunate". If your perspective on chubby people is the one I'll get if I start going to the gym, well I'd rather be skinny than buff.. :whistle:

First of all, how old are you? Most people have high metabolism when they are young. You probably can gain weight you just have to eat more. Most people don't have extremely high metabolism if you want to be skinny and not fit then sure high metabolism is good but if you wanna add some muscles it might not be the best thing. Still if they stopped eating more than their body needed they wouldn't be fat.

I am really shocked at how many posters have no sensitivity towards those with weight problems. When I go to my gym, I see multiple fat people at any one time and 9 times out of 10 they are working out harder than everybody else. They aren't like the naturally skinny girl who does one weight machine and then spends 15 minutes flirting with a cute trainer.

You really believe that your acne is just bad luck, but the overweight people brought it on themselves? Just to let you know, many clear skinned folks think the exact same thing about you. They think you brought it on yourself by not washing or eating low class fast food.

I am really shocked at how many posters have no sensitivity towards those with weight problems. When I go to my gym, I see multiple fat people at any one time and 9 times out of 10 they are working out harder than everybody else. They aren't like the naturally skinny girl who does one weight machine and then spends 15 minutes flirting with a cute trainer.

If I see someone with a weight problem at my gym or somewhere else doing excersise I think it's great that they are trying to change and live a healther lifestyle. However it's their own fault that they got overweight so I won't feel sorry for them.

You really believe that your acne is just bad luck, but the overweight people brought it on themselves? Just to let you know, many clear skinned folks think the exact same thing about you. They think you brought it on yourself by not washing or eating low class fast food.

Luck? No I don't believe it has anything do to with luck. I'm pretty certain that there are factors(luck not being one of them) that has given me my acne. However I have no idea what is causing my acne. I'm doing my best to get rid of it and keeping my body in shape.

If clear-skinned folks think I have acne just because they think I don't wash my face, then they are just ignorant. It's not the same with people who are obese. They have in fact eaten more than their body need.