Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
theend

26 in the tropics

Hi,

I'm 26 and I moved from a very dry climate to a tropical climate 10 months ago. I've been lucky enough to always have good skin in the past, but after being here for several months my skin started to have BAD breakouts. I'm living in a developing country and their aren't many other white people here- the local population has a very low incidence of acne (so I get comments like "what's wrong with you? do you have the measles?). I'm uncertain if the intense sun or the humidity is causing the trouble. I'm in a bit of a quandry. I have a facial mosturizer with sun block, but I don't use it because it seems to exasberate my breakouts. The sun is very intense here and I burn. Also, I read you shouldn't use harsh products but everything here molds (even the skin gets a type of fungus). Adding to these troubles is the scarcity of a variety of consumer goods. Does anyone have any suggestions for sun block? moisturizer that won't encourage fungal growth? or homeopathic treatments?

Thanks

It sure sounds like you don't have the right skin type for your environment. You should buy a block of salt or fine salt and cover your face with a film of salt. Sleep with this every night and wear it even during the day. The salt is very anti-fungal and bacterial. It will take care of the itch if you have a fungal infection. I'm half Jewish and my skin likes a desert environment the best.

I learned to control my oil output with diet, but this salt regime worked for me even before I discovered the carb/oil connection.

"Environment. Chefs and sauna masseurs find that their hot, humid environment worsens acne – perhaps by causing further blockage of the pores. Similarly, acne may worsen if you move to a hot country. For this reason, the armed forces are reluctant to enlist individuals who have moderate/severe acne, in case they have to be posted to the tropics."

"Environment. Chefs and sauna masseurs find that their hot, humid environment worsens acne – perhaps by causing further blockage of the pores. Similarly, acne may worsen if you move to a hot country. For this reason, the armed forces are reluctant to enlist individuals who have moderate/severe acne, in case they have to be posted to the tropics."

Uh, I can tell you that last part of the quote is entirely wrong. I was in the Air Force for awhile, and trust me, there were plenty of people w/moderate to severe acne serving as well. And yes, they did deploy to hot places!!!

yeah i highly doubt that the armed forces cares if its troops develop worsening acne from a new post. they consider these things a vanity problem not a life threatening one [as anyone with military-based insurance can tell you]

personally my skin loves hot &humid weather, i never got any pimples while i was staying in singapore for 6months and all my years growing up in new zealand i had pimples all the time due to the cold and now i live in sunny sydney with summer temps up to 40 degrees (104 farenheit) my skin has been much better. i also love hot weather and dont deal well with cold and i get more dry skin and dandruff etc in cold weather, i think diff people just suit different climates