Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Miss Josette

Is there anything for Rosacea that can be purchased in stores?

I'm currently using prescription medication that's designed for the treatment of acne rosacea. It contains sulfer & soidum sulfacetamide.... I really need these type of topicals because I feel I have mild rosacea, and as such, I'm staying away from things like BP that can make rosacea worse. I have plenty of refills on my prescriptions but I don't currently have health insurance, so these two meds will cost a fortune unless I can change that... I'm going to try, but I was wondering if anything like this is sold in stores.

I know that Prosacea is one topical, and I'm going to look into it, but it would be helpful if anyone could tell me if there's anything else in stores with sulfur/sodium sulfacatmide...or something that treats acne rosacea.

Guest Gentle~Rain

Clearasil Adult care has this:

Active Ingredients: Resorcinol 2% (Acne Medication), Sulfur 8% (Acne Medication)

Inactive Ingredients: SD Alcohol 40-B, Bentonite, Fragrance, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Iron Oxide, Isopropyl Myristate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Simethicone, Talc, Titanium Dioxide, Water

You could try something like this even though it doesn't have soidum sulfacetamide.....it's only like $4.99 a tube. If it doesn't work you haven't lost much....you could also call your Doc and ask them if there is anything over the counter that is comparable to what you are using, or the pharmacy tech, they will know.

i ordered the prosacea online and im still awaiting it, i went to the derm once and yes the roscea cream he prescribed me was like 70 dollars and i just couldnt afford to get refills, so i havent had help since. also i dont like putting things on my face such as bp and or peels and exfoliators because it does make my rosacea verrrrrrrry bad and im flared up for almost a day. then thats horrible because what can i use on my few little pimples i still get and acne scarring? i dont really break out or anything anymore i just have bad roscea and some mild scarring. but my proscaea should be here monday and ill try it out for a few days and let you know how it goes!!

Rosacea............

The benzoyl peroxide is known to have a bleaching effect on your face. So give that a go if you can tolerate it.

Aloe vera is anti-inflamitory.

Fish-oil (omega 3) is great.

Any of the cortisol derivatives. So over the counter..... hydrocortisone.

Evercise.

Oh, and if you have any left over minocycline, use it. It'll get rid of rosacea for good. Only if you have rosacea, not a redish face that's caused by something else.

Watch your sodium intake! Use as little salt as you can, and keep the high-sodium foods down.

Since your problem is most likely acne, and you've probally googled 'red face', I don't think you have rosacea. Rosacea is usually for middle-aged to elderly people. Your skin is most likely reacting to the medication (give it time, it'll get better). But if you really do have rosacea (chances are it isn't, but it can happen), try the stuff I listed. Good luck, I know how it feels.

Jacks0n

I do believe that I have a mild form of it, and that if I'm not careful, it could get worse when I get older. I don't remember specifically when my skin started always having a pink tone, but it does, even when I'm not using any acne topicals. I haven't used any drying or irritating topicals since I came off the Regimen months ago, and the pink skin tone (around my cheeks, under my eyes), has stayed with me. In brighter lighting, it's very noticible.

BP turned my face horribly red and made me look like I had a severe sunburn. My skin felt hot and sometimes it burned. I had no idea about it at the time, but topicals such as BP supposedly can aggrevate rosacea. I used Minocycline for acne before, and it will not get rid of anything for good because I obviously could not stay on it forever, and I'm so glad I'm off oral antibiotics (that was the only one I ever tried, and I'll never try another). It wasn't really even that effective on the acne, let alone any facial redness. I've been a low sodium person for the last few years and I'm a huge water drinker. It has no affect on my skin tone and acne.

I always thought that my problem was just acne - but I've always complained about my uneven, blotchy skin, no matter how many treatments I tried - or didn't try. I saw pictures of rosacea sufferers and thought that it couldn't be me because the pictures were of people whose problem was severe. I do, however, show the symptoms - pink face, flush easily, eyes water and irritate easily. And the best acne treatment I ever used was something that's effective in treating not only acne, but rosacea as well.

Gentle Rain

thanks for the suggestions. I'll look at the Clearasil next time I'm in the skin care aisle. Luckly, my prescription cleanser came in a huge bottle, so I think it will last for quite a while. I didn't think about calling the pharmacy tech! Don't know why.