Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sownz25

seeing no results w/ keflex

well about 7-8 weeks ago my derm put me on keflex for my moderate acne, i had never read of very many people being put on it but i figure he knows what hes doing. So far I have seen zero difference in my skin, i go back may 15 so if it still hasnt done anything what should i expect to hear? btw ive been on duac and differin forever and its never done anything.

I'm confused..my doctor put me on keflex today for an infection in my eyebrow..I didn't know it did anything for acne.

yea i had never heard of it for acne...bleh i just want some accutane, what are my chances ill get it next time if i havent improved at all?

i had a really nice doctor who gave me what i asked for

but got another one who gave me benzoyl peroxide which i had before and made me get a rash!

i persistently told him i didnt want to try it again but he would not listen

you have to be firm and tell him what YOU want

after all ur acne is effecting u in many ways

be strong and tell him tht u think accutane is the best bet

if not just keep going back until he gives u it

or find a new dermatologist

:)

x

Keflex is a broad-spectrum antibiotic, which explains it's many uses.

If you haven't seen any results by now, chances are, it won't do it for you. That doesn't necessarily mean another antibiotic won't work (temporarily, at least). If your derm doesn't suggest Accutane on your next visit and suggests another antibiotic, ask to add a retinoid (like Retin-A or Tazorac). If you still don't improve in a month or two, beg for Accutane!

Good luck!

Keflex is a broad-spectrum antibiotic, which explains it's many uses.

If you haven't seen any results by now, chances are, it won't do it for you. That doesn't necessarily mean another antibiotic won't work (temporarily, at least). If your derm doesn't suggest Accutane on your next visit and suggests another antibiotic, ask to add a retinoid (like Retin-A or Tazorac). If you still don't improve in a month or two, beg for Accutane!

Good luck!

helpacne is exactly right. It's not unusal for a physician to write cephalexin for acne as it is a broad-spectrum cepholasporin antibiotic. Some people have great success with this drug, just as some people do with tetracycline or doxy. As mentioned though, given your results and the amount of time youv'e been on it, you will not likely see much greater results. Before you give up on it however, please make sure you're taking it correctly...

I've taken antibiotics for post-surgery, bronchitis, sinusitis, laryngitis, pharyngitis, mastitis, ear infections, strepp throat and acne.

Of all the things I've taken antibiotics for, acne is the only thing that's never responded.

While there are people who get some clearing for taking antibiotics, they seem to me, in general, to be fairly ineffectual for the treatment of acne. Considering all the risks of taking a long term course of antibiotics as well as the side effects, I cannot see the point of treating acne with them. Unless the course of antibiotics is short term and for the purpose of acute infection in conjunction with acne, I think antibiotic use for acne is a bad idea.

In all honesty, I think that some doctor's approach to treat all acne with long term antibiotic use without considering any other treatment, nothing short of laziness, and borderline irresponsible.

I've taken antibiotics for post-surgery, bronchitis, sinusitis, laryngitis, pharyngitis, mastitis, ear infections, strepp throat and acne.

Of all the things I've taken antibiotics for, acne is the only thing that's never responded.

While there are people who get some clearing for taking antibiotics, they seem to me, in general, to be fairly ineffectual for the treatment of acne. Considering all the risks of taking a long term course of antibiotics as well as the side effects, I cannot see the point of treating acne with them. Unless the course of antibiotics is short term and for the purpose of acute infection in conjunction with acne, I think antibiotic use for acne is a bad idea.

In all honesty, I think that some doctor's approach to treat all acne with long term antibiotic use without considering any other treatment, nothing short of laziness, and borderline irresponsible.

I agree with your thoughts for the most part, susan, and the pesky anomoly of resistance is part of what makes their job so difficult. The problem, as I'm sure you already guessed...is that in many cases there are NO other options.

Basically, you get only a handful of choices:

BP

antibiotics (both topical and oral)

topical retinoid

accutane (oral retin-a derivative)

Of course, there are many variations and a couple of outlier products, but what else have you got. Most physicians will try to weigh the risks and explain them as best as possible based on your skin type, however certain skin types don't fair well with drugs like accutane...and, although severe, actually might respond better to a course of antibiotics. Most physicians probably feel that they would rather chance a resistance to a drug like doxy as opposed to puttin someone through a course of accutane, which involves almost certain side-effects (of course, this varies), possible serious side effects (although this gets blown way out of proportion, IMHO), various blood tests, and the expensive cost.

It all depends on you and your physician. I've mentioned on other threads that I've spoken to doctors who will almost immediatley recommend accutane...and believe me, my ance is not bad (mild to fairly moderate - with very oily skin). My wife, on the other hand, has severe acne and those same physicians have said she does not have the right skin type, and was directed toward the usual antibiotic regimins.

I do understand your point of view, however, in that the growing problem with resistance is quite scary. Very few think about the long term, and only care about one thing...getting rid of that acne...by any means neccessary. Even many physicians think this way...sad but true

It all depends on you and your physician. I've mentioned on other threads that I've spoken to doctors who will almost immediatley recommend accutane...and believe me, my ance is not bad (mild to fairly moderate - with very oily skin). My wife, on the other hand, has severe acne and those same physicians have said she does not have the right skin type, and was directed toward the usual antibiotic regimins.

I see your point about antibiotics being one of few oral treatments available. I have seen many people posting here love their results. I just think long term it's a bad idea and it can result in just as many side effects and have just as my risks, even pertaining to the liver, as accutane.

Let us not forget the option of hormone therapy. Birth control pills for women and Aldactone for both men and women.

Your wife's situation is the result of the laziness I'm referring to. The doctor would rather not deal with the iPledge guidelines so he goes the path of least resistance, patient be damned. The iPledge discriminates against women, making it very difficult for women in child-bearing years (an approx. 40-50 year span of a woman's life). It's assumed that all adult women are too stupid and too irresponsible to take birth control and refrain from getting pregnant while taking Accutane, so they are going out of their way to keep us all from a highly effective treatment that will be offered to a man without batting an eye. Even the blood tests mentioned in all the iPledge information focus soully on pregnancy tests. Obviously, a non-issue for a male.

I think some doctors put many of their patients through the various courses of antibiotics and topical treatments in order to prove the necessity for accutane. By jumping through the hoops, maybe the iPledge process won't be so difficult.....I'm not sure.

What I do know is that, if a patient is resistant to antibiotic treatment for acne, there is no point of taking it and all the risks and complications that come with it. IMO

I see your point about antibiotics being one of few oral treatments available. I have seen many people posting here love their results. I just think long term it's a bad idea and it can result in just as many side effects and have just as my risks, even pertaining to the liver, as accutane.

Let us not forget the option of hormone therapy. Birth control pills for women and Aldactone for both men and women.

Your wife's situation is the result of the laziness I'm referring to. The doctor would rather not deal with the iPledge guidelines so he goes the path of least resistance, patient be damned. The iPledge discriminates against women, making it very difficult for women in child-bearing years (an approx. 40-50 year span of a woman's life). It's assumed that all adult women are too stupid and too irresponsible to take birth control and refrain from getting pregnant while taking Accutane, so they are going out of their way to keep us all from a highly effective treatment that will be offered to a man without batting an eye. Even the blood tests mentioned in all the iPledge information focus soully on pregnancy tests. Obviously, a non-issue for a male.

I think some doctors put many of their patients through the various courses of antibiotics and topical treatments in order to prove the necessity for accutane. By jumping through the hoops, maybe the iPledge process won't be so difficult.....I'm not sure.

What I do know is that, if a patient is resistant to antibiotic treatment for acne, there is no point of taking it and all the risks and complications that come with it. IMO

I can completely see your point of view, and agree.

Many women are neglected treatment via Accutane routes because of laziness, but not all. Some simply don't have the right skin type. But yes, it is bit easier for men to get an Accutane script (of course, not in all cases).

Just as an aside: I do understand some doctor's concern. Both they, and I, have seen women continue to get pregnant on this drug, regardless of what they tell us they are doing. I have personally seen the devastating effects this drug can have on a fetus...babies 'born' (or not at all) with abrnomalities, flippers, etc. Truly awful. Of course being exposed to this many times would cause a hesitation in anybody's mind, even a physician's mind.

As sad as it is, a small population of women have ruined it for the rest...

Personally, if my wife is eventually cleared for a drug like this, I would just say wait it out. If both her or I needed sex that badly, that's why god gave men opposable thumbs and women vibrators, lol ;):clap: .Am I telling everyone no sex even though you're using two methods of birth control? No. But this is just what I would do. I've seen the reprecussions, and to see something like that first hand is quite scary.

As sad as it is, a small population of women have ruined it for the rest...

Exactly. ITA

Personally, if my wife is eventually cleared for a drug like this, I would just say wait it out. If both her or I needed sex that badly, that's why god gave men opposable thumbs and women vibrators, lol ;):clap: .Am I telling everyone no sex even though you're using two methods of birth control? No. But this is just what I would do. I've seen the reprecussions, and to see something like that first hand is quite scary.

LOL. A dildo can be a woman's second best friend. mmhmm

I know that women can and do get pregnant while taking birth control pills -- it is only 98% effective (thereabouts). While many of those cases are just nobody's fault, a lot of women are part to blame for not taking them correctly and not using back up methods, especially mid-cycle. Most women, like me, knowing they were taking a medicine that could cause severe birth defects, would be extra cautious throughout the treatment. But alas, common sense often does not run rampant among accutane users, if the threads on this board are any indication...

But alas, common sense often does not run rampant among accutane users, if the threads on this board are any indication...

I know some of the users on this board are young...but...thank you. This had to be said. :clap: