Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
me286

How long before improvements are seen on Accutane???

Hi everyone,

After suffering from Acne since i was 11, im now 20 and have just been prescribed Roaccutane. I started the medication on wednesday 19th April 2006 on 40mg a day. I was prescribed very strong anti-biotics before i started taking it and my skin totally cleared from severe acne in about 48 hours it was amazing!!! Since starting 'R' it has gone severe again which is getting me down more than ever :( but its changing by the hour. I want to know from other peoples experiences how long does it take for your skin to start to get better???

I do want totally clear skin but its that bad that i just want any improvement and want to know when this is likely to happen???

Scarring or marks wont even bother me just so long as the spots are clearing.

Any advice will be great :)

Thanks everyone

XxXx:)

It depends on the person & the dosage(depending on your weight)

Unless you weigh a lot, 40mgs sound like a regular treatement for a moderate to severe case, and if they plan to increase it to 60mgs, your chances of getting initial breakouts are high.

Mine was like that 40, then 60mgs after the first month and for the rest of the course. The real improvements were between the second and third month. So don't be concerned if by the second month your skin doesn't look that great. If by the third month you are not clearing up, they probably will increase your dosage or extend your course for more than 5 months.

The average is that by the third month you should not have significant breakouts (maybe like a small one, once in a while) You will still have red marks because of all the previous breakouts though, but at least if you are a woman, make up should cover it.

I saw mild improvments in just 2 weeks... however i was on a very high dosage 120mm, after about 3 /4 weeks you should start to notice mild improvments. I noticed real big improvments though at about the 2 month mark. i noticed that most of the redness didnt go until about 3 months in.

I saw mild improvments in just 2 weeks... however i was on a very high dosage 120mm, after about 3 /4 weeks you should start to notice mild improvments. I noticed real big improvments though at about the 2 month mark. i noticed that most of the redness didnt go until about 3 months in.

The first day I took my first pill, I didn't get another pimple. I just got off Accutane and haven't had a pimple through-out or after being off it.

I know it's hard to believe, and taking a pill just can't STOP acne in seconds, but for me, it really seeminly did. When I woke up the next day, my skin wasn't oily and from then on, it was smooth skating.

It all depends, some people clear right after the 1st month, some clear after 3 -4 months, sme wont even clear after 5 months course but then continue to get clear after that. I got clear after the end of month 5 ... and yes, it does get worse before it gets better, so don't feel down, chin up and time will fly by !!

yeh when i was on roaccutane it says it usually makes acne worse for the first 6 -8 weeks so dont woory about it

Hi,

Mine started improving, and I mean improving by not getting anymore new pimples, from around 1 1/2 months. I had a second initial breakout just before I started clearing. And since then my skin is just getting better.