Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
peapod

Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant

I am trying to help my lovely 19 y/o daughter who has frequent spots. At the moment she just has clogged pores which annoy her greatly and tempt her to pick which is so bad for the skin. I wondered whether the Microfoliant might help her but I a bit concerned that it might cause "purging". Has anyone expreienced purging with this product? She has never used anything containing salicylic acid before and I am afraid of buying her something which could scar her very fair skin.

This is taken from Paula Begoun's site (cosmeticcop.com). She gave the product an "ok" rating, and said that it was overpriced.

Daily Microfoliant ($45.00 for 2.6 ounces) is a good, though standard, detergent-based mechanical scrub that uses both silicates and oatmeal as the exfoliants. It also contains salicylic acid, but the pH of this cleanser is too high for it to be effective as an exfoliant. The papain it contains has no research showing it to be effective in cosmetic formulations for exfoliation. It also contains a mix of plant extracts that are anti-irritants and potential irritants.

Daily Microfoliant ($45.00 for 2.6 ounces) is a good, though standard, detergent-based mechanical scrub that uses both silicates and oatmeal as the exfoliants. It also contains salicylic acid, but the pH of this cleanser is too high for it to be effective as an exfoliant.

Perhaps if the salicylic acid is ineffective it won't cause breakouts!! Don't care about the cost - just want to help her.

Perhaps if the salicylic acid is ineffective it won't cause breakouts!! Don't care about the cost - just want to help her.

Ok... but what would be the purpose of using the product if it doesn't exfoliate? I've used the product, and the "grains" disappear within seconds so there is very little manual exfoliation, there is also no chemical exfoliation since the SA is not effective... so basically you're left with an overpriced cleanser :confused:

Here is a link to a great article that explains blackheads/clogged pores, it might help you.

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/article....EFER=SKIN&ID=71

Ah, so *that* is why it did absolutely nothing for my skin! :doh: I wouldn't bother, heaps of better products out there (probably)...hope you daughter's skin improves :) You're a good mum! :)