Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tare_lemon

Would acne even exist without testosterone (DHT)?

If my acne is hormone related, would it go away to a great extent if my body does not convert any of its testosterones into DHT? If yes, I'm guessing that if one can somehow lower his/her testosterone level and keep it at bay (prevent it from converting into DHT), then acne would gradually go away? Or am I wrong in this regard? Any inputs greatly appreciated...!

Yes, i dunno y noone ever talks about this but for me its been workin although it isnt always consistent overall my acne has gotten a lot better.

Basically up to december 05 i had terrible nodulocystic acne, and I thought about this connecton and how I havent been excercising nearly as much as i used to. So I've been running newhere from 6-8 miles a day since january and my acne has gone done significantly.

When you excercise initially ur testosterone levels go up while u exercise but after an hour or so ur testosterone levels start to level out and when after u stop exercising ur testosterone levels drop significantly. So in other words athleticically trained men have lower resting testosterone levels than untrained men.

I've also been taking Saw Palmetto for about 2 months, this stops testosterone from converting into DHT(another androgen than contributes to increased sebaceous gland size)

I am a great believer in this method so ask me any questions u have about this cuz I know a lot about how testosterone can affect acne..

Yes, i dunno y noone ever talks about this but for me its been workin although it isnt always consistent overall my acne has gotten a lot better.

Basically up to december 05 i had terrible nodulocystic acne, and I thought about this connecton and how I havent been excercising nearly as much as i used to. So I've been running newhere from 6-8 miles a day since january and my acne has gone done significantly.

When you excercise initially ur testosterone levels go up while u exercise but after an hour or so ur testosterone levels start to level out and when after u stop exercising ur testosterone levels drop significantly. So in other words athleticically trained men have lower resting testosterone levels than untrained men.

I've also been taking Saw Palmetto for about 2 months, this stops testosterone from converting into DHT(another androgen than contributes to increased sebaceous gland size)

I am a great believer in this method so ask me any questions u have about this cuz I know a lot about how testosterone can affect acne..

Thanks for replying~! I'm now really looking into treating my acne by lowering my testosterone (DHT). Do you think taking Saw Palmetto will help the same way Spiro does? That's because saw palmetto doesn't require prescription. Also, are you taking the saw palmetto in tincture form or capsules and in how many mg per day? thanks.

Saw palemetto will help hormonal acne.

Other things that would help is to start running (helps balance hormones) and control ejaculation frequency to 3 times week if you're a male as your body will produce less DHT testoserone bursts.

There was a study about a year ago which threw a monkey-wrench into the DHT-causes-acne theory. It showed that a potent inhibitor of 5a-reductase type 1 (that's the enzyme in sebaceous glands which converts testosterone into DHT) had no apparent beneficial effect on acne. A rather puzzling result, to be sure.

Bryan

If you a guy DO NOT go emssing with your testosterone levels you may mess up uoir whole adolesence or life, physically mess it up... as in you could grow breasts or something not quite as drastic.

There was a study about a year ago which threw a monkey-wrench into the DHT-causes-acne theory. It showed that a potent inhibitor of 5a-reductase type 1 (that's the enzyme in sebaceous glands which converts testosterone into DHT) had no apparent beneficial effect on acne. A rather puzzling result, to be sure.

Bryan

5a-reductase type 1 doesn't effect acne because its only the enzyme. DHT is what effects acne as it is stimulates the sebaceous glands thus increasing the size of them and producing more sebum. so by stopping testosterone from converting into DHT will help ur sebaceous glands produce less sebum.

If you a guy DO NOT go emssing with your testosterone levels you may mess up uoir whole adolesence or life, physically mess it up... as in you could grow breasts or something not quite as drastic.

Ok, first of all acne is most caused by free flowing testosterone (plasma testosterone) its not good to have too much of this testosterone because it will convert into DHT. And basically if ur gettin acne it means you have an excess amount of testosterone that the body cannot balance out, so doing stuff to lower ur resting testosterone will not mess up ur adolesence growth. Thats y females usually have acne breakouts during their time of the month because their testosterone levels increase and estrogen levels drop. This is also why men get worse acne than most women do, due to their amount of free testosterone.

Bryan

5a-reductase type 1 doesn't effect acne because its only the enzyme. DHT is what effects acne as it is stimulates the sebaceous glands thus increasing the size of them and producing more sebum. so by stopping testosterone from converting into DHT will help ur sebaceous glands produce less sebum.

Go back and CAREFULLY re-read what I wrote above. If you inhibit 5a-reductase, you stop the conversion of testosterone into DHT.

Bryan