Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
appleyard777

Pityrosporum Folliculitis

after 2 years it makes sense i have Pityrosporum Folliculitis because my what i thought body acne never responded to anything .... after some research i came up with this info.. and ill be going to my derm tomm and hopefully get on oral fluconazole or oral itraconazole.. ill let everyone know how it goes

For treatment of pityrosporon folliculitis I use either prolonged topical

imidazoles (preferably twice daily for at least 6-8 weeks) or oral

ketoconazole for at least six weeks (which is much more effective in my

experience).

http://www.dermnetnz.org/fungal/pityrospor...lliculitis.html

http://www.dermatlas.org/derm/result.cfm?D...sis=-1017087441

http://www.dermatlas.org/derm/IndexDisplay...geID=1689503733

IPB Image

as you can see in this image it looks so similar to acne... i have these exact bumps but not not that many

"This 30 year old man suffered from recurrent bouts of folliculitis on his trunk. The follicular pustules responded quickly to oral itraconazole."

it seems the best oral topicals are oral fluconazole oral itraconazole

I have this too. Please keep me updated as i have been debating oral antifungals. Im afraid of resistance though....ahhh. so annoying isnt it? I never had this till i went on tetracycline and doxycycline. Good luck at the derm!

I have this too. Please keep me updated as i have been debating oral antifungals. Im afraid of resistance though....ahhh. so annoying isnt it? I never had this till i went on tetracycline and doxycycline. Good luck at the derm!

ya i understand ya... i also ordered ZNP bar ... should be here tuesday we will see how that goes too... hopefully i can get this stuff cleared up i hate it!!

G'day guys,

New to the forum (21 year old male) . I have struggled with what I thought was body acne for nearly a year. It wasn't that bad until late last year when I spent a few weeks down at the beach and it really flared up. I thought this was strange because the salt water and sun usually cures my acne. Then I realised what it was recently.

Instead of acne, it was follicitis and it was made worse by me slathering on greasy sunscreen and sweating more than usual. It was at its worst only mild to moderate but I spend a fair bit of time at the gym and although it sounds vain, I feel like I don't spend hours at the gym each week to be embarrassed about taking my shirt off. I want to be proud of my body.

Anyhoo, I've been trying those salt water baths (1 per day) and they really help to make your skin look great and clear up any acne you may have. They are also very relaxing and good for muscle healing as I am a middle distance runner and frequently have sore joints and muscles. What the baths don't do very well however is clear up follicitis.

So like you *appleyard777*, I'm off to the doctor's tomorrow to get some pills. I'm also going to order Nizoral 2% shampoo on the internet as an ongoing treatment if i need it.

How bad is everyone's follicitis? Has anyone here had success with oral or topical treatment? Once I start I'll let everyone know hoiw I'm going.

Cheers

bambam australia -

thanks for the comments. I'm VERY curious as to whether or not my acne condition is bacterial, or pityrosporum folliculitis...

NOTE:

'Folliculitis' can have MULTIPLE causes: bacterial folliculitis is typically associated with a STAPH infection, or PITYROSPORUM folliculitis. BOTH tend to look similar, however their TREATMENTS differ significantly.

For bacterial folliculitis, you will be prescribed ANTIBIOTICS.

For pityrosporum folliculitis, you will be prescribed ANTI-FUNGALS (oral Nizoral, etc).

IT'S VERY important for you to ask your doctor to find out the TRUE source of your lesions. Because if you treat a FUNGAL infection with ANTIBIOTICS, then your condition could very well GET WORSE.

I am almost positive that my folliculitis is FUNGAL, as it ONLY started when I took tetracycline and doxycycline a few years ago. And while the acne on my face is 'OK' (not perfect, but not horrible), the acne on my body (specifically my chest and arms), BOTHERS ME GREATLY.

Topical treatment is going OK, but I'm not sure if it's helping as much as I want...so I may go to the doctor and get some anti fungal medication....as bad as this is, I'm even embarassed to go to the doctor because my acne on my chest is so bad and widespread. Just pinpoint dots everywhere, with some cysts here and there...

They say with oral anti fungal medication, you should see fairly rapid results.

I took another course of antibiotics recently and saw NO effect on my chest acne, which makes me further believe that I have a fungal infection.

So F' THIS SHIT. I'm sick of this garbage.

curiousz,

when you are talking about antibiotics for bacterial folliculitis, what antibiotics specifically are you talking about?

I am assuming that I will be perscribed anti-fungals as I too started having problems after taking minocycline for 6 months. I am quite sure I have pityrosporum folliculitis but I will soon be properly diagnosed.

As an aside note, minocycline has caused me far more problems that it has solved. I developed severe headaches that I have only just now gotten rid of and of course the follicitis that is mega stubborn. I went to my gp with a small acne problem on my back and she percribed this without a thought, without even suggesting anythinh less serious like a topical solution (which have since cleared any problems up). My advice to people taking tetracyclines is to take them for short periods of time and only if completely necessary as serious side effects usually take place only after long term use (ie over 6 months)

Cheers and thanks everyone for the helpful info.

I think I may have this

The past 2 years Ive had steady acne. Mostly my face and back, really bad cystic acne on my face. Ive been on Minocycline about a year and have been using differin gel and my face is practicaly clear and my back is great. Ive had 2 big breakouts lately on my chest, 1 about 1 month ago and it cleared up and one about a week ago and its small bumbs and whiteheads and isnt seeming to go away.

My derm prescribed me finecea to use on it, any suggestions? Im not even sure if its this or acne

when you are talking about antibiotics for bacterial folliculitis, what antibiotics specifically are you talking about?

All of them.

Tetracycline, Amoxicillin, Doxycycline, Minocycline...Any antibiotic that they will prescribe.

Make sure you get some oral anti-fungals and tell us how things go.

curiousz,

How is the topical lamisil going? is it greasy feeling? does the act of rubbing it on make you itch?

as my derm is always busy... i couldnt get an appointment till thursday... ill update thursday

Please do. Ill be looking for your update. Im going to the derm on the 2oth too so we can compare notes.

So my derm thought anti fungals will just delay the inevitable recourrence and offered accutane. I dont know if I want to go there again before i have kids though. I guess ill just manage for awhile.

So my derm thought anti fungals will just delay the inevitable recourrence and offered accutane. I dont know if I want to go there before i have kids though. I guess ill just manage for awhile.

yup well my derm was still convinced it was acne... prescribe me amoxicillin (kinda odd but i read it worked for some on here after i got home), eryth 2% pads, and benzoyl 6% wash.... oddly enough after i used the erthy pads last night and this morning my skin looked alot better.......ill update in the next few days

That is what I had.. or have. It is SUPER stubborn, so dont get depressed if it doesnt disappear right away or comes back when you finish the oral meds. With something severe you will probably need a good month or more of itraconazole at 200 mg/day. I have been trying ketaconazole and it wasn't enough for total clearance so i just switched to itraconazole. but then if i get out of the humidity, it disappears quickly. so... depending on what your environmental situation is, go somewhere dry!

Also, try gold bond powder. it is good to absorb sweat/skin oils - which is what this yeast feeds on.

good luck...

G'day guys,

New to the forum (21 year old male) . I have struggled with what I thought was body acne for nearly a year. It wasn't that bad until late last year when I spent a few weeks down at the beach and it really flared up. I thought this was strange because the salt water and sun usually cures my acne. Then I realised what it was recently.

Instead of acne, it was follicitis and it was made worse by me slathering on greasy sunscreen and sweating more than usual. It was at its worst only mild to moderate but I spend a fair bit of time at the gym and although it sounds vain, I feel like I don't spend hours at the gym each week to be embarrassed about taking my shirt off. I want to be proud of my body.

Anyhoo, I've been trying those salt water baths (1 per day) and they really help to make your skin look great and clear up any acne you may have. They are also very relaxing and good for muscle healing as I am a middle distance runner and frequently have sore joints and muscles. What the baths don't do very well however is clear up follicitis.

So like you *appleyard777*, I'm off to the doctor's tomorrow to get some pills. I'm also going to order Nizoral 2% shampoo on the internet as an ongoing treatment if i need it.

How bad is everyone's follicitis? Has anyone here had success with oral or topical treatment? Once I start I'll let everyone know hoiw I'm going.

Cheers

Hey, how exactly can you tell if you have folliculitis or just standard acne? I've been struggling with back acne for years. sometimes its real bad, sometimes it completely dissapears. It seems to do this regardless of what cleansers i'm using. I do recall though that when I used benzoyl peroxide on my back it would work really well when I used it consistantly, but if I missed even a day I would end up with another breakout. The picture you posted doesnt really look like what my bacne looks like. I seem to get a variety of whiteheads, cysts, and all that. thanks

Do any of you guys have uninflamed bumps form first and then get inflamed at some later date? Can bacterial follicultis start in uninflamed clogs or is that jus the fungal type? Really really need to know!