Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

Differen (Adapalene) query/theory

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

This isn't for my treatment of acne in particular, more of a general interest of mine.

I would like to know what people, who understand Adapalene's mode of treatment, think of using it say 1-2 times per week?

The largest concern with Adapalene is that it causes considerable irritation and discomfort. As far as i understand, it's almost always prescribed for daily use. In the p.m if i remember correctly. I feel that although it will obviously alter the effectiveness of the topical, it may also eradicate the undesirable side effects.

I actually have some samples that were once given to me. I'm considering an experiment on my chest, that doesn't really have much acne at all but does suffer from comedonal flare ups on and off.

I'm under the impression that the other benefit to Adapalene is that it speeds up the exfoliation cycle quite drastically, therefore improving the texture and tone of the skin. I'm thinking that usage of 1-2 times per week may not allow for this benefit to arise.

Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I doubt it'll have any real effect being used so infrequently. Differin is something that needs to be applied daily, I believe.

i've been on Differin for about a week, and it's been absolutely great to me so far, what i have noticed though is I can't use any kind of facial soaps that have acids in them, it makes my face peel. I don't even use any soap on my face, it just irritates it, so I just use warm water.

I actually was wondering the same thing (or at least something along the same lines). I haven't figured out if I want to use Differin or Green Cream - I have both right now. I noticed with Green cream, they advise you to start gradually to avoid irritation- 1-2 times a week, then 3 times a week, the every day, up to 2 times a day. I wonder why you would do this with the green cream and not the Differin?

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

I actually was wondering the same thing (or at least something along the same lines). I haven't figured out if I want to use Differin or Green Cream - I have both right now. I noticed with Green cream, they advise you to start gradually to avoid irritation- 1-2 times a week, then 3 times a week, the every day, up to 2 times a day. I wonder why you would do this with the green cream and not the Differin?

Quite possibly because alot of medical products lack that 'gently does it' approach. Or maybe certain Dermatologists have firmer techniques.

I actually saw my Dermatologist just 10 minutes ago (family friend) and he informed me that you can use Adapalene 1-2 times per week. The results will be far less, but in theory he believes that the side effects will also be greatly reduced. However, he believes that this would only be used to condition the skin to cope with more regular use.