Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hiya'll

Okay you kno the brand ivory soap?? Well my dad says that it's the purist soap out there and since I'm not doing nething to my face right now he wants me to wash it with that until I go to the derm in June. What do you guys think??? Thanks much.

Franny G!

I used to use it. I read once that Britney Spears uses it. It got me clear for a while, but it stopped working. I think it dried me out oil-wise, but it was just too harsh in the long run.

I use it and have for years my eye dr. told me to use it when I first got contacts because it rinses pure and doesn't leave a residue on your hands. I like it but I wash my face with just the soap and my fingers, just being gentle and not harsh on my skin has helped loads.

I have been washing my face three times a day with floor stripper (ok, ok....Ivory soap) for the past five weeks (almost six). I'm not crazy.....it was a bet with my crazy Russian coworker, who thinks Ivory soap it the be-all-end-all of acne treatments. Everyone in Russia uses it and no one there ever had oily skin or acne...Imagine that.....an entire country completely devoid of even the mildest cases of acne.......

So being my cynical self I proposed a bet that the Ivory would get rid of my moderate (yet cystic) acne, and cure my oily skin problems.......my blackheads would disappear and I'd never get a cyst again.... (we have 20$ and sushi on the line)

So I quit my Duac Gel, I quit my retin-a micro, and I came off my birth control pills (in the event that they control my acne somewhat....the Russian doesn't believe in birth control pills). An ammendment to the bet was added just two weeks in, when I developed a nasty cyst that needed a cortisone injection....we agreed it's be okay so I wouldn't be scarred.......another cyst was injected just this week......

So I had a huge breakout of pustular acne about a week in....so my coworker suggested I apply alcohol to it.....three times a day......so I got a bunch of dried out nasty scab things, and a bunch of nasty redmarks....

About a week in I noticed that I was developing fine lines near my eyes and around my mouth. I actually ahd crows feet....at 24.....I still have them. My face is red and itchy and flaking, yet still oily.....

Now I have literally thousands of whiteheads covering my face (not to be confused with pustules). My face feels and looks like sandpaper......thoudsands of tiny bumps everywhere.....and it's itchy and red....these comedoes will become pustular/papular/cystic lesions over the next month or two....I've almost got a comedoe in every pore on my face......this should be an interesting summer.......

Since I work in a lab I can actually have a little fun with this and make my coworker look like a total moron (which she totally is). I shaved a little off of a bar...added a little warm water, and tested the pH....10.2....holy shit......the pH of my hand (I just held onto the pH probe) was 4.9.......

At pH of 10 the epidermal lipids (that arent stripped away by the harsh soap) become rigid, and cause swelling and irritation of the stratum corneum......not to mention copious amounts of transepidermal water loss.......Ivory soap is proabably the worst thing you can use to wash your face with.....

No wonder she looks about 15 years older than she actually is.......

So good luck with the Ivory soap.....

YIKES!!!! 3 times a day? is she crazy? I only wash at nite with it and I know the ph is high but it works for me - go figure.

Oh and Labgirl81, I have a question about this head and shoulders thread to use for acne, it had a horrendeous affect on my skin, I did it for two days and had a nasty break out from it and its taken me a week to get rid of most of the effects and I still have uber dry patches from it. What do you think about using it for acne?

YIKES!!!! 3 times a day? is she crazy? I only wash at nite with it and I know the ph is high but it works for me - go figure.

I was instructed to wash whenever my skin got oily. That would be like 10 times a day, which was unacceptable, so we selled on morning, lunchtime and night (after work). It sucks....I can wait until Monday!!!

Oh and Labgirl81, I have a question about this head and shoulders thread to use for acne, it had a horrendeous affect on my skin, I did it for two days and had a nasty break out from it and its taken me a week to get rid of most of the effects and I still have uber dry patches from it. What do you think about using it for acne?

Well the pyrithione zince is a decent anti-microibial agant, so potent that most of the formulas that contain it don't ever require additional presevation. It is anti-fungal and anti-bacterial. The active ingredient acts as a preservative. Could it help acne?.....I doubt it's as effective as BP, but it does kill a great deal of surface micrflora on the hair and scalp and skin as well........

That being said....should you wash your face with head and shoulders?......um...no.....

Here's an IL for the Extra Sensitive one:

Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Cocamide MEA, Zinc Carbonate, Glycol Distearate, Dimethicone, Cetyl Alcohol, Polyquaternium 10, Fragrance, Magnesium Sulfate, Sodium Benzoate, Ammonium Laureth Sulfate, Magnesium Carbonate Hydroxide, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Benzyl Alcohol, Sodium Chloride, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Sodium Xylene Sulfonate, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate

SLS and SLES are way high up on the list, and most likely higher than what you would ever find in a cleanser, since this is applied to the hair, not the skin. No woner your all dry....it damaged your epidermal lipids way more than the Ivory soap did........I'm guessing that the dimethicone is a high molecular weight one (to coat the hair, which will coat your face if you wash your face with it). This formula also has many other preservatives that are actually irritating ones if appled directly to skin (and they are rinse off preservatives only.....not approved for leave on products).

I'd keep the shampoo off my face......but that's just me....

I'm not crazy.....it was a bet with my crazy Russian coworker

Bet or no, you're still crazy, omg!

It should get you a lot closer to the Accutane prescription though, heehee.

That's what I'm hoping for......back to whatever cleanser is lying around on Monday!!!!

Maybe Cetaphil....or a period of no washing for a few days.....At least I'll be able to repair my epidermal barrier a little so all these lines and wrinkes go away....Even my boyfriend noticed them.....He was like...."OMG!! You look like old and stuff" (Coming from a 32 year old who gets carded to see rated "R" movies).......

My breakouts haven't been too bad. I had to have a cyst injected this week. And I have a few more that are on there way out.......I hope they won't scar (they were more nodules then cysts, since I've only had them for a about 3-6 weeks). All the little bumps on my face will be full blown pustules, nodules or cysts sometime in late May or early June....I'm gonna make a appt wit my derm and with a different one next week....and I'll aim for mid-June.......

you would of probably gotten better results with washing with the soap once a day.

Um......the idea wasn't to get results. It was to get 20$ and a free sushi lunch. If I wanted clear skin, I would have never used Ivory Soap....that shit is way harsh........

I think if the soap has glycerine in it its less harsh.

I'm currently using Dettol soap, after Dial ran out, and still clear.

It is palm oil based, I've also used the coconut oil based version from another country.

Dettol soap has glycerine and it has antibacterial biocide Choloroxylenol (and Triclosan in UK).

I was warned off SLS, SLES, Soap, triclosan, Cholroxylenol (PCMX) and cholrhexidine Gluconate (Hibiclens) etc by this board. I thought fuck it in the end used them and to my surprise they are all very mild non irritating, calming and cleared me.

BP IS THE BIGGEST PILE OF SHITE IV'E EVER TRIED!

SA whilst milder than BP is still crap as well!

It took 2 months fo my skin to recover from that crap BP, in fact my friends said your skin looks way better when I did nothing after BP even tho I had zits.

It is palm oil based, I've also used the coconut oil based version from another country.

Dettol soap has glycerine and it has antibacterial biocide Choloroxylenol (and Triclosan in UK).

I was warned off SLS, SLES, Soap, triclosan, Cholroxylenol (PCMX) and cholrhexidine Gluconate (Hibiclens) etc by this board. I thought fuck it in the end used them and to my surprise they are all very mild non irritating, calming and cleared me.

It took 2 months fo my skin to recover from that crap BP, in fact my friends said your skin looks way better when I did nothing after BP even tho I had zits.

You know, I did notice that my skin looked better if I didn't use BP. My face was always kinda red and dull looking when I used BP. The first week off it my skin looked amazing.....before all hell broke loose....

I haven't washed since friday morinig....I'm quitting a bit earlier, because I know I won. Aside from the thousands of tiny bumps and the remnents of the cyst I had injected this week, and the zit right in between my eyebrows, my face actually looks good. I skipped my midday and night washings last night.... I'm was oily as hell, but last night I put a little makeup over my oil slick, and my skin looked awsome.......I had this glow, and my skin looked so healthy....I could only see the bupm in between my eyebrows.....besides that my skin looked perfectly clear.....still bumpy to the touch, but it looked clear.

I'm going to just do noting for the next two months and see what happens.......no dount I'll have a massive breakout as soon as those microcomedoes that are forming become actual acne lesions......

But I'll enjoy my "healthy looking" clear skin until then........

You know, I did notice that my skin looked better if I didn't use BP. My face was always kinda red and dull looking when I used BP. The first week off it my skin looked amazing.....before all hell broke loose....

I haven't washed since friday morinig....I'm quitting a bit earlier, because I know I won. Aside from the thousands of tiny bumps and the remnents of the cyst I had injected this week, and the zit right in between my eyebrows, my face actually looks good. I skipped my midday and night washings last night.... I'm was oily as hell, but last night I put a little makeup over my oil slick, and my skin looked awsome.......I had this glow, and my skin looked so healthy....I could only see the bupm in between my eyebrows.....besides that my skin looked perfectly clear.....still bumpy to the touch, but it looked clear.

I'm going to just do noting for the next two months and see what happens.......no dount I'll have a massive breakout as soon as those microcomedoes that are forming become actual acne lesions......

The problem is your skin is recovering from BP, so its not fair to blame the soap.

I know you hate phenols, zinc pyrithione, SLS etc. It could however be other ingredients that were annyoing you when you tried them. In another thread on Head and Shoulders people are having great success, even tho it has SLS.

I'd strongly suggest you try Dettol soap or Dial soap/bodywash or even Head and Shoulders. Just massage on damp face/neck rubbing with finger tips for a minute and then rinse off. I also use very hot water to dampen face and rinse and then finally rinse with cold. It takes off all the sebum and the munching bacteria and leaves a bacteria fighting chemical. My skin is just looking amazing and I'm now 4 months in. I actually prefer the Dettol soap to the Dial bodywash as the soap isnt moisturising and leaves my skin squeaky clean. I thought the flakes I used to get with the pimples and boils were dryness, but its actually a fungal infection like atheletes foot/dandruff. Sheboric dermatitis to be precise. Funny I never had acne when I was a teenager or early 20's, and LOL I used Head and Shoulders then on my face and hair, my troubles began when I wanted to use baby gentle stuff and less of anything.

I think running 3 times a week and having Vit C rich Orange Juice with meals has helped deaden my inflammatory reactions. I drink tea/coffee between meals now, which increases essential antibacterial mineral absorption at meal times as does the orange juice. Red meat is good as well as it's high in iron.

The problem is your skin is recovering from BP, so its not fair to blame the soap.

I know you hate phenols, zinc pyrithione, SLS etc. It could however be other ingredients that were annyoing you when you tried them. In another thread on Head and Shoulders people are having great success, even tho it has SLS.

I'd strongly suggest you try Dettol soap or Dial soap/bodywash or even Head and Shoulders. Just massage on damp face/neck rubbing with finger tips for a minute and then rinse off. I also use very hot water to dampen face and rinse and then finally rinse with cold. It takes off all the sebum and the munching bacteria and leaves a bacteria fighting chemical. My skin is just looking amazing and I'm now 4 months in. I actually prefer the Dettol soap to the Dial bodywash as the soap isnt moisturising and leaves my skin squeaky clean. I thought the flakes I used to get with the pimples and boils were dryness, but its actually a fungal infection like atheletes foot/dandruff. Sheboric dermatitis to be precise. Funny I never had acne when I was a teenager or early 20's, and LOL I used Head and Shoulders then on my face and hair, my troubles began when I wanted to use baby gentle stuff and less of anything.

I think running 3 times a week and having Vit C rich Orange Juice with meals has helped deaden my inflammatory reactions. I drink tea/coffee between meals now, which increases essential antibacterial mineral absorption at meal times as does the orange juice. Red meat is good as well as it's high in iron.

Um no Daz, it only took my skin a few days to recover from the BP, and about a week to break out like crazy from the lack of bacterial control on the existing comedoes. My skin didn't look so bad the first week I was off the BP. It looked so much healthier. It didn't start to look nasty again until I started the Ivory soap thing, and it took only a few days to develop some pretty bad surface dehydration despite my oily skin. This wasn't like the flaking that the retionids and BP caused....It was more like fine lines and wrinkles and a rough feeling all over my face.......

Tonight was my last night with the Ivory.....I'm switching to Dove this week, and doing a do nothing regimen. Just wash and use SPF lotion during the day....and tons of makeup to cover up my nasty skin......

I currently have a nasty breakout going on and all of a sudden I have nasty, really inflamed chest acne....it's painful to wear a bra and a seat belt is excruciating.

I do actually have seborrheic dermatitis. Not on my scalp though, but on the areas where my face is the oilest, like the creases of my nose and on my forehead. It's itchy and scaly there.....yuck....

I hate my skin.....

I never said I hate SLS. I can't have it in my toothpaste, but it's fine in my shampoo and face wash if it's at a low level. I can't do the Dial thing. My hands get all red and itchy, and sometimes blistered if I wash with dial. I have an intoleracne to Triclosan. I can handle the zinc stuff, but I'm not ever going to wash my face with Head and Shoulders.....I think it would be too drying to use a shampoo on my face, as if the Ivory wasn't bad enough.......the surfactant levels are just too high in a shampoo for my liking.....

Besides.....I don't want to control the bacteria right now. I want to let it get as bad as it can, before it gets cystic and starts to scar again. Then I go to a derm and get my Rx for Accutane....I'm sick of this shit........

My doctor told me that I had sensitive skin. I thought if I washed my skin and it got a little red it was working. oh well.

Anyway my doc told me that I should use dove soap for sensitive skin (the bar soap) She said with my sensitive and Super oily skin, it would help clear up my acne. She said that my acne was probably aggrivated by harsh products. I always thought that is my face felt tight and it was squeeky clean, It was working. I must say that I have seen a lt of improvement with dove. it's ph is 7.0 normally. it's the same ph as water.

I have tried at least 50 different products for acne and normal skin. I'm a complete product junkie. If something said it was for acne, or if it was NEW and Improved, I had to have it! Nothing worked for me.

As of right now, I'm Sticking with washing with dove for sensitive skin in the morning and night, and I use a stridex pad w/o alchohol or something with witch hazel to tone my skin. If I have to moisturize, I use aloe vera (from my garden) or some oil-free acne lotion I have in my cabinet, but I only put it on the occasional dry patch.

Ivory soap is some sick shit, omfg. That stuff made my skin all crackly and dry and eeeew around my laugh lines and i got little marks on my forehead. I don't have an allergy or intolerance to anything so I'm pretty versatile and anything works for me. I think the BP works better when paired up with another acne medication like Triclosan(which I use).

...And for the record, I would highly reccomend NOT using shampoo on your face.

...And for the record, I would highly reccomend NOT using shampoo on your face.

Why not? My god, I've been washing my face with shampoo for years and years...

Bryan