Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AnnoyedGal

Suggestion for my "big pore" scars?? Anyone do a PCA peel?

Hi all,

I am INdian, so have darker skin..I have these super annoying "stretched pore" like acne scars on my cheeks which DRIVE ME NUTS! I also have some hyperpigmentation and generally now a ruddy looking complexion as result of past acne etc... I have had a series of microderms (6) and it didnt do anything except help the big pores on my nose a bit... I emailed a plastic surgeon who suggested Fraxel (at $4400 for 4 treatments!!!) but I am scared of burning or hyperpigmentation... A medical esthetician suggested "PCA peels" (Physician Choice) which are gentle for ethnic skin... She said we could combine this with microderms (I have had no results with that.) This would cost a couple of hundred bucks... Can anyone suggest anything that has ACTUALLY worked? Not just things they have heard might work??? Has anyone had retinoids help with scarring?? I used Retin A Micro a few years ago and it broke my face out lie crazy and made it the oiliest it has EVER been...

Hi all,

I am INdian, so have darker skin..I have these super annoying "stretched pore" like acne scars on my cheeks which DRIVE ME NUTS! I also have some hyperpigmentation and generally now a ruddy looking complexion as result of past acne etc... I have had a series of microderms (6) and it didnt do anything except help the big pores on my nose a bit... I emailed a plastic surgeon who suggested Fraxel (at $4400 for 4 treatments!!!) but I am scared of burning or hyperpigmentation... A medical esthetician suggested "PCA peels" (Physician Choice) which are gentle for ethnic skin... She said we could combine this with microderms (I have had no results with that.) This would cost a couple of hundred bucks... Can anyone suggest anything that has ACTUALLY worked? Not just things they have heard might work??? Has anyone had retinoids help with scarring?? I used Retin A Micro a few years ago and it broke my face out lie crazy and made it the oiliest it has EVER been...

Am asian Indian and have light/fair olive skin tone. In last 5 years, I have tried different treatments with varying success and results.

Sometime back, I have tried substantial no. of micro-dermabrasion sessions ( 18 ) combined with Obagi blue peels ( 5 nos. ). And as you mentioned, it didn't help with scars per say or even big scarred pores.

I corrected bigger / medium depth scars with dermal grafts with very satisfying results and am now trying improve scarred pores and some shallow indentations with Fraxel.

I have 6 treatments so far and am seeing significant reduction in pores and shallow scars.

I think the factors that might have contributed in my positive experience are :

a) We are very cautiously and slowly increasing the setting 'cause of skin color/tone ( we discussed this clearly in the inital consultation ). My 6th treatment was at level 15.

b) The treatments are spaced at 3 to 4 weeks apart so there is enough time for skin to recover from previous treatment.

c) My doctor indicated that I might require more than 4 treatments, so I have chosen to do partial treatments ( only cheeks, nose and a small part of forehead ) where my scarring is concentrated. That way, I can keep the cost reasonable and not feel bad even though I get modest results ( it's chance after all. right ? ) Am paying 400 $ / treatment.

d) After experience with different treatments, I know that some invasive treatments might cause color / pigment change, especially in non white skin. And am not doing full face treatments.

After 5 treatments, am seeing slight darkening of the treated areas. My doctor feels it would go away 4-6 weeks after my last treatment and am not doing anything for that right now.

But am ready to use HQ based bleaching cream or even a superficial peel after am done with Fraxel. I feel, that solving the problem of hyper pigmentation is far easier than actually improving scars or pores.

Hi Coolbreeze,

So the peels didnt help at all for smaller scars?? The price the doctor is quoting me for Fraxel is 4400 for 4 treatments!!! And I am so scared of hyperpigmenting since my skin is sensitive...I dont want to be left with permanent burn marks or spots. Which state do you live in?? I live in MA which might explkain why its so expensive. How old are you just out of curiosity? At different ages, people have different healing of the skin I guess... THanks!

Hi Coolbreeze,

So the peels didnt help at all for smaller scars?? The price the doctor is quoting me for Fraxel is 4400 for 4 treatments!!! And I am so scared of hyperpigmenting since my skin is sensitive...I dont want to be left with permanent burn marks or spots. Which state do you live in?? I live in MA which might explkain why its so expensive. How old are you just out of curiosity? At different ages, people have different healing of the skin I guess... THanks!

I live in SF bay area (CA). Fraxel doesn't leave permanent marks / burns if used at appropriate settings and by a qualified doctor. I too have extremely senstive skin. Pls. PM me for more details.

Hi,

Thanks for the info...How low of a setting are they treating you at? Are you male or female? And what are the immediate after effects of treatment (downtime ets.) Basically what does your face look like after treatment? Thanks

Hi Coolbreeze,

I live in SF bay area (CA). Fraxel doesn't leave permanent marks / burns if used at appropriate settings and by a qualified doctor. I too have extremely senstive skin. Pls. PM me for more details.