Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ive been looking forward to today for ages. Why? Because it was my first appointment at the hospital to see a dermatologist. The good news is he has percribed roaccutane to me for free on the NHS. The bad news is he decided it would be best to start the treatment in the autumn when there is less sun. Also i will have to give up alcohol, the one thing in my life that brings back my confidence to what it was before acne.

Anyway reading up on roaccutane ive come across peoples expreiences of acne, and it made me think about how its changed my life over the years ive had it (15-22years old). So ive compiled a list of things that acne has done to my life that i hate:

* I cant get up and go on a morning, i first have to look in the mirror several times, wash, moisterise, then look in the mirror some more.

* I have developed a fear of hairdressers (barbers) because i have to sit in a bright room in front of a big mirror where other people can see me.

* I cant go into fast food restuarants such as McDonalds because i think people will look at me and assume "he's got acne because of all the greasy food he eats".

* I cant look new people i meet in the eyes beacuse i know what there first impression of me will be.

* I dont like people standing close to me or touching me beacuse i think acne always looks better from afar.

* I split with my girlfriend at uni because i was so ashamed of myself i would only ever see her when i was drunk and in a dark bar or club.

* I dont want to renew my passport because i will have to get a photo taken, and i dont do photo's anymore.

* I drank heavily, especially at uni (50-70 units a week) to bring back my confidence.

Im just hoping that once my roaccutane treatment is over, the physical and metal scars start to fade.

Good look with your roaccutane treatment. The list of things in your life now sounds a lot like mine. I dread the hairdressers too, there is nothing worse than when they have washed your hair and they plonk you infront of the mirror with the light shining down on your face at the worst possible angle!

I am sure once this treatment kicks in your life will change like never before. It is easy for me to say don't let acne rule your life, but I know that is hard to put into practice. Take care, keep your chin up, and look forward to your acne free days ahead! :D

hi andy,

i liked your list. a lot of them were true for me as well. especially fear of hairdressers! i only ever go if my skin is looking ok. it takes age for me to get the courage. now i use a barber that is very quick and whose shop is usually empty! thankfully he has cut it ok so far tho. it's v cheap as well.

i'm so slow at getting ready in the morning i'm always late. i wish i cud be quick, just get up 20mins before the bus say. my parents are always cross with me for taking so long and i endure some ridicule for it. they dont realise the routine i have to follow!

anyway... good luck wth the accutane.

tim

hi andy,

i liked your list. a lot of them were true for me as well. especially fear of hairdressers! i only ever go if my skin is looking ok. it takes age for me to get the courage. now i use a barber that is very quick and whose shop is usually empty! thankfully he has cut it ok so far tho. it's v cheap as well.

i'm so slow at getting ready in the morning i'm always late. i wish i cud be quick, just get up 20mins before the bus say. my parents are always cross with me for taking so long and i endure some ridicule for it. they dont realise the routine i have to follow!

anyway... good luck wth the accutane.

tim

;)

Hey,

Ive been on roaccutane for 5months now, and I know how you feel bout the whole acne thing, I dont go out much. Anyway feel free to ask me questions whatever :D