Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
2KFan

My fear about going on Antibiotics..

my Dad had Acne at my age(21) and he said, "antibiotics cleared me up, but then when i stopped taking them, the acne came back". i mean, you cant take antibiotics your whole life right? doesnt everyone always talk about, "yeah people's skin looks great on meds, but once they come off them--watch out! breakout city!"

your Dad does have a very good point, the first time I took acne meds was last summer, and it was only for some back acne that i had. I had always had a relatively clear face until then. So, my doc gave me some meds to clear up my back, and the Minocycline did just that... then a few months later poor 'ol me became immune to Minocycline... and then that's when I really started having acne problems on my face. My body had become dependant on the medication, so I had to find something new. Then something else. Right now I'm currently on three different kinds of medication (Bactrim, Duac, and Differin). It sucks and I hate having to put up with all this acne and putting on all these medications. I even went as far as trying no meds for a month (in the month of Feb.)... biggest mistake I ever made. My face broke out like crazy, so I had to get back on them. If I could do it all again, I never would have taken anything... I'm not sure what would have happened... but I never really had a face acne problem up til 19 (i'm 20 now) when I started taking acne meds. I guess for me I'm just going to have to keep medicating my skin until "nature takes it course" and I stop getting acne... but who knows how long that could be, right? So, if your acne isn't all that bad, and it doesn't really bug you that much, I'd say think twice about what you want to do. If you feel like you just can't live with the acne you have now, and want something to get rid of it, well then go see a derm, and they'll get you something. Hope that helps :)

thanks zief.. yeah its a huge decision im gonna have to make. my acne is between mild and moderate...

yah, i mean, before i started taking my acne medication my dad said something similar you what your dad is saying... unfortunately I brushed off his advice and thought i'd just get this back acne cleared up and then i'll be good to go. I was suprised how dependant my system became on all the chemicals and medications, but, I'm like 95% clear now with everything I take, it's just such a hassle to put up with, and if I didn't take anything for a few days - well then as you put it - i'd be headed to Breakout City.

you said you take different antibiotics right? isnt your face used to them now? like i heard from illy(a member of this board) that antibiotics will stop working(as you stated) then you have to switch antibiotics, and its a hellacious cycle. how many different antibiotics have you gone through?

thanks zief.. yeah its a huge decision im gonna have to make. my acne is between mild and moderate...

i had that same type and was put on minocycline 50mg and within 2 weeks was clear, i loved it, after like a year though, i became imune, and ogt mmore zits, most likely due to the "fall breakout" time, so i was upped to 100mg and im almost clear except for twp or three, and some red marks

you said you take different antibiotics right? isnt your face used to them now? like i heard from illy(a member of this board) that antibiotics will stop working(as you stated) then you have to switch antibiotics, and its a hellacious cycle. how many different antibiotics have you gone through?

I've been on Minocycline, then after I became immune switched to Bactrim... then when Bactrim stopped working alone switched to Bactrim and Duac... then when those weren't keeping me clear, the derm (just the other day actually) has me on Bactrim, Duac, and Differin... so yah when I throw a new medication into the mix there is someone of an adjustment period, but it's not that bad for me cause i'm not "switching" medications as much as I am just adding one to my pre-existing meds. Doc says if i'm not all clear though my beginning of May, he's gonna give me Accutane... and that should be fun :bah:

Did u use some kind of topicals while u were on antibotics? they suppose to help i think

I've been on Minocycline, then after I became immune switched to Bactrim... then when Bactrim stopped working alone switched to Bactrim and Duac... then when those weren't keeping me clear, the derm (just the other day actually) has me on Bactrim, Duac, and Differin... so yah when I throw a new medication into the mix there is someone of an adjustment period, but it's not that bad for me cause i'm not "switching" medications as much as I am just adding one to my pre-existing meds. Doc says if i'm not all clear though my beginning of May, he's gonna give me Accutane... and that should be fun :bah: