Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
longshot

Pictures of my skin...a few questions.

My face is usually clear except for the occasional cyst/pustule on my cheek or chin. Right now I have a huge cyst on my chin and one that is hopefully at its end on my cheek. Other than that I have a few smallish pimples on my forehead, which I never had until I started Retin A about 3 weeks ago (but I think this is just part of the initial purge, because my forehead is usually clear.) Anyway, I was wondering if my acne is severe since I have cysts. I have attached pictures. Although it is difficult to tell from the pictures the pimple on my chin (second picture) is a soon-to-be cyst. It is small now, but if i know my skin it is definately developing into a cyst and the pimple in the middle of my cheek was a cyst (but hopefully is on its way out). Everything else is pretty much your normal pimple or a result of me picking what was a whitehead.

I guess I wanted to know what my acne is considered...and if you guys think retin a at night and bp during the day is the best thing i can do for my skin at this point. Do you guys think accutane is necessary or even a possibility for me?

Thanks all!

post-38630-1144378570_thumb.jpg

post-38630-1144378594_thumb.jpg

post-38630-1144378570_thumb.jpg

post-38630-1144378594_thumb.jpg

I guess today was not the best day to take the pictures. They don't look like cysts right now, but the one on the cheek was a cyst for about 2 weeks and is much smaller now (i had great luck with it and that is probably because I did not pick it at all--usually my cysts last at least a month but probably because I pick them)... and the one on my chin is almost certainly going to become a cyst. Its small right now, but is showing all the signs of becoming a cyst (I have done what i could to control it, but its been around for a week and has shown no signs of leaving...it has slowly gotten progressively worse). Maybe once it is actually a cyst I'll repost a pic. But anyway...what Im asking is if i get about one cyst a month (sometimes two) and a few other pimples (mostly whiteheads, but some pustules and such) what level of severity is my acne? and what is the best treatment?

ok i thought this might be a better picture of the cyst on my cheek...and the second pic shows the scars ive gotten from picking past cysts (sorry im making a face in the picture...i took the picture for other purposes and then noticed how visible my scars were). I have to admit that as long as i dont pick them the scars fade MUCH more quickly. I have scars from a cyst that i didnt pick right between my eyebrows and you cant even see them in pictures today even though they are only 1 month old. the ones on my cheeks are much more visible even though they are from about 4 or 5 months ago.

if i get a cyst about once a month that lasts for about a month does that mean my acne is severe?

post-38630-1144385255_thumb.jpg

post-38630-1144385274_thumb.jpg

post-38630-1144385255_thumb.jpg

post-38630-1144385274_thumb.jpg

no.. accutane is for waay more severe acne. And your acne isn't severe by any stretch of the imagination! ! If you got cysts like that all over your face, all the time, i would say yes - but that doesn't even look like a cyst to me. I would say try Dan's regimen adn see how it does. Although I have seen people will acne similar to yours get accutane, I wouldn't recommend it... the slight clearing won't be worth the trouble of the side effects, the derm appointments, blood work, and general distress! You have gorgeous skin, don't fret!

I usually have like one cyst in a given time along with like 2-3 active pimples which isnt bad but would they prescribe accutane if i have mild chest and backne and extremly oily skin?

Those arn't cysts... seriously,

This is a cyst, i think..

[attachmentid=4118]

and the redness isnt the end of the swelling, there is about another cm in diameter of swelling I basically can't move my bottom lip...

post-6225-1144415319_thumb.jpg

post-6225-1144415319_thumb.jpg

Those arn't cysts... seriously,

This is a cyst, i think..

[attachmentid=4118]

and the redness isnt the end of the swelling, there is about another cm in diameter of swelling I basically can't move my bottom lip...

Haven a little fun with photoshop??

Wow, you really have a good complexion... Your the type of skin wherein if you scar, it would vanish in a couple of months...

Don't worry about your acne... That's not even acne, it's just pimples...

ok guys...i know it doesnt look like a cyst. my camera sucks, but can we pretend that it is a cyst (it is small right now, but it was a cyst about a week ago, but i was very good and didnt touch it so the swelling subsided). if i get one or two cysts liek that a month and my skin is for the most part clear with an ocasional whitehead or small pimple what severity is my skin? the way this board is labeled i thought having any cysts at all automatically put me in the sever acne category. am i wrong?

ok guys...i know it doesnt look like a cyst. my camera sucks, but can we pretend that it is a cyst (it is small right now, but it was a cyst about a week ago, but i was very good and didnt touch it so the swelling subsided). if i get one or two cysts liek that a month and my skin is for the most part clear with an ocasional whitehead or small pimple what severity is my skin? the way this board is labeled i thought having any cysts at all automatically put me in the sever acne category. am i wrong?

Naah... having multiple cysts is called severe acne. Having one is.. called.. having a cyst :lol:

You have very nice skin, just be happy it's not worse and either keep doing what you're doing or try the clear skin regimen.

For the record.

IPB Image

thanks guys! my cheek actually looked like the upper circled cyst in that last picture. luckily though the rest of my skin is not as affected. i didnt touch it and the swelling really went down. based on my last 2 cysts i have become a firm believer in not touching cysts, cus they both shrunk significantly within 2 weeks, as opposed to the normal 1 month of dealing with a full-blown cyst. i still have a little bumpiness and redness in place of those cysts but thats ok.

Yea touchin them definatly does aggrevate.. well if your not happy with your skin see a doctor, perhaps a course of antibiotics would calm your skin down enough to prevent you getting cysts and instead normal pimples.

My skin only has one spot and that is the cyst at the moment... But when I saw the doctor she put me on a week's worth of Erythromycin to bring down the sweeling for the cyst. But she didnt think that my skin was bad enough to put me on a a repeat perscription. She asked me "do you suffer from acne?" So all be it I had a massive cyst I was quite pleased she had to ask!

Haven a little fun with photoshop??

no.. accutane is for waay more severe acne. And your acne isn't severe by any stretch of the imagination! ! If you got cysts like that all over your face, all the time, i would say yes - but that doesn't even look like a cyst to me. I would say try Dan's regimen adn see how it does. Although I have seen people will acne similar to yours get accutane, I wouldn't recommend it... the slight clearing won't be worth the trouble of the side effects, the derm appointments, blood work, and general distress! You have gorgeous skin, don't fret!

r u kidding! amberlynne, you write in her journal everyday, has no acne and she's on accutane. i dont think it's fair you tell this girl it's not for her. her dr. would be the judge of that.

Your skin was similar to mine at my clearest on my last regimen (retin-a micro/duac gel/orthotricyclen). I'd always have one or two cysts and a small handful of pustules. But that was being on retin-a for 4 months and differin for the past 3......before that I actually had moderate/ severe cystic acne....like that picture (the Regimen cleared up about half of it).

Lately as the weather is warming up the cysts are back bigtime, my retin-a isn't holding up anymore and the duac isn't helping.......I refuse to take antibiotics for acne, so topicals is all I get.......I planning on getting Accutane without ever taking antiboitics, but I need a derm to see the light, or I need to outright lie to get it.......

A derm will not give you accutane for acne like that. You have mild acne....if that's what your skin looks like three weeks into retin-a (initial breakout). One cyst is just that.....one cyst.....It's not a face full of them, and your skin looks pretty good.....

Stick with the retin-a/BP for at least 3 months before you even consider Accutane for that....the retin-a might be all you need......

thanks labgirl, and everyone else who responded. im gonna stick out my retina/bp regimen for 3 months (unless something disastrous occurs).

it may just be the pictures, but I don't see any cysts. I think you should just stick with what you're doing.

A dermatologist can inject a chemical that dissolves the cyst in 36 hours. Yes, amazing. My former derma never mentioned this to me. My new derma let's me call am]nd come in same day for "emergency" injection and YES, it works.

it may just be the pictures, but I don't see any cysts. I think you should just stick with what you're doing.

A dermatologist can inject a chemical that dissolves the cyst in 36 hours. Yes, amazing. My former derma never mentioned this to me. My new derma let's me call am]nd come in same day for "emergency" injection and YES, it works.

Is this the cortisone injections ive been hearing about?

Im not a derm, but your acne seems very similar to mine. It looks like you have cystic acne. A cyst is simple a pimple that is underneath the skin and doesnt come to a head. It doesnt need to be huge or make you look like your face was deformed. A cyst is painful, but might not even be all that noticable. I never though I had TERRIBLE acne as in my face never looked like the elephant man's, however I got occaisional cysts similar to yours, maybe a little more severe. I went to the derm because my acne was not just around my time of the month anymore and it seemed worse. I found out I actually have cystic acne and I had two choices- accutane or a mix of bactrim, prednisone, and clindamax lotion. I opted for the latter- accutane is scary. The mix works miracles. My face is all one texture now and it isnt red and I have no more cysts or whiteheads. However, if my mix stops working its tane time for me.

So Long Shot, if you have cystic acne you have severe acne. Severe acne is not just measured by how bad it looks-its the type of pimples. cystic acne is always severe even if it doesnt look severe. If you have uneven texture or bumps you may have cysts under your skin waiting to emerge which will be ugly. Plus, cysts can scar you. If I were you Id go to a derm and get checked out and see what my options are. You may be told to go on accutane even if your skin isnt disgusting- I was. You might be like me- seemingly mild-moderate but really cystic. So hopefully you'll get checked out and everything will be happy.

Good Day.

Leah thanks so much for the information you provided. I definately have cysts and although they do not dominate my face, they are painful and quite large. I think I will have to see a derm because although i have been able to shorten their life span to maybe 2-3 weeks, I feel as though i shouldnt have them at all.

I am afraid to go on accutane. Especially with the summer coming up.

As far as everyone else's responses...no one offended me. I know people were just offering their opinions and I know that the pictures were not the best dipictions of cysts and there is a lot of confusion among people on here as to what is a cyst so i am sure most people who were telling me i didnt have cysts were just trying to help. thank you to all!

Well glad your not offended.

Leah I think your taking peoples responses a bit out of hand, I mean everyone gets cysts confused even dermatologists who often refer to cysts as being pimples larger than 0.5cm across, which is of course not accurate.

I have had many pustules that feel like cysts but turn out not to be. I know everyones skin is different and I'm not saying longshot doesn't have cysts but from the pictures she provided I would highly doubt it.

I'm only going down this route as I was sure I had cystic acne up untill I just got a real one this week. Now yes cysts can vary in size but I knew straight away it felt totally different to every other spot I have ever had mainly pain! I can also appreciate that men get larger spots than women so perhaps I cant judge.

Anyway saying that we were dismissing her was wrong, if we were we wouldn't reply.

But would the fact I got one large cyst allow me to call my acne severe? No. But I think mild acne can have just as much of an effect on someone as severe, well perhaps not quite an effect but still a large effect. At the end of the day if your skin is bothering you to the point where you feel depressed see a dermatologist and listen to there recommendations.