Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MarioP317

Folliculitis with acne keloids

Hello,

First, let me introduce myself. My name is Mario and I just turned 24. I'm also a white male. Since I was about 13, i have been battling acne. When I turned 15, I started to lose hair near the crown of my scalp and developed large nodules and started getting what i thought was sweat pimples at the base of scalp on my neck(back). After Going to a few dermatoligists, I was prescribed acutane and most all my acne cleared up. I also received shot of steroids directly into the nodules on my scalp.

After I was forced off acutane due to weight gain, cholestrol issues and other random perk of the drug, I was placed on an antibiotic. After nearly a year of taking it, i was taken off all drugs. When I turned 19, I started noticing acne in the areas again, and also on my back and chest. It got to the point where I was forced to go back to the doctors. After 3 different dermatolists and my insurance refusing the prescription of just about every drug they were trying to give me, the doctor refused me to some insurance issues.

So I have tried just about everything I can get my hands on. Living in NY, and making the salary I make, doesn't provide me with decent insurance, and I make too much to go on state provided insurances. No dermatoligist in the area accepts my current insurance as well. I have tried about every OTC drug, alcohol every day to dry them out, ProActiv, Nettle leaves, Bump(found in a Barbor shop with primarily Black customers), tea tree oil, and all sorts of acne scrubs. Nothing works.

The last doctor I saw was the only one that diagnosed me correctly I think. I believe what i have is folliculitis with Acne Keloids. Most of the ones on my scalp are what I call, 'dead.' They don't seem active much at all. But on the base of my scalp at my neck(back), I have sever bumps. None are bigger than dime or anything, but I have many of them, along with tufts of hair. I go through alot of pain every now and then when I wear collared(my job requires them) shirts or sleep on my back at night.

I'm pretty much at the end of my rope. I hate living with this, and just want something to stop it and make the area flat again. The acutane was the ONLY thing that worked, but as most know, the drug is horrible. And due to the lack of insurance working for me, I am stuck with home remedies and over the counter things. Any help is good help.

Thank you for your time,

Mario

I'm not very knowledgable about folliculitis with acne keloids, so i dont really have any advice...but i wanted you to know that this community is great and someone here will have some advice for you so just hang in there.

best of luck with your condition!

hmmm...interesting. thanks for creating awareness. perhaps if no one answers this thread you might want to repost it with the title "folliculitis with acne keloids" so that it attracts people who are more knowledgable about it. i think the board tends to me more active during the week so see how it goes.

good luck!

I don't have anything close to what those pictures look like at all. I sometimes get a painful bump or two with a scaley scalp. I'm trying jojoba oil on my scalp. Try to see if that works. Also going to put tea tree oil in my shampoo.

Thx. :)

I really can't say bc the doctor is not even sure what it is. :doh: I'm going to another dr. But my scalp looks nothing like that.

MarioP317, is your condition as bad as in the pictures? cus if not perhaps you want to try what xiomara is doing?

Well it's as bad a some of the pictures, the only difference is I don't let mine stay irratated very long if I can. The majority of those bumps are very irratated. My entire collar line is loaded with them, and they trail to the crown of my scalp.

And Xiomara, if it was you that I replied to in your post, folliculitis and what this thread shows are completely different. Scabs of unknown origin upon your scalp are the signs that small bumps deep in the follicule broke. I have more background in the study than most dermatologists.

And thank you for your help longshot, but it seems many doctors don't even know what to do with my situation other than a general drug to try to cure it such as accutane or a laser treatment. The majority of the info I have on it, I received from some skin scientists in Albany NY, and judging by the concerns on this site, the biggest concern seem to be cystic acne, which is very treatable with medications.

Thanks for that info Mario. I'm goint to go to another derm.

Can this leave bald spots? I hope not.

sorry mario we couldnt be of more help to you. i am surprised that no one here is suffering from the same condition. hang in there. at least they have a name for what you have...that means someone is thinking about it. good luck!

they can leave bald spots, in time and in theory. What you will see are tufts of hair if the conditions become worse. It's important you don't over wash your scalp, one of the biggest mistakes I made.

And yea, for the longest time I was being treated as if it was cystic acne. Only til after I contacted some labs that did research on this, I found info on it, and some small bits of info on sites.

what can you do to treat it?

and how did you over wash? i have to wash my hair everyday bc i have a very oily scalp and when i leave it dirty that's when i get those the most.

Yea, that's how I am. I'm taking it you have thick hair as well?

I generally took a shower 2 times a day. There are 'treatments' you can do to take care of your oily scalp though that are kinda gross. Using regular apple cider vinegar restores the pH balance of your scalp to normal. granted you stick like a nasty old salad, but it's one of the best things to do. You will notice dandruff(if you have any) to slow down as well.

And folliculitis, sadly has no cure. Laser treatment seems to be the only way to solve it as of now, hence why I came here to see if someone could help me out. Thinks you can do, are avoid short hair cuts, itching the scabs off causing swelling, and over washing the area with shampoos that can dry your skin.

Well it's as bad a some of the pictures, the only difference is I don't let mine stay irratated very long if I can. The majority of those bumps are very irratated.

Hey.. I think i have something similar to that... how do you not let your zits stay irritated?

I personally use Tea tree oil shampoo with jojoba oil... I have a feeling that jojoba oil isnt the greatest for my condition, might leave my scalp oily, so I ordered a tea tree oil shampoo without it...

Any shampoo you would recommend? How about something natural like that http://www.mypure.co.uk/product.php?product=3&backtosub=20# which I could then add some tea tree oil into it... How about aniti-dandruff shampoo? any good?

I am also tempted to use some Proactiv cleanser with bp on problem regions but im afraid it will dry up the scalp which can have the opposite effect and produce more oil... I have used it in the past and never witnessed discoloration...

btw.. I also tried salycic acid based shampoo.. but it just made the case worst... salycic acid is definately not for me...